Is anyone else tired of Bioware pissing on Sentinels?

Araxus

I like my Sents story, but after taking a break from TOR I dunno how compelled I am to finish it. My Shadow has a terrible story, but is fun to play, has usable utility, and doesn't get butt ****ed when I press the wrong key.

Frankly, I'm tired of playing this game and having to work 10x harder than every other class to be on par with average players. I'm tired of not being able to play a spec designed for PVP in pvp. I'm tired of having like 14 abilities that are situational responses and not being able to use them for lack of focus or right spec or being on cooldown or being shut down by others' CC. I'm tired of being dominated because I'm the easy target in WZ even when I'm playing my class well(it varies by server and WZ)... I'm tired of Kira not givin up the *** cause apparently girl on girl isn't allowed in Star Wars...

>.>

<.<

I have played WoW. I played all kinds of classes. EQ too. Hiro's comment about ding 60, 70, 80, 85 and just rolling people in PVP is nonesense. It takes a little skill for some classes, lots of skill for others, but once you ground out the gear and got on par, it seemed to get better. In this game even with gear most other Sents I see just can't compete in lot's of situations.

It's different when FOTM is OP and everyone is balanced. In this everyone else seems OP or at least balanced around their utility mechs while Sents as a whole seem to be draggin ***.

I'm not mad because the class is hard to play... I'm just sorry for Sents because it takes way more effort to keep up with everyone else. Playing a Sent feels like growing up in the ghetto while everyone else lives uptown. That ****'s hard. It has its moments. But if MOST sents suck, It's a measure of the class not the player, especially if what's required for the success of a class goes far above and beyond what's required for everyone else. And especially if even with level and gear advantage you still find yourself behind players 10 or 15 or 20 levels below you playing at their skill level.

You can't blame just the players if the majority of them can't figure it out. At the same time if the class can be successful and you want to play the class, then learn how to be successful. Help each other out, don't beat each other down... the whole crabs in a bucket feel is reminiscent of the ghetto too.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, no we don't.

Knockback with the 100% snare on it? So sorry Sentinel, you aren't Combat specced? You are shut off for about 6 seconds.

Oh, you waited the 6 seconds and jumped on me? So sorry. Root, now I will casually walk away.

Oh you waited 5 seconds and got on me again? Long term mez... And I walk away...

Oh you jumped on me again? Here we go again... Knockback with 100% snare!

There are tons of ways of kiting a good Sentinel.

First knockback - Force Leap

Root - CC break

Long term mez? - Force Stasis, you aren't going anywhere

Second knockback - Force Camoflauge

During all of this I'm not even mentioning our defensive buffs or the critical burns ticking on you as I'm stunning/invisible.

A good sent saves his cooldowns for the exact moment he needs them.

The above duder is right. We nonstop juggle our cooldowns for the appropriate situation.

Root - CC break

During all of this I'm not even mentioning our defensive buffs or the critical burns ticking on you as I'm stunning/invisible.

The above duder is right. We nonstop juggle our cooldowns for the appropriate situation.

You can be knocked back and rooted, no force leap (fade will work IF you are combat spec, but you speak of burns so I assume your not combat spec)

whirlwind=no force stasis

Use of Camo after a knockback is silly because you need the dmg mitigation (watch spec) when your slowed by lightning and stuck in a death from above aoe

resolute trumps, sure, but with the bevvy of KB's stuns and mezzes its not enough to overcome

Most of the cry that I see here are from people who have a hard time dealing with sorcs. I mean who isn't? Sentinels aren't the only class being kited by a sorc. Everybody gets annoyed by them so why just include only Sentinels being properly kited by good sorcs. TBH my Sentinel and Marauder Facerolls sorc and sages especially bounty hunters. So what's the problem here? -__-

Most of the cry that I see here are from people who have a hard time dealing with sorcs. I mean who isn't? Sentinels aren't the only class being kited by a sorc. Everybody gets annoyed by them so why just include only Sentinels being properly kited by good sorcs. TBH my Sentinel and Marauder Facerolls sorc and sages especially bounty hunters. So what's the problem here? -__-

It's a L2P issue behind the keyboard only leveling as a sentinel played and specced correctly is a beast easy mode. I run into guys that play this class and faceroll most competition and it's not funny I hate to see what they do if given a buff the thought is scary.

