Is anyone else tired of Bioware pissing on Sentinels?

Araxus

Not only have I have offered improvements but I have painted by no means an untrue picture. I will not recommend or "advance" this class so long as it has the glaring problems it has.

The improvements we need are as follows:

1. A push/pull mechanic.

2. A stun that doesn't stun us that lasts for a minimum of 4 seconds. Even if it is on a long cool down of 1 minute or more.

3. An (at least) 10 second single target mez that has a long cool down.

4. Improve the speed boost from defensive forms to at least 21% (7% per rank) so that it can overcome some of the snares as every other speed ability can overcome our snare.

5. Fix resolve to break any CC one is under when it turns "white" to compensate have the CC not trigger resolve gain until the CC is broken or concluded.

I am sorry K_Oss but you are acting like an apologist. BioWare has made serious design errors with this class and even they admit that the class has quality of life issues. Our class was shoddily thrown together when compared to classes like Agents, Bounty Hunters, Troopers, and Smugglers.

First off, I appreciate the constructive post! That's the kind of post I feel will best represent the quality of players that are championing the Sentinel cause. I think that says alot about you as a player since you're definitely one of the vocal sentinels. While I don't agree with all suggestions given some of the tools we already have I do like others and think they would be sweet (I'm looking at you "Push/pull" mechanic)!! Since you are a vocal supporter i think you have a big influence on the tone of these forums and can do alot for the good of the class!

I wouldn't say I'm so much defending BW as trying to be the most efficient in improving our class and I think that constructive posts (such as yours here) along with the data that BW collects through there own game metrics as well as these forums will result in the best efficiency.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I appreciate the constructive post! That's the kind of post I feel will best represent the quality of players that are championing the Sentinel cause. I think that says alot about you as a player since you're definitely one of the vocal sentinels. While I don't agree with all suggestions given some of the tools we already have I do like others and think they would be sweet (I'm looking at you "Push/pull" mechanic)!! Since you are a vocal supporter i think you have a big influence on the tone of these forums and can do alot for the good of the class!

I wouldn't say I'm so much defending BW as trying to be the most efficient in improving our class and I think that constructive posts (such as yours here) along with the data that BW collects through there own game metrics as well as these forums will result in the best efficiency.

If our class is going to be fixed we need a dev to come here, talk to us, and actually try playing a Sentinel that isn't Watchman specced.

Watchman is a great spec, it has some healing, it has burns that synergize with Force Stasis and such.

Combat? Combat is poorly designed.

It is good in PVE but in PVP it is complete and utter bantha dung because of a lack of tools. Literally I just fought a smuggler, who let me beat on him for over a minute, he just kept healing himself up and /dance

Was I using interrupts? Yes.

Did they matter? No.

Did I have trauma on him? Yes.

Did it matter? No.

Did I Force Stasis him? Yes.

Did it matter? No.

Did I apply cauterize (and no I can't overcharge saber as I am Combat specced) to him? Yes.

Did it matter? No.

There were at least 5 times in that fight that, if I had a decent 4 second stun, I could have beaten him by simply stunning him then frontloading out one of the 7k strings. (Which takes 6 seconds to do.)

Can't every healer dispel 2 debuffs every 4.5s?

Burning is what Watchman spec does. Like, nearly every attack. So, more or less, they will pop (for example) an overload saber followed by a cauterize to initiate burn on a target which will cause DoT, and begin healing the Sentinel, and then instantly jam Force Stasis to stun the target (which, since it is channeled, effectively stuns the Sentinel, which is why Combat can't capitalize on it) which deals (moderate to low) damage to the target (Around 500 damage per tick, for three ticks) on top of the burn damage.

Force Stasis was seemingly built with Watchman in mind.

Jedi Guardians can, actually, turn Stasis into a true Stun that allows them to move and attack while Stasis is in use.

I'd love to be able to do that on a Sentinel.

I agree. ProfessorWalsh must be part of a very small amount of Sents/Maras who have issues with healers. Watchman is phenomenal against healers with both of your points...a 6 sec cd on kick and a no range FL. I don't comprehend how Statis can be viewed negatively as an interrupt for healers...it does decent damage and it's an interrupt. As Focus my Stasis is ridiculous, not just because of it's base damage and interrupt, but because of what happens when I'm done with it...ZL then a nice FS. I have had 0 trouble with a healer of any class and any level.

The game changer of being a Sent is we need to use our brains more actively. If you can't do this another class is better suited for you. Don't ruin this class for everyone else who enjoys it.

