Blaster Rifles for Bounty Hunters

LordExozone

Galaxies had it down, I know this isn't galaxies and people have been chewing me our for comparing but I'm thinking the galaxies crew and bioware should merge to perfect the game. Example, inn galaxies the commando class could use rifles, blasters, heavy weapons, but the quick slots wouldn't work for all of them, I'd say maybe 8 slots could be used while holding a rifle and another 5 could be used for heavy weapons, none could be used while holding a blaster. But we would have a rifle equipped and throw all our grenades/ powershots etc but have the heavy weapon quick slotted do we could pull it out in the middle of a fight and burn them with our flamethrowers.

I agree it would look weird useing a flamethrower while holding a rifle but they could make short rifles only able to be used by bh and smugglers. And its proven rifles can be used one handed as you see the troopers and IA 's running around in circles or away from you trying to get you to miss them. They need to fix that as well :p

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

No, this guy:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett

Considering topics about blaster rifles for bountyhunters/powertechs keep popping up since pretty much beta, it's obviously something a significant amount of people want. Customisability is important in MMO's, and being restricted to only one weapon just doesn't make any sense, especially since several other classes do get a pick between different weapons. (example: juggernaut/guardian can wield either a vibrosword or a lightsaber)

It's not just powertechs though, I imagine there are a lot of jedi guardians who would love to use a saberstaff, or assassins who would love to use a single lightsaber without being locked out of abilities.

The argument that one needs to be able to visually identify classes is moot too since the implementation of adaptive cartel armor sets and the class symbols you can now enable above characters. Why weapon options haven't become a legacy unlock yet is beyond me.

I'm totally for Bounty Hunters being able to use / hold rifles and always think back to the very first time we ever saw bounty hunters in Star Wars when Vader rallied some together to help find Solo in The Empire Strikes Back. Bossk, IG88, Boba Fett, Zuckus, Dengar, 4 Lom - They all had rifles.

But I can also see the headache for developers in doing this; all the skills trees, descriptions, icons, dialog etc would need to be changed to allow this, and that would take a lot of time.

So here's hoping... but cant see it happening :((

I'm of two minds about this.

First and foremost, class weapons in MMOs are usually just for aesthetics. They're class-defining. For instance, you always associate warriors with swords, rangers with bows, and mages with staves. I think it's more about identification and holding with lore and archetypes than anything else. Bounty Hunters, by definition, are adaptable and should be able to use a variety of weapons. And when most of us think of a Star Wars BH, we think of Boba Fett. Who, for the record, used a CARBINE (which is shorter than a rifle).

However....

Mercs dual-wield, and obviously they can't do that with rifles. Not to mention that most BH class abilities revolve around using wrist gauntlet weapons, which would be awkward with a 2-handed weapon like a rifle. Vanguards use rifles because it's more in line with what a soldier would use than a pistol.

No, I think pistols are just fine for BH. I like using my flamethrower and wrist rockets...it makes the class feel like a walking armory instead of being restricted to just a single weapon.

I'm of two minds about this.

First and foremost, class weapons in MMOs are usually just for aesthetics. They're class-defining. For instance, you always associate warriors with swords, rangers with bows, and mages with staves. I think it's more about identification and holding with lore and archetypes than anything else. Bounty Hunters, by definition, are adaptable and should be able to use a variety of weapons. And when most of us think of a Star Wars BH, we think of Boba Fett. Who, for the record, used a CARBINE (which is shorter than a rifle).

However....

Mercs dual-wield, and obviously they can't do that with rifles. Not to mention that most BH class abilities revolve around using wrist gauntlet weapons, which would be awkward with a 2-handed weapon like a rifle. Vanguards use rifles because it's more in line with what a soldier would use than a pistol.

No, I think pistols are just fine for BH. I like using my flamethrower and wrist rockets...it makes the class feel like a walking armory instead of being restricted to just a single weapon.

