NPR Gives Favorable Review of SWTOR

Naroga

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not knocking a positive review, but NPR? Honestly? They're notorious for having horrible taste in anything entertainment related (SOME is good). For instance, most of the music they review is some nobody, who usually sucks, that some college intern found and thinks they're cool because no one has ever heard of them before. I love NPR, but when they're reviewing a book, music, movie or anything else related to entertainment, I instantly change the station.

Why give a d a m n about anything NPR has to say to begin with.

NPR didn't write the review.

Edited by daemian

It's good to see that the highest authority on gaming is chiming in. I can't wait to hear what Oprah has to say about it.

SWTOR is made for casual players, so their opinion actually carries just as much, if not more, weight than yours. Playing previous MMOs for hours on end doesn't make you an expert. It just makes you set in your ways.

Hardcore gamers don't own the gaming industry - by far.

Edited by Drallbait

It's a positive spin with no talk about the actual issues with the game.

Nothing wrong with that really, but it's not a proper representation of the true state of the game. The only negative things that they bring up are "Open world" and "Space Combat." Even a true fanboy can come up with tons of issues/bugs, they just use the line, "wait and let them fix them." Either that or the infamous, "Well WoW didn't have those things at launch either."

"wait and let them fix them." Either that or the infamous, "Well WoW didn't have those things at launch either."

Both statements are true. The developers have stated multiple times that fixes are in the works. They have also been very good about releasing weekly patches.

Another good review for SWTOR. Will people cry that NPR was paid off by EA too?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=145900894

LOL. I love the review by another reader at the bottom of this NPR review. Its the only accurate thing listed on that page!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=145900894#commentBlock

This game should really be avoided right now for anyone that is looking for an 'MMO' as this game is far from that right now. It was released prematurely by at least 6 months. The amount of bugs, exploits, and poorly implemented quests and design decisions in the end-game are enough to steer clear of this one. It is saddening, however, considering that I and I'm sure millions of others anticipated this game for over 5 years. The worlds are linear, travel system is a disaster, raid/pvp loot systems are truly behind the times, the UI cannot be customized or even scaled down, no combat log, bad auction house UI, no quest variation, huge faction imbalances, instanced zones, locked-out story areas that make it feel like a single player game, no high resolution textures in game, and a plethora of performance issues too long to list.

The reviewers I've seen across the web are wildly inaccurate when giving this game high marks. I recall MMO's that came out nearly 10 years ago that had better features, writing, and gameplay than SWTOR has right now. Its a huge disappointment to say the least.

Edited by Proto

I LOVE this game.

Are there bugs? Sure.

Anything that is so absolutely disgusting I'd stop? No.

I will just play around the bugs that stop me, until they are resolved.

I will certainly keep playing this game for some time.

I have 8 class stories to pursue.

x1 for each gender [so 16] for both sets of romance arcs.

So - I have a long road ahead :)

LOL. I love the review by another reader at the bottom of this NPR review. Its the only accurate thing listed on that page!

That reviewer makes those issues out to be a lot more "game-breaking" than they really are.

Even a true fanboy can come up with tons of issues/bugs, they just use the line, "wait and let them fix them." Either that or the infamous, "Well WoW didn't have those things at launch either."

People with brains that know how to use said brains and can form coherent, logical thoughts think about issues objectively and in most cases realize that the majority of the issues the QQers on these forums bring up are:

1. Minor

2. Easily fixed

3. Likely to be fixed

4. Not uncommon in a new MMO

Said people then calmly return to the game they pay to play and they:

1. Adjust to changes

2. Roll a new character and do NOT come to the forums to announce this

3. Quit for a while and do NOT come to the forums to announce this

The review is by the Associated Press. NPR is just reprinting it. Someone over there must like MMOs.

This. Thread title is misleading.

Anyway, was a decent review. Seemed like someone who was playing this game with a 1-playthrough perspective, rather than a "I want to play this for years" perspective. As an AP game reviewer probably should.

People with brains that know how to use said brains and can form coherent, logical thoughts think about issues objectively and in most cases realize that the majority of the issues the QQers on these forums bring up are:

1. Minor

2. Easily fixed

3. Likely to be fixed

4. Not uncommon in a new MMO

Said people then calmly return to the game they pay to play and they:

1. Adjust to changes

2. Roll a new character and do NOT come to the forums to announce this

3. Quit for a while and do NOT come to the forums to announce this

^ So very accurate.

This. Thread title is misleading.

Anyway, was a decent review. Seemed like someone who was playing this game with a 1-playthrough perspective, rather than a "I want to play this for years" perspective. As an AP game reviewer probably should.

The fact that NPR did not write the article is irrelevant. They chose to run the story on their website, which suggests they endorse the review.

The fact that NPR did not write the article is irrelevant. They chose to run the story on their website, which suggests they endorse the review.

That's simply not true. They don't "endorse" every reprinted AP story on their website. They just reprint them.

It suggests they recognize video game reviews will bring traffic to their website.

SWTOR is made for casual players, so their opinion actually carries just as much, if not more, weight than yours. Playing previous MMOs for hours on end doesn't make you an expert. It just makes you set in your ways.

Hardcore gamers don't own the gaming industry - by far.

If reality actually operated this way then newspapers would feature reviews of animated movies written by 8-year-olds.

(Hint: it doesn't, and they don't).

Lots of people like the game, myself included. It just happens to be that in life people with bad things to say are far more vocal. A customer with a good experience will tell 2-3 people, a customer with a bad experience will go out of their way to tell absolutely everyone who will listen to them forever.

totally agree with you mate :)