Your posts crack me up. You must play on some backwater server where the pvp isn't very competitive.

The only way sents are doing 300k+ in a warzone, is if the other team is udner geared and you have a healer. Otherwise be happy if you get 150-200K.

I'm in full Champ and if I'm fighting a healer in full champ, he's not dying regardless of what rotation you use.

Besides, this is all happeneing in warzones. The chances of every single cooldown you mentioned being available and finding a healer 1 on 1 are slim to none. Someone is going to get mad you are messing with their heals and their are going to knock you away/stun/melt your face.

The problem with our class is lack of utility. If Bioware gives us what every other class has, then things will be better. Push/pull, and a real stun, not something thats channeled.

Your posts crack me up. You must play on some backwater server where the pvp isn't very competitive.

The only way sents are doing 300k+ in a warzone, is if the other team is udner geared and you have a healer. Otherwise be happy if you get 150-200K.

I'm in full Champ and if I'm fighting a healer in full champ, he's not dying regardless of what rotation you use.

Besides, this is all happeneing in warzones. The chances of every single cooldown you mentioned being available and finding a healer 1 on 1 are slim to none. Someone is going to get mad you are messing with their heals and their are going to knock you away/stun/melt your face.

The problem with our class is lack of utility. If Bioware gives us what every other class has, then things will be better. Push/pull, and a real stun, not something thats channeled.

I'm glad I can make you laugh :) Not sure about your comment about sents doing 300k+ in a warzone because I agree with you on that point. I play on Iron Citadel. It's a high population server (which the Imps crashed when patch 1.1 came out) so I'm guessing it's competitive.

You are just another QQer that doesn't know how to play the class. You prove this by complaining about healers.

I'm glad I can make you laugh :) Not sure about your comment about sents doing 300k+ in a warzone because I agree with you on that point. I play on Iron Citadel. It's a high population server (which the Imps crashed when patch 1.1 came out) so I'm guessing it's competitive.

You are just another QQer that doesn't know how to play the class. You prove this by complaining about healers.

Yea guy, 17 days played on my Sent, valor rank 58, and I have nfc how to play the class.

Or maybe I have played it too much, trying all 3 trees multiple times. Maybe I have played other classes as well, so I have a direct comparison as to where our strong and weak points are.

So keep on telling people they are qq'ing all you want, if thats what you have to do to feel etough.

I'm just simply looking for the smallest amount of class balance.

Did you read and not comprehend that those are Jedi Sentinel skills at the top, and Jedi Knight skills at the bottom?

You have several gap closers, slows, stuns, and damage mitigation. I don't see what the problem is really.

99% of what you listed needs focus, you imp sorc. sentinels dont start with focus, they need to build it up durng combat by HITTING enemies, and it diminishes as you DONT hit things.

not everyone has unlimited resources like sorcs.

So keep on telling people they are qq'ing all you want, if thats what you have to do to feel etough.

Trust me I am not saying anything to make me look tough. That being said, you and the others whining like little girls doesn't make you seem very tough.

Trust me I am not saying anything to make me look tough. That being said, you and the others whining like little girls doesn't make you seem very tough.

So making a general observation is qq'ing now huh....ok chief.

Yea guy, 17 days played on my Sent, valor rank 58, and I have nfc how to play the class.

Or maybe I have played it too much, trying all 3 trees multiple times. Maybe I have played other classes as well, so I have a direct comparison as to where our strong and weak points are.

I'm just simply looking for the smallest amount of class balance.

I solo anything on sentinel.

6second interupt and -20% healing debuff **** healers, oh do they knock you away and start to heal, you interupt with charge then again straight away with kick.

Sentinel is totally fine.

I have a 44 operative, 45 socerer and 50 marauder, and I can say that the mara\sentinel most ridiculous and useless classes in this game.

That's merely because you lack the skill to play a sent/marauder well, not because they are useless...fyi main is a sent and has been a steep learning curve but is very rewarding once you learn the class.

Seen as there are, what appears to be, a large number of Sentinel players who are struggling; in particular those with the Combat tree, may I be so bold as to create a forum thread offering a guide to aid these players as opposed to being rather unhelpful by just stating "you're doing it wrong".

I don't play a Sentinel, but several guild members do. I've noticed that the Watchman tree seems to perform reasonably well where as the Combat tree tends to fair far less favourably. My knowledge of the Sentinel is lacking, however, I'd love to be able to point my members in the direction of this forum for help.

