How big of a bite......

Throras

I have heard that WOW has lost about 1 millions subscribers since the launch of CATA. Anyone want to speculate how big of a bite this MMO with take from WOW's subscriber base? I personally pay for three WOW accounts, but I have stopped my monthly subscriptions to WOW in order to subscribe to SWTOR, as I am unwilling to pay for both games. It seems to me that this is the first MMO to give WOW some REAL competition. What do you guys think?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that WOW has lost about 1 millions subscribers since the launch of CATA. Anyone want to speculate how big of a bite this MMO with take from WOW's subscriber base? I personally pay for three WOW accounts, but I have stopped my monthly subscriptions to WOW in order to subscribe to SWTOR, as I am unwilling to pay for both games. It seems to me that this is the first MMO to give WOW some REAL competition. What do you guys think?

Yeah it will take a big bite i think, few mil id say. But Bioware better have a better first 6 months than the last 1 or it will be down hill fast and back to wow for a lot of people....

No offense but a lot of people said that Rift was going to give WoW some trouble because it had a very smooth launch, added a lot of content post launch, and that game is never going to give WoW trouble. Now, I understand that TOR is launching with bigger numbers than Rift did, but honestly the Developers are going to have to fight an uphill battle to really dent WoW. Just my 2 creds

I don't think it will phase wow much. they are completely diff genre's and I think a lot of people who play wow won't have much interest in a sci-fi game. While I don't doubt some will migrate I highly doubt it would be more then 1m tops.

Interesting thoughts. My personal experience is this: I have played wow for about 5 years and have really loved the game. Recently I became bored and since the predominate chat in guild vent was about SWTOR and how great it was (many were in the beta). I bought the game and got into beta myself. I freakin' loved my experience. I have played wow almost every day (to some degree) for 5 years, but after playing the SWTOR beta I have not been on WOW for about 2 weeks now, because it has no appeal anymore whatsoever. We shall see how this all shakes out, but I have a feeling SWTOR will be much more competitive than the other MMOs that have launched in the last couple of years. Either way thanks Blizz and Bioware for making such great games!

Wow has bled 2 mil subs with no help from TOR at all. Q4 will be interesting, patch 4.3 will have bought some subs back...wonder if it will be enough to offset the bite TOR release will take?

I'm going to say 1-2 mil loss at Q4. Some from TOR some from people bored of wow and some from panda hate

I'm so horribly sick of WoW. Surprised that you guys really think this game won't put much of a dent in it. I still have subscription time when them and I refuse to play, just waiting to get into the EGA. I've been playing WoW since the start of BC, and I havn't complained until now. Cataclysm was horrid and pandas will make even more people quit, along with the rest of Blizzard's horrible decisions.

This isn't Aion, this isn't Rift. No, the launch won't put that much of a dent in it. But over time I have faith that the SWTOR population will grow. No clue as to why people are still playing that other game.. Horrible.

Yeah it will take a big bite i think, few mil id say. But Bioware better have a better first 6 months than the last 1 or it will be down hill fast and back to wow for a lot of people....

first 1 month* that's when most leave or stay

I don't think SW:TOR will affect WOW significantly at all. Perhaps 500k-1m subs at most for the first month(s), then they will go back due to lack of content and polishing.

Because of how much dedication MMOs need, most people don't really play two of them at the same time. So as long as WOW has better endgame it will be king.

Edited by yomanaaiton

Interesting thoughts. My personal experience is this: I have played wow for about 5 years and have really loved the game. Recently I became bored and since the predominate chat in guild vent was about SWTOR and how great it was (many were in the beta). I bought the game and got into beta myself. I freakin' loved my experience. I have played wow almost every day (to some degree) for 5 years, but after playing the SWTOR beta I have not been on WOW for about 2 weeks now, because it has no appeal anymore whatsoever. We shall see how this all shakes out, but I have a feeling SWTOR will be much more competitive than the other MMOs that have launched in the last couple of years. Either way thanks Blizz and Bioware for making such great games!

You see posts like this every time a new mmo comes out, it's nothing new.

I'm so horribly sick of WoW. Surprised that you guys really think this game won't put much of a dent in it. I still have subscription time when them and I refuse to play, just waiting to get into the EGA. I've been playing WoW since the start of BC, and I havn't complained until now. Cataclysm was horrid and pandas will make even more people quit, along with the rest of Blizzard's horrible decisions.

This isn't Aion, this isn't Rift. No, the launch won't put that much of a dent in it. But over time I have faith that the SWTOR population will grow. No clue as to why people are still playing that other game.. Horrible.

I think a lot of folks are sick of WoW just the same as you are. I grew tired of it a long time ago and have wandered the MMO wastes ever since. The real problem I think folks have with giving that game up permanently is the amount of time they may have invested in their characters, guilds, etc. Those that haven't played that long may not care but I do know that some people don't want to just up and flush all their in game work down the toilet. :)

I can't believe people still play WoW. I played for about six months from launch, got max level, did raids etc, got bored and left. I just can't play the same game over and over again and i do not understand how anyone can do that...

So you'll quit ToR in six months or less is what you are saying?

I can't believe people still play WoW. I played for about six months from launch, got max level, did raids etc, got bored and left. I just can't play the same game over and over again and i do not understand how anyone can do that...

Same here. Why are people saying SWTOR's endgame will suck? What is so great about WoW's endgame? A lot of us flat out refuse to play it and yet people are still in denial?

My theory is that a lot of the kids who like Cata are newer, or something.

i agree I've been logging into wow and after about 30 mins i end up back here reading the forums i just can't bring myself to stay in that game after the thanksgiving beta

They are at about 2 mill lost now. Anyway the highest estimates are about 1 million from WoW at best.

I think a lot of folks are sick of WoW just the same as you are. I grew tired of it a long time ago and have wandered the MMO wastes ever since. The real problem I think folks have with giving that game up permanently is the amount of time they may have invested in their characters, guilds, etc. Those that haven't played that long may not care but I do know that some people don't want to just up and flush all their in game work down the toilet. :)

I think you're right. Could be that a lot of them are getting defensive for that reason. I remember before I couldn't fathom how I would ever let go of my characters after all the work I put into them. Now I could really care less.. It's become more than apparent that the game is headed nowhere good. I mean, it's not even the same devs working on it anymore. Kind of a big deal? Eheh.

I think you're right. Could be that a lot of them are getting defensive for that reason. I remember before I couldn't fathom how I would ever let go of my characters after all the work I put into them. Now I could really care less.. It's become more than apparent that the game is headed nowhere good. I mean, it's not even the same devs working on it anymore. Kind of a big deal? Eheh.

Yeah, I'm really curious how Panda Express is going to play out. :D