The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

@BioWare - Suggestions to Improve Republic Appeal / Faction Balance

Sagarys

I play Imp and I agree with this thread. The current state of the Republic makes me not want to roll a Pub Toon. There is just nothing more appealing about the faction that would pull me away from Imp. I really hope they change this so I can one day actually feel the need to roll my Pub toon.

It doesn't help that the republic storylines all around aren't as good as the emp ones...

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I keep hearing the opposite. :p

Taste is subjective.

I really wish people would stop hiding behind the "It's all subjective" argument.

You can brush off ANYTHING as being subjective, but the fact of the matter is that there's a reasonable level of what's generally considered "good" that we can bypass that.

Movie critics wouldn't exist if this wasn't the case, because SOMEONE is clearly paying them for their opinions.

You can say "it's all subjective" all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that a bucket of poop isn't a steak dinner.

Now for me this is a reason to quit game, im playing republic and at the peak time you can see at republic fleet max 60-70 ppl in some servers, i made an alt in empire side and at the same time the people in fleet was 220+ and a lot of activity for making FP and more, im 50 lvl trooper and i cant find a single group for a HM FP for 2 weeks now, thats just unfair for start and a reason for me to quit the game maybe, character tranfer or fix imbalance now!

Excellent list of suggestions. A lot of things mentioned here can easily be overlooked, but they can nevertheless influence a new player's decision on faction choice.

I feel so sorry for Jedi Sentinels when I see them wearing their PvP armour.

Now for me this is a reason to quit game, im playing republic and at the peak time you can see at republic fleet max 60-70 ppl in some servers, i made an alt in empire side and at the same time the people in fleet was 220+ and a lot of activity for making FP and more, im 50 lvl trooper and i cant find a single group for a HM FP for 2 weeks now, thats just unfair for start and a reason for me to quit the game maybe, character tranfer or fix imbalance now!

This is what this thread is all about. These are the complaints i hear every day on the forum, in the game, and really from anyone you talk to.

P.S Bioware, please hire my brother, look at all the time and effort he put into this post to make your game better :p lol jk, but give us a response about some of these suggestion will ya!? This thread has been on the top for over a week now, and we aren't going to come down any time soon!

Played Jedi Knight yesterday. ****! Every NPC I talked to are old and look ugly, only one was looking cool and that was the Twi'lek woman with red skin and white makeup. The rest was ulgy and had bad VO.

The missions was also dull and boring. Sith side have humor...

And my Jedi Knight is too nice, sure I'm going Light... but come on bend over to everything? What are they? Man or mouse?

I understand that people go Imperial, Republic suck so bad from start that you wanna change side at lvl 5...

So now I SPACE click my way on Republic, can't stand the boring missions and the ugly looking faces. Great story? Meh!

:mad:

I dunno, I've been finding the smuggler and trooper quests pretty entertaining. Both JK and SW are almost not played at all- which doesn't really fit the idea that the cinematics decided on who is playing what side.

Malgus is the only real Imperial in the cinematics- sure, you get a brief couple shots of a pretty BH, and you get a terrible SI lose a 2v1 and get utterly owned.

Compare that to.... a trooper who, yes, seems a bit crazy and dumb, but he tries to knife a sith lord, grenades himself in the face and goes in guns blazing- perfect for the CoD player. The smuggler has the only funny line in the cinematics, and looks BA- and is wearing top end smuggler gear too (he's also dreamy). The JK dies, yes, but he dual wields a double saber and single, takes out one in a 1v2 fight, and dies to protect the Republic and his pupil in a way almost exactly like how Obi Wan dies.... then, Satele who has all sorts of acrobatics, stops sabers with her hands, and can blow up mountains.

The gear, for the most part, isn't exactly great on either side- look at high end SI gear. The ops gear leaves me with gross should pads and a bare tummy, and a cone head. I personally like the BM gear, but alot of people make fun of SI's looking like peacocks (I like looking like a peacock). IA endgame gear is... bright orange- I'd take the cowboy hat over it any day. Both the trooper and BH gear looks pretty great imo.

JK gear does look bad, I'll give it that, whereas the BM gear for SW is pretty much awesome- but, new tiers will come out. and it'll be bad/good too.

I mean, to compare to everyone's hated game WoW- some classes got awful t1 sets, awful t2 sets- and then got fantastic t4 (hunters, with stupid tower shoulders and shorts, then barney dragon armour- then the epic looking demonic outfit from Karazhan)- they didn't get every Republic OR Imperial outfit right or wrong- they did some nasty stuff on both sides. Also, the best Imperial set, the SW, is again on the least played class.

That said- it's less important to find out which of the many things that made the imbalance was the one that had the most effect.

What's more important than that is to use things that will absolutely work at creating Republic hype- though I should note these would be imbalancing things (not in gameplay imbalance, but in the next few months marketting and cosmetic bonuses).

Including- Obi Wan looking moddable armour that would coincide with all gear being able to be modded to BiS status (even if that means taking mods out of operation gear). Other nice looking armour sets, specifically ones for JK which is a bit lacking.

Some more interesting choices- from what I've seen, the jedi knight seems pretty spot on for lore... however, jedi are kind of boring most of the time- add more dialogue that's akin to things Obi Wan would say... I might be biased in that Obi Wan was the only thing I loved about the prequels. It's good that you got the lore pretty well for JK/JC... but people don't want to be selfless monks with powers and laser swords.

Improve on dark side choices- make dark side also mean something. Right now, dark side gives you what, a couple of relics and saber crystal colour choice? Have some sets of moddable dark and light side gear- so that you can really make your character look like a dark sider/light sider. Include things like- black robes Luke wore, Obi Wan's armoured robes but darker. Revan was a jedi for a while- make some darker Revan like robes, and some masks for jedi.

Satele is dressed in consular gear... that doesn't exist- you don't need to copy it, but make something like it- I mean, you can look very close to the smuggler in the vids, Malgus, the BH, the SI, the trooper... but nothing like the JC? It's light, attractive, not overbearing and functional.

Publicity- you obviously can't stop showing Imperial additions... but making more Republic spotlights- you know the side is hurting on some servers- make another Republic cinematic, or at least some Republic podcasts.

Add another race or two to the Republic, expand their cosmetic choices. Torgruta would work- if helmets is such a problem, just make them unable to wear them- most people turn the helmet off anyway, and while yes people would complain- the silent majority would like just having the race. I don't think wookiee would help tbh- it might seem great at first, but after 100 hours of hearing RRRAUAAUGHAHGHAGHARRRRR!!!!! every time you talk to someone you'll be hating the race.

Zeltrons would work too- they have unique skin and hair colours that would be popular- they have interesting lore. And, if you do have plans for adding some race based conversation options- they could make for some funny lines/flirt options. Zeltrons would fit perfectly for smuggler, but I do believe they can have force sensitivity too- so perhaps zeltron JC and Smugg, and torgruta trooper and JK? I think that alone would go a long way.

Upgrade some animations too- pebble throw for example, I've seen world boss JCs use that ability but they're tossing dozens of torso sizes rocks- it actually looks REALLY cool, and you already have the animation in game!

Heck, make Legacy give optional 'skins' for abilities, so it could be something to work towards- as long as it's possible to get somehow, people who want better looking rock throw will get it.

Excellent suggestions and an excellent thread OP :)

You bring up some really good points, almost all of which I agree with. I just have one thing I differ on: Point 5.

I like the fact that the Republic does not feel as ****** as the Empire! It's actually a draw for me that encourages me to play on my Republic characters when not leveling my Agent main (which was the reason I rolled Empire side). IMO, it's one of the things that sets it aside from the empire and gives it its personality. Leave the "cool" factor to the Empire IMO - the Republic is nice enough without it.

As for Satele, well, they needed to have a tough yet attractive woman figure to contrast with nasty old Malgus :D Though I understand your point and don't really disagree.

I dunno, I've been finding the smuggler and trooper quests pretty entertaining. Both JK and SW are almost not played at all- which doesn't really fit the idea that the cinematics decided on who is playing what side.

Malgus is the only real Imperial in the cinematics- sure, you get a brief couple shots of a pretty BH, and you get a terrible SI lose a 2v1 and get utterly owned.

Compare that to.... a trooper who, yes, seems a bit crazy and dumb, but he tries to knife a sith lord, grenades himself in the face and goes in guns blazing- perfect for the CoD player. The smuggler has the only funny line in the cinematics, and looks BA- and is wearing top end smuggler gear too (he's also dreamy). The JK dies, yes, but he dual wields a double saber and single, takes out one in a 1v2 fight, and dies to protect the Republic and his pupil in a way almost exactly like how Obi Wan dies.... then, Satele who has all sorts of acrobatics, stops sabers with her hands, and can blow up mountains.

The gear, for the most part, isn't exactly great on either side- look at high end SI gear. The ops gear leaves me with gross should pads and a bare tummy, and a cone head. I personally like the BM gear, but alot of people make fun of SI's looking like peacocks (I like looking like a peacock). IA endgame gear is... bright orange- I'd take the cowboy hat over it any day. Both the trooper and BH gear looks pretty great imo.

JK gear does look bad, I'll give it that, whereas the BM gear for SW is pretty much awesome- but, new tiers will come out. and it'll be bad/good too.

I mean, to compare to everyone's hated game WoW- some classes got awful t1 sets, awful t2 sets- and then got fantastic t4 (hunters, with stupid tower shoulders and shorts, then barney dragon armour- then the epic looking demonic outfit from Karazhan)- they didn't get every Republic OR Imperial outfit right or wrong- they did some nasty stuff on both sides. Also, the best Imperial set, the SW, is again on the least played class.

That said- it's less important to find out which of the many things that made the imbalance was the one that had the most effect.

What's more important than that is to use things that will absolutely work at creating Republic hype- though I should note these would be imbalancing things (not in gameplay imbalance, but in the next few months marketting and cosmetic bonuses).

Including- Obi Wan looking moddable armour that would coincide with all gear being able to be modded to BiS status (even if that means taking mods out of operation gear). Other nice looking armour sets, specifically ones for JK which is a bit lacking.

Some more interesting choices- from what I've seen, the jedi knight seems pretty spot on for lore... however, jedi are kind of boring most of the time- add more dialogue that's akin to things Obi Wan would say... I might be biased in that Obi Wan was the only thing I loved about the prequels. It's good that you got the lore pretty well for JK/JC... but people don't want to be selfless monks with powers and laser swords.

Improve on dark side choices- make dark side also mean something. Right now, dark side gives you what, a couple of relics and saber crystal colour choice? Have some sets of moddable dark and light side gear- so that you can really make your character look like a dark sider/light sider. Include things like- black robes Luke wore, Obi Wan's armoured robes but darker. Revan was a jedi for a while- make some darker Revan like robes, and some masks for jedi.

Satele is dressed in consular gear... that doesn't exist- you don't need to copy it, but make something like it- I mean, you can look very close to the smuggler in the vids, Malgus, the BH, the SI, the trooper... but nothing like the JC? It's light, attractive, not overbearing and functional.

Publicity- you obviously can't stop showing Imperial additions... but making more Republic spotlights- you know the side is hurting on some servers- make another Republic cinematic, or at least some Republic podcasts.

Add another race or two to the Republic, expand their cosmetic choices. Torgruta would work- if helmets is such a problem, just make them unable to wear them- most people turn the helmet off anyway, and while yes people would complain- the silent majority would like just having the race. I don't think wookiee would help tbh- it might seem great at first, but after 100 hours of hearing RRRAUAAUGHAHGHAGHARRRRR!!!!! every time you talk to someone you'll be hating the race.

