Update Away From WoW

NilesJones

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows if Bioware will come out with updates in the future that will steer away from the feeling of World of Warcraft. I'm mainly talking about gameplay.

I don't mind the way it looks because in my opinion the game looks awesome! I have everything turned on high detail and everything maxed, so playing the game isn't a problem to me. I just don't want this game to be grouped into the same genre as World of Warcraft. I understand that it's the first thing trolls come up with when they insult this game.

It's a great game and I'm not into the gameplay what so ever, but I do however like the story line this game offers. Therefore I'll most likely stay until the story is over with and then if after all the bugs and glitches are fixed, it still feels like World of Warcraft, I will discontinue my subscription.

I played WoW once and never liked it. The only other MMORPG I played was Star Wars Galaxies and to be honest, I miss that game. This is nothing like it, nor did I expect it to be. SWG was more of a sandbox universe and this is the reason I liked it. Unfortunately this game feels bland without the ability to decorate anything.

The fact that we're forced to look like everyone else is appalling. I just hope in the future they really do work on more customization. I don't know how long it's going to take though. This game hasn't even been out for a month and people are complaining like I am.

Although in this thread I'm merely discussing theories on how the game will change for the future. I really would like to see it progress into an amazing game rather than a Star Wars; World of warcraft theme.

Anyway, just want to get your thoughts on this. It would be nice if people didn't flame on this thread, but I'm sure it will happen. Also I've got a question, does this have a suggestion forum? Perhaps it's called something else and I just haven't paid enough attention haha

You mean like the tier gear in WOW?

You mean like WoW has recently introduced transmog which means you can wear one piece and still display a different one, allowing you to create any cool look you want? yeah

I don't mind the way it looks because in my opinion the game looks awesome!

Then you havent played many other games because looking awesome is certainly not how I would describe the graphics

It's a great game and I'm not into the gameplay what so ever, but I do however like the story line this game offers.

storyline in mmo's isnt top priority, bioware screwed up big their.

This game plays more like WAR than WoW, at least in how your character feels as he moves and uses abilities.

I also feel the lack of an autoattack does make PvP a lot more skillbased than in WoW.

In WoW, while you're thinking, or resource starved, you're still doing damage on many classes. You're still getting some big crits on a two hander as well, a significant amount of your damage is white damage in WoW.

In SWTOR, everything you do you pressed a button to do. You're also generally much less resource starved in this game, you get low but resources come back quite quickly.

The structure of the game may be quite WoW like, but the feeling of the game is very different than WoW.

You mean like WoW has recently introduced transmog which means you can wear one piece and still display a different one, allowing you to create any cool look you want? yeah

You mean like, other games already had that feature and it took WoW this long to catch up?

This game plays more like WAR than WoW, at least in how your character feels as he moves and uses abilities.

I also feel the lack of an autoattack does make PvP a lot more skillbased than in WoW.

In WoW, while you're thinking, or resource starved, you're still doing damage on many classes. You're still getting some big crits on a two hander as well, a significant amount of your damage is white damage in WoW.

In SWTOR, everything you do you pressed a button to do. You're also generally much less resource starved in this game, you get low but resources come back quite quickly.

The structure of the game may be quite WoW like, but the feeling of the game is very different than WoW.

Don't associate skill with turnbased MMO combat ever again: GCD and swingtimers effectively make the game turnbased Final Fantasy style using an "Active" battle mode.

"storyline in mmo's [sIC] isnt [sIC] top priority, bioware screwed up big their."[sIC]

Not a top priority to you--I wouldn't be playing without it.

"Mass Effect" might be a passable shooter or RPG, but I wouldn't play or anticipate it without the story. Online shooters are the only gametype where narrative doesn't matter to me--

But playing Call of Duty campaign levels without "narrative" isn't conceivable. You're inextricably bound to "role-playing" and narrative when you play CoD single-player, and almost any contemporary game that's not competitive multiplayer sport.

Bioware screwed up by not infusing all multiplayer content with Bioware stuff. Black Talon flashpoint is a lot of fun.

Don't associate skill with turnbased MMO combat ever again: GCD and swingtimers effectively make the game turnbased Final Fantasy style using an "Active" battle mode.

