SiEDeN

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you say so.

I quite like loading zones in <4s.

So do I.

The chances that a computer will be able to do that by replacing the hard drive? Slim to none. SSD will often make no difference in loading times, because there are so many other factors. My loading times are in seconds as well (I haven't timed it, lol), and I don't have a SSD. But if you feel they've made a difference for you, great.

So do I.

The chances that a computer will be able to do that by replacing the hard drive? Slim to none. SSD will often make no difference in loading times, because there are so many other factors. My loading times are in seconds as well (I haven't timed it, lol), and I don't have a SSD. But if you feel they've made a difference for you, great.

I think you're missing the point.

I do have an SSD, the load times vs a conventional HDD are noticeable in almost every game. I used to think the same as you did "they're too much money for what you get", eventually though I just took the plunge as the one I have was on sale. The difference is remarkable.

My second drive is a WD Black 1TB SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache, SSD is an OCZ Vertex 3. The SSD read throughput is almost 4x that of my WD.

Umm, you guys do know that MMOs are one of the things you shouldn't put onto a SSD?

Constant rewrites (read: patches) kill the lifespan.

You consider weekly patches as being, "constant rewrites"?

No, they're talking about data that is literally being rewritten, changed, moved, fragmented, etc throughout a single day's use. Situations where this would occur would be video/audio encoding/decoding and compression; anything that would change the data in a database; programming compilation, etc. Another big one would be to have you browser cache directory pointing to an SSD...that would be bad.

Something that sits on your drive and possibly makes a couple GB worth of changes at a single time, once a week, is NOT bad for an SSD. That is extremely infrequent, comparatively-speaking in today's hardware technology.

Edited by Nangasaur

Just upgraded to a SSD and my loads times have improved. While nothing earth shattering it is an improvement on what I was running before. Still, I thought it would load a lot faster.
It depends on where the bottleneck is in your system, configuration, and even server-side issues can even play a part.

But by-and-large, an SSD can produce the greatest improvement in load times when all other