Todays update... wow what a difference! :)

ZedFighter

I show my appreciation monetarily. This is a business. While showing appreciation for the good they do is fine, they don't need groveling. Yes, it's good they fixed it. Like I said, CONTEXT - I didn't just come here to spread negativity. My reply was strictly in response to someone saying that this was a super fast fix. I was simply saying that it wasn't a super fast fix. Should I not be honest and just kiss up anyway? What good would that do?

I've been MMOing for a decade, and while I don't personally know how long it takes to fix certain issues - I do have a large historical sampling of how fast some companies can push fixes out for significant issues. In that context, for something as significant as an ability delay, this fix was slow.

Are people who are even mildy content with the game not allowed to voice anything remotely negative, or do we all have to get on our knees and grovel at every turn in thanks just because they developed a game? Ridiculous.

No we have to get on our knees and grovel in thanks because its Star Wars in an MMO. end of story. Bioware had me sold at Star Wars, period.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And on an ability delay unrelated note:

Is that full screen flicker really gone? Only noticed it since the last patch, at first I thought it was just me, but after mentioning it chat several others said they were noticing it too.

I'm sure the ability lag issue wasn't a simple one to fix, so fixing it within a month of launch when there's a ton of stuff to do, I think, is more than adequate.

Imperial fleet FPS is much much better. Didn't notice it so much on planets. Ability delay is improved, almost non-existent.

Good patch Bioware.

You've been flaming the game for 151 posts. You seem to be deeply in love with Rift and its development cycle, and yet you're playing this. You reward the game that does right in your book by leaving it and playing an MMO you seem to not like at all, and spend a significant portion of your life posting (151 posts) on its forums. Are you a masochist?

Post History. Keepin' it real.

He made a statement that didn't address the direct point I was making, trying to sidetrack the actual point being discussed.

That's not what it means.

It would have been a straw man argument if I had made the statement about the nature of ability delays and THEN proceeded to attack it.

And it still gets to the heart of the issue. Your whole point was how vital the issue was to fix and how a month was way too long to wait for a patch.

My argument is that the Ability Delay is not a game destroying issue that needed to be addressed within the first few days.

Never mind the fact that, all things considered, this was a very fast response by BW.

There is a slight improvement but I still get the half second pause before firing my first Tracer Missile on my BH sometimes. I also get this same slight pause when running and opening my character sheet or bags. There's definitely still some serious issues there.

Although the Fleet is slightly smoother, when travelling around on my speeder especially around the centre ring, the game very often hitches and stutters even when the FPS doesn't drop.

If this is true, it's only because most people are playing Sorcs/Sages and Mercs/Commandos. Melee in particular have been affected the most by ability delays due to their attacks being instant, having short ranges, some having positional requirements. It's been extremely noticeable by me (an assassin) and makes attacks such as Maul not even worth trying to execute sometimes since you never know if it's just going to do a series of stutters or actually fire off.

I am very hopeful that this problem has been resolved.

I play a BH Mercenary and a SW Juggernaut and I noticed the ability delay on both, granted I won't get to feel the difference until I get home from work this evening but if it's fixed I'm more than happy! Also, I thankfully never had GPU or frame rate issues except very minor frame rate issues when inside a cantina or building but if there's an improvement or a chance my GPU will run slightly cooler that will also make me happy!

I think Bioware is doing a great job.

He made a statement that didn't address the direct point I was making, trying to sidetrack the actual point being discussed.

Just an FYI, that's a Red Herring. Straw Man and Red Herring are both Logical Fallacies.

Anyway hopefully this ability lag and apparent FPS fix will help me out since I have experienced both issues.

Edited by ltankhsd

That's not what it means.

It would have been a straw man argument if I had made the statement about the nature of ability delays and THEN proceeded to attack it.

And it still gets to the heart of the issue. Your whole point was how vital the issue was to fix and how a month was way too long to wait for a patch.

My argument is that the Ability Delay is not a game destroying issue that needed to be addressed within the first few days.

Never mind the fact that, all things considered, this was a very fast response by BW.

So your assumption that most people don't notice, which is just that, an assumption, is the determining factor as to how significant the issue is? So your assumption, with no factual backing, instead of the actual issue itself, is how you determine whether its significant or not? Just want to have a clear understanding on that.

And on an ability delay unrelated note:

Is that full screen flicker really gone? Only noticed it since the last patch, at first I thought it was just me, but after mentioning it chat several others said they were noticing it too.

FYI The flicker was caused by objects loading and a loading screen shot was appearing for a split second on the display. Hopefully this was an easy fix.

Edited by Owsley

So your assumption that most people don't notice, which is just that, an assumption, is the determining factor as to how significant the issue is? So your assumption, with no factual backing, instead of the actual issue itself, is how you determine whether its significant or not? Just want to have a clear understanding on that.

I never had an issue with ability delay myself outside operations so I'll see how that goes later tonight.

Edited by Parali
insulting

Someone explain to me what i'm missing here....I've seen some issues with my sentinel, the two biggest being using an ability but the animation doesnt show and a stuttering in the animation, almost like he starts it twice before going off.....

The former happens once in a blue moon and the latter happens quite a bit with one ability. Those are my two main issues....Does this fall under ability delay? I imagine it is, I just dont understand all the fuss about it. Its a very slight annoyance, but not gamebreaking like i read.....

Am I off here?

Edited by runback

Someone explain to me what i'm missing here....I've seen some issues with my sentinel, the two biggest being using an ability but the animation doesnt show and a stuttering in the animation, almost like he starts it twice before going off.....

The former happens once in a blue moon and the latter happens quite a bit with one ability. Those are my two main issues....Does this fall under ability delay? I imagine it is, I just dont understand all the fuss about it. Its a very slight annoyance, but not gamebreaking like i read.....

Am I off here?

Ability delay was the time between you hitting the button/number for the ability that you wanted to execute and the time that it actually executed. On dual core machines, this issue could lag for more than 2 seconds. That's a long, and lethal hang time in PVP and in Flash Points. It was a very good fix.