@BioWare - Suggestions to Improve Republic Appeal / Faction Balance

Sagarys

I'll toss my name in as supporting most of the OP's suggestions. However, I do want to note that, ultimately, some people will just never dig Republic (or Empire), and you shouldn't expect drastic changes in population from everyone. I will never not main a Sith. I enjoy Dark Side more, and Sith are my thing in the Star Wars universe. Warrior, currently, though if the Inquisitor storyline had better reviews they'd be my thing instead, I dig lightning.

But anyway. Good suggestions, but keep in mind there will always be people who simply don't like Republic, no matter how you tweak it.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried out 6 reps and 2 imps, and there is nothing in OP that I disagree with.

In addition, I am an old-school Star Wars fan. I recognize Episode IV-VI. This makes for a problem, as the Imp environment is the one that looks most Star Wars to me. But this is not consequent either. Reps have the stormtrooper-looking troopers, and the walkers. This doesn't even make sense in its own context. It's like the dev teams for the different factions sat down at a big table and took turns choosing tech for their side.

"We want the star destroyers!"

"Alright, but ONLY IF WE GET THE WALKERS!"

The Empire of SWTOR is not the same Empire in the movies. The Empire from SWTOR eventually gets defeated and loses. The Republic wins, and as we see in Episode II & III, the Republic is the one with white armoured troopers, which eventually changes its name to the Empire. There are thousands of years spanning SWTOR and the movies. The only problem the devs had was in re-using the movie terms (not only Imperial, but also Separatist) to describe ancient and unrelated factions.

At the time of SWTOR, here are some relative dates (rounded off a bit):

The Republic is about 21,300 years old

The Sith Order is about 3,250 years old

The two sides actually forgot about each other until around 1,350 years before SWTOR

There is another 3,650 years until Episode IV happens

3,650 year ago of Eath time was the era of Hammurabi and the end of the Wooly Mammoth, the early beginnings of the Mayans, and before the alphabet.

There aren't many technological changes that happen, but a lot happens politically in such a large time period. Earth saw the rise and fall of many civilizations in that timespan.

I'm still not seeing the big problem with this Republic needs an appeal issue. And I'm starting to think that everybody who complained on these forums probably didn't even level past 20 or 16. I read from alot of people that the Jedi Knight story does end very well.

The bottom line is this: what do you want to play? Sith and be evil or Jedi and be righteous? mean Imperial Agent or funny Smuggler? Trooper, or Bounty Hunter? Consular or Inquisitor? It's that simple.

I chose to play a Jedi Sage over a Sith Sorcerer because I thought throwing random objects at people was cooler looking and more fun than spamming lightning all the time. Of course I'm going to be a Darth Vader wannabe and play a Sith Juggernaut over a Jedi Guardian, but that doesn't mean I don't want to play a Jedi Sentinel in the future. It's David Hayter voicing!

Same thing with Smuggler vs Imperial Agent, I wanted to be Han Solo and not evil James Bond. The stories are supposed to be different where the republic is going to be the good guys (and yes it can be boring) and the Empire evil and more fun with DS choices. I'm kinda enjoying a break from being evil all the time. But from what I noticed, no real differences. you are still leveling up to the endgame to raid or PVP one another.

Edited by jestertron

Another bump for this post, I wanna see a Developer throw in a response on here!

BTW, when you respond to this post, scroll down below the text box your typing in, and go to the little Scroll Down Rating Box in the "Additional Options" Section, and rate this 5 Stars if you agree with the OP. Anything to get the Dev's attention.

Edited by Imminentend

I'm still not seeing the big problem with this Republic needs an appeal issue. And I'm starting to think that everybody who complained on these forums probably didn't even level past 20 or 16. I read from alot of people that the Jedi Knight story does end very well.

The bottom line is this: what do you want to play? Sith and be evil or Jedi and be righteous? mean Imperial Agent or funny Smuggler? Trooper, or Bounty Hunter? Consular or Inquisitor? It's that simple.

I chose to play a Jedi Sage over a Sith Sorcerer because I thought throwing random objects at people was cooler looking and more fun than spamming lightning all the time. Of course I'm going to be a Darth Vader wannabe and play a Sith Juggernaut over a Jedi Guardian, but that doesn't mean I don't want to play a Jedi Sentinel in the future. It's David Hayter voicing!

