Why dont more folks use Bowdaar?

LordBanjax

Bowdar gets a bad rep though. Meaning he is not your best companion but he ain't all that bad either. I admit that I was one that got in here and started reading all the bad things about Bowdar and I did not even bother with him. Finally I decided to gear him up and give it a shot. I like him a lot now. At least for me he seems to survive a lot more then Corso did. And he is doing more dmg...

I really think if you spend as much effort gearing you companion as you do yourself, you will find that they are all very usefull. Yes, some are better then others. Yes, some need a little more attention, but none of them are useless as some will try to make you believe.

I have Bowdaar kitted out in oranges ( Which i farmed from lowbie instances and upgraded with mods. <3 Cybertech. ) with no implants and a rare earpiece.

All fully up to date, level 50 Smuggler, level 50 Bowdaar with max level mods, rare/epic mods at that. All set to face the world.

What's that Bowdaar?

You died again?

I do love Bowdaar, and i'd love to take him everywhere with me, unfortunately even if he's the best geared companion i have at the moment. ( Haven't upgraded Akaavi's mods though i'm working on it now. ) He simple isn't a good companion :/

It makes me sad :<

that sucks, doesn't give me much hope in the future. I'm only lvl 40 now on my smuggler (GS) but so far he's doing pretty good as far as staying alive and tanking for me.

I've been using Bowdaar exclusively since I got him. I haven't even pulled out Akaavi to see how she is. He just feels right for my character and I really enjoy the company of a Wookie.

Unfortunately, I just got Guss, and Guss is awesome. For PvP and PvE he's the all-round better choice. But I love my Wookie and I refuse to give him up, so I have to fight extra-hard just to be able to keep him around.

It annoys me that I'm almost being forced to drop my favourite companion for Guss.

The thing I like most about Bowdaar is the golf swing uppercut knockback on normals. Always cracks me up. They need to make that move work on elites too.

Whats better is when you deliver a crotch kick just before he punts them, it's comedic gold.

... Whats that Mr. Mob, decided to come smack the defenseless smuggler with your glowy stick? SMACK take a groin shot before PUNT Bowdaar baseball bats you out of the park:)

My only problem with bowdar is he tends to aggro more that we can handle. He throws mobs and then insists on chasing them down aggroing everything. The last straw was when we were working on clearing a heroic 2 man and he aggroed 3 groups of gold stars at once.

I am Armortech so keeping all my companions, except Bowdarr, fully geared is really simple. Plus it allows me to get Commendations for really good gear at the end of each Planet for me and usually one of my companions.

I used Bowdaar from the time I first got him, until about 40. Out of a whim I busted out Corso in his full green tank set and he not only survived noticeably longer, but he is much easier for me to gear up.

My only problem with bowdar is he tends to aggro more that we can handle. He throws mobs and then insists on chasing them down aggroing everything. The last straw was when we were working on clearing a heroic 2 man and he aggroed 3 groups of gold stars at once.

Definitely turn off his throw. It makes everything more manageable.

My problem with him is not his throw but the fact that he's coded as a melee tank but doesn't have the skills to last like a melee tank.

Gunslinger here and I've used Bowdaar since I added him as a companion all the way to 50. I've tried running with other companions and have never had much luck with it.

He and I have a great system....he makes them angry and I pew pew them till they fall down :)

I have almost all of my companions decked out and Bowdaar as much as I wanted him to be good just isn't. I almost always use Akaavi and Guss. With Akaavi I can drop stuff extremely fast and with Guss I never worry about dying. Akaavi is by far the best for pvp if you want to kill someone fast.

She does so much damage she doesn't even need a taunt, half the time she'll pull it from me and I'm in all Artis! I did get her a lvl 50 purple techstaff which helped a lot since they seem to be so tough to find on my server.

I'm scrapper and I use Risha mainly. Corso for tanking. I pass down old gears to Risha which are slightly less than my gear. If you get jump in open pvp, Risha will tear them apart. I was 43 when I got jumped by a 50 sith, kite him around and Risha took him down less than a min. Got jumped by 2 sith one time, one at my level and the other was 4 level lower than me. Sad to say both are dead.

I came here to see if I was doing something wrong with him all this time. Looks like many are having the same problems I'm having.

I've been using Bowdaar as my Gunslingers main companion and I have to say, the Wookiee NEEDS another look at. Poor guy.

What's that? Sleep

Don't hit that guy into that mob . . . Sleep

Hang in there, I almost have 'em Bowdaar . . . . Sleep

After trying quite a few of the other classes and seeing how their companions are, yeah, it's a huge suckfest with Bowdaar. It kills me to say that too.

:ph_cheers:

I think most people don't use him because of gear. You tend to take crafting skills to make gear for yourself, and can then make gear for all you other companions except him. Unless you have a synthweaving alt he tends to be a pain to keep geared enough not to die really fast.

But I think he's also somewhat underpowered. On a side note, the wookie companions you got in the kotor series were the weakest guys you got cause they only had half the gear slots as everyone else. I think Wookies just need more love.

Bowdaar is a pain, but that is because all melee tank companions are a pain. My main character is a Healer Sage and so I had to learn how to use Qzyen properly as he is the only viable companion for 40-41 levels.

Melee tanks hold aggro much better then ranged tanks, as they actually use the AoE taunt properly. This means they die a lot quicker as the entire enemy group will hitting them which isn't normally the case with ranged tanks. Melee tanks need the best possible gear you can find/make to survive as they are standing in the most vulnerable place in a combat. If you are a healer they are fantastic if you use them properly (you can easily take on almost any group of enemies with decent resource management), turn them onto passive when you use your CC to pull enemies. Then pull the rest of the enemies away from the CC'd one (break line of sight, run away, etc...) and get Bowdaar to attack. The Throw ability makes it more difficult to manage Bowdaar so turn it off if you are having problems.

It is a pain to deal with doing all of that for the melee tank companions, but sometimes you just have to use them for certain fights. If all you are worried about it killing stuff as fast and efficiently as possible then they are a poor choice for companions.

Edited by CedrionKatar

Im 50 now. I pretty much used Bowdar until I got Risha. Once I got her Ive used her pretty much exclusively all the way up.

My reasoning is she kills things much faster then any of the others. Im a healing scoundrel so... I throw her a couple HoT's and we are good to go. The tanks just take too long. I also prefer her because gearing her is easy as I generally just gave her my gear that I upgraded since she uses the same Medium/Cunning armor.

Ill probably gear up Guss and Corso though as they can be useful here and there. Bowdar I liked but sometimes it just seemed Corso causes less aggro issues and all that.