Speakers as Sound output option!!!

Talonvore

Firt off im not here to say WoW is better than SWtOR or that SWtOR is better than WoW. This is simply a request for an option that i think is much needed in this game.

In WoW's sound options you had the option to choose a default setting for your sound output for the game. What this did was allow your game sounds to always come out of your speakers regardless of whether you had a headset plugged in for using Vent (Ventrillo). This allowed you to hear game sounds as clearly as you needed to while also allowing you to hear your friends through vent without one or the other drowning each other out. This is important because I, and I imagine many others, generally play MMO's with a group of friends and we like to hang out in vent as we play as well as Vent being a much needed way to communicate quickly when doing things like PvP and group/raid content.

An option like this is even more important in a game like SWtOR because there are so many cutscenes with dialogue in the game that it is very frustrating when you are using a headset and Vent and can't hear anything because game sounds and vent are coming through the same source. Also to a lesser degree sometimes you cant hear your friends due to game noise.

Now some may say you dont need to hear game sounds anyway just turn the game volume down and I will respond by saying I actually like to hear game sounds when im playing. If you don't thats fine everyone is different. I dont think it's that much to ask this option to be implemented in a game, as i said before, that is so cutscene heavy and where the music of the game is actually enjoyable for me as well as adding mood and ambiance to the game.

I know there are lots of requests for this or that to be added to the game but i think this is a pretty basic and vital option. If you agree post a comment so that we can try to get the devs to implement this option. I put this in General Discussion because i did'nt see a Suggestions forum.

Sorry but that is not a solution. I dont have dual monitors and I shouldnt have to have dual monitors when there is a very simple fix without the expense and headache of having dual monitors. Additionally I dont want to have to window out every time I need to reduce sound in one program or the other and even if i were willing to do this when you window out all game sound is cutoff and when you window back into the game it takes a few seconds to load up again.

If this was a sincere reply on your part please dont take my response negatively, I'm just saying that it is not a practical solution.

Edited by Talonvore

Go to your sound control panel in windows and set your speakers as default output. This will make swtor come over speakers.

Go then to your ventrilo options and set the output to your headset. I never used vent, but I know TS and Skype both offer this option, so I'm quite sure vent does, too.

Problem solved.

An option like this is even more important in a game like SWtOR because there are so many cutscenes with dialogue in the game that it is very frustrating when you are using a headset and Vent and can't hear anything because game sounds and vent are coming through the same source.
It may help you to turn on subtitles in the preferences so that if you can't hear, you don't miss any dialogue.

Go to your sound control panel in windows and set your speakers as default output. This will make swtor come over speakers.

Go then to your ventrilo options and set the output to your headset. I never used vent, but I know TS and Skype both offer this option, so I'm quite sure vent does, too.

Problem solved.

Thanks! This sounds a lot easier than what I have been doing.

Basicly, I unplug my headset and start the game loading. Alt+Tab to desk top, plug in headset, get Vent up and running. Go back in game.

This puts the game on my speakers and vent on my headset.

on that same note, I would also like to request a box to tick in the options to allow sound to persist when minimized/ program is in the background. Since I do have two monitors and enjoy the option of being able to web browse and take care of school related things while I'm playing by setting the game to fullscreen (windowed) mode. That allows the game to not minimize on my main screen but gives me the ability to control the web browser. Being able to continue to hear whats coming out of the game sound-wise while I"m dealing with other things would be fantastic.

I know thats one of those creature comfort features but having more control over my sound card (as this thread suggests) and where and what its coming from and when goes a long way to making the stay even that much more seamless.

I have my speakers set to default in my sound control panel, and i also have my headset selected for outbound and inbound options in Vent setting but it does not work. Maybe im missing something here so any info would be much appreciated.

I've spent the last 10 to 15 minutes trying to get only vent sounds through my headset so that all other sounds will come through desktop speakers and i cant get it to work.

