Anyone else think SWToR is too easy and more of the same?

big_aug

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then enlighten me. Tell me where the challange used to be in MMOs. I'm quite curious.

To make a long story short (because there's literally hundreds of specific examples), prior to BC the average player would die often while leveling, take much longer to gear (and not because of your theory of having to kill more things), and actually had to put in effort into dungeons. But once Blizzard (and the rest of the MMO developers) learned that mass people were willing to play money simply to breeze through everything from start to finish nobody has made a challenging game since. Like I said, MMO's these days are about doing things as if they were a chore instead of accomplishing something as if it were an achievement. That applies to ALL aspects of MMO's from crafting, dungeons, and even trivial things like exploring and fighting mobs in general.

To make a long story short (because there's literally hundreds of specific examples), prior to BC the average player would die often while leveling, take much longer to gear (and not because of your theory of having to kill more things), and actually had to put in effort into dungeons. But once Blizzard (and the rest of the MMO developers) learned that mass people were willing to play money simply to breeze through everything from start to finish nobody has made a challenging game since. Like I said, MMO's these days are about doing things as if they were a chore instead of accomplishing something as if it were an achievement. That applies to ALL aspects of MMO's from crafting, dungeons, and even trivial things like exploring and fighting mobs in general.

My first MMO was UO, then AC, DAoC, EQ,... and so on. I really haven't gotten the sense that things are easier or harder, asside from things like pulling. They are certainly less time consuming to progress however.

My first MMO was UO, then AC, DAoC, EQ,... and so on. I really haven't gotten the sense that things are easier or harder, asside from things like pulling. They are certainly less time consuming to progress however.

Post WoW MMO players, I'm sure will have a different opinion. I let my youngest brother, born in 1995, play vanilla Everquest recently in one of those private servers, First thing he complained about...***!? no minimap!? then, where do I find quests givers! (no big questionmark above heads) *** is this typing to talk to NPC's! I lost EXP after dying! and I have to go back and get my corpse for my stuff!? what, no flight paths!? ARGH! You have to memorize spells!?

His reply to me when he got up after 15 mins was "How can you play this, it's the worst MMO ever made!"

How is he trolling? This is general discussion and all he is doing is expressing a little disappointment in the way the MMO genre is heading. Basically MMO's on easy mode.

MMO's have always been easy. Taking more time doesn't make it harder just more time consuming.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

if you old guys want a challenge, go play demon's souls on the ps3. now That game was a challenge. and talk about death penalty, if you died, you lost all your unspent souls (the game's xp) , you restarted at the beginning of the level, and every mob respawned, oh, and you then only had half of your maximum hp.

it was quite epic when i finally made it to the second boss in the game, and i look up, he's 5 times taller than me, and then he one shots me by slamming his giant tower shield on top of my head.

if you want frustration, go play that game. you will seriously want to throw your controller at the screen after a while.

anyways, but yea, this game does have that same easy-mode feel for leveling that wow brought to the genre. my complaint is that after the easy-mode leveling experience, you go and start doing hm fp's, and bosses hit really fracking hard and have hard enrage timers, that unless you're doing a certain amount of unknown dps (thanks no combat log / damage meter), then you're not going to beat it. run-on sentence, i know, but i'm just babbling at this point, lol.

'Death penalities that were actually penalties? Does anyone actually want it to take a while to level up your character EVEN if you put in a ton of time? I feel like reaching max level is a given in these games. It felt like a serious accomplishment in prior games. Sure, it got way easier the longer you played, but your first couple of characters took some work.'

Agreed, agreed, but unfortunately times have changed .. Maybe one day someone will risk doing a proper modern hardcore mmo again; perma death. world pvp that means just that, 1 year + to reach max level, crafting only classes, no UI or visible stats, an avatar you really truely care about, travelling long distances and feeling genuine peril, returning home and feeling secure and at peace again.......But untill that time there's always DAOC or even EQ 1... might look a bit pants, but hey that's what our imaginations are for........

Bold design don't play well to the masses, or so the focus groups say...............

TLDR - I'm complaining about things in general. I knew SWToR was this way when I came in, but it just makes me realize I'm tired of what these games have become. I'll still play and enjoy it for what it is but I can hope.

Pointless, unorganized thoughts. I was just bored. On a work trip with nothing but limited internet.

U want something new to the genre?

wait for TERA

No grind,easy to lvl up

insane location,ART

the map is almost twice the size wow vanilla was (exploration !!!)

open world pvp and i MEAN open world pvp-pk

pve pvp servers if u dont wanna get gank

the best political system ever made in a mmo so far.

guild vs guild battlegrounds-cross servers guilds vs guilds

Best mmo graphics to date

U3 engine thats say it all.

No more tab target..u aim ur attacks..constant movement is needed or u wil lget smashed with ease

U can have a look at twitch tv live streams all day long from s players playing the korean version.

and no because its korean its not a grindfest ( the reason it failed in korea btw..no grind )

MAY 1 release date

Edited by Maniigoldo

I'm looking at Secret World for something different myself..