Same thing with Smuggler vs Imperial Agent, I wanted to be Han Solo and not evil James Bond. The stories are supposed to be different where the republic is going to be the good guys (and yes it can be boring) and the Empire evil and more fun with DS choices. I'm kinda enjoying a break from being evil all the time. But from what I noticed, no real differences. you are still leveling up to the endgame to raid or PVP one another.

I'd agree with you if the current state of "people play what they want" didn't result in 3-7:1 ratios of Sith to Republic depending on the server.

1) The Jedi classes lack proper Jedi flavor (Jedi dialogue feels robotic): As a writer and fan of sci-fi/fantasy fiction, I tend to pay more attention than most to the narrative aspects of this game. For the most part, the overall stories for all of the classes are, at the very least, interesting -- some being stronger than others. But I think where the writing staff missed the mark is in the dialogue for the Jedi's. Let's be honest, it's easy to write stereotypical evil (i.e. the Sith). You could remove the Sith Warrior from his story and replace him with almost any insatiably evil villain, and the lines would work. The difficult part is writing a "Good" character that is still interesting. To me, it seems that the writers went for stereotypical "Good" which translates to "Dull." It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally realized what the Jedi's dialogue lines are missing. Star Wars has always prided itself on its witty, deadpan, sometimes out-of-place humor even in very dire situations. For example, in an episode of the Clone Wars a character mentions something about Anakin doing something that is going to make him and Mace potentially fall to their deaths. Instead of panicking, Obi Wan says something along the lines of "That's Anakin." Then Rex chimes in with, "Most of the General's plans involve falling, sir." It's that sort of snarky banter that the Jedi and their allies are famous for. Sadly, the Jedi's in SWTOR are the more cut and dry, "I'm going to do the right thing now because it's right" sort of "Good" which like I said, I feel really lacks the proper flavor and personality that actually make the Jedi's cool rather than robotic. All that said, I do feel that that sort of personality was captured in the Smuggler's lines.

A caveat to this point - I am well aware of the fact that it is highly unlikely that BioWare will be devoting the immense amounts of time and resources that it would take to go back, rewrite, recode, and rerecord of all the dialogue scenes. This point is more wishful thinking, but it is definitely something that could be improved upon in future content.

2) The Republic needs more cool alien races (making this one green because it seems to be the most popular idea by far): This was said in another thread somewhere, and I agreed with it. The Sith are the racists. The Republic are open to alien relations. There should be many more race options available to the Republic that AREN'T (<---this is key) available to the Sith. This would give an incentive to roll Republic. Examples of races that could be included are the Kel Dor (Master Plo Koon), the Nautolan (Master Kit Fisto), Togruta (Ahsoka Tano), Wookies! (for Smugglers!), the Voss, etc. These are races that I've already seen in game, so the models are already there. They just need to be playable. This would definitely draw players that are more interested in aesthetics to the Republic.

3) Not every Jedi wears a brown hooded robe: The amount of variety that the Empire has in terms of gear compared to the Republic is absurd. They have many more aesthetic options to choose from, and most of them are MUCH cooler and MUCH more intricate than the Republic's options. The next time the gear design team sits down to create some Jedi gear, they may want to look at some pictures of the armor Obi Wan wears in the Clone Wars or the outfit Anakin wears. Heck, even Luke in the Return of the Jedi had some sweet black gear. Just remember this -- when someone who isn't super-versed in Star Wars looks at a picture of the Jedi Knight PvP gear (the Samurai) then looks at the Sith Juggernaut PvP or PvE gear (the massive cyborg mech thing), most people are going to pick the Sith. If the aesthetics are their only concern, the Republic is doomed.

