The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BRING BACK STAR WARS GALAXIES!!! (Pre-CU)

Lookinoji

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question.

Answer: NGE. New Gaming Experience. This, IMO, singlehandedly ruined SWG. When Jedi became a starter class instead of a Master class, that's when the game died for me. Galaxies was set in a time when the Jedi were "all but extinct".

So then why were players able to become Jedi then? Like at all. See...doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

So then why were players able to become Jedi then? Like at all. See...doesn't really make a lot of sense.

They did. Pre-NGE, you didn't start out as a Jedi. You were whatever your profession was and not all of them presented the possibility of becoming a Jedi. It was a master class, so you had to earn it, and it took a LONG time to get there, which helped cut down on the sheer number of Jedi running around.....and they were a overpowered class as well.

Edited by DarknessInLight

They did. Pre-NGE, you didn't start out as a Jedi. You were whatever your profession was and not all of them presented the possibility of becoming a Jedi. It was a master class, so you had to earn it, and it took a LONG time to get there, which helped cut down on the sheer number of Jedi running around.....and they were a overpowered class as well.

Yes they didn't start out as a Jedi, but point being is that they could still become one, just because it took time doesn't mean that a player still couldn't be a Jedi. Same with NGE, players could play another class and not be a Jedi, the only difference was that with NGE you could start out as a Jedi right out the gate.

So I hardly think it was the biggest reason for the downfall, yes for you it did. But for others I wouldn't imagine so.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I actually prefer a story based game, even if it requires a less open world to make it financially feasible. That being said, there are swg servers up. Yes, they're pretty empty, but if everyone who talks about swg started playing and supported the development process, I don't suppose they would be.

Good question.

Answer: NGE. New Gaming Experience. This, IMO, singlehandedly ruined SWG. When Jedi became a starter class instead of a Master class, that's when the game died for me. Galaxies was set in a time when the Jedi were "all but extinct".

While NGE might have been a killer for you, the game was losing massive amounts of subscriptions. Roughly 1/6th of the total in one 3 month cycle, which prompted the game devs to try to do something to keep the game from dying. NGE wasn't the cure they had hoped it would have been....

If it was so good why did it die?

Well, the NGE certainly didn't help, but ultimately I thought it was LucasArts' decision to close the game not wanting it and SWTOR to compete. It only shut down a few days before TOR went live. Not all MMOs shut down because they were bad. Many of them die because the people in the suits up top have a severe case of Cranial-Rectal Inversion Syndrome (see: Earth and Beyond, City of Heroes, and even SWG).

I found myself drifting away from SWG in that last year, but I wish I'd come back right before shutdown. Reading some of the updates they made, like atmospheric flight, I was kicking myself for a couple weeks after the servers went dark. I actually found myself missing it a bit watching the SW marathon on Spike.

While NGE might have been a killer for you, the game was losing massive amounts of subscriptions. Roughly 1/6th of the total in one 3 month cycle, which prompted the game devs to try to do something to keep the game from dying. NGE wasn't the cure they had hoped it would have been....

Before the NGE came the Combat Upgrade (or CU, as it is commonly known). That broke SWG, along with the wonderful timing of WoW's launch. Suddenly, SWG is bleeding subs as people quit over the changes made in CU or they want to go and take a look at the new beast on the market. A lot of SWG players were already Warcraft fans thanks to the RTS games from Blizzard, so when their current MMO suddenly changes everything and breaks the game, why not check out this latest addition to the Warcraft series?

Personally, I quit just after CU because without warning, SOE rendered 8 months worth of playing utterly useless, costing me well over a million credits, as well as breaking combat, so neither of my characters were worth playing.

NGE was an attempt to bring SWG more in line with WoW because SOE didn't understand why they were losing subs. Unfortunately, that upset yet more players who had spent literally years trying to unlock a Jedi character slot, and took away some of the more favoured classes - Creature Handler, for example.

Check the server status, it seems to be doing quite well. (Haven't seen it below 1200 in a while, and that only at like 4.00am).

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Nova Test Center

Population: 28

Highest Population: 47

Maximum Capacity: 3000

Uptime: 1day 3hrs 47min 54sec

Last updated 37min 44sec

Basilisk

Population: 855

Highest Population: 856

Maximum Capacity: 3000

Uptime: 4hrs 56min 47sec

Last updated 10sec

Before the NGE came the Combat Upgrade (or CU, as it is commonly known). That broke SWG, along with the wonderful timing of WoW's launch. Suddenly, SWG is bleeding subs as people quit over the changes made in CU or they want to go and take a look at the new beast on the market. A lot of SWG players were already Warcraft fans thanks to the RTS games from Blizzard, so when their current MMO suddenly changes everything and breaks the game, why not check out this latest addition to the Warcraft series?

