Datacrons, Good or Bad?

Kunra

I think they are a waste of time. I sat in a jawa baloon for what seemed an eternity only to have it drop me off within sight of the datacron 2 times.....it just up and dissappeared. I gave up on them after that.

I am not a fan of running around trying to find a ledge or scope every ounce of terrain for datacrons either. I refuse to cheat and use the internet as a tool to fins them all too,. i have found 7 thus far on my own.

I like the idea of lost technology but not the leaping and jumping to find it.

Edited by Garravesh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I had fun getting the datacrons myself. A few people have complained that jumping is not very accurate - while this is somewhat true, I have found that some jumps require sprint disabled to land in the right place without overshooting, so that's something extra to figure out, which - for me - is extra fun.

To address the chap who mentioned that he'd rather work more efficiently spacebarring the quests to get what he wants from the game... I feel you're rather missing the point of a 'Game'. Games are made for human beings to entertain them and cause them to have 'fun'. TOR in particular attempts to provide this entertainment and fun by telling a story and using voice actors in abundance to make it feel more real than having to read a paragraph of text. If you skip this and look for 'effective' methods of playing(?!), you're turning what should be fun into work.

Why do that?

i sort of sux at the platforming bit also, got the +3 cunning (and the thing for yellow shard) last night after about a hour and a half of trying to jump up them dam pipes....was quite frustrating but worth it.

now strutting around with my 50+ aim, 60 end, 20 def relic :p

I was interested in them at first; when I thought they were a reward for exploring. Once I found out about the "Mario" thing, I lost most of my interest. Now if I see one, if I am not doing anything too important, I may look around for a way to get it but if it requires too much hopping around and finding the secret path, I usually walk away. Thats just not enjoyable for me and since it is more of a mini-game anyway, I will generally pass on them.

I found most of the datacrons (thanks the Degren guides on You Tube).

As a healing sorc, I definitely hunted for all the endurance, willpower and presence datacrons as well as the 3 red matrix shard datacrons for my relic.

I think it ended up being 20 willpower and 28 endurance (could be off)....definitely not game-breaking.

My favorite datacron moment was the elite cave in Hoth. Got through some tough mobs only to find a very high health gold elite mob covering the datacron.

Gave it an attempt...got the thing down to about 50% and then ran out of force and died.

Tried again but cleared the lower mob patting around the ring and was turning my tank companion to passive and stunning the mob and kiting him around the circle to regain force. Fight was going on forever and it was going to be questionable.

Then I see three enemy dots behind me and was ganked by 3 republics. They finished off the elite, grabbed their datacrons and left. I rezzed and got to loot the mob's blue level item , perform bioanalysis on it and retrieve the datacron.

It's the only time I've ever been completely thankful and happy to be ganked.

If the game was a little tighter with it's jump controls, it'd be fine. DDO this game is not.

Indeed. The jump animation needs to go away, jump needs to happen when I press the key, not after an arbitrary crouch+jump animation plays. Yeah, it's short, but it's very annoying. Like trying to jump with a horse in Skyrim...

To start with it was ooooh and then they rapidly got very tedious. So I've skipped the rest and left it until 50 which I will regret bitterly. I'm rapidly approaching 50 and the thought of having to go get them all is not fun.

I know they are not compulsory but who is going to miss out on a benefit no matter how tedious it is to get.

+40 to all stats in the end is certainly worth it, people like to min/max their character. None of them were that difficult to get either, the challenges they did present were very satisfying.

It's basically like a free piece of gear, that's permanent. On top of the matrix cube you can make, what's not to like? :rolleyes:

Its funny to do once but if you roll an alt you dont't want to do it again.

But its not even funny on my main which is body type 3 and i can't get all the datacrons.

I don't understand if you make a small gap Bioware don't you test if all body types can pass..

Edited by Rigota

I think datacrons and matrix cubes are a great idea. We have been doing them as a guild group, and are on a pvp server so it sometimes leads to world pvp. It is also find finding other then accepted routes to get some datacrons (little hint here, you can get the tatooine ballooon holocron without riding the balloon, and im not telling you how, figure it out for yourself!). Also its great fun and helpful for those who have a hard time jumping, to get someone who can grapple or force pull that can jump up onto a platform, and then /duel and grapple or pull them up, utilizing teamwork to make up for other group members weaknesses to accomplish the goal for everyone.