Also if this is supposed to work this way if you set it up right, and I believe those of you that say you have done it that way, there must be an issue somewhere because why then would Blizzard but that option into their sounds options menu?? I've had this issue before with other games which is why i loved the fact that Blizzard put that option into their game.

I've tried everything from going into realtek audio settings, trying several different headsets, trying every configuration in Vent to get only Vent sounds through headset to no avail. I've googled this issue and tried several different work arounds and none of them simply work. This option was in WoW for a reason so i again it shouldnt be a prob to implement it here. If others have this issue please let me know so i know its not just me, i've had friends that have had the same issue. If you DON'T have this issue im happy for you :), but that does not resolve MY issue. While im at it i dont claim to be a computer expert, i do know how to google things and follow instructions and as i've said i've looked up and read several different topics about this to no avail. Again Blizzard must have put this option in for a reason, the reason being that obviously many people were having the same issues as I am or they wouldnt have taken the time to put that featuer in. Edited by Talonvore

Well then fix it. It's very simple, right?

Its flippant, morons like you that don't read and comprehend what you read that makes forums the gutter that it turns out to be 90% of the time. To those that actually offered constructive suggestions i thank you for your time, but to idiots like this guy why do you bother posting.

If you weren't so dimwitted that you cant understand what you read check my post again. I offered a solution to the problem that would "Fix it".

Edited by Talonvore

I've tried everything from going into realtek audio settings, trying several different headsets, trying every configuration in Vent to get only Vent sounds through headset to no avail. I've googled this issue and tried several different work arounds and none of them simply work. This option was in WoW for a reason so i again it shouldnt be a prob to implement it here. If others have this issue please let me know so i know its not just me, i've had friends that have had the same issue. If you DON'T have this issue im happy for you :), but that does not resolve MY issue. While im at it i dont claim to be a computer expert, i do know how to google things and follow instructions and as i've said i've looked up and read several different topics about this to no avail. Again Blizzard must have put this option in for a reason, the reason being that obviously many people were having the same issues as I am or they wouldnt have taken the time to put that featuer in.

Have you tried the work-a-round I suggested in my earlier post? In case you missed it, I will post it again.

1. unplug headset

2. get SWToR loading to character screen

3. alt-tab out or however you go to desktop

4. plug in headset

5. get vent up and running

This should get your game on your speakers and vent on your headset. It's a little annoying to have to do this, but it works.

Sorry but that is not a solution. I dont have dual monitors and I shouldnt have to have dual monitors when there is a very simple fix without the expense and headache of having dual monitors. Additionally I dont want to have to window out every time I need to reduce sound in one program or the other and even if i were willing to do this when you window out all game sound is cutoff and when you window back into the game it takes a few seconds to load up again.

If this was a sincere reply on your part please dont take my response negatively, I'm just saying that it is not a practical solution.

you don't need dual moniters.

Just set up a keybind in ventriloquy to toggle mute.

quick google comes up with:

I personally have that set up, with the same key toggling both ventrillo and mumble to muted.

Unfortuneately Cirindi this does not work for me, but thanks for the suggestion. For whatever reason i cant get a seperation between headset and speakers no matter what options i try. Its either one or the other. If I go to control panel and set speakers as default it will over-ride my headphones. If i start up star wars without headphones pluggede in , log into the game then go back and get Vent fired up , vent will through my speakers, and when i go to the vent options to pick my headphones as the output device it will also make the game sounds come through my headphones. For some reason the vent options overide my computer options and vice versa. Instead of the Vent options being and independant setting inside itself it actually changes setting for everything. Not sure why this is happening and there fore would love to hear from people having the same issue.

I've never been able to get vent voices to come through headphones while game sounds come through 2.1 speakers.

I've played WoW and I never realized the speaker setting did that - and I don't think it does.

Why?