Personally, I quit just after CU because without warning, SOE rendered 8 months worth of playing utterly useless, costing me well over a million credits, as well as breaking combat, so neither of my characters were worth playing.

NGE was an attempt to bring SWG more in line with WoW because SOE didn't understand why they were losing subs. Unfortunately, that upset yet more players who had spent literally years trying to unlock a Jedi character slot, and took away some of the more favoured classes - Creature Handler, for example.

You have the order wrong.

SWG came out. Got to 300,000 subscriptions. Started to bleed subscribers. SOE decided to upgrade the combat, add space stuff, and the like in order to save the game. Upgrades were released, and the game subs continued to crash.

The idea that the game wasn't bleeding subscribers BEFORE all the updates came about because people don't like facts and it sounds better to say that the CU and the like killed the game instead of saying the game was already on the decline and losing people.

SWG came out. Got to 300,000 subscriptions. Started to bleed subscribers. SOE decided to upgrade the combat, add space stuff, and the like in order to save the game. Upgrades were released, and the game subs continued to crash.

The idea that the game wasn't bleeding subscribers BEFORE all the updates came about because people don't like facts and it sounds better to say that the CU and the like killed the game instead of saying the game was already on the decline and losing people.

I didn't say the game wasn't losing subscribers before then, but (continuing the 'bleeding' theme) it was like comparing the ***** of a compass point to being impaled on a spear. A few people leaving beforehand (but could have easily been patched up to save them), compared to hundreds leaving in a rush afterwards (with all hope for the game gone).

As someone who played through the CU launch, I saw how deserted cities became, how major guilds vanished overnight, and how major cities became ghost towns.

I didn't say the game wasn't losing subscribers before then, but (continuing the 'bleeding' theme) it was like comparing the ***** of a compass point to being impaled on a spear. A few people leaving beforehand (but could have easily been patched up to save them), compared to hundreds leaving in a rush afterwards (with all hope for the game gone).

As someone who played through the CU launch, I saw how deserted cities became, how major guilds vanished overnight, and how major cities became ghost towns.

The "few people leaving" was 50,000. Ouch.

The "few people leaving" was 50,000. Ouch.

It seems like a lot, but I'll bet more than that have left TOR. The reason it seemed like so many was because fewer people had a decent enough internet connection to play MMOs, and MMOs hadn't made it into mainstream entertainment - that came about thanks to WoW.

Actual on-server population, it didn't seem like that many had left. SWG always seemed busy in game, until CU and NGE.

It seems like a lot, but I'll bet more than that have left TOR. The reason it seemed like so many was because fewer people had a decent enough internet connection to play MMOs, and MMOs hadn't made it into mainstream entertainment - that came about thanks to WoW.

Actual on-server population, it didn't seem like that many had left. SWG always seemed busy in game, until CU and NGE.

It seems like a bunch because it was at the time 1/6th of the population of the game leaving over the course of a 3 month time frame.

It is but the last time I checked in on it, it was pretty dead, and still had a lot of missing features. That was about a year or so ago.

Have fun ;)!

Its pretty busy now, not bad. Though I am reluctant to put too much effot into the character, but at least I get the SWG music and the Tatooine sunset from time to time.....and its free

I loved SWG, i miss it for all of its features, but it was time to move forward.

I like SWTOR and like many other just wish they had more of the SWG features added.

Even for those SWG haters out there, You can't deny that walking around inside a gunship with your buddies flying it while its in a battle and hearing the sounds and being able to see the battle outside unfold, was pretty neat.

My mining ship had a full on bar complete with music and was a cool chillout section while our group was out doing space stuff.

Edited by kirorx

This is true, SWG lost alot of people even before the update.

That being said the last couple years the population stayed pretty steady and while that game was not loaded with people, I honestly did not care. What difference does 1000 or 100K mean to a player when I just play with my guildies and maybe a few other people.

Every Friday night restuss was packed for PvP regardless. Even in SWTOR it makes no difference when a planet is instanced anyway.

I had more major pvp battles in Restuss than I have ever had on Illum, just saying. In fact its never even been close

SWG planets had no multiple instances and they only had a few servers so the overall numbers of subs did not matter to me at all.

Edited by kirorx

SWG, the game that sucked the excitement out of its space opera source and gave us SimAuntBeru, a game about vaporator techs.

What can I say I love starwars and i also love to play Tropico 3 and Operation Genesis. So Give me a Sim Starwars and that would be awesome :cool:

Every time this topic comes up. I cant help but think a bunch of nerds lost their one opportunity to RP whatever they wanted in the Star Wars Universe without having rocks thrown at them at the local park. And theyre still mad about it.

Alot of irony when writing a post about nerds on a forum website for an online starwars videogame. :jawa_cool: