Did Rift spoil us?

Archaegeo

I was around when Rift released and got a character up to around 40. From a technical point of view it was pretty good, but there was just something about the world itself that didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the fantasy setting that has been overly used in MMO's. I dont know.

I loved Rift but I agree there was just something a little off about the world. I never could quite put my thumb on it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else around for the launch of Rift?

I had 0 issues with it, and it seemed they poured out content.

I feel like Bioware with all the money they have coming in should be pouring out a lot more.

But so far we have 1 new flashpoint and the completion of an Op.

Flame on.

Did you play Rift at launch? My FPS was often below 20, no matter WHAT I had the graphics set to playing on a machine that ran Crysis on max settings at 60FPS. Combat was even clunkier than in this game before the previous patch. It did launch with a much better feature set, but the client was an absolute mess. The performance issues are a part of why I stopped playing that game.

Rift is my favorite game right now as far as mmo's. I was there at launch and in beta is was great i had no issues and it was fun figuring out the builds. Sooooooooo much content and customization in the game made it hard on what to pick.

i was there at rift launch and they had just has many bugs/imbalances has this game has.Also the very very failed world events were just a mess,new content yes but lasted 1 hour,lagged for four....

they added the content yes your right,but they should have fixed the stuff already there before adding new stuff.

Plus the forums were just as bad as this if not worst

This is absolute garbage. Rift had nowhere near the mountain of bugs SWTOR has. This game is overloaded with so many bugs it is laughable. The best part is Rift comes from a startup company and they are doing quite well. They will be around for quite awhile now and have 2 more mmo's in the pipe.

Hahahahaha.

That's funny.

Rift had far more content and features at launch than SWTOR and the endgame was 100x better than SWTOR's. At the moment, it is the better game. I am just hoping this will change eventually.

Trololololol

The endgame was horrid.

Edited by Asavar

Did you play Rift at launch? My FPS was often below 20, no matter WHAT I had the graphics set to playing on a machine that ran Crysis on max settings at 60FPS. Combat was even clunkier than in this game before the previous patch. It did launch with a much better feature set, but the client was an absolute mess. The performance issues are a part of why I stopped playing that game.

IT did have it's FPS issues at launch but in no way shape or form was the combat nearly as clunky at launch as it was/is in SWTOR.

Rifts new content was so buggy that the entire event failed. The world boss that spawned never even got killed. Even starts, ends, everyone wonders what happened. Next day they're apologizing about the issues and mailing everyone the drops they should have gotten.

Sounds bug free to me.

You mean the River of Souls opening event?

Wasn't a bug so much as 800+ people in the same zone attacking the same mob at the same time causes some issues in any game.

If Rift is so awesome and is the perfect game, why are you here?

I don't eat Bologna when I could be eating a steak. Get the picture?

Why are you here then? This seems weird to me.

I don't understand posts like this. You realize it's possible to like more than one game, right?

I love steak, but that doesn't mean I never eat anything else. I like SWTOR, but that doesn't mean I can't like RIFT.

I loved Rift but I agree there was just something a little off about the world. I never could quite put my thumb on it.

Yeah. It worked well and lots going on, but it wasn't engaging. Even WoW's sketchy story looked like the collected works of Shakespeare next to Rift's lore...

This is absolute garbage. Rift had nowhere near the mountain of bugs SWTOR has. This game is overloaded with so many bugs it is laughable. The best part is Rift comes from a startup company and they are doing quite well. They will be around for quite awhile now and have 2 more mmo's in the pipe.

This. BW fanboys will make up whatever they can to put down other games apparently. Rift is widely regarded as having a very polished release, and the fact is, it didn't have nearly as many bugs as this game does, plus it had many more features.

In before someone says "Lol go play rift then." Why am I playing this instead of Rift? Because I got burnt out on Rift after 6 months of raiding, and even though I think it's a better game, I've developed a taste aversion to it. So I'm here.

This. BW fanboys will make up whatever they can to put down other games apparently. Rift is widely regarded as having a very polished release, and the fact is, it didn't have nearly as many bugs as this game does, plus it had many more features.

In before someone says "Lol go play rift then." Why am I playing this instead of Rift? Because I got burnt out on Rift after 6 months of raiding, and even though I think it's a better game, I've developed a taste aversion to it. So I'm here.

It had a better launch, but as far as features there wasn't much aside from the rifts, which are almost as annoying as fun at times, it is a fairly typical MMO. Quest, kill mobs, collect things, craft stuff...

One of the issues I always had with the game was that there's no empty space. Every mob is for a quest and all mobs are spread out evenly across the entire zone, with no mob more than 5m-10m away from any other mob. That was one of the big issues for me.

It had a better launch, but as far as features there wasn't much aside from the rifts, which are almost as annoying as fun at times, it is a fairly typical MMO. Quest, kill mobs, collect things, craft stuff...

I didn't mean content per say, as much as I meant things like guild banks, guild levels, ability to invite to group from guild menu, able to retain your group after a warfront is over, and so on. Plenty of features that are standard to other MMOs, and SW:TOR doesn't have them.

You really are not going to actually compare the features of Rift and SWTOR are you? If you do you will make this game look worse than it already does.

IT did have it's FPS issues at launch but in no way shape or form was the combat nearly as clunky at launch as it was/is in SWTOR.

I respectfully disagree. I grant you my memory might be off, and it might not have been as bad as SWTOR prior to this recent patch, but I do remember thinking it was very clunky compared to WoW, especially as a DPSer. I actually seem to remember healing being significantly better than it currently is in TOR, to be 100% fair.

The performance issues annoyed me more than the clunkyness. The story and feel of the world was what eventually turned me off of the game, but it really was a pretty good game. Just not for me.

It might have been less buggy than SWTOR, but the performance issues definitely made it less smooth for me personally.

Rifts new content was so buggy that the entire event failed. The world boss that spawned never even got killed. Even starts, ends, everyone wonders what happened. Next day they're apologizing about the issues and mailing everyone the drops they should have gotten.

Sounds bug free to me.

Everything in your post is a lie.

Hey folks,

We understand that comparisons to other games is natural when talking about MMOs. However, this thread is not directly about Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and is off-topic for the forum. We'll be closing it as a result. Thanks for your understanding!

Edited by Arzhanin