• Extensible UI
  • Epic quests
  • Taxis/Zeppelins
  • Spirit healers
  • Soulbound items
  • Talent trees
  • NPC tethers
  • etc.

You really can't expect a game that came out five years later to have them all at launch.

EDIT: 1999 > 2004 is five years. HINT: WoW. It had more modern features than EQ2 which launched *alongside it,, then continued to innovate. Nobody made excuses for WoW being a "brand new MMO, these things take time etc. etc."

Edited by twogirlsoneup

In an article James Ohlen said they improved the genre. I just don't see how Swtor improved anything, except with voiceovers and "moral" choice selections.

Keep in mind, I"m paraphrasing here and can't find the link anymore.

Edit: AoC, EQ2, LotRO, Warhammer, Aion, Rift, and even F2P games have improved the genre more than swtor ever did.

Edited by wutru

• Instanced Dungeons
  • Quest logs
  • Seamless Zones
  • In game maps
  • Mounts
  • Extensible UI
  • Epic quests
  • Taxis/Zeppelins
  • Spirit healers
  • Soulbound items
  • Talent trees
  • NPC tethers
  • etc.

You really can't expect a game that came out five years later to have them all at launch.

Anarchy Online had all of that in 2001, except maybe for "spirit healers" whatever the hell those are. So, um, no.

lol , we dont caaaaare

and also i dont know what your standard are but my standards accualy expect for game to evolve and be better larger more refined and have all the tools needed to be able to compete with other games from what 10 years back ... the word compete shouldnt even be mensioned it should be liek this in general realy , but sadly its not they createe a big hype every gets excited but are disapointed again ... and .. again .. and .. again .....and ...... again

Edited by Genesizs

Everquest was 14 years ago.

And yes, we can.

3D controllers were separate cards back then, you had to hook them into your video card because they needed to be put in another PCI slot.

Different times man. Not a good comparrison.

This is like when saturns came out .. buying it and going "What do you mean it has an 8-Track tape! My Honda had a CD-player!"

In an article James Ohlen said they improved the genre. I just don't see how Swtor improved anything, except with voiceovers and "moral" choice selections.

Edit: AoC, EQ2, LotRO, Warhammer, Aion, Rift, and even F2P games have improved the genre more than swtor ever did.

Well if there's an exception then it's an improvement according to your own context.

You cannot sit down and say they haven't then yet mention some things, but decide not to add it to the list.

• Instanced Dungeons
  • Quest logs
  • Seamless Zones
  • In game maps
  • Mounts
  • Extensible UI
  • Epic quests
  • Taxis/Zeppelins
  • Spirit healers
  • Soulbound items
  • Talent trees
  • NPC tethers
  • etc.

...sarcasm?

Well if there's an exception then it's an improvement according to your own context.

You cannot sit down and say they haven't then yet mention some things, but decide not to add it to the list.

If you want to be technical, i'll change it to "most things" from "anything". My statement still stands true.

The point the OP, and many others are tryign to make is that no single MMO launched with all the features that made it a complete game.

They come over time - yes, some launch with more than others, and some launch with different ones. The bottom line is that what you get at launch is not an indication of what will be, what can be and what probobly will be.

ALL mmo's grow into their own (provided the devs pay attention to it and nurture it attentivly).

So , whether it is 1999, or 2012 - the basic premise still applies.

No MMO launches feature rich and no mmo launches complete - they become that way. Could SWTOR have had MORE at launch yes - but that is not an indication that it will not or cannot.

As always, have to give them 3-6 months to see what they do and how they exhibit growth.

The point the OP, and many others are tryign to make is that no single MMO launched with all the features that made it a complete game.

No the point is that WoW launched with all of those and didn't point fingers at a year-old launch of its competitor to excuse its lack of features.

They come over time - yes, some launch with more than others, and some launch with different ones. The bottom line is that what you get at launch is not an indication of what will be, what can be and what probobly will be.

ALL mmo's grow into their own (provided the devs pay attention to it and nurture it attentivly).

So , whether it is 1999, or 2012 - the basic premise still applies.

No MMO launches feature rich and no mmo launches complete - they become that way. Could SWTOR have had MORE at launch yes - but that is not an indication that it will not or cannot.

As always, have to give them 3-6 months to see what they do and how they exhibit growth.

lol ever quest was a complete game :s ...

I'm almost positive that's not true btw, Asheron's Call 2 was the first game with instancing.

No, I played AC2 at release too. AO was worse. But I did come up with a new rule to judge perspective MMOs after AC2, if it doesn't have functioning doors, then it's probably a bad game. I actually thought about this rule when applied to SWTOR too :D

No the point is that WoW launched with all of those and didn't point fingers at a year-old launch of its competitor to excuse its lack of features.

What wow launched with , and what it has now - that everyone usually compares with are completely different.

SWTOR improved the genre by proving than an MMO can successfully have good single-player-driven content, and have a good, compelling story that pulls the player in. It also furthered the genre by making the PC an actual character that can have massive ranges of personality, while being supported by the game.

Most of it's improvements are in the story and character department, which is Bioware's specialty, and has been for a while.

It's truly amazing when I feel like I'm watching a massive, awesome movie, while playing an MMO.

But AO didn't have a functioning game. It's still at the top of my worst release list for MMOs.

Might have been a bad release, but it was quickly turned into the deepest game you'll find to this day. Most of the people slobbering all over ToR's knob would have an aneurism the first time they had to pull out a calculator to twink into higher level items. Shame Funcom let it waste away, but they're doing the same with AoC now that TSW is coming, so it's not surprising.

I'm almost positive that's not true btw, Asheron's Call 2 was the first game with instancing.

False. The Realm Online was the technical first, Anarchy Online was the first with instancing as it's known today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game#Instance_dungeons

Instance dungeons

Instance dungeons, sometimes shortened to "instances", are game areas that are "copied" for individual players or groups, which keeps those in the instance separated from the rest of the game world. This reduces competition, while also reducing the amount of data that needs to be sent to and from the server, reducing lag. The Realm Online was the first MMORPG to begin to use a rudimentary form of this technique and Anarchy Online would develop it further, using instances as a key element of gameplay. Since then, instancing has become increasingly common. The "raids", as mentioned above, often involve instance dungeons. Examples of games which feature instances are World of Warcraft, Everquest2, Aion, Guild Wars, RuneScape', "Star Trek Online", and DC Universe Online.

Edited by Zorvan

I'm sorry I must have missed it. But where did Bioware or EA, compare it's features to a year-old release when trying to excuse itself for not having every feature that WOW has?

And how long ago did everquest come out?

A better question would be how long was it in development.

Yes, MMO's have come a long way, but nearly everything since the big bang for MMO's has been companies taking what was before it, doing as much as possible before they run out of money and then releasing.

So what do they do? They decide on their path. What they want to be unique, and go with it. Get as much in as possible. And then, after launch, you put in everything else.

Yea, it's been 12+ years since Everquest, and many games in betweeen, but that doesn't mean that you get everything from that time period in a game.

This hasn't changed. Just gamers expectations because of the polish of those games that have had time to polish their product.

WoW had two raids when it released, and had enough bugs to make an ant-hill blush.

It took WoW months to make a third raid.

It took TOR ONE month to add it's first non-release raid.

Check the scoreboard.