I watched so many peeps hit guarded by the force and just steamroll the person in front of them 5 sec doesn't seem long but when you understand in PVP being invincible for 3 GCD can turn almost any fight in your favor.

Edited by LordbishopX

no-one has the tools to kite a good sentinel, notice is said GOOD. The problem is not with any class its with the people playing them.

When a sentinel gets near a sorc its dead, no amount of bubbling will fix that.

I have a shadow tank and a knight at the same level and I keep them both equal.

I have no problem with either job on leveling, they are pretty much the same to me. Shadow takes longer to kill but doesnt take as much dmg, sentinel kills much faster but takes more dmg but it washes compared to Shadow.

Only bonus I find with shadow is sneaking around enemies if you just want to complete a quest.

With sentinal I mow down mobs because I jump in and smash one stand with hilt and he dies, I go to send standard and use leg slash then use opportunity, he dead, then I focus on the strong or elite.

Not sure why people are having so many problems, i kill bosses easily with both.

Root - CC break

You don't seem to understand how those mechanics work:

First Knockback - Force Leap

Okay, you can't actually do this as you will be rooted when you land, but after 6 seconds of taking damage you are back on them.

Root - CC Break

Okay, you can now attack them, note that your resolve isn't anywhere near full.

Long Term Mez -

You say "Force Stasis" and I say, "No." If they Mez you, you don't get Force Stasis. You can interrupt them, but this only slows them down by 4 seconds. So you interrupt, then they pop their long heal. Then they long term mez you. You try to interrupt their Mez with Force Stasis? Fine, it won't work because they will CC break it, or they will pop their ability that makes them immune to Force powers before you can use it.

So they eventually Long Term Mez you... Congratulations... You aren't doing anything to them until they are fully healed up and they decide to break you out. They will back off to maximum range.

Then, once there, they will DoT you, and they will lightning blast you, and you will Force Leap on them, and they will knock you back, and you will be rooted from the knock back. They will lightning blast you, and this will snare you, as you walk toward them. They will bubble up, and you will attack in a futile gesture for a full rotation.

Meanwhile you will take full damage, and your 2% healing won't really help.

I've played a Sentinel, Combat spec and Watchmen spec, and I have played a Sorc. I know how they can kite and kill us.

You don't seem to understand how those mechanics work:

First Knockback - Force Leap

Okay, you can't actually do this as you will be rooted when you land, but after 6 seconds of taking damage you are back on them.

Root - CC Break

Okay, you can now attack them, note that your resolve isn't anywhere near full.

Long Term Mez -

You say "Force Stasis" and I say, "No." If they Mez you, you don't get Force Stasis. You can interrupt them, but this only slows them down by 4 seconds. So you interrupt, then they pop their long heal. Then they long term mez you. You try to interrupt their Mez with Force Stasis? Fine, it won't work because they will CC break it, or they will pop their ability that makes them immune to Force powers before you can use it.

So they eventually Long Term Mez you... Congratulations... You aren't doing anything to them until they are fully healed up and they decide to break you out. They will back off to maximum range.

Then, once there, they will DoT you, and they will lightning blast you, and you will Force Leap on them, and they will knock you back, and you will be rooted from the knock back. They will lightning blast you, and this will snare you, as you walk toward them. They will bubble up, and you will attack in a futile gesture for a full rotation.

Meanwhile you will take full damage, and your 2% healing won't really help.

I've played a Sentinel, Combat spec and Watchmen spec, and I have played a Sorc. I know how they can kite and kill us.