10) The Republic needs a more edgy and appealing, rebellious Jedi "Face" for the faction to draw new players -- Satele isn't cutting it (making this one green because it is fairly popular as well): Someone in this thread (TheRealDestian on page 3) suggested that the Republic needed a renegade Jedi to represent them. Then he went on to describe a cinematic. This got me thinking. Currently, with the exception of Satele, the Jedi Order is full of a bunch of no-name, generic "Masters" who you hardly ever see and certainly aren't cool enough to make anyone want to join the Republic. Heck, even Satele is only one step above these guys. What the Republic really needs is a bad-@ss, smart-@ss, rugged, rebellious Jedi to star in some cinematics to make the Republic look more awesome. Think something like Anakin from the Clone Wars, or Starkiller from Force Unleashed (when you play him light side), or Dash Rendar with a lightsaber -- or perhaps all three smashed into one. This will be a character that plays by his own rules, skirts the line between light and dark, but is 100% loyal to the Jedi Order and to the Republic. As the poster mentioned, the Order doesn't necessarily approve of his tactics, but they tend to overlook them as they ultimately get results. A character like this will help battle the "Good is Dumb" attitude that many players have and will serve to draw more players to the Republic by his sheer awesomeness. I think a more edgy, aggressive character like this will help dispel the sissy pacifistic stigma that the Republic has somehow ended up with.

11) Purple lightsaber shouldn't be "evil": OK, I admit, this one won't do anything for faction imbalance at all because of the current Light/Dark system, but this just irks me. The only person to ever use a purple saber was Mace Windu... a JEDI Master. Why is the purple crystal stuffed into all of the Sith PvP gear? Someone mentioned that making the purple crystal Republic only might bring some people over. I'm going to have to agree, though I'll admit it's fairly trivial compared to the other ideas. At the very least, it should be a Lightside III+ crystal since I'm pretty sure Mace wasn't a Sith Lord!

I'm leaving the posts that I believe to be relevant in that post. Spreading propaganda is ALWAYS a bad idea. The republic needs more player base yes. Throwing rocks is much less cool than lightning...it just is. In galaxies (I KNOW IT'S NOT THE SAME GAME) a jedi could spec in the dark side of the force and remain loyal to the republic. There are jedi, Plo Koon, who have used the dark side of the force (in the form of force lightning) and also remained loyal to the light side.

That said, for point one I agree. In my small experience with the sith warrior compared to my whole time as a jedi knight I am very angry. The jedi feels less "free". That's honestly not how my fantasy of the jedi goes. I am completely aware that the jedi are servants of the republic and that they give up a lot of their own personal desires. That's perfectly understandable. What erks me is the utter lack of any reason to do anything dark side aside from just to be a *****. I've wanted to kill many a senator. Perhaps force persuade them to do my bidding as a jedi and get something done in the senate. Much of the same way Anakin desired. I'll take the dark side points for it. I really don't care. I just want the option to "make a difference in the galaxy MY way." Where as a sith warrior when I was evil it was expected. If I was good. I was benevolent and many of those around me (who didn't view it as weakness) took it as "Oh our leader is capable of understanding while still being an absolute ******." POINT BEING - I feel tied to the light side as a jedi where I don't feel that as a sith with the dark side.

For point two, I agree again. The sith got three races which are much more iconic than a bind dude and green people. Nuff said on that one.

Point three. Yes, completely true. Having sith only gear and jedi only gear kind of annoys me. I'm aware this isn't WoW but Warriors on both sides wore mostly the same get up. You've never wanted to be a sith wearing a jedi robe to pose as the enemy? You've never wanted to be a TRUE fallen jedi? Some things being one side only (pvp gear for instance) I can see, but for the rest of it NO!

Point 10 (or 4 on my list). While this would be cool I don't see it happening. Shen has somehow become the defacto leader of the republic. Why not make a supreme chancellor who's just an absolute bad***? Jedi taking major leadership roles isn't new. Leading the republic in its entirety with NO other republic face to answer to THAT EVEN WE THE REPUBLIC PLAYERS HAVEN'T HEARD OF? Absolutely not. I mean I bought the limited edition, the closest thing that the light side got (while I love this thing) was a book where the dark side got a statue.

And last but not least point 11, or, point 5 for me. This is by far the most childish thing I've seen. Making a post to help the imbalance effort is commendable, but when you make us out to look like children who cry over who got the cooler color; it makes out side seem less fun.

I understand Mace used it. I also understand from my knowledge of the universe he got his crystal on Ilum and it was unheard of in his time. BUT if you know ANYTHING about mace you'd know he was close to the dark side. He understood his dark nature and that's what made him strong. I won't go into all the details but he used the Vapaad form of lightsaber combat which he mastered and I believe invented. A form where you channeled your opponents (usually sith) own force energy against them. Since this often tapped into the dark side of the force it brought you terribly close and Mace lost many apprentices by trying to teach them this form.

