Dealbreaker: STOP Calling me "Sir"!!!

CiIantro

I mean this game is built on one foundation. Immersion. Storyline. Dialogue. Choices.

Yet if I choose to play a female character I have to live through people calling me "Sir" my entire career. I mean look there are a lot of flaws in the game that I see as forgiveable, but this one is so OBVIOUSLY broken that it makes a mockery of the system Bioware has put in place.

I want to be addressed as a female if I play a female character.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is standard military protocol to address all officers, regardless of gender, as "Sir".

But they clearly didn't know what they were doing. I have seen instances of Sgts saluting one another, and calling the other one sir.

I mean this game is built on one foundation. Immersion. Storyline. Dialogue. Choices.

Yet if I choose to play a female character I have to live through people calling me "Sir" my entire career. I mean look there are a lot of flaws in the game that I see as forgiveable, but this one is so OBVIOUSLY broken that it makes a mockery of the system Bioware has put in place.

/facepalm

The military is a foreign concept to you huh?

Whilst sir is the common term for both in SW, it is a bit of an annoyance coming from a real world common man's social perspective :p. Still, I can front-flip etc. as a guy with rolls of fat on his neck, so being called Sir doesn't really affect the immersion that much. ^.^ Edited by Hahkil

Your ignorance of both military protocol and Star Wars convention does not equal brokenness. You're going to have to find something else to complain about.

I believe the Sir in this case is more of a professional title then a gender title. Same thing with jedi's being called Master even if female. Previously everyone in military was called Sir when addressed to (hence the YES sir..ma'am..sir jokes). I believe starwars was also written during this time period. When the military updated the game world did not. I think BW is very aware of gender issues though if you look at thier titles like Flyboy/flygirl and such. The Master/sir system is just part of the old flare from the days of the first star wars.

If you are a military character Sir is still a normal designation, of least normal for SCI FI STAR WARS.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

In the military, it's not uncommon to call a female officer "Sir" in some branches.

Yes, Ma'am is more common. But, whatever.

They did it to save money and time on voice acting, and it's really not as out of place as you may initially think.

Hell, in some services NCOs are addressed as "Mister". I think that's pretty crazy, myself, as a former Marine.

In the military, it's not uncommon to call a female officer "Sir" in some branches.

Yes, Ma'am is more common. But, whatever.

They did it to save money and time on voice acting, and it's really not as out of place as you may initially think.

Hell, in some services NCOs are addressed as "Mister". I think that's pretty crazy, myself, as a former Marine.

I'm a former Marine as well. I don't know of any branch our military that refers to female officers as "Sir."

'Sir' is the title given to knights in feudal times. Since women were not allowed to fight, there were no female knights to be called sir.

Since Star Wars has general gender equality, there would be women who fought, and earned the name 'Sir', so the name would be gender-neutral, and would refer to a person that fought.

In fact, I think women in the military in real life MIGHT be called 'Sir' about as often as 'Ma'am', but I'm not sure.