Why are most MMOs 15 dollars a month?

Neeseek

I have no issues paying this as I've been playing MMORPGs for over 10 years, however why is this the "trademark" monthly price?

With a titan like MMORPG out there, and with all these new MMOs coming out and failing, I'm surprised no MMO has attempted a "9.99" or so subscription fee and think longterm, the cheaper the game is, the more it sets itself up in the long term and perhaps even more subscripers.

Just a thought here, any reasoning to why it's always 15?

I forget where I read the article, but it was Richard Garriott who talked about where they got the $9.99 for UO back in the beginning of these games, and his response was basically, "We just thought is was a good number that people might not balk too much over paying." Paraphrasing, of course, but they basically just plucked $10 out of the air. And then over time, it went up to $15.

I have no issues paying this as I've been playing MMORPGs for over 10 years, however why is this the "trademark" monthly price?

With a titan like MMORPG out there, and with all these new MMOs coming out and failing, I'm surprised no MMO has attempted a "9.99" or so subscription fee and think longterm, the cheaper the game is, the more it sets itself up in the long term and perhaps even more subscripers.

Just a thought here, any reasoning to why it's always 15?

Perpetuum Online has a 9.99 sub fee. and no cost to buy.

Good game, but too much like EVE with a smaller playerbase.

15 bucks is nothing. It's about the cost of a scotch on the rocks or 2 beers in the tri-state area. If you play 2 crappy hours a day (and we know everyone *wink* is playing more than that)... that's 2x30 days = 60 hours = 25 cents an hour for entertainment.

:)

Honestly I think the days of the pay to play MMO are grinding to their miserable end. "Freemium" MMOs make vastly more money than all of the pay to play MMOs save one, and with appropriate effort on the gaming and business models should be a great way to get product onto people's machines in into their schedules.

Don't worry OP, Subcription based MMO's are becoming more and more unsutainable. Eventually all MMO's will be F2P or B2P, but little to no P2P - its a dying model.

P2P is a scam - WoW with its 10 million subs admitted that 1 months subs = an entire years server/employee salary and development costs. Everything blizzard needs to run for a year is done in just 1 month's subs from WoW. Yet they only release new content every 6 months or even longer - next expac won't be out for a long, long time.

11 months of profit for very little content - why keep paying that. This is why P2P is dying - developers abuse it.

Edited by Naekyr

Because back in the day it was 9.99 a month to play. Then someone thought "Hey I bet we could raise it a few bucks and they'd still play". And they were right. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go up again at some point, games have been 14.99 a month forever it seems.

Cause they can simple as that. Look at Guild Wars for example its a AAA title and no sub. GW2 is coming soon prolly going to put all these games to shame and its no sub.

GW2 is using a much better business model. With GW2 you pay $60 for the game then pay no monthly sub. Then you just pay again for each expansion, which would be around $30. This encourages the developers to create new content. Monthly subs make them lazy because money keep coming in even if there's no new content...