I view all the class forums just from the stand point of reinforcing my knowledge and I've noticed that other class forums seem alot quicker to rally round and assist new players.

I realise I won't win any contests for this post but I'd recommend members of this forum sit back and take a breath. MMO's are meant to be largely about community and it does no damage to offer to lend some insight and wisdom as opposed to making an unhelpful and unwelcoming response along the line of "learn to play" or other similar comments.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there are new people entering the MMO genre all the time as well as PC Gaming. When a big power house of a franchise comes along like Star Wars it will draw in alot of new people who are picking up an MMO or even a PC Game for the first time.

My 2 pence.

Regards,

Kelinor

The most constructive post in the thread thank you. As a sentinel, combat spec at that, I have had a rough time learning but it can be a very good spec just alot more skills and cds to pay attention to I have tried watchman as well which also a great spec.

It's not the fact that Sentinels can't take down healers, it's just the fact that it takes marginally too long. They have loads of escapes, stuns and roots to be able to simply spam their healing moves to delay their death by some time. One mistake in the sentinel rotation puts you almost back at square one, while plenty of bad sorcerers can take a long while to go down.

Tbh since I got some expertise gear I'm not as concerned as I was about sentinel DPS, I'm more concerned about the prevalence of CC in every other class. Every other class has some sort of displacement move and some sort of hard CC, we only really have one hard CC and it's one of the worst in the game (can be interrupted and requires us to do nothing during the move). I'd love if we had some sort of reduced CC move, even if it only reduced incoming CC duration by 20% for 5 seconds or something. It's terribly annoying being the focus of all CC just because you have two shiny lightsabers.

It's not the fact that Sentinels can't take down healers, it's just the fact that it takes marginally too long. They have loads of escapes, stuns and roots to be able to simply spam their healing moves to delay their death by some time. One mistake in the sentinel rotation puts you almost back at square one, while plenty of bad sorcerers can take a long while to go down.

Tbh since I got some expertise gear I'm not as concerned as I was about sentinel DPS, I'm more concerned about the prevalence of CC in every other class. Every other class has some sort of displacement move and some sort of hard CC, we only really have one hard CC and it's one of the worst in the game (can be interrupted and requires us to do nothing during the move). I'd love if we had some sort of reduced CC move, even if it only reduced incoming CC duration by 20% for 5 seconds or something. It's terribly annoying being the focus of all CC just because you have two shiny lightsabers.

Couldn't agree more. I love the epeen guys who come in this thread and say Sent's are fine, and don't need to do more damage. I never once said we need to do more damage, its our cc and displacement capability (none). Other classes have those and do damage, we do damage. Balanced? I think not.

Let's think about this for a second (and before anyone tells me to **** because I haven't played the class, I'm struggling with a sentinel in the MID-TEENS).

Sentinel = melee DPS role.

Maybe, acknowledged QoL issues aside, Bioware actually designed the game to be...I dunno, challenging? Even hard?

Anyway, melee DPS role doesn't exactly scream crowd control to me. Maybe they need more/better ways to shake off BEING controlled, but "we need stuns/holds/more interrupts/etc." screams, to me, "give ALL the classes ALL THE THINGS! All for the sake of game balance!"

No thanks.

I will admit to being unable to bypass one silver PvE NPC in a class quest because it hits like a truck and I'm bad at the class. That's not "give me a stun" or "I need a heal." It's a personal L2P comment.

But it still seems to me, given what I've read AND acknowledging that you can't have all the talents in all the trees, that sentinels DO get a (small? maybe) number of ways to enhance their own survivability. CDs aside, that makes perfect sense to me, given that their role is damage, not damage and tank.

But maybe I'm just too willing to think that Bioware knows what they're doing.

So, now are we not only useless in Huttball, but we are also useless on Ilum (thanks!). So what is our role on Ilum when its zerg vs zerg? Aoe fodder?

We(Marauders included), are the only class without a pull or knockback, so while we have to be the victim of all sorts of uncontrolled character movement, we cannot do this to other people. Fun.

Our endgame pvp armor looks horrid, and even then, we share it with another class (guardians). Even Juggs and Maras have different armor.

Leveling up sucked, diddn't get our healing companion till the late 30s.

The only way we can truly fulfill our role of face metlers is if we have a pocket healer, and even then, any class can rack up high dps numbers if they have a premade.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

What a load of useless whine.