Playable and Companion species suggestion checklist thread

Vitas

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My vote is for Rogue Droid playable race.

Backstory summary - became self aware (perceived as malfunctioning) or truly malfunctioning. These droids may use disguises, fronts, and SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape) to avoid capture. Malfunctioning droids may just evade or kill the humoids that try to fix them.

Even an owned droid would be ok and the quest giver is the droid's owner.

As for canon, why not? Both malfunction and self-awareness, and definitely droids with owners giving quests are plausible.

Classes -

Empire - BH, IA, Quasi-Sith (like General Grievous)

Republic - TR, SM, Quasi-Jedi (Uses technology to mimic force abilities) (Jedi may not like it but a Consular would defend a sentient life form with good intentions and the Jedi Code itself would be against it)

Or perhaps a Droid can be both a class and a race?

Edited by Lorica

up

please put more races in the future , and some more classes

i'd like to play with the race similar to twilieaks and togruta but that has horns goind downward , how do you call them?

You may be referring to the Iktotchi:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Iktotchi

It's possible they could be considered however there are currently two conflicting sources stating when they or at least their system was discovered. If BioWare to include them as playable, that would perhaps solve the problem.

I really want to play as a Kel Dor. Don't really care what class they are because I plan to make all my new characters Kel Dor. I hope that BioWare listens to people on this forum and add a few species soon. Edited by TeagonD

I still feel that Devaronians would be great as the Cathar counter / Has nearly as many models in the game, and already great voice overs for the toons, and already fit great with in the story line(s) of many classes on both factions.

Adding any Species that is not humanoid would require Bioware to Redo Every Single Piece of gear in the game.

That is a TON of work, and would most likely be done in place of real content.

Devonarian is possible, it would only have horn issues.

Twelik already has helm issues with their tentacle things.

Kel Dor would have major helm issues because the shape of their head is off and they need mask's to breath.

Wookie would require every piece of gear in the game to be redone, missions acrost all of swtor would need to be changed and just about every datacron would have to be changed too.

And why do people want to see somthing extreamly close to Twelik, it makes no sence to me, and it would further cause helm issues, much like ashara zavros.

Edited by Daethorz

Adding any Species that is not humanoid would require Bioware to Redo Every Single Piece of gear in the game.

Wookie would require every piece of gear in the game to be redone, missions acrost all of swtor would need to be changed and just about every datacron would have to be changed too.

I don't think every BioWare developer would be working on it. But making Wookiee a playable species would perhaps be viewed upon by both the developers and the fans as a major addition to the game so they should probably start developing it as soon as possible. The sooner playable Wookiees are included, the more interest will be brought towards SWTOR.

I don't think every BioWare developer would be working on it. But making Wookiee a playable species would perhaps be viewed upon by both the developers and the fans as a major addition to the game so they should probably start developing it as soon as possible. The sooner playable Wookiees are included, the more interest will be brought towards SWTOR.

Firstly, it was overtly stated that Wookiees would require an entirely new class to be built around them if they were to be implemented. Secondly, Shriiwook was an April Fool's joke for a reason. Thirdly, they could not be a part of the legacy system. Lastly, why are you basing the success of this game around Wookiee implementation?

Firstly, it was overtly stated that Wookiees would require an entirely new class to be built around them if they were to be implemented. Secondly, Shriiwook was an April Fool's joke for a reason. Thirdly, they could not be a part of the legacy system. Lastly, why are you basing the success of this game around Wookiee implementation?

Well then supposably it wouldn't take too long for them to implement Wookiees as playable. I'm not basing this on the success of the game, I'm just saying more people might be interested if more unique alien-looking choices like Wookiees and Rodians would become playable as that was one of the few criticisms some people had voiced.

Also never in any of the posts here was the Shriiwook joke acknowledged as being real. I don't think the idea of the joke was to show that player's would discourage hearing nothing but Wookiee growls but obviously many wouldn't seem to care. As it has been discussed in this thread, a majority of players wouldn't care if they had to read a lot of subtitles and hear nothing but growls. If people didn't want to hear constant growling then they wouldn't choose Wookiees as playable. I mean why have the choice of playing as a Wookiee taken away from those who want to just because you and a small minority of players don't intend to play as one.