With all of the above said I will say that the alignment system, while fun and new, it kind of irritates me that a crystal would react to alignment. If that were true then when Obi-Wan came after Anakin after he murdered children his lightsaber would have either de-equipped itself (LOL) or short circuited (LOL). Neither happened. Saber crystal color has only been red for sith due to the fact that many synthesized crystals have that color and its become iconic. Blue and green were colors found on the jedi home worlds in caves when a padawan was sent to get a crystal. My honest suggestion is remove the alignment from saber crystals entirely its pointless and imho stupid...Adi Gallia is a prime example of a JEDI MASTER USING A RED CRYSTAL WHO WAS FAR FROM THE DARK SIDE!

I'm leaving the posts that I believe to be relevant in that post. Spreading propaganda is ALWAYS a bad idea. The republic needs more player base yes. Throwing rocks is much less cool than lightning...it just is. In galaxies (I KNOW IT'S NOT THE SAME GAME) a jedi could spec in the dark side of the force and remain loyal to the republic. There are jedi, Plo Koon, who have used the dark side of the force (in the form of force lightning) and also remained loyal to the light side.

That said, for point one I agree. In my small experience with the sith warrior compared to my whole time as a jedi knight I am very angry. The jedi feels less "free". That's honestly not how my fantasy of the jedi goes. I am completely aware that the jedi are servants of the republic and that they give up a lot of their own personal desires. That's perfectly understandable. What erks me is the utter lack of any reason to do anything dark side aside from just to be a *****. I've wanted to kill many a senator. Perhaps force persuade them to do my bidding as a jedi and get something done in the senate. Much of the same way Anakin desired. I'll take the dark side points for it. I really don't care. I just want the option to "make a difference in the galaxy MY way." Where as a sith warrior when I was evil it was expected. If I was good. I was benevolent and many of those around me (who didn't view it as weakness) took it as "Oh our leader is capable of understanding while still being an absolute ******." POINT BEING - I feel tied to the light side as a jedi where I don't feel that as a sith with the dark side.

For point two, I agree again. The sith got three races which are much more iconic than a bind dude and green people. Nuff said on that one.

Point three. Yes, completely true. Having sith only gear and jedi only gear kind of annoys me. I'm aware this isn't WoW but Warriors on both sides wore mostly the same get up. You've never wanted to be a sith wearing a jedi robe to pose as the enemy? You've never wanted to be a TRUE fallen jedi? Some things being one side only (pvp gear for instance) I can see, but for the rest of it NO!

Point 10 (or 4 on my list). While this would be cool I don't see it happening. Shen has somehow become the defacto leader of the republic. Why not make a supreme chancellor who's just an absolute bad***? Jedi taking major leadership roles isn't new. Leading the republic in its entirety with NO other republic face to answer to THAT EVEN WE THE REPUBLIC PLAYERS HAVEN'T HEARD OF? Absolutely not. I mean I bought the limited edition, the closest thing that the light side got (while I love this thing) was a book where the dark side got a statue.

And last but not least point 11, or, point 5 for me. This is by far the most childish thing I've seen. Making a post to help the imbalance effort is commendable, but when you make us out to look like children who cry over who got the cooler color; it makes out side seem less fun.

I understand Mace used it. I also understand from my knowledge of the universe he got his crystal on Ilum and it was unheard of in his time. BUT if you know ANYTHING about mace you'd know he was close to the dark side. He understood his dark nature and that's what made him strong. I won't go into all the details but he used the Vapaad form of lightsaber combat which he mastered and I believe invented. A form where you channeled your opponents (usually sith) own force energy against them. Since this often tapped into the dark side of the force it brought you terribly close and Mace lost many apprentices by trying to teach them this form.

