'True' Jedi Roleplay must be TERRIBLE!

SilverSomething

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that Jedi can't have or even show emotion, but they are supposed to act with a level head without their emotions clouding their judgement.

Jedi are still sentient beings, not omnicient or omnipresent, they still get and show emotions. The Jedi Code is often times misinterpreted to believe they're emotionless robots.

Strip away your emotions, you will find peace. Jedi are mature and serious in their undertakings. Repressing and pushing emotions asides is just as bad as acting on negative impulses. Don't blindly post the Jedi code if you don't understand the meaning within it's words. The context of it that is.

Strip away your emotions, you will find peace. Jedi are mature and serious in their undertakings. Repressing and pushing emotions asides is just as bad as acting on negative impulses. Don't blindly post the Jedi code if you don't understand the meaning within it's words. The context of it that is.

There is no Emotion there is Peace. I know that it means:

It is not to say that emotion does not exist but that it ought to be set aside. Emotions must be understood first, and it is a young Jedi's duty to explore his feelings. Unless a Jedi can confront his thoughts and feelings, he will never achieve peace. Emotions, then, are not to be overcome or denied, but rather understood and dealt with.

Aka: A jedi must not let his/her emotions get the better of him/her but, must set the persons emotions aside. This means that if a person's family member, lets say Brother, joins the sith, they must be killed even if their brother is their best friend. A human being wouldn't kill his/her brother even if they joined the dark side.

Also, there are 3 diffrent jedi codes. I put the one that was revised by Odan-????

Edited by SilverSomething

Ben Kenobi and Luke, even Yoda shows emotion, laughing is emotion for starters. They just keep level heads, but yes they can also joke around and dare I say have fun the Jedi way :)

Enjoy

-Kass-

Edited by KassKass

There's a difference between being emotionless... and being able to distance oneself from emotion. In fact, you could say that those attuned to the Force are actually more likely to feel strong emotion than those who do not, because they are more aware of their own inner nature and that of those around them. But because of the way emotions interact with the Force, it is important to the Jedi that they are able to separate themselves from those emotions. Awareness... not suppression. Distance... not ignorance.

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

it refers to allowing emotions but not have them cloud your judgement, total rejection of emotions is impossible for a sentient beeing

I know, I mean by True Jedi someone that follows it to the T and shows no emotion.

Someone who follows a single code letter by letter is a complete idiot, not a true jedi at all. It's the same with all religious monks throughout our real world- they spend a great deal of time interpretting and meditating on the MEANING of the codes and documents, because they realize nothing is clear cut.

Frankly, someone who followed a code like that to the T could be a heartless mass murderer- which isn't a true jedi obviously.

There is no Emotion there is Peace. I know that it means:

It is not to say that emotion does not exist but that it ought to be set aside. Emotions must be understood first, and it is a young Jedi's duty to explore his feelings. Unless a Jedi can confront his thoughts and feelings, he will never achieve peace. Emotions, then, are not to be overcome or denied, but rather understood and dealt with.

Aka: A jedi must not let his/her emotions get the better of him/her but, must set the persons emotions aside. This means that if a person's family member, lets say Brother, joins the sith, they must be killed even if their brother is their best friend. A human being wouldn't kill his/her brother even if they joined the dark side.

Also, there are 3 diffrent jedi codes. I put the one that was revised by Odan-????

You know I had agreed with this. Until you get the mission I. The early Jedi force-users level to go spy on two lovebird padawans. The quest line and it's options if you turn them in reallly seem to push the "nope you can't have this at all" idea.

Which I thought would make for interesting RP if no Jedi can have relationships/family - lol

I'll be honest. IMO....it's boring :-p Emotions, afterall, is what helps fuel a good character in text form.

A true Jedi acts without emotion. As stated in the code. However this does not mean that they are not capable of such emotions and are not judged when slipping. Sentient beings, afterall, can't be blamed for who they are.

The code is a guideline and statement of how a Jedi should strive to be. It is not, however, a law or rule that is enforced strictly.

It is this struggle to keep to the code, and falling to their basics sentient rights that makes the character in question. Unfortunatly I have found playing a 'True' Jedi is easier done as NPC's instead of main characters. Still...I seem to be doing alright with Ahrissa Vander (my Jedi)

In the Jedi Code it says Jedi don't get emotion because, "It leads to The Dark Side" Whats your opinion on roleplaying a 'True' Jedi in The Old Republic.

The Jedi Code is a mantra, and cannot be taken literally, as mantra are designed to help one internalize a set of teachings. Jedi are both allowed and encouraged to experience and understand their emotions in a nice, healthy manner.

A true Jedi acts without emotion.

A true Jedi does not allow his/her emotions to cloud their judgement. There are thousands of examples of this in the movies and the lore, But to cite the obvious:

Anakin Skywalker became anxious over loosing his mother, when he failed to prevent her death it led to anger, and he killed all those Sandpeople. A Jedi in control of his emotions would still have mourned the loss of his mother, would still have been sad, but would have left the way he came, quickly and quietly.

Anakin was weak, he allowed his emotions to rule his judgement, which was why Sideous was able to manipulate him.

A Jedi with no emotions would not care about anything, one way or the other, Republic or Empire, nothing.

In the Jedi Code it says Jedi don't get emotion because, "It leads to The Dark Side" Whats your opinion on roleplaying a 'True' Jedi in The Old Republic.

Personally I find the Jedi philosophy repugnant

But it works in the SW setting because things like the Force exist, and not only are influenced by emotions, the interaction between strong emotion and the force seems to be an addictive, self perpetuating cycle (hence "falling to the darkside" being less a choice and more an addictive result of how the force works).

But it still means Jedi are fundamentally artificial. They are not in harmony, they are in denial. It must truly suck but its the only way to remain sane if you won the genetic lottery and can interact with the force.

(Yeah this totally means the Sith are basically junkies)

Personally I find the Jedi philosophy repugnant

But it works in the SW setting because things like the Force exist, and not only are influenced by emotions, the interaction between strong emotion and the force seems to be an addictive, self perpetuating cycle (hence "falling to the darkside" being less a choice and more an addictive result of how the force works).

But it still means Jedi are fundamentally artificial. They are not in harmony, they are in denial. It must truly suck but its the only way to remain sane if you won the genetic lottery and can interact with the force.

(Yeah this totally means the Sith are basically junkies)

You find the idea of understanding your own emotions so you can make an informed decision with as little bias as possible, repugnant?