do people just not enjoy chatting?

ThePirateMD

Maybe it's cause im older school with online RPGs, but I always enjoy chatting up a lot while just adventuring around

maybe people are more focused on doing DPS or something, but general chat is dead

"get on guild chat" yea well I like general because it doesnt exclude anyone.

just a rant

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's cause im older school with online RPGs, but I always enjoy chatting up a lot while just adventuring around

maybe people are more focused on doing DPS or something, but general chat is dead

just a rant

I've never understood how people can gab in general chat and do anything else but then I literally can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I think a lot of us are the same way, too busy concentrating on the game to be typing in chat.

The signal to noise ratio of general makes it worthless for anything other than grouping for me. I spend my time using voice chat with my guild, far better and more modern than typing.

you forget (along with many others) that *you* can contribute to the "cesspool" that is general, and try and make it bearable. Try starting a conversation, changing topics, ignoring douche bags. It's quite easy, it just needs some effort

As to the person who says they can't multi task-- this game is pretty easy, I dunno,

just a rant

I may be contributing to the problem, but I can't help it. I try to be friendly to people and say thank you, have a good day, and so on.

My problem is the little game play time I get (it was a miracle I got 30 mins of play time in last night). When I sit down to play, I'm trying to get as much actual playing in as possible. To stop and chat it up with some strangers is a nice thing, but it takes away from playing.

I'm trying to be social, but if I can't chat it up, I at least try to be pleasant.

just a rant

Unfortunately, general chat gets filled with a lot of (for lack of a better term) trolls. I don't bother speaking much in that channel because no matter what you say, someone has a snarky comment for it. It's hard to socialize in chat when General looks like the comment section of a youtube video.

Typically if I see someone in General with a statement worth being social about, I'll send them a tell. It's just easier on me.

you forget (along with many others) that *you* can contribute to the "cesspool" that is general, and try and make it bearable. Try starting a conversation, changing topics, ignoring douche bags. It's quite easy, it just needs some effort,

Why would I? I'm nearly 40 and have little in common with those that make those "look at me" posts, I'll leave it to other that feel the need to reply to those. If I wanted to linger in general, I would not have joined a guild of like minded people I prefer to spend my leisure time with. Seems painfully obvious that I don't agree my participation is needed on my very well populated server.

As to the person who says they can't multi task-- this game is pretty easy, I dunno,

Just like I don't understnad how you can run, fight and chat at the same time, you have no clue what it's like to be as single minded as I am. I don't care how easy it is, I simply cannot do two things at once. It has it's advantages, I have an extremely high degree of concentration and can laser focus on a task but trying to do things at once just guarantees a double fail.

you forget (along with many others) that *you* can contribute to the "cesspool" that is general, and try and make it bearable. Try starting a conversation, changing topics, ignoring douche bags. It's quite easy, it just needs some effort

Wow, that is sadly a tough one.

Take low level planets, Kaas is a great example. Kaas general chat is so incredibly abusive and inappropriate that its typically a small group of 5 people who are so busy trolling each other that no one else can really use it, because it is bumped out of view by the ensuing chat war.

People say incredibly racist, sexist and inappropriate things all the time in chat just to people asking honest questions. A new player will ask a question that another player considers stupid, and people will begin with personal attacks immediately on that new player. I'll ask if anyone wants to be shown where some Datacrons are, and people, like clockwork start trolling me in chat. I ignore these people, but my initial offer to help new players is drowned out by the ensuing troll comments.

I would love to see people pay the price for being abusive and disruptive in chat. Disruptive person in chat? How about a 7 day general chat ban. That would be a nice price to pay for being an eThug.

As players get to the mid 30's level planets, people don't talk. I think a lot of people at that point are so warn down and sick of the BS that goes down in General, they don't even keep the tab open. It's not worth it. Not many productive players want to read the troll war out of the corner of their eye.

But, the way it is now, chat appears to be unenforced. It's an incredibly hostile environment to new players, and its almost impossible to do anything productive in it when there are over 75 people on the planet.

The last thing I'm interested in doing is reading what John Doe, our 14 year old Internet warrior has to say about X players mothers anatomy, etc, etc. Unfortunately, thats what low level general chat is about.

I'm convinced that instancing contributes to this feeling as well. My guild chat is going almost constantly. I can't imagine that my guildmates are the only people who chat. Its the same reason I find it difficult to get flashpoints if I'm questing on a planet - most of the people looking are in the chat channel on the fleet.

Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems that since there is no galactic/universal channel, we only get localized slices of what would otherwise be a busier chat experience.

Blame guilds, if the text isn't green people are terrified of it.

This. People don't feel a need to talk to anyone outside their guild.

Honestly this is a single player game with some (read little) group areas. Luckily those group areas are clearly marked and out of the way so you never notice them unless you are trying to do the quests for there.

Just treat it as it is. This isn't a True MMO. I've had more social interaction in Guild Wars. That's pretty sad.

This. People don't feel a need to talk to anyone outside their guild.

Honestly this is a single player game with some (read little) group areas. Luckily those group areas are clearly marked and out of the way so you never notice them unless you are trying to do the quests for there.

Just treat it as it is. This isn't a True MMO. I've had more social interaction in Guild Wars. That's pretty sad.

I noticed guilds were starting to harm the overall community in MMOs back in EQ. As the game peaked at a little over 400,000 players the community was actually feeling smaller than it did earlier on.

just a rant

I'm the same way, I like to interact in chat. It's why I'm playing an MMO.