Skill can exist in any system.

It requires a different set of skills to be good at turn based strategy games, or a turn based RPG combat system, than a more active combat system.

Being really good at an FPS doesn't mean you're a better or more skillful player than someone who is really good at Civilization.

Different skill sets.

I'm absolutely fantastic at fighting games, I am nearly incompetent in the average RTS game. On the other hand, my friend who can destroy most people in a game of Warcraft 3 couldn't stand up to me in a fighting game if his life depended on it.

Different skills dude.

Edited by Yfelsung

"storyline in mmo's [sIC] isnt [sIC] top priority, bioware screwed up big their."[sIC]

Not a top priority to you--I wouldn't be playing without it.

"Mass Effect" might be a passable shooter or RPG, but I wouldn't play or anticipate it without the story. Online shooters are the only gametype where narrative doesn't matter to me--

But playing Call of Duty campaign levels without "narrative" isn't conceivable. You're inextricably bound to "role-playing" and narrative when you play CoD single-player, and almost any contemporary game that's not competitive multiplayer sport.

Bioware screwed up by not infusing all multiplayer content with Bioware stuff. Black Talon flashpoint is a lot of fun.

neither would I because that's the only thing going for the game atm.

an mmo's succes is for the most part determined by how good the end game is ( assuming gameplay is working as intented ).

oh and btw both of your examples are not mmo's

some people actually have expectations and don't accept everything that is shoved down their throat.

While I do see where you are coming from with graphically intense games like Skyrim out, you must realize that they have to appeal to a wider range of people. I would love to see higher graphical capabilities as an option but keep in mind that if you are running an ops group with 15 other players just about any system will be taxed to some extent unless you have a monster pc which again, brings us back to the demographic. Not enough people have pc's like that for Bioware to possibly see that as a worthwhile endeavor financially.

Honestly, I'm curious as to what you are comparing tor to because as far as mmo's are concerned this one is top notch graphically (minus the bugs which can be ironed out without making a new engine), the only one that I would say gives it competition would be Rift (I was blown away by the graphics when I played).

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows if Bioware will come out with updates in the future that will steer away from the feeling of World of Warcraft. I'm mainly talking about gameplay.

I don't mind the way it looks because in my opinion the game looks awesome! I have everything turned on high detail and everything maxed, so playing the game isn't a problem to me. I just don't want this game to be grouped into the same genre as World of Warcraft. I understand that it's the first thing trolls come up with when they insult this game.

It's a great game and I'm not into the gameplay what so ever, but I do however like the story line this game offers. Therefore I'll most likely stay until the story is over with and then if after all the bugs and glitches are fixed, it still feels like World of Warcraft, I will discontinue my subscription.

I played WoW once and never liked it. The only other MMORPG I played was Star Wars Galaxies and to be honest, I miss that game. This is nothing like it, nor did I expect it to be. SWG was more of a sandbox universe and this is the reason I liked it. Unfortunately this game feels bland without the ability to decorate anything.

The fact that we're forced to look like everyone else is appalling. I just hope in the future they really do work on more customization. I don't know how long it's going to take though. This game hasn't even been out for a month and people are complaining like I am.

Although in this thread I'm merely discussing theories on how the game will change for the future. I really would like to see it progress into an amazing game rather than a Star Wars; World of warcraft theme.

Anyway, just want to get your thoughts on this. It would be nice if people didn't flame on this thread, but I'm sure it will happen. Also I've got a question, does this have a suggestion forum? Perhaps it's called something else and I just haven't paid enough attention haha

I don't get it... this game feels nothing like WoW (good in some ways; bad in others).

It looks nothing like it (SWToR is far inferior.. maybe if they ever enable high res textures it will look better), sounds nothing like it (far less ambient sounds, completely different type of musical score, etc), and plays nothing like it (combat completely different, overabundance of spells/abilites cluttering an at best mediocre interface which is non-customizable).

Even the mood is different, which SWToR not really feeling like an mmorpg at all due to sparse populations and sharding. Beyond tagging both "MMORPGs", they have very few similarities, which again can be an advantage but is certainly not always a good thing. I would have preferred BW had used the best elements of WoW, while pushing the genre forward with their own unique features.

