Where is the 64-bit client? Sick of the 2GB crash...

Skuggan

Where is the 64-bit client?

I'm pretty sick of getting a CTD when the client reaches 2GB RAM, it happens very often in Ilum PvP. Enabling LMA is not enough to fix it, thats just delaying the crash.

Most other games seems to have realised that you cant make a 32-bit client run a large MMO effectively, and since this game was just recently released why didnt it come with a 64-bit client?

When can we expect to see one?

Edit:

Changed topic from 2GB to 3-4GB since disabling pagefile while using 16gb RAM seems to have somewhat fixed, or perhaps the right wording would be extended the time before a crash.

Edited by Skuggan
Changed topic slightly

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I play lots of games that don't use a 64-bit executable and they never crash from inefficient memory use.

I've not experienced a "2GB crash" in SWTOR, but that's not to say I don't think it happens to anyone else. Seems to me the game would be better off having its memory management thoroughly optimized, rather than simply pushing out a 64-bit client.

Where is the 64-bit client?

I'm pretty sick of getting a CTD when the client reaches 2GB RAM, it happens very often in Ilum PvP. Enabling LMA is not enough to fix it, thats just delaying the crash.

Most other games seems to have realised that you cant make a 32-bit client run a large MMO effectively, and since this game was just recently released why didnt it come with a 64-bit client?

When can we expect to see one?

I'm struggling to think of a MMO that does come with a 64bit client.

Not saying they don't exist, just really struggling to come up with one. Most I see are LMA flagged 32bit clients.

Not sure why the 2GB limit stated by OP is so important to a 64-Bit client, considering a 64-Bit OS can read and address well over the 4GB RAM limit of a 32-bit OS..

I smell Troll....

Edited by BlownSi

I'm pretty sick of getting a CTD when the client reaches 2GB RAM

Learn to binary

In the standard 32-bit x86 smp kernel, each process can use 3GB of the 4GB address space and 1GB is used by the kernel (shared in the address space of each process).

There is no 2GB limit. Where did you come up with that?

Edited by FooBard

Not sure why the 2GB limit stated by OP is so important to a 64-Bit client, considering a 64-Bit OS can read and address well over the 4GB RAM limit of a 32-bit OS..

I smell Troll....

Has nothing to do with the OS. It has to do with the compiled executable, in this case, it is x86.

It doesn't matter if you are running an x64 OS, your process is limited to 3GB.

I use Asus Rampage IV Formula, 3930k CPU, 16GB RAM, GTX295 (Wich is replaced for kepler whenever it comes), 4x Corsair Force GT 120GB, Asus Xonar Xense, PSU Corsair AX850.

And thats pretty much it. Windows 7 fresh install, only thing installed is SWTOR. RAM is running at 1.5v, CPU is not overclocked, it's the most stable build I ever had, not a single problem with gfx drivers resetting like some cheaper mobos get problems with. Temps are 42C on the CPU after 24hours Prime95, graphics card tops out at 75C in Ilum with VSync turned on.

I really doubt it would be the hardware causing it, most people in Ilum are crashing after couple hours fighting.

I smell Troll....

Many 32bit applications are limited by 2gb, if they are set to be large address aware their available memory map can go up to 4gb. This still holds true when you are using a 64bit system. Hence, the desire for an actual 64 bit client so it would be limited [generally] to 8TB [although it would still need the LAA flag set to get past 2 gb :)].

A point of clarity as well, those are limits per process.

Some applications have a less than gracious crash when they reach/exceed the available memory map.

Learn to binary

In the standard 32-bit x86 smp kernel, each process can use 3GB of the 4GB address space and 1GB is used by the kernel (shared in the address space of each process).

There is no 2GB limit. Where did you come up with that?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#memory_limits

The limit is 2gb without LAA. On a x86 system, the limit goes up to 3gb if you have LAA enabled.

Has nothing to do with the OS. It has to do with the compiled executable, in this case, it is x86.

It doesn't matter if you are running an x64 OS, your process is limited to 3GB.

And thats wrong, without LMA its 2GB in a 32-bit OS, a 64-bit OS should be able to adress 4GB, as long as the client is 32-bit or x86, wichever you prefer to type. With LMA it's 3GB on a 32-bit OS, 4GB on a 64-bit OS. With a 64-bit client the limit is set by the type of OS you are using, as for example, Home Premium 16GB.

You gotta be kidding me, a 32-bit exe cant even adress that much in a 64-bit OS.
actually, it can: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2009/07/06/9818299.aspx

It basically requires an extra layer of memory management, and it can't address all of it at the same time. I'd say that it's likely that they have something like this implemented and that it has flaws, which is probably why people are seeing crashes with larger amounts of memory usage.

The game also seems to have a serious memory leak issue

Edited by ferroz