Edited by Vitas

Well then supposably it wouldn't take too long for them to implement Wookiees as playable. I'm not basing this on the success of the game, I'm just saying more people might be interested if more unique alien-looking choices like Wookiees and Rodians would become playable as that was one of the few criticisms some people had voiced.

Also never in any of the posts here was the Shriiwook joke acknowledged as being real. I don't think the idea of the joke was to show that player's would discourage hearing nothing but Wookiee growls but obviously many wouldn't seem to care. As it has been discussed in this thread, a majority of players wouldn't care if they had to read a lot of subtitles and hear nothing but growls. If people didn't want to hear constant growling then they wouldn't choose Wookiees as playable. I mean why have the choice of playing as a Wookiee taken away from those who want to just because you and a small minority of players don't intend to play as one.

It would, essentially, require an entirely new game to be developed to make Wookiees playable in an acceptable, respectable way. I would definitely play one if they were implemented, but I just don't think they're worth that amount of effort when we could have a myriad of other species implemented more easily. Likewise, are you implying that a majority of players would be Wookiees? And you don't think that would compromise the setting?

Nowhere did I say that the Shriiwook joke was taken as evidence of them becoming playable - quite the opposite, in fact. My point is that developers believe the notion of throwing growls at us so laughable and unlikely that it was used as a joke.

Wookiees would require an entirely new story (complete with areas including at least one entirely new planet), an entirely new class, an entirely new character customization system, and an entirely new gear customization system. Likewise, they would not be eligible to unlock via the legacy system.

The issue isn't that players might have to listen to a few growls now and again. Making Wookiees playable would be a huge undertaking - an expansion's worth of content, and none of that content would apply to the existing classes/species. All of the resources developed for them wouldn't apply to anything else in the game.

That's an issue. And in my opinion, that's a waste.

In an ideal world with infinite resources, sure, throw in Wookiees. But that world doesn't exist.

Edited by CelCawdro

It would, essentially, require an entirely new game to be developed to make Wookiees playable in an acceptable, respectable way. I would definitely play one if they were implemented, but I just don't think they're worth that amount of effort when we could have a myriad of other species implemented more easily. Likewise, are you implying that a majority of players would be Wookiees? And you don't think that would compromise the setting?

Nowhere did I say that the Shriiwook joke was taken as evidence of them becoming playable - quite the opposite, in fact. My point is that developers believe the notion of throwing growls at us so laughable and unlikely that it was used as a joke.

Wookiees would require an entirely new story (complete with areas including at least one entirely new planet), an entirely new class, an entirely new character customization system, and an entirely new gear customization system. Likewise, they would not be eligible to unlock via the legacy system.

The issue isn't that players might have to listen to a few growls now and again. Making Wookiees playable would be a huge undertaking - an expansion's worth of content, and none of that content would apply to the existing classes/species. All of the resources developed for them wouldn't apply to anything else in the game.

That's an issue. And in my opinion, that's a waste.

In an ideal world with infinite resources, sure, throw in Wookiees. But that world doesn't exist.

I don't believe an entirely new story just for Wookiees would be necessary. I think they'd work already with the Jedi Knight, Consular and perhaps Trooper, Inquisitor and Bounty Hunter class stories. Sure perhaps they'd be more suited with the release of an expansion pack instead of a major update and maybe the inclusion of Kashyyyk might help. The current gear would just have to be retooled to appear properly on Wookiees when equiped. Of course a large majority of players would love to play as them and not care about the subtitles and growling and it wouldn't matter to me and shouldn't be a problem seeing Wookiee players everywhere because it would be non-canonical.

Edited by Vitas

I don't believe an entirely new story just for Wookiees would be necessary. I think they'd work already with the Jedi Knight, Consular and perhaps Trooper, Inquisitor and Bounty Hunter class stories. Sure perhaps they'd be more suited with the release of an expansion pack instead of a major update and maybe the inclusion of Kashyyyk might help. The current gear would just have to be retooled to appear properly on Wookiees when equiped. Of course a large majority of players would love to play as them and not care about the subtitles and growling and it wouldn't matter to me and shouldn't be a problem seeing Wookiee players everywhere because it would be non-canonical.

You may not believe that Wookiees would need a story, but BioWare does. Likewise, Wookiees cannot be Jedi. You don't seem to grasp how problematic their implementation would be. And you cannot trivialize the customization problems as you are trying to do - they would, quite literally, need to double the amount of gear appearances in the game, and even then, that would only affect a single species. Hardly worth the effort, given that these resources can be applied to things that are near-universal in their usage.

And stop speaking for an imaginary majority. Let your arguments speak for themselves without that crutch.

I realize that you might be attempting to trivialize these issues because you really want to play as a Wookiee. If you want it as bad as you seem to, you cannot dismiss or belittle the obstacles that BioWare has stated exist regarding their implementation. You need to address them - overcome these obstacles. Turning a blind eye is never a good thing.

You may not believe that Wookiees would need a story, but BioWare does. Likewise, Wookiees cannot be Jedi. You don't seem to grasp how problematic their implementation would be. And you cannot trivialize the customization problems as you are trying to do - they would, quite literally, need to double the amount of gear appearances in the game, and even then, that would only affect a single species. Hardly worth the effort, given that these resources can be applied to things that are near-universal in their usage.

And stop speaking for an imaginary majority. Let your arguments speak for themselves without that crutch.

I realize that you might be attempting to trivialize these issues because you really want to play as a Wookiee. If you want it as bad as you seem to, you cannot dismiss or belittle the obstacles that BioWare has stated exist regarding their implementation. You need to address them - overcome these obstacles. Turning a blind eye is never a good thing.

I'm not turning a blind eye. I know there would be obstacles but I don't believe it's as big of a problem as you point it out to be. Storywise, they would just follow the same class story that other species are currently following with a few changes and alterations. Your statement "Wookiees cannot be Jedi", I'm not sure if you mean that there are no Wookiee Jedi in Star Wars lore or that it's because George Lucas doesn't want any more Jedi Wookiees in established canon.

There have been a number of Wookiee Jedi introduced into the franchise:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lowbacca

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyvokka

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kirlocca

If this is about Lucasfilm and their no Jedi Wookiee policy, the rule only applies to established Wookiee Jedis. The player's character's appearance is in no way canon. Their gender or species isn't anywhere established in any official reference material. SWTOR's predecessor Star Wars Galaxies allowed players to create Wookiee Jedi and since then has no source material established this is as canon. As long as no Wookiee Jedi/Sith NPCs are created BioWare will be allowed.

Just recently, a Wookiee Je'daii master named Ruhr was introduced in the Dawn of the Jedi series so whether this policy is still in place remains to be unknown:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ruhr

Edited by Vitas

I'm not turning a blind eye. I know there would be obstacles but I don't believe it's as big of a problem as you point it out to be. Storywise, they would just follow the same class story that other species are currently following with a few changes and alterations. Your statement "Wookiees cannot be Jedi", I'm not sure if you mean that there are no Wookiee Jedi in Star Wars lore or that it's because George Lucas doesn't want any more Jedi Wookiees in established canon.

There have been a number of Wookiee Jedi introduced into the franchise:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lowbacca

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyvokka

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kirlocca

If this is about Lucasfilm and their no Jedi Wookiee policy, the rule only applies to established Wookiee Jedis. The player's character's appearance is in no way canon. Their gender or species isn't anywhere established in any official reference material. SWTOR's predecessor Star Wars Galaxies allowed players to create Wookiee Jedi and since then has no source material established this is as canon. As long as no Wookiee Jedi/Sith NPCs are created BioWare will be allowed.

Just recently, a Wookiee Je'daii master named Ruhr was introduced in the Dawn of the Jedi series so whether this policy is still in place remains to be unknown:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ruhr

Hanharr is not a canon member of the Exile's party, yet he is the character that motivated the rule. And until it has been officially rescinded, it is assumed that it is still in place unless there are extenuating circumstances (as there were in Ruhr's case). Likewise, SW:G had Wookiee Jedi before the rule was in place, so that is moot, as well.