That knockback+root has a pretty big wind up making it pretty easy to interupt with any sort of CC effect like..much in the way that sweep is easily interferred with.

that aside though, You forgot to include some of the Sentinel's other tools:

1. Awe, functioning as either an interupt a CC or a Cooldown managment tool as needed

2. Transendance for closing and mitigating snares, with valours call to double it or call it on cue

3. Camo as an interupt and gap closer

4. rebuke as a damage damper during down times

5, Saber Ward for the same

6. Guarded by the Force for the same

7. That anyone fighting a sentinel 1 on 1 is at 50% move speed if melee range is ever established

8. Having any form of LOS lets you interupt any direct cast inductions

And thats not counting the spec specific tools:

Focus-

1. Zealous Leap as another gap closer

2. Speed boost after zealous leap for extra kite-protection

3. 60% snare at 10m range from Exhaustion

4. almost 100% uptime on transendance

Combat-

1. Naturally faster footspeed

2. 2 more roots, one ranged, for counter locking mobility and one melee to allow setups

3. Camo now also gets to function as a secondary breaker for snare/roots

4. Ability to still do solid damage when out ranged via Blade Storm

Watchman is admitedly the most vunerable to movment battles, but what they loose in that they make up for in a superior interupt game and the ability to deal damage out of range via DOT ticks.

1. Faster Trans, and faster centering generation for more uptime

2. extra pointblank interupt/root from leap losing minimum reach

I can honestly say, if factors like gear and buffs are reasonably balanced I dont lose to Sorcerers in that sort of 1 on 1 situation. I literally cant remember a time one has been able to out play the mobility and defensive moves of Sentinel in a realistically even footed fight. I know it sounds like *that guy* to say that, but its true. Its not uncommon for them CC and run away, and when they come back it ends the same way, but they dont "kite and kill" me..not one Sorcerer accross two servers that I played on as PVP Sentinel has ever nullified me in the way you painted. I suppose EVERY Sorcerer might be awful, but I honestly doubt it.

Sorcerers become exponentially more troublesome when along side another person (any class) their "+1" group value is emmense...but in just an imaginary one on one against a sentinel they arent SOOOO overwhelming.

Edited by thepilk

TBH: I'm not dissatisfied with the Sentinel's power level. What I've become fed up with is our lack of interesting abilities. I mean, look at the neat utility you see in other classeS:

* Pull your ally toward you.

* Push your enemy away.

* Pull your enemy toward you.

* Stealth

* AoE Knockbacks

* Jump to your Ally

* Guard (this ability is singlehandedly more useful than Stasis, Pacify and Transcendence combined)

After playing a Mercenary, Sith Juggernaut and a Vanguard, I don't *care* anymore that I can 1v1 people. Sentinel is just boring as **** to play and doesn't really have the tools to turn Warfronts around. You can do your part, but it's all just a grind. You don't get that rush of pleasure EVER that only comes from using one of your utility/cool powers in the perfect way, like knocking someone off a cliff in Ilum or grappling your allied ball carrier out of trouble.

Sentinels just don't have a single fun ability. They're a grind personified.

Edited by McVade

That knockback+root has a pretty big wind up making it pretty easy to interupt with any sort of CC effect like..much in the way that sweep is easily interferred with.

that aside though, You forgot to include some of the Sentinel's other tools:

1. Awe, functioning as either an interupt a CC or a Cooldown managment tool as needed

2. Transendance for closing and mitigating snares, with valours call to double it or call it on cue

3. Camo as an interupt and gap closer

4. rebuke as a damage damper during down times

5, Saber Ward for the same

6. Guarded by the Force for the same

7. That anyone fighting a sentinel 1 on 1 is at 50% move speed if melee range is ever established

8. Having any form of LOS lets you interupt any direct cast inductions

And thats not counting the spec specific tools:

Focus-

1. Zealous Leap as another gap closer

2. Speed boost after zealous leap for extra kite-protection

3. 60% snare at 10m range from Exhaustion

4. almost 100% uptime on transendance

Combat-

1. Naturally faster footspeed

2. 2 more roots, one ranged, for counter locking mobility and one melee to allow setups

3. Camo now also gets to function as a secondary breaker for snare/roots

4. Ability to still do solid damage when out ranged via Blade Storm

Watchman is admitedly the most vunerable to movment battles, but what they loose in that they make up for in a superior interupt game and the ability to deal damage out of range via DOT ticks.

