Gaming mouse

origional

I was thinking of buying a new gaming mouse but can't really find one that I think will be any better than what I have - microsoft sidewinder.

What I would like is one that has more buttons. Forgetting your left and right click as these are pretty tied up in game, the sidewinder gives you three to use.

What I like about the sidewinder is the positioning of the two side buttons, one above the other. Most others ive seen have them placed one in front of the other and it's far more awkward to move between the two and I suspect you'll probably end up pressing the furthest one back by accident quite often. The RAT series are certainly like this.

I looked at the new Razor with a how keypad of buttons but they also look to far back to be able to access effectively. Unfortunately no stores have them out to try.

The wow steelseries mouse looks like it could be of interest as it appears to have 3 or 4 buttons on the side, with 2 or 3 position horizontally - not exactly sure as from experience a button isnt necessarily a button on gaming mice these days. (example, 3 buttons on the sidewinder are just for dpi control)

I did think about the nostromo keypad as well, anyone with experience of that at all?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Naga all the way for MMO's. Also, contrary to popular rumour milling, Razer gear is pretty damn sturdy unless you are the hulk or something.

I've used various Razer stuff for years (keyboards, headsets, mice). The only time I've had any of it fail was after a year and a half with my first copperhead, it started disconnecting due to a fault with the cable. Contacted Razer about it and they replaced it with a brand new one, free of charge, despite the fact it was out of warranty due to them saying it was a manufacturing issue with the early models.

I want to try a naga first as im not convinced I will be able to access all the buttons properly and it's pretty expensive, though online prices seem to be about £30 cheaper than store prices.

Yeah it's quite pricey I just bought G930 headset and now I'm waiting for my g5 to expire (3 years still working perfectly) then im going to buy the naga

I have a Naga. I tried binding all of my abilities to the keypad on the side. I just don't see it ever being comfortable hitting those buttons while trying to coordinate the mouse. (For example: moving the mouse to the left while effectively "pushing" your mouse to the right by hitting the buttons.) What I did is bind the 1 and 2 keys on the Naga to modifiers(Shift and Alt). Now I have all of my abilities bound in easy reach on the keyboard and my modifiers are easier to reach than if I were keyboarding them. Feels like a waste not using all 17 keys but this setup has been working for me so far.

I have a Naga. I tried binding all of my abilities to the keypad on the side. I just don't see it ever being comfortable hitting those buttons while trying to coordinate the mouse. (For example: moving the mouse to the left while effectively "pushing" your mouse to the right by hitting the buttons.) What I did is bind the 1 and 2 keys on the Naga to modifiers(Shift and Alt). Now I have all of my abilities bound in easy reach on the keyboard and my modifiers are easier to reach than if I were keyboarding them. Feels like a waste not using all 17 keys but this setup has been working for me so far.

Yeah I thought it was just me, but having my keybinds on the side of the mouse never felt natural.

Another vote for the naga. It really changed how I played MMO's when I got mine.

Getting used to all of the keys might be tricky at first, but it comes to you relatively quickly. I've also had mine for many years now and it still works perfectly.

If the idea of all those keys really do bug you they have a new one coming out that has six buttons on the side. It's designed more for action games and MOBA's, but it should work well for most MMO players.

I bought a Naga two weeks ago and it has definitely taken some getting used to. I had to force myself to keep working at it. But now that my thumb is used to reaching those buttons there's nothing else I'd want to play an mmo with.

Another vote for the naga. It really changed how I played MMO's when I got mine.

Getting used to all of the keys might be tricky at first, but it comes to you relatively quickly. I've also had mine for many years now and it still works perfectly.

If the idea of all those keys really do bug you they have a new one coming out that has six buttons on the side. It's designed more for action games and MOBA's, but it should work well for most MMO players.

I could probably see that a bit more. Using the 6 keys as supplementary when I run out of primary left keys instead of shift+1-6, etc.

Yeah I thought it was just me, but having my keybinds on the side of the mouse never felt natural.

Same.

I couldn't find a mouse that I really liked that had side buttons where I wanted them, so I just bound half the buttons on the Naga to Shift, and the other half to Alt and used them as modifiers.

This way, my fingers never had to go farther then one key away from ESDF (1-5, Q- T, A-G and Z-B) while allowing me access to 48 separate keybinds.

I've always been meh on mice with that many buttons. I may love it if I get it one day, but it looks very unwieldy.

I have a Razer DeathAdder, and I love it. People using my computer are always surprised at the speed of the mouse, and then the comfort of it.

I have also tried the Logitech gaming mouse (whatever it's called) and it is super comfortable.

Those would be my personal votes :)

That thing looks hideous and looks huge.

I would try one, but my G-500 has been amazing, I like how I was able to weight mine to make it a bit heaver too Or light when I want to be.

most certinately is not huge. It's gorgeous, it glows multi colors, at least naga epic does and is a wireless or wired mouse. Epic also has interchangeable right side grips

if you think it's huge, you should see the wow cataclysm mouse.

Edited by Threefiddie

I got the Naga for christmas, and I really recommend it.

I hesitated on the mouse for the same reason. I have small hands and I thought I would have trouble pressing the buttons.

Certain buttons are absolutely more comfortable than others. But, I set it up so that my more frequently used spells are at the more comfortable range, and my less frequent but still important spells are elsewhere.