SSD Does NOTHING to improve Loading Times for SWTOR

SiEDeN

Umm, you guys do know that MMOs are one of the things you shouldn't put onto a SSD?

Constant rewrites (read: patches) kill the lifespan.

Who cares about the lifespan of an SSD at this point?

The tech is moving so quickly I will be surprised if I ever use one for more than a year or two at most. My current SSD is a year old and I feel like it's a dinosaur compared to newer models.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, you guys do know that MMOs are one of the things you shouldn't put onto a SSD?

Depends entirely on the SSD. If you buy a crap one, sure.. it'll get horribly affected before long. Get a good one, its not really going to be a problem for years (and in years, i'll have bought myself a new and bigger one anyway as prices drop and technology improves).

Edited by PlacidDragon

2 Intel 510 SSD's in a RAID0 array (SATA 6G).

My load times are 10s TOPS. The array is on a software controller too. Recent tests show read times approaching 900MB/s.

Test your drive read/write speeds and make sure they aren't incredibly slow for some reason.

I've had arguments with other people on this issue, and been repeatedly called a troll for it, but it's true. I've seen it in a side-by-side comparison.

I have a fast SSD drive, and a friend I frequently play with has a 7200 RPM SATA drive, and for things like planet transitions, we generally pop in at the same time. I've been guessing that it's because there's a network bottleneck or something (my machine outperforms my friend's in every way possible). And like a previous poster mentioned, it does seem to vary based on time of day.

Anyway, I'm sort of glad to see someone else say it, because it was getting really old to be called a troll when I told people that an SSD wouldn't help on those long load.

Edited by imtrick

That is because the issue is not the HDD. It is the CPU.

This has been discussed. Repeatedly.

Wow, if the search function on the forums was activated I could understand your vitriol, but it's not. Glad I won't be playing with your kind after tomorrow.

OCZ Vertex SSD

4.0 GHz i5-750 Quad Core.

About 1-2 minute loading times depending on zone.

4GB 1333MHz Corsair

All non-essential Windows services disabled.

Anyway - can't test it now because I no longer have a subscription.

Edited by MrOuija

Lol could always just buy a new one when it dies.

OC your rig reduces the lifespan as well and many many do that have had my e8400 since it launched @4ghz on liquid and its still going strong.

Yeah Im running a SATA III SSD and my load times are almost identical to my WD black caviar HDD. Maybe I shave off 1 or 2 seconds.

edit: how are you guys getting 1-2 minute load screens?? its like 15 seconds for me.

Edited by Hung_H

You're making the assumption that Hard Drive Speeds are the cause of your lag issues.

Things that are probably the issue with your computer:

- Your memory may be running out. Windows 7 runs on 0.5-1.5 GB depending on your version. SW:TOR runs off of at least 1.2 GB on a good day. I've gotten up to 1.8 GB. If you need to page file SW:TOR, you need more RAM.

- Your memory may be too slow. If your MB can't support any faster RAM (because its too old), its time to upgrade MBs.

- Your CPU may be too slow.

Right now, I'm running on AMD Phenom II Black Edition 3.5ghZ 4-core with 16 GB (I know, overkill) DDR3 RAM. I have at least 38 FPS in Carrick Station, 65 FPS anywhere else. Ilum last night (200+ bodies on screen) *did* slow my computer down to 10 FPS, though.

Wow, if the search function on the forums was activated I could understand your vitriol, but it's not. Glad I won't be playing with your kind after tomorrow.

That would be wonderful in a perfect world.

But forum ragers will remain. History has shown this.

Edited by savagepotato

That is because the issue is not the HDD. It is the CPU.

This has been discussed. Repeatedly.

Please explain in full detail how its CPU based....

I experience slow load times periodically on my rig.

Rig Stats:

2600k OCed to 4.2

WD 1tb Black

8 gigs of Corsair vengeance

Nvidia 560ti super clocked

Windows 7 64 bit

- Not nothing is normally running but vent.

So please do tell how my CPU is the bottle neck

Heh... no, patches are not "constant rewrites." They are, in fact, very infrequent rewrites, which are just the kind of thing SSDs are good for.

OCZ Vertex SSD

4.0 GHz i5-750 Quad Core.

About 1-2 minute loading times depending on zone.

Anyway - can't test it now because I no longer have a subscription.

See that is odd.

I notice load times feel longer than the beta, I would still say at most my load times are maybe 25 seconds as a rough estimate, I've never timed it.

1 to 2 minutes is pretty extreme.

I've had arguments with other people on this issue, and been repeatedly called a troll for it, but it's true. I've seen it in a side-by-side comparison.

I have a fast SSD drive, and a friend I frequently play with has a 7200 RPM SATA drive, and for things like planet transitions, we generally pop in at the same time. I've been guessing that it's because there's a network bottleneck or something (my machine outperforms my friend's in every way possible). And like a previous poster mentioned, it does seem to vary based on time of day.

Anyway, I'm sort of glad to see someone else say it, because it was getting really old to be called a troll when I told people that an SSD wouldn't help on those long load.

Thing is i can do a side by side comparison and mine is way faster.

I'm almost always one of the first players to load into warzones. My Internet connection is certainly worse than average (3G Aircard, minimum 130ms latency and max bandwidth of 1 Mbps) but I have SSD hard disks in a RAID config. I have to assume this is the reason why I'm always standing at the Huttball shield while everyone else in the group is still loading in. Edited by Kholvan

That would be wonderful in a perfect world.

But forum ragers will remain. History has shown this.

I think you misunderstood me, I won't be playing this game tomorrow so I won't have to put up with this horribly rude and disrespectful community after today.

Please explain in full detail how its CPU based....

I experience slow load times periodically on my rig.

Rig Stats:

2600k OCed to 4.2

WD 1tb Black

8 gigs of Corsair vengeance

Nvidia 560ti super clocked

Windows 7 64 bit

- Not nothing is normally running but vent.

So please do tell how my CPU is the bottle neck

Someone is just going to come in and troll you by saying you should buy an alienware or a dell.

Don't you know how this works?

See that is odd.

I notice load times feel longer than the beta, I would still say at most my load times are maybe 25 seconds as a rough estimate, I've never timed it.

1 to 2 minutes is pretty extreme.

I would kill for 25 seconds loading times.

I think you misunderstood me, I won't be playing this game tomorrow so I won't have to put up with this horribly rude and disrespectful community after today.

Hm, well you could technically stop right now if you really wanted.

It is after all optional, and all that.

Thing is i can do a side by side comparison and mine is way faster.

I think it depends on what's loading. I'm talking specifically about the ones when you change planets. Other ones may not; I honestly haven't checked. But I definitely see it on the planet loading screens.

I'm almost always one of the first players to load into warzones. My Internet connection is certainly worse than average (3G Aircard, minimum 130ms latency and max bandwidth of 1 Mbps) but I have SSD hard disks in a RAID config. I have to assume is the reason why I'm always standing at the Huttball shield while everyone else in the group is still loading in.

Good point. I'm always among the first into wz's. Also, I have to wait on others in conversations.

Maybe it's better to say that we're not seeing as much speed as we should get with an SSD.