With all of the above said I will say that the alignment system, while fun and new, it kind of irritates me that a crystal would react to alignment. If that were true then when Obi-Wan came after Anakin after he murdered children his lightsaber would have either de-equipped itself (LOL) or short circuited (LOL). Neither happened. Saber crystal color has only been red for sith due to the fact that many synthesized crystals have that color and its become iconic. Blue and green were colors found on the jedi home worlds in caves when a padawan was sent to get a crystal. My honest suggestion is remove the alignment from saber crystals entirely its pointless and imho stupid...Adi Gallia is a prime example of a JEDI MASTER USING A RED CRYSTAL WHO WAS FAR FROM THE DARK SIDE!

To each his own! Didn't know that about Mace though. Very cool!

A suggestion thats getting a lot of push on another post is the Group Finder system similar to WoW. At first glance it seems unrelated to the imbalance issue, but when you look at it closely you can see it could be used as a quick band-aid.

Republic players have expressed that they are very unhappy with their limited ability to form groups for Flashpoints due to the lesser population, and thus in turn MIGHT (emphasis on MIGHT) reroll Empire to obtain the ability to form groups. So, a Group Finder system could be used as a method to retain the current Republic population while finding more permanent solutions to fix the population numbers. IMO, retaining the current population is equally as important as getting new people to join. Strong Community ---> Strong Server --> Strong Game

Point three. Yes, completely true. Having sith only gear and jedi only gear kind of annoys me. I'm aware this isn't WoW but Warriors on both sides wore mostly the same get up. You've never wanted to be a sith wearing a jedi robe to pose as the enemy? You've never wanted to be a TRUE fallen jedi? Some things being one side only (pvp gear for instance) I can see, but for the rest of it NO![/url]

This is a really interesting idea that I haven't seen or thought about before. The idea of a fallen jedi being able to wear sith gear would be awesome, and add a whole new level of variety to the republic, and vice versa to the empire.

To be honest, if they did that it would remove one of the primary reasons for the faction imbalance to begin with. At the very least there should be some way to get cross-faction armor, even if it was really difficult.

Agreed, its definitely been established that a lot of the imbalance comes from the "coolness" factor of the sith, ie. armor.

10) The Republic needs a more edgy and appealing, rebellious Jedi "Face" for the faction to draw new players -- Satele isn't cutting it (making this one green because it is fairly popular as well): Someone in this thread (TheRealDestian on page 3) suggested that the Republic needed a renegade Jedi to represent them. Then he went on to describe a cinematic. This got me thinking. Currently, with the exception of Satele, the Jedi Order is full of a bunch of no-name, generic "Masters" who you hardly ever see and certainly aren't cool enough to make anyone want to join the Republic. Heck, even Satele is only one step above these guys. What the Republic really needs is a bad-@ss, smart-@ss, rugged, rebellious Jedi to star in some cinematics to make the Republic look more awesome. Think something like Anakin from the Clone Wars, or Starkiller from Force Unleashed (when you play him light side), or Dash Rendar with a lightsaber -- or perhaps all three smashed into one. This will be a character that plays by his own rules, skirts the line between light and dark, but is 100% loyal to the Jedi Order and to the Republic. As the poster mentioned, the Order doesn't necessarily approve of his tactics, but they tend to overlook them as they ultimately get results. A character like this will help battle the "Good is Dumb" attitude that many players have and will serve to draw more players to the Republic by his sheer awesomeness. I think a more edgy, aggressive character like this will help dispel the sissy pacifistic stigma that the Republic has somehow ended up with.

One point that I think could help Is changing animations so that they fit with DS/LS choice.

Imagine, if your a dark side Jedi, your going to do what it takes to get the job done. This should be applied to your moves.

What I mean by this is allowing a option for your force animations as well as light saber combat to change to reflect your characters choice in going to the dark side. I'm not meaning that Consular gets lightning just like the inquisitor, I meaning more that their current moves take a dark side feel to them. This will make the choice of going dark side more meaningful to some, as they will see multiple changes to their character, since that character will be changing to the dark side. It will also allow for people who wanted to be Republic, but wanted 'lightning pew pew' to have that, without going to the Empire.

Possible Move examples that can be changed:

Telekinetic throw: This move, compared to the Sith Inq is probably the big one in terms of 'cool giggle factor'. With my idea we could possible see that this move has flickers of electricity going through the move. The move itself hasn't really changed, there are still pebbles there, all that we have done is add a bit of lightning to it. Now, before people say that this is too much like the sith, that it isn't very Jedi just remember, this is for Dark Side Jedi.