Because I also have googled this before and pretty sure that you can't seperate sound outputs - whatever your output is... 2.1 or 4.1 or 5.1... that's what it is, speakers OR headset, I have not heard of a way to differentiate Vent coming through X channel while game comes through Y channel - pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

I too would love to hear if there's a way to do that, but I don't think there is!

(which would explain why nothing works and why googling it doesnt show an answer)

Edited by al_giordino

Thanks Ferroz for the info. I guess thats the best i can get right now but again it would be nice to be able to have game sounds through speakers, and vent sounds through headset. I played all the way through WoW that way so i know that it is possible and im not crazy.

I've never been able to get vent voices to come through headphones while game sounds come through 2.1 speakers.

I've played WoW and I never realized the speaker setting did that - and I don't think it does.

Why?

Because I also have googled this before and pretty sure that you can't seperate sound outputs - whatever your output is... 2.1 or 4.1 or 5.1... that's what it is, speakers OR headset, I have not heard of a way to differentiate Vent coming through X channel while game comes through Y channel - pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

I too would love to hear if there's a way to do that, but I don't think there is!

(which would explain why nothing works and why googling it doesnt show an answer)

I can most assuredly tell you that it did work in WoW without a doubt. I had no problems what so ever with having vent through headphones only and game sounds through the speaker, so yes it is possible. Additionally i read comments about splitting front and rear sound paths to do this through pc options but it doesnt work for me but has worked for others.

Here is a link to one such discussion

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/55642-6-splitting-audio-headset-speakers

There are definitely some sound issues present in this build of the game.

I use a standard stereo setup with M-AUDIO BX-5a's connected to a pre-amp via USB and often I'll get muted or misdirected audio from the wrong speaker that does not correlate to what's happening on screen. It's not a major issue, but one that needs to be improved soon. For the most part the only time it has hindered my gameplay is in PvP, but it's been a ok solution to just turn my camera to see who's there (and in some cases has made me slightly paranoid and caught a few stealthies! =D)

Overall, I'm very impressed with the level of sound design and scoring, just the channel mixing needs to be tweaked a little thats all.

Did you know that Windows itself takes care of the OP's problem?

• From the taskbar at the bottom right, right click the sound icon
  • select Recording Devices
  • select the tab Communications
  • Check the option for Mute other Sounds

Now anytime you press the Mic, you're other sounds including the game are muted and other's simply hear your voice. This is a must to prevent feedback and others from hearing your game when trying to hear just you.

If this isn't enough, most voice programs have options to redirect sounds to specific outputs. I use the center channel to hear other's voices and keep the left/right/surround outputs just for the game. Windows also works with multiple sound cards, you could even have the built in default computer sound from the motherboard output just your voice chat and an installed sound card output the game.

Edited by NuanceNW

FYI please dont take this as im bashing SWtOR and trying to compare it to WoW becasue im not. I enjoy this game and i want to continue enjoying this game. I only bring up WoW beacuse the solution to the issue that im having does exist because i've used it in that particular game.

I'm alos not saying that this is an issue exclusive to only SWtOR as i've seen poeple discuss this issue about other games as well. All i do know is that there is a solution and Blizzard has implemented it to the pleasure of their customers.

You do realize that Windows itself takes care of the OP's problem.

• From the taskbar at the bottom right, right click the sound icon
  • select Recording Devices
  • select the tab Communications
  • Check the option for Mute other Sounds

Now anytime you press the Mic, you're other sounds including the game are muted and other's simply hear your voice.

Again is somewhat of a workaround for noise issues but that does not address the whole isssue. The issue is having vent come through headset and game sounds coming through speakers.

While your solution makes the issue somewhat better it is only a workaround and not a complete solution. I dont want to have to push a button to mute people everytime i need to hear something in game or vice versa. It's not jsut an issue of other people hearing background noise when i speak , its an issue when others are talking when you are trying to listen to the game. Yes, Ferroz came up with a mute for Vent to again "Workaround" that and if thats the best it can get then that's what I will do. Again please read and comprehend what is being discussed.