Buyer Beware

POINGjam

The recent patch has been causing damage to players' graphics cards. I'm sure it's in the EULA that users accept liability for system damage sustained while running the game (as it is in pretty much every game's EULA), but isn't this taking advantage of the customer? It's unreasonable to expect consumers to buy software at the risk of hundreds of dollars of equipment damage. If a car manufacturer puts out a product with faulty brakes, they get called on it, issue a recall, and compensate customers for any related damages (that includes property).

I get that we won't see a dime in compensation for the damage to our systems from SWTOR, but what can we do to change the PC game industry's practice of putting all liability on the consumer?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The recent patch has been causing damage to players' graphics cards. I'm sure it's in the EULA that users accept liability for system damage sustained while running the game (as it is in pretty much every game's EULA), but isn't this taking advantage of the customer? It's unreasonable to expect consumers to buy software at the risk of hundreds of dollars of equipment damage. If a car manufacturer puts out a product with faulty brakes, they get called on it, issue a recall, and compensate customers for any related damages (that includes property).

I get that we won't see a dime in compensation for the damage to our systems from SWTOR, but what can we do to change the PC game industry's practice of putting all liability on the consumer?

Awesome! Software code is causing hardware damage.

Yeah, worst. Troll Evar! Go back to your bridge with this nonsense.

I would think all you could do is not buy the product right out of the gate, wait a few months then buy it. Or if it still happening all you can do is call it a bad product and move to a differant one.

If potato's give you gas all the time, wouldn't you stop eating potatos?

3rd party software doesn't cause video cards to malfunction. A bad video card causes video cards to malfunction.

Incorrect. A couple years back, Nvidia put out drivers that killed people's cards. It caused them to be over-worked, and caused massive overheating even though the cards temps showed as 60-70 on temp monitors.

i thought people had to have accounts to post. dont tell me this person spent 60 bucks plus another 15 to continue to make up lies and bash a game for no reason.

I mean i thought i did not have a life but i think this person beats me in that department now.

Incorrect. A couple years back, Nvidia put out drivers that killed people's cards. It caused them to be over-worked, and caused massive overheating even though the cards temps showed as 60-70 on temp monitors.

That isn't third party software, those are drivers which directly control how the hardware works.

Third party software can't kill video cards. Poor cooling, bad video cards, and bad drivers kill video cards.

Drivers and applications aren't the same thing.

how is it causing damage?

not trolling... genuinely curious...

The rumor is that it's causing some cards to run hot enough to die. I've yet to see anyone say that it happened to them. It's always someone else.

My experience is that my video card is running cooler in the last couple of patches that it was in beta. /shrug

i thought people had to have accounts to post. dont tell me this person spent 60 bucks plus another 15 to continue to make up lies and bash a game for no reason.

I mean i thought i did not have a life but i think this person beats me in that department now.

My sub has been cancelled since early this month, were still on our free month or the system is bugged and I can still post.

I would not pay $14.99 to talk to 'fans'

I lost my old radion x850 back in the day because a driver i installed :confused:

luckily they sent me one of the more recent models to make up for it which was good because it sucked anyways imo :D

That's not 3rd party software... :rolleyes: