Sorcerer/Sage: Making the lightsaber a "stat stick" is an affront to Star Wars

Felioats

Assassin is the best of both worlds as i use lightening and my saber pretty equally so I, while im sure sorc/sage since they are ranged rely heavily on the force I would think you still get some saber moves.

again ASSASSIN uses both fairly equally if you know what you are doing.

If you go back and look at the extended universe story of nomi sunrider and master thon he explains that the light saber is not only a weapon but also a tool for the Jedi to focus their power through. With it nomi is able to greatly increase the power of her battle meditation thus the saber does become a "stat stick" for her. It would have increased her wisdom to enhance her force powers. And please no arguments about whether the extended universe counts because nomi sunrider and exar kun are both mentions in the prior kotor games.

I think the only reason why Yoda and Sidious fought with lightsabers is because of 'epicness'. Flashy, fast acrobatics are a lot more exciting to watch for the common movieviewer than two people tossing pieces of metal back and forth.

It's the same reason why you see giant robots with huge fraking guns pull out swords and shields and fight in melee combat in the transformers movies.

And it's the same reason why Gandalf uses a stick AND a sword in LOTR, insted of just throwing Orcs in the air with his angelic wizardy powers. (Though ill admit the wizard vs wizard battles looked kinda neat.)

I think the Sorcerer's kick (you know the one you can use on a incapacitated foe?) should be a lightsaber attack instead. At least then we would have 1 useful lightsaber attack although with a cooldown and specific usage.

A kick, really? On a warrior ok but a Sorcerer? With a robe? No...

There are six films. At least five -- Phantom Menace may not count.

I remember him roflpwning four Jedi with a lightsaber, actually, and nearly finishing off a fifth. He may have even only pretended to need the help to push Anakin over the edge.

And even in the Emperor's Throne Room scene in ROTJ, he wasn't there to fight. Only to observe and use words to turn Luke to the dark side.

Hardly.

Here's what I see.

Palpatine is a Sith Sorcerer engaging a Jedi Knight NPC (elite) with four Jedi Knight NPCs (weak/standard). Being that this is a class quest instance (obviously!) then it is tuned to be soloed, meaning the four weak/standard NPCs have no health whatsoever and can, in fact, be hacked away by a Sith Sorcerer's autoattack or basic slash skill. Having dealt with the rabble, the Sith Sorcerer does the stupid mistake of trying to take on the Jedi Knight (elite) in melee combat as well, and promptly gets his *** kicked after a minute or two of holding up.

By the time he realizes he needs to use his Force Lightning, it is far too late and he has to be saved by another NPC who will, obviously, become a Companion.

AND THEN, IT WORKED JUST FINE.

Skipped most of it but to answer the OP's question, not always using a lightsaber makes sense, alot of sense actually. Ever notice how much stronger a jedi gets when they have their lightsaber in hand? It goes beyond just having a blazing sword of pure energy; the crystal inside of it help bolster and attune the jedi to their connection with the force, thus giving them more power, and some more than others, hence the lovely sages you see chucking stuff around.

Here's what I see.

Palpatine is a Sith Sorcerer engaging a Jedi Knight NPC (elite) with four Jedi Knight NPCs (weak/standard). Being that this is a class quest instance (obviously!) then it is tuned to be soloed, meaning the four weak/standard NPCs have no health whatsoever and can, in fact, be hacked away by a Sith Sorcerer's autoattack or basic slash skill. Having dealt with the rabble, the Sith Sorcerer does the stupid mistake of trying to take on the Jedi Knight (elite) in melee combat as well, and promptly gets his *** kicked after a minute or two of holding up.

By the time he realizes he needs to use his Force Lightning, it is far too late and he has to be saved by another NPC who will, obviously, become a Companion.

AND THEN, IT WORKED JUST FINE.

This post is fantastic. That scene makes so much more sense now!

I think the Sorcerer's kick (you know the one you can use on a incapacitated foe?) should be a lightsaber attack instead. At least then we would have 1 useful lightsaber attack although with a cooldown and specific usage.

A kick, really? On a warrior ok but a Sorcerer? With a robe? No...

Think of it in terms of contempt, Sith side, and practicality, Jedi side. The Sorceror sees no need to strike such a pathetic waste with his lightsaber, as it would only delay his other executions, so he simply kicks you with a Force-enhanced assault, leaving himself free to gleefuly continue his killing spree.

The Sage needs his lightsaber free and ready in case of an attack or sudden emergency situation, so he strikes you with a Force-enhanced attack to drive you down and incapacitate you.

In a book.

Uh-huh. And what class would you say Yoda is? That's right, Sage. He also pwns Count Dooku with a lightsaber.

Yoda was plainly a guardian. His amazing skill as a swordsmen is both referenced and showcased in the films, and he uses just one saber.

I agree with OP. I was phyched up about rolling a sorcerer since development, then I got mine to lvl 12 and realized it would only use the lightsaber to deflect bolts, and abandoned it.

Not an easy problem to solve, for sure. Maybe making the comon tree a hybrid melee/rangeds option for sorcs/sages?

Edited by augustus_rpg

He used it when he fought Yoda in the 3rd (New/bad) one.

He did use it and got owned. So he switched to throwing senate seats :p

Hey if I could toss around 30ft large chunks of environment I wouldn't use a lightsaber either

Edited by dargor-