1. Faster Trans, and faster centering generation for more uptime

2. extra pointblank interupt/root from leap losing minimum reach

I can honestly say, if factors like gear and buffs are reasonably balanced I dont lose to Sorcerers in that sort of 1 on 1 situation. I literally cant remember a time one has been able to out play the mobility and defensive moves of Sentinel in a realistically even footed fight. I know it sounds like *that guy* to say that, but its true. Its not uncommon for them CC and run away, and when they come back it ends the same way, but they dont "kite and kill" me..not one Sorcerer accross two servers that I played on as PVP Sentinel has ever nullified me in the way you painted. I suppose EVERY Sorcerer might be awful, but I honestly doubt it.

Sorcerers become exponentially more troublesome when along side another person (any class) their "+1" group value is emmense...but in just an imaginary one on one against a sentinel they arent SOOOO overwhelming.

This.

Also Force Kick.

TBH: I'm not dissatisfied with the Sentinel's power level. What I've become fed up with is our lack of interesting abilities. I mean, look at the neat utility you see in other classeS:

* Pull your ally toward you.

* Push your enemy away.

* Pull your enemy toward you.

* Stealth

* AoE Knockbacks

* Jump to your Ally

* Guard (this ability is singlehandedly more useful than Stasis, Pacify and Transcendence combined)

After playing a Mercenary, Sith Juggernaut and a Vanguard, I don't *care* anymore that I can 1v1 people. Sentinel is just boring as **** to play and doesn't really have the tools to turn Warfronts around. You can do your part, but it's all just a grind. You don't get that rush of pleasure EVER that only comes from using one of your utility/cool powers in the perfect way, like knocking someone off a cliff in Ilum or grappling your allied ball carrier out of trouble.

Sentinels just don't have a single fun ability. They're a grind personified.

ummm nope.......

i enjoy my main (sentinel) more than everything.......being able to take on 3-4 enemies solo is awesome, id argue its really the only class with enough defensive cd's and self heals to do this, some burst classes can burn down 2 of 3 before they die but they cant vanish and trans to a healing potion, they cant call on force, they dont have pacify

countless times on my sent i dominate entire nodes defended by 2+ solo

ummm nope.......

i enjoy my main (sentinel) more than everything.......being able to take on 3-4 enemies solo is awesome, id argue its really the only class with enough defensive cd's and self heals to do this, some burst classes can burn down 2 of 3 before they die but they cant vanish and trans to a healing potion, they cant call on force, they dont have pacify

countless times on my sent i dominate entire nodes defended by 2+ solo

Sentinels don't take out 2+ enemies solo unless said enemies are bad or undergeared. I've done it too, of course... but when MS is critting for 3.5k-4k, you know you're dealing with chumps and the results could be repeated with any other class with comparable gear.

Regardless, that wasn't the point of my post. In straight up PvP, we're good. In Huttball and other places where utility can swing the match in a big way, we're not nearly as useful due to the fact we don't really have any utility. We have offensive and defensive cooldowns. Not the same thing. We approach every situation the same way, all the time and have absolutely no fun abilities like the ones I mentioned.

Edited by McVade

Sentinels don't take out 2+ enemies solo unless said enemies are bad or undergeared. I've done it too, of course... but when MS is critting for 3.5k-4k, you know you're dealing with chumps and the results could be repeated with any other class with comparable gear.

Regardless, that wasn't the point of my post. In straight up PvP, we're good. In Huttball and other places where utility can swing the match in a big way, we're not nearly as useful due to the fact we don't really have any utility. We have offensive and defensive cooldowns. Not the same thing. We approach every situation the same way, all the time and have absolutely no fun abilities like the ones I mentioned.

Nothing is better in hutball than a focus spec'd sentinel. You can have transcendence running for 70% of the match or better. You can argue a sage with it's pull, or a guardian with it's two leaps is as good, but nothing is better for group utility in that warzone.