Storyline written by the guy who wrote The Longest Journey (awesome game btw)

No classes, no levels.

Modern day real world setting.

Play any quest/mission you want at any time, with anyone.

Mix and match skills as you want, specialize or not, completely your choice

I'm looking at Secret World for something different myself..

Storyline written by the guy who wrote The Longest Journey (awesome game btw)

No classes, no levels.

Modern day real world setting.

Play any quest/mission you want at any time, with anyone.

Mix and match skills as you want, specialize or not, completely your choice

I haven't bothered looking up anything on Secret World but I had no idea it had help from the guy (For the life of me I can't remember his name)

I must now look up more details.

Yeah... I remember getting feared into the middle of the woods into a sub-zone full of mobs that were 8 levels higher than me and having to spend two hours trying to find my corpse again without dying to recover me gear.

I remember struggling to get a perfect group together so we could kill the exact same mob sixty times in order to gain one bar of XP...and I remember losing hours of grinding because some ******e/idiot decided to train thirty enemies onto our group while we were farming the one mob.

I remember running into players triple your level who'd one shot you and then proceed to take every item you had, which could permanently break questlines in some cases. Or even better, a character the same level as you who'd been handed endgame level gear by their alts.

I remember being given vaguely defined quests that didn't actually tell me what I was supposed to do and where I was supposed to do it, forcing me to either spend an absurd amount of time running around trying to figure out where I'm supposed to stand for the quest item to be usable, or to alt-tab and google it.

Wait no. I don't miss any of that ********.

That said, I do agree on two points:

-For an MMO, the social interaction pre-level cap in this game ( and a lot of other new MMORPGs ) is ridiculously low. There's so much content that's easily soloable... to the point where doing a normal quest in TOR with two or three people basically feels like cheating... and it makes finding groups for heroics/flashpoints kind of hard, since people are so conditioned to basically ignore everyone else's presence until endgame.

- The lack of meaningful effect on the rest of the world. I like instanced PvP, and I liked instanced dungeons... but it feels lame and immersion breaking that nothing you do effects anyone other than yourself ( and whoever you're grouped with ). No faction reputation, no meaningful world PvP objectives... Nothing.

But a lot of that crap? Naw.

I think people are confusing "Time consuming" and "tedious" with difficult. Farming mobs at high level in EQ wasn't challenging. Killing Ouro the Sandworm in Vanilla WoW wasn't a complex or difficult encounter ( amusing that we're calling Vanilla WoW hardcore when at the time everyone was marvelling over how casual it was compared to EQ... ).

The encounters didn't require an especially high level of thought. Group content was pretty much always just a gear check or a composition check, with little more depth than "Run away from X spot when Y happens" "kill or CC the adds when they spawn" at best.

I admit, at the time there was a sort of mystique to them, with how daunting and grandiose everything seemed. But looking back? Meh.

This is EXACTLY how i feel and have felt since blizz broke my heart with wow by bringing out wrath of the casual king...

Even though Wrath had arguably the hardest encounters in any of the game's expansions? At least in terms of meaningful difficulty.

I haven't bothered looking up anything on Secret World but I had no idea it had help from the guy (For the life of me I can't remember his name)

I must now look up more details.

secret world looks gdlk...

Though then again, so did a lot of MMOs.

Edited by Sylriana

I've been multi boxing a couple characters since Friday.

Man, things have changed. For the better too. If you ever played Everquest and you liked it at all, you owe it to yourself to check it out again.

A few points:

1. Faster travel (Necessary for the HUGE amount of content)

2. Huge amount of content

3. Easier leveling with mercenaries, but still much more challenging that ToR (I died more in a weekend in EQ than 2 months in ToR... still need ot get used to EQ again lol).

4. Still a pretty decent populations.

5. Getting decent gear for your level isn't too difficult

6. Quests are easier to manage

7. Hot zones encourage players to level in certain zones for increased experience

8. Well established economy - I feel like I NEED every plat I get to buy gear AND pay for my mercenary.

I'm playing on Xegony. If your interested, PM and I'll do the Refer a friend for you. You get increased EXP and a free month of play time I believe (if you subscribe). I can help you out with some plat or gear too.

The only negatives that have stood out to me are the UI (not much worse that ToR hah) and the graphics. I got used to the graphics pretty fast. The environments still feel awesome and the world feels GIANT.

Edited by big_aug

I've been playing for two weeks now and I'm so glad I went back.

It's really a heck of a lot of fun.

It's going free to play in March too, so there is no reason for anyone not to give it a shot now.

New players and old returning vets alike.

EQ1 was the first MMO I played and it was infinitely more difficult than WoW. I'm talking just leveling up, not raids or instances. For all the people crying for community there was a community in EQ1 because of how difficult the game was. Soloing was not an option except for a few warlocks.

It's great if you have alot of time to spend playing. Unfortunately alot of people burnout from the time demands.