I need help with a computer problem.

Space_Gimp

I just upgraded from a nvidia 285 gtx to a nvidia 570 gtx and now my computer auto restarts every 45 minutes to an hour while playing swtor. I don't have this problem on other games and programs. I've tested this out the last couple days and it only restarts on swtor. I need advice on what I can do to fix this.

Check your temps (CPU and GPU).

Are you getting a BSOD?

Also, are you sure your power supply can handle the new card?

I would agree with this. I think your power supply is too low. Get yourself a 600 watt power supply. They are pretty inexpensive.

Edited by sevalaricgirl

Open the control panel then go to administrative tools and click on it then go to event viewer and double click. Open custom views on the left then click on administrative events in the middle and wait for them to appear. If you know what time it happened you can check the error before it otherwise you will need to recreate the event.

Other things to do:

If you are overclocked go back to stock speeds, this game hates oc'ed systems.

Make sure all ram is seated properly

Make sure all power connectors are attached to your card properly and if it has 2 power slots both must be used.

Edited by Abishua

I would agree with this. I think your power supply is too low. Get yourself a 600 watt power supply. They are pretty inexpensive.

How would I check the power supply wattage that I currently have? There's no sticker on the sides of the power supply.

What kind of PSU do you have. You need at least 600W to use that card depending on what your other compnants you have.

Search the web and download an app like coretemp to see what your temps are. You will have to open you case to see what PSU you have and what wattage.

Actually if you want to check if your power supply is the problem set the power profile in windows to low power instead of high performance as this will nerf your graphics card and then try the game. There should always be a sticker on your PS though maybe you need to remove it to see it?

I just upgraded from a nvidia 285 gtx to a nvidia 570 gtx and now my computer auto restarts every 45 minutes to an hour while playing swtor. I don't have this problem on other games and programs. I've tested this out the last couple days and it only restarts on swtor. I need advice on what I can do to fix this.

Google on how to clean install video card drivers and DirectX. Monitor temps and see if it is temperature related if problems persists.

I don't think it will be power related

Power shut downs are usually caused by the intensity of power draw due to intensity of graphics displayed, not by the amount of time a machine has been on.

Not convinced it's a heat issue either.

My best suggestion would be to un install the drivers completely using, driver cleaner pro or something similar and put a fresh set on.

sounds like something's telling it to switch off at a certain time limit rather than a heat or power issue.

Do the restarts always happen during voice overs? I ask this because I was getting overheating issues on my desknote with 2 GTX480Ms. It got rather warm during normal gameplay, but during the cutscenes, and char creation for that matter, it would shut off after a time. You could use something like MSI Afterburner to monitor the temps and see how high they go during normal play. You would need to check it before crashing though, to see if it's getting close to critical temps.

Do the restarts always happen during voice overs? I ask this because I was getting overheating issues on my desknote with 2 GTX480Ms. It got rather warm during normal gameplay, but during the cutscenes, and char creation for that matter, it would shut off after a time. You could use something like MSI Afterburner to monitor the temps and see how high they go during normal play. You would need to check it before crashing though, to see if it's getting close to critical temps.

No. They do not restart on voiceovers.

It's 100% a Power Supply problem.

If you have a store bought computer, you can't fix it because your case won't support a different sized power supply.

That upgrade was substantial. Like when Cher discovered the Earth wasn't flat in 1998. Mind blowing eh? Someone posted the minimum required wattage for that card to operate. It also takes 2 (two) additional plugs from the Power Supply plugged into the card itself, not just the motherboard. New cards need power. Powerful cards are powerful.

Computers just randomly shutting down are caused because the motherboard is trying to allocate power where it needs to

• Northbridge
  • Southbridge
  • PCIe Slots
  • PCI Slots (God forbid you have any of these in 2012)
  • Most importantly the CPU itself

If one of those doesn't get the minimum required watts at the exact moment it's asking for it the board will shutdown.

1000 watt power supplies are pretty much the norm these days. 600-800 is "getting by" for most up to date computers.

Edited by VoXPCS

If you have a store bought computer, you can't fix it because your case won't support a different sized power supply.

That upgrade was substantial. Like when Cher discovered the Earth wasn't flat in 1998. Mind blowing eh? Someone posted the minimum required wattage for that card to operate. It also takes 2 (two) additional plugs from the Power Supply plugged into the card itself, not just the motherboard. New cards need power. Powerful cards are powerful.

Computers just randomly shutting down are caused because the motherboard is trying to allocate power where it needs to

• Northbridge
  • Southbridge
  • PCIe Slots

If one of those doesn't get the minimum required watts at the exact moment it's asking for it the board will shutdown.

1000 watt power supplies are pretty much the norm these days. 600-800 is "getting by" for most up to date computers.

Actually a "good" 600 is fine for a single 570. If he had two he might want something like an 800.

I should also note that SWTOR isn't optimized in ANY FORM OR FASHION compared to other games.

The memory leaks alone are terrible. The game itself is pretty intense when it doesn't have to be because of lazy developers simply not finishing the product before release.

Which is simply pathetic for a DirectX 9 game in 2012. DirectX 11 is getting old now.. lol

Actually a "good" 600 is fine for a single 570. If he had two he might want something like an 800.

True. I agree with you. Most people don't understand the brand names in the computer world and a power supply to most people is like a..

Skenuviator Pen. No one knows what that is, or where is goes. Do I feed it bologna? Where is it?

Antec Power Supplies are top notch in my opinion. Yes a good quality 600 watt PSU will work for that card.

Seasonic. PC Power&Cooling, if you have one of the ones made before OCZ took them over and destroyed the quality, is also good. Antec does have a few units made by Seasonic and other good manufacturers, like Enchance. But not all of them are good. Corsair has mostly good units, many also made by Seasonic. Same with XFX.

Useful info.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/715889/psu-articles#post9110838

• Northbridge
  • Southbridge
  • PCIe Slots

Wait what? This is the part you lost me:

It also takes 2 (two) additional plugs from the Power Supply plugged into the card itself, not just the motherboard.
My videocard did not come with two other plugs.

Seasonic. PC Power&Cooling, if you have one of the ones made before OCZ took them over and destroyed the quality, is also good. Antec does have a few units made by Seasonic and other good manufacturers, like Enchance. But not all of them are good. Corsair has mostly good units, many also made by Seasonic. Same with XFX.

Useful info.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/715889/psu-articles#post9110838

I bought a Thermaltake. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153118

Is that one alright?

A couple items.

My system has a 650W Corsair power supply, one nVidia 560 GTX-based video card, 8GB (2x 4GB) Ballistix RAM by Crucial, and a i5-2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz on air cooling, running Win7 Pro x64. It's not a pure gamer's dream system, but it runs pretty decently, and has never once rebooted unexpectedly. It has only crashed to desktop twice since the second to last weekend beta.

I realize your card is a little bit higher up, but I just wanted to throw my system specs out there as something near to a baseline.

First, when your computer rebooted, there may have been a blue screen that your monitor was not quick enough to display. Sorry if this has already been addressed, but it's the IT guy in me trying to help. Take it at face value. If you haven't already, make sure the option to automatically restart after system failure is turned off.

Windows XP: go into the Control Panel > System > Advanced tab

Windows Vista/7: go into the Control Panel > System and Security > System > click on Advanced system settings in the left column

In the Startup and Recovery section, click the Settings... button. In the System failure section, remove (if present) the checkmark for Automatically restart.

This will, in the case of a blue screen, allow you to easily record the Stop Error code which then helps trace down problems that can cause a blue screen. Not saying that you are experiencing a blue screen, just that it's possible and good diagnostic practice.

Second, to get to the Event Viewer as was previously suggested, it is sometimes available in the Administrative Tools program group (itself sometimes located in the Accessories program group). You can alternatively access it by typing in either the Run... box or the search box built into the Vista and 7 Start Menu: eventvwr.msc and pressing Enter.

The event viewer is useful for tracking down things like blue screens. There is a folder tree to the left which represents the different logs available to the Event Viewer. The one you are interested in primarily is the System log within the Windows Logs group. If you know approximately what time the restart happened, you can go directly there and see if there is any mention of a blue screen. Blue screens entries are represented in the Event Viewer as having a Source of "bugcheck" so you may want to click on the Source column heading to sort the log in alphabetical order of Source. Alternatively, with Windows Vista and 7, you can click Filter Current Log... in the column to the right, but that's probably more advanced than you need to get right now.

If someone has a major brand computer (i.e., HP, Compaq, Dell) they may be able to upgrade their power supply quite easily. From the card you've installed, you've basically demonstrated that you have at least a mini- or mid-tower system with most likely a micro-ATX form-factor motherboard or a full ATX form-factor motherboard. That suggests you have a standard-sized ATX form-factor power supply. Any 600W+, modern, name-brand power supply should be compatible with your hardware and not cause real performance issues.

Since you've just posted that your power supply is a 1000W Thermaltake, I'm going to draw the conclusion that this is not a power-related issue. It would be helpful to know the exact model and manufacturer of your video card. We know that it's an nVidia 570 GTX chipset, but more specifically the company that produced the actual unit. If it's not too much trouble, your full system specs wouldn't hurt.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.