You make too many assumptions, too much grasping. A little is fine, but your entire argument is based on the assumptions that (a) the player's character is not canon (which is untrue - any of the possible permutations must be potentially canon, and Wookiees of any class would not fall into the same narrative, as stated by BioWare), and (b) that non-canon Wookiees are allowed to exist, which is false as the very first "banning" of a Wookiee was that of a non-canon possibility.

Edited by CelCawdro

Hanharr is not a canon member of the Exile's party, yet he is the character that motivated the rule. And until it has been officially rescinded, it is assumed that it is still in place unless there are extenuating circumstances (as there were in Ruhr's case). Likewise, SW:G had Wookiee Jedi before the rule was in place, so that is moot, as well.

You make too many assumptions, too much grasping. A little is fine, but your entire argument is based on the assumptions that (a) the player's character is not canon (which is untrue - any of the possible permutations must be potentially canon, and Wookiees of any class would not fall into the same narrative, as stated by BioWare), and (b) that non-canon Wookiees are allowed to existing, which is false as the very first "banning" of a Wookiee was that of a non-canon possibility.

Hanharr was still an established character in Star Wars canon but of course joining Meetra Surik's crew was non-canon. Nonetheless, the player's species and gender will never be established as canon in SWTOR. In my opinion if it were to be decided as canon, I'd likely believe it to be Human which would mean Chiss, Twi'lek, Pureblood and others are entirely non-canon, the same it would be if Wookiees were choosable.

Whether this policy is still in place or not shouldn't really be something that we need to worry about except for BioWare. Because BioWare decided on selecting the current playable species to start with and as it has been discussed that Wookiees would take longer to implement as playable, presumably this means BioWare has not discussed the policy with LucasFilm yet. They've not talked about this in any news articles or interviews and Lucasfilm has not said "No" yet to them either. For now, lets keep the possibility of playable Wookiee Jedi/Sith open until an official statement from BioWare is made.

Edited by Vitas

In short, what you are asking for is an extremely lackadaisical implementation of the species with no respect paid to the setting or to the significance of the species itself. Sure, such an implementation is possible. But without proper respect being paid to both the body of work established both within and without SW:TOR, such a laissez faire implementation would probably do more harm than good. A sign that SW:TOR "jumped the shark," if you will.

If BioWare were to simply make Wookiees playable with no respect being paid to story or canon, while they may please a number of people in the short-term, they would do nothing but hurt their credibility and reputation for establishing strong and consistent universes in their games.

Personaly I dont care about playing a wookie and even though DE did say if the players want a new species who is a jello blob who doesn't speak they can have it I think that was the kinda answer you get when theire have been lay off's and the big question on why did they make a game they thought people wanted rather than listen to the players and make a game the players actually wanted. A few months down the line I suspect the chance that people power could get them to do a new species which would require more than a head swap is very small.

In short, what you are asking for is an extremely lackadaisical implementation of the species with no respect paid to the setting or to the significance of the species itself. Sure, such an implementation is possible. But without proper respect being paid to both the body of work established both within and without SW:TOR, such a laissez faire implementation would probably do more harm than good. A sign that SW:TOR "jumped the shark," if you will.

If BioWare were to simply make Wookiees playable with no respect being paid to story or canon, while they may please a number of people in the short-term, they would do nothing but hurt their credibility and reputation for establishing strong and consistent universes in their games.

I'm not saying that it would be easy to make them playable and I'm not saying that they should rush implementing them either. I'm just saying that if it's possible and when it is possible then they should start considering making them playable. As I said, I can't see how they can't fit it with the current Jedi Knight and Consular story and perhaps Trooper, Inquisitor and Bounty Hunter and I acknowledge changes to the class story would be made to fit the Wookiee character in. Right now I'd like to see where else BioWare would go with it and wait till they make some sort of official announcement. If the possibility to allow them to be Jedi and Sith is there, then let it be but if it's not then so be it.