Instead, they pretty much tried to rewrite the genre, hitting and missing along the way.... No, i see very few similarities between the two, unless you compare today's SWToR with vanilla WoW circa 2005.. although even then there are far more differences than similarities.

It looks nothing like it (SWToR is far inferior.. maybe if they ever enable high res textures it will look better), sounds nothing like it (far less ambient sounds, completely different type of musical score, etc), and plays nothing like it (combat completely different, overabundance of spells/abilites cluttering an at best mediocre interface which is non-customizable).

Even the mood is different, which SWToR not really feeling like an mmorpg at all due to sparse populations and sharding. Beyond tagging both "MMORPGs", they have very few similarities, which again can be an advantage but is certainly not always a good thing. I would have preferred BW had used the best elements of WoW, while pushing the genre forward with their own unique features.

Instead, they pretty much tried to rewrite the genre, hitting and missing along the way.... No, i see very few similarities between the two, unless you compare today's SWToR with vanilla WoW circa 2005.. although even then there are far more differences than similarities.

Honestly, before I quit wow for this I have seen the graphics evolve but I would definitely not call this game graphically inferior to wow. I was able to run everything max and still not make my fans' speed increase or have my cpu go above 20% workload whereas tor takes it up to 35ish. This game actually makes my gpu fan run at max speed (GTX 570). Granted, that could be optimization issues with the engine. I personally feel that wow still looks cartoony which has been a complaint of mine from the start although that is the graphical style that is basically trademarked by the warcraft franchise. As stated above, I would certainly like to have hi-res textures as an option but I don't think it's lacking graphics at all.

I have very few issues with the UI as it stands but they are adding customization in the future.

On to the mmo-esque feeling. It all depends on what kind of player you are. I'm loving the storyline and it does feel like an mmo to me as I see other players all the time and have an active guild. I could do without idiots ninja-ing a node while I'm battling a mob for it (as was very prevalent in wow)

As far as the sound, I'm with you 100%. A little ambiance goes a long way BW! I would like to hear more foresty sounds when in a wooded environment (Tyhon and Alderaan included) or how about a sandstorm (minor of course, don't want us to get lost in the desert) on Tatooine?

Edited by pokher

OP you might as well stop playing MMOs if you dont like to feel like your playing WoW, and to make this clear WoW is just a generalization of the standard way the current generation of MMO's play. So most MMO's out play like "WoW".

I do however believe that a wadrobe system (exactly like EQ2) is needed and seems like it should have been in at release. I know that you cant epect perfection at release but with a game that boasts a major feature as modable gear so you can keep the looks you like but in reality you cannot. You can get pilot gear, social gear, and other white class modable gear etc to wear if you like, but you have to take it off if you want to actually play the game at 50 (pvp, ops, NM, etc)

While I do see where you are coming from with graphically intense games like Skyrim out, you must realize that they have to appeal to a wider range of people. I would love to see higher graphical capabilities as an option but keep in mind that if you are running an ops group with 15 other players just about any system will be taxed to some extent unless you have a monster pc which again, brings us back to the demographic. Not enough people have pc's like that for Bioware to possibly see that as a worthwhile endeavor financially.

Honestly, I'm curious as to what you are comparing tor to because as far as mmo's are concerned this one is top notch graphically (minus the bugs which can be ironed out without making a new engine), the only one that I would say gives it competition would be Rift (I was blown away by the graphics when I played).

Hey I think you're getting some stuff mixed up. My beef isn't with the graphics that's the least of my concerns at the moment, I only commmented on the OP opinion that the graphics are awesome, I responded to that by saying the graphics are far from awesome.

The instance you are quoting me from is a general statement on how I feel about this game, and any other game I buy for that matter.

I'm sorry. Are you forced to be here? Are you forced to subscribe? No? Then everything isn't being "shoved down your throat."

If I was born with hindsight I would never of bought the game that's for sure, but since I don't and bought the game anyway I'm trying to make the most of it and hope bioware get their act together before it's to late.