Does AA work for you?

universeman

Just logged in last night and tried the AA settings. I can't tell that they are working. My FPS doesn't seem to be affected, regardless of the setting (None, Low, High). And I don't seem to notice a visual difference either (though maybe I'm looking at the wrong things to tell).

Isn't it supposed to smooth out the jaggies?

I've got a 6950.

There was a dev tracker post specifically saying that it does not work on 69xx series ati cards and that they are working with them on the issue.

In other words, known bug. All you can do right now is sit back and wait if you have a 69xx radeon.

Edited by savagepotato

It works with GTX580, no fps drop, but it's still far from what we know as fully in game supported AA.

I would rather have FXAA or SMAA with a sharpening filter on the layer between scenery and UI elements than that, all these nasty aliased edges are hurting my eyes.

I did try some of the things others posted, like forcing Sparse Grid, but Sparse Grid is to expensive and does more blur over the complete scenery than enhancing the issue which are the edges.

Edited by Mineria

I have a ati 5850 card and see no differance when i change. ANy suggestions?

Maybe it's broken like it is on the 69xx radeons. Just a guess however. It does seem like ATI users are having more issues with it.

I have it on high with GTX580's and it looks great.

Edited by savagepotato

I have a ati 5850 card and see no differance when i change. ANy suggestions?

As I wrote above, the difference is really low, I wonder if it only applies AAx2 or alike.

Suggestion? Make Bioware developers play around with SMAA and FXAA together with a sharpening filter.

Works great for me, 100 FPS and High AA.

GTX 570

You got starships, right?

Take a screenshot of your cockpit windows.

I bet there are still jagged edges all over unless you run with some insanely high resolution.

It helps on characters, buildings, stairs and rocks but I still see more jaggies than I like, maybe because I have been coding a lot on AA and shaders myself.

Edited by Mineria

Currently, AA works for some and not for others. ATI cards appear to have a driver issue which BW is working with AMD/ATI to resolve. nVidia cards seem to be working fine with the AA setting.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1797449#edit1797449

AA is disabled for 1 ATI (69xx series) via the game. I'm sure other ATI cards are having issues esp. since the problem is with the ATI driver.

For me AA seems to smooth out all of the shadows and stops that freaky tree shadow thing in cut scenes, but it has the unfortunate side effect of making the entire screen go black (except for lighting effects, like torches and lamps) every once in a while. My friend turned his on and saw no affect whatsoever.

In short, it is still broken as far as I can tell.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

Edited by Blackavaar

it works great for me on my 8800GTX (yes, old but still powerful).

not relevant to discussion...But I love the 8800GTX... best damn card NVidia made. (they based the entire 9000 series after it...) still have mine running in my other computer.

HD5870 here

AA works fine in the cinematics, not so fine in normal gameplay. (Both used to work fine in beta).

No and low AA give the same result.

I had to restart the client after teting without AA for AA to actually be active in game again.

Forcing AA through the driver works better for me. The result looks better.