Zeltrons would work too- they have unique skin and hair colours that would be popular- they have interesting lore. And, if you do have plans for adding some race based conversation options- they could make for some funny lines/flirt options. Zeltrons would fit perfectly for smuggler, but I do believe they can have force sensitivity too- so perhaps zeltron JC and Smugg, and torgruta trooper and JK? I think that alone would go a long way.

Upgrade some animations too- pebble throw for example, I've seen world boss JCs use that ability but they're tossing dozens of torso sizes rocks- it actually looks REALLY cool, and you already have the animation in game!

Heck, make Legacy give optional 'skins' for abilities, so it could be something to work towards- as long as it's possible to get somehow, people who want better looking rock throw will get it.

I agree that the cause is irrelevant at this point, and looking forward at how to fix it is the most important thing at the moment. Publicity, like you said, is by far the easiest and fastest way to get a little bump in republic populations.

They already have this in the game his name is Revan.

True. So what you're saying is that the Republic should be the ones who have access to his helmet, saber and armor? Cause I'm sorry, but even if the class I'm fighting is completely a joke in a PvP situation, getting attacked in that get-up would be beyond cool.

While there are some interesting points here, I think one of the biggest reasons for the imbalance is one that's been mentioned before: we've seen the Republic story before. Almost every single Star Wars game focuses on the perspective of the Jedi, Republic, or someone affiliated with the Rebellion/Republic. By contrast, games and stories told from the perspective of the Sith, the bounty hunters, and the shadowy spies are rare. There's a lot more freedom for creativity in the Imperial stories as a result, and people are going to naturally be interested in seeing stories from the perspectives you rarely hear about.

As for the Republic getting more alien races than the Empire? No. No, I don't think the Republic should. The Empire's racism mainly mitigates against alien Imperial Agents and Sith Warriors. Inquisitors start off as slaves, and Bounty Hunters are independent. You meet Imperial slaves and bounty hunters of all manner of races, and there are notable exceptions to every race's stereotype. Those big fuzzy Talz that help the Republic on Hoth? Sith Warriors have a psychopathic Talz warrior companion. Togruta? Sith Inquisitors have a fallen Torgruta Jedi companion. Imperial Agents work with a Gand on Belsavis. Torhead leaks indicate we'll be seeing a Chagrian admiral in the Imperial Navy.

More race options are good. Restricting them to the Republic is not.

I realy liked the dynamic of Ashara in the inquisitor story. How she believes she remains a jedi even tho she gives in to emotions. I played my jedi up to 30s and the dialog is realy terrible, the writing is clearly aimed at 12 year olds similar to power rangers. Things like "help help!!" and my jedi replies "Don't worry, this thread will soon be over. The Force is with me." WHO TALKS LIKE THAT?!?!

They realy need to add 4th or 5th dialog options in the jedi storylines with more mature phrases, AND PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE MY CHARACTER SAY WHAT ITS WRITTEN, NOT RANDOM THINGS - im sick and tired of pressing escape because my character says something stupid instead of whats written on the wheel.

As happened alot, it was written something like "That's ok" and my character said "You dont have a clue what you're saying" with a -1 on kira :\

" Have you seen what the sith are wearing? It's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went over to the dark side " ~ Kira Carson

The above quotation is also completely correctly recently i've been leveling my sith character i've noticed a way bigger selection in terms of gear design, every jedi wears the same looking robe, troopers armor is basically 100% the same with different colourings, smugglers have the same coats and cowboy hats.

There's just nothing special about republic looking armor in comparison to the sith, while it might not be a big problem to some people actually like how there character looks. I hope bioware can take note of this and change future republic armor to be a bit more appealing than the current rags we are forced to wear.