Project: This one is a little harder to do. Again, we could follow the same approach as TK throw, in that we are adding more lightning to the move. The only problem with this is, it will become 'just another lightning move', and the one thing i noticed with Consular s is that fact that they have some variety in their project move. It isn't always a rock, but other random things. We can work on this a little. Firstly, since we pull out parts of droids, why don't we pull out a whole one that makes the screaming noise that R2-D2 makes. So, when we throw it you hear that sound as this little droid is hurled at you. This will add a little humor to the class, as well as a dark side feel, since yor are throwing a Droid at them.

Other possible changes to Project: added Lightning to the move; pulling out molten rock; pulling out a Light Saber, which is then activated, and thrown at the target.

Stasis Field: This, like Telekinetic throw is another move that gives a 'giggle' factor to the Sith, compared the the Jedi. Continuing with the whole Dark side twist, we could make it that doing Stasis will actually squeeze the target, pretty much just crushing them.

Light Saber Combat: This can also be changed with going to the Dark side. What we do is make the style of fighting less precise, controlled, which it currently is (which fits the whole Jedi style) and make it aggressive, brutal, violent. In short, we make the combat look more like what the sith have. So we just find a middle ground for it, somewhere between what is currently in place and what the sith have. The Jedi can't do a complete change, because this is how the Jedi has been trained to fight, so suddenly doing a complete change would seem strange. What could happen is the current is, by going Dark side the character just changes them to be more brutal etc, of what is currently there.

These would all become available to the Dark side player at Dark side 2, maybe 3.

Now, I know that players of Light side might feel cheated out of the 'cool' moves because of this, but that's how it goes. If they didn't want to go Dark side in the first place, then they don't get the dark side force moves. The Light saber moves on the other hand could be allowed for both sides, possibly.

We could also allow a section in the options called character animations. In this section the player can choose whether or not their character will have Animation A (normal) or B (Dark side). This will mainly be for Dark Side players (In terms of the Force moves that mainly involve lightning) so that, if they don't like the darker look they can toggle it off, just like the dark side corruption, but for set moves. This will add more variety in the characters as well as making the Jedi classes look 'cooler'.

Edited by cyco

I also would like to see lightsaber combat style and stance like the one seen on The Force Unleashed games. At least for the sentinel it would make much sense. I know, I know, more work for the animation team but all those small things mixed with some more can really improve appeal for the faction and its classes.

Give Republic Yoda Race to choose from and watch people re-roll in droves.

/end thread

Add Darth Vader face mask (headgear) to balance out the Imps. :D

Anyway, I'm in favor for adding more playable races to Rep... mystics Voss will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by pangwl

I think increasing the world effects/consequences for DS/LS actions is a great idea. It would be even better if you could "flip" all the way over. Based on his decisions, Jedi eventually turns to Sith, etc.

I wonder how difficult "intermingling" the factions would be??

Providing this ability in an expansion/patch would greatly increase the story line.

Edited by Animisparati

Unlocking some different conversation options depending on your dark and light side would be nice as well. Obviously you have your 1 DS/LS choice every now and then, but if you get to say DS III, your regular conversation options could mix it up a little and have a bit more of a synical feel to them, and get increasingly more as your DS progresses.

This could definitely bring you closer to that whole "Fallen Jedi" thing

Edited by Imminentend

Mace-Windu wasn't a Sith Lord, no. But, the purple color was symbolic, indicating that the bearer had studied several forms of lightsaber combat, including delving into the dark techniques of the Sith. It's an extremely rare coloured crystal and Mace luckily found on on the planet Hurikane.

Maybe with Legacy they'll introduce certain lightsaber combat technique's and you'll be able to have it as Republic? Or dark side Republic players? Idk. But that's your answer as to why and how Mace-Windu was able to wield a Purple lightsaber even though it belongs to the Sith.

Edited by Mattderp

Purple crystal. Seriously. Make it happen. This is a huge symptom of Imperial favoritism. There's no reason why Jedi can't have a purple crystal. It just shows people that Sith = customization. Jedi = well, do you want to play a goody-two-shoes Jedi? Great! Play Republic! No? Well.... ummm.... we'll get back to you.