Nothing is better in hutball than a focus spec'd sentinel. You can have transcendence running for 70% of the match or better. You can argue a sage with it's pull, or a guardian with it's two leaps is as good, but nothing is better for group utility in that warzone.

All I know is when I confront a Lolsmash/sweep Warrior/Knight as Watchman, he's going to have a nice, fun trip back to the spawn area... so you pay a high price for this utility. Given that it doesn't make you immune to snares and even a Transcended, snared Sentinel is easily caught up to, I definitely disagree with your assertion that there's "nothing better".

Edited by McVade

I love my Sentinel alt. I've complained about it during levelling, but it's fun and challenging.

Though, if you get stuck with a terrible group, it can get extremely painful, Watchman spec or not.

That, and facing multiple cover classes can hurt because your mobility is severely stunted without being able to Force Leap. Hell, my main is a Sniper and I still think you should be able to force leap someone in cover! We Snipers already get enough tools to deal with squishies as it is. I try to tell folks not to ignore Snipers/Gunslingers just because they're in cover, but bad groups will never listen.

Sentinel is an interesting class - it's abilities are greatly multiplied when supported by others, and can be painfully stunted with poor backup. I know this is true of any class, but the magnitude either way seems greater with the Sentinel. With even just a bit of off-healing, a Sentinel can rule the battleground.

I love my Sentinel alt. I've complained about it during levelling, but it's fun and challenging.

Though, if you get stuck with a terrible group, it can get extremely painful, Watchman spec or not.

That, and facing multiple cover classes can hurt because your mobility is severely stunted without being able to Force Leap. Hell, my main is a Sniper and I still think you should be able to force leap someone in cover! We Snipers already get enough tools to deal with squishies as it is. I try to tell folks not to ignore Snipers/Gunslingers just because they're in cover, but bad groups will never listen.

Sentinel is an interesting class - it's abilities are greatly multiplied when supported by others, and can be painfully stunted with poor backup. I know this is true of any class, but the magnitude either way seems greater with the Sentinel. With even just a bit of off-healing, a Sentinel can rule the battleground.

This. Right on point.

What DO you have?

Instead of focusing on the DON'T, focus on the DO.

Force Exhaustion - slow with a DOT and an explode at the end of it.

Precision Slash - 100% armor penetration for 6 seconds.

Yah, I do love playing 0/21/31 on my Sentinel as well, great spec that.

Did you mean to post this in my thread? Did you even read it/understand it?

I read and understand your thread, and all i see is useless QQ. Sentinels are fine. It takes half of a brain to play one. It might be wise to track down the wizard of oz and ask for a brain before coming to the forums crying that sentinels have been pissed on. You might get better support on the other quest.

I read both and I agree with TrashMinky. Sentinel specced to Watchman is plain nasty with its Force Leap with no minimum, high DOT abilities and constant Interrupts that can be shortened in CD. Hit them with hard with DOT abilities and even if they knock you back you are still damaging them while you are getting back in range. Plus its hard for them to use any channeling abilities with constant Interrupts.

It's my favorite spec of the game, anything that gives me DOTs is good in my book, because if some idiot tries to gank me I can melt his FACE off! =p

Not to mention that the whole "levelling sucks" argument can be pretty much countered by saying that against single targets (IE: ALL storyline bosses) you are pretty much godlike.

Burning is what Watchman spec does. Like, nearly every attack. So, more or less, they will pop (for example) an overload saber followed by a cauterize to initiate burn on a target which will cause DoT, and begin healing the Sentinel, and then instantly jam Force Stasis to stun the target (which, since it is channeled, effectively stuns the Sentinel, which is why Combat can't capitalize on it) which deals (moderate to low) damage to the target (Around 500 damage per tick, for three ticks) on top of the burn damage.

Force Stasis was seemingly built with Watchman in mind.

Jedi Guardians can, actually, turn Stasis into a true Stun that allows them to move and attack while Stasis is in use.

I'd love to be able to do that on a Sentinel.

Agreed!