I have all the Datacrons and it does not make that much of a difference as most are stats you cant use or Shards.

I think its a good system. Next people will want bioware just to have them all sitting there when you land on a planet lol.

I have had a lot of fun collecting them with guild members, none are that hard to get.

They are fine how they are.

Ya or they should put them all in the center of the map and have invisible bridges lead to them that you fall through. Or better yet have them floating on platforms 100 feet up but make them so you actually only jump 50% of the time, now THAT would be fun and challenging!!

TB said it best in one of his recent mailboxes...

" oh god do not put jumping puzzles in a game where your movement is that clumsy, don't get me wrong i'm ok with slow weighted movement but don't force me to do jumping puzzles with it...."

he was talking about dark messiah but it pretty much applys here. Don't put jumping puzzles and platforming into a game where your jumping is generally terrible to begin with. It's not that its a bad concept but with in the limits of the game its bad...

Yep I saw that and it made me think of TOR as well. In TOR's case it's not just the jumping itself but also the bad collision detection on objects that were clearly never designed to be used as jumping platforms.

I think the mario approach made it fun, if you just ran to them is would just be *********** boring.

**haven't really had any problems yet, altho I'm gonna have later I think, with the ones body size 3,4 can't get

While some folks will say, they have had 0 problems getting every single Datacron ingame(I say BS to that, btw).

Who thinks the "Mario Bros" approach is a bad idea?

I dont mind the Elites guarding them, dont mind "exploring" for them. Spending an hour trying to Jump my way and not even getting 50% of the way to it? Stupid.

For those who dont realize what those Datacrons mean, imagine hitting 50, you Dual someone and they have 100+ Stats that you dont. Thats what Datacrons give you.

Some will post saying they had no problem getting them all, others will say they are too hard, what do you think?

I agree with you and think it's a bad idea. Platforming jumping puzzles have no business being in a MMORPG, especially one with as clunky jumping controls as this one. It's just downirght annoying, and I doubt I'll ever be bored enough to get them all.

It's strange for me. On my Trooper, I have very little problem doing "jumpy, jumpy, datacron."

Sure, I may fall down, miss a jump etc but eventually, I can make it.

With my Wife's Jedi Knight, when she jumps, it always seems like she drifts to the left or right.

I've tried, my son's tried, she's tried over and over again. We've tried different computers to no avail.

It seems her character doesn't like playing "jumpy, jumpy, Datacron" as much as mine or my son's character does.

ps Her Smuggler has no issue like that.

It's good and yes I do have every single one of them that I wanted/needed (apart from the +10 all stats, not done that yet). Some of them were tricky, some of them were easy but all worthwhile. The extra stats you get from them just give you that edge in HM's etc... plus the fact you can make a relic with some nice stats if you collect the colored shards. Apart from the obvious travelling I found them fun and interesting to find. When you're bored in-game use this time to get some, spend your time constructively.

Here are some links which helped me...

List of every Datacron with walkthroughs here.

List of loads of datacrons with videos here.

I also used youtube, very easy to type the name of the datacron you want and follow the vid.

Hope this helps.

It's good and yes I do have every single one of them that I wanted/needed (apart from the +10 all stats, not done that yet). Some of them were tricky, some of them were easy but all worthwhile. The extra stats you get from them just give you that edge in HM's etc... plus the fact you can make a relic with some nice stats if you collect the colored shards. Apart from the obvious travelling I found them fun and interesting to find. When you're bored in-game use this time to get some, spend your time constructively.

Here are some links which helped me...

List of every Datacron with walkthroughs here.

List of loads of datacrons with videos here.

I also used youtube, very easy to type the name of the datacron you want and follow the vid.

Hope this helps.

It's not good.

If you want to jump around on ledges and pipes why on earth play an MMORPG for that?

Games like Super Mario, Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia ect....do such a better job at it. No one who buys an MMORPG is looking to spend hours repeating repetitive boring jumping puzzles with crappy controls.

It adds absolutely nothing of value to the gameplay - and just makes you have to watch boring videos on U Tube.