This. The Vanguard's attack are mainly weapon based, and if they are not, they're quick like Gut, and don't involve the weapon. Powertech is never using the weapon, so having a rifle would just be extra weight in the other hand. As much as I love stockstrike, it just wouldn't work. And, right, a soldier wouldn't use a pistol. They're equipped with the Republic's best equipment. They should be heavily armed. Powertechs spend their creds for tech, not blasters. Still would be really fun to have a rifle.

Make the same gadget that fires our rail shot do unload and let us use swg's good old blaster fist or vibra knuckle, would be awesome rocket punching someone with that! We have fire....makes me happy, but miss unarmed combat, imagine being able to use punches and kicks :) But fire is good.....i like fire!

I would really like more customization for weapon type. In fact, I would even pay CC for the option. Sadly, this is the only way to get EA to implement cosmetic/customization enhancements.

I also find the argument of complicating loot drops to be a non-issue with the proliferation of moddable weapons. There are at least 3-4 unique weapons available on CM/Rep vendors which do not currently drop from bosses.

Edited by G-Seven

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see as it would hurt to give us the option. Personally I love the pistol, and would never give it up. Much of the reason I rolled a PT was to get that heavy armored cowboy feeling with a single trusty blaster at my side. In fact, I rolled PT instead of Merc specifically because I liked the look of one pistol over two. Something about it just feels tough.

A Bounty Hunter's armor is a complex mechanism, providing plating and integrated weaponry where needed. To me, a single pistol, holstered at the hip fits this better than a clunky rifle obstructing my armor's agility and deployable tech.

Maybe the movies show otherwise, but I think a pistol is the best fit. It rounds out the motif of small missile launchers and wrist-mounted weaponry we're already fitted with. And as a side note, I could be wrong, but don't the bounty guys in the bazaar sell a one-handed carbine that counts as a pistol? I swear I saw on there, and it's significantly bigger than other pistols.

I don't see as it would hurt to give us the option. Personally I love the pistol, and would never give it up. Much of the reason I rolled a PT was to get that heavy armored cowboy feeling with a single trusty blaster at my side. In fact, I rolled PT instead of Merc specifically because I liked the look of one pistol over two. Something about it just feels tough.

A Bounty Hunter's armor is a complex mechanism, providing plating and integrated weaponry where needed. To me, a single pistol, holstered at the hip fits this better than a clunky rifle obstructing my armor's agility and deployable tech.

Maybe the movies show otherwise, but I think a pistol is the best fit. It rounds out the motif of small missile launchers and wrist-mounted weaponry we're already fitted with. And as a side note, I could be wrong, but don't the bounty guys in the bazaar sell a one-handed carbine that counts as a pistol? I swear I saw on there, and it's significantly bigger than other pistols.

This... we already have a wrist rocket, a pistol and a shoulder cannon. We're the most ****** already!

However I think it's pretty stupid in many games that every class can't have any weapon in the game in his hands, we are people and capable of swinging a lightsaber, blade, or toaster over if we wanted to. We should be able to equip a lightsaber, but it shouldn't do the damage it does in the hands of a Jedi, we should be able to shoot a rifle if we wanted to but it wouldnt be as accurate as a snipers, and we should be able to swing a blade but not hit as hard as Vanguard.

All classes should also be able to use OUR weapons, just not do as much damage. It just doesn't make sense we can't even "hold" a rifle or sword, lol.

Z

Die thread, die!

/eyestab

LOL Im with you. Have been reading this argument in one way or the other for along time. In SWG all the BH's wanted pistols. Here we cant use Rifles :eek: In SWG we did get pistols eventually so maybe in time.

• 1 year later...

Powertechs only visually use the mainhand weapon for one ability - rapid shots. Having a rifle wouldn't change the fact that they very rarely use the weapon that they're holding in their hand(s).

Edit: I forgot that tanks also have another skill that uses the blaster. That's still only two. The vast majority of a PT's attacks come the gadgets on their armor, which is why they gave them a pistol. They want you to feel like your armor is your weapon as a PT.

Edited by Col_Wilson

did u see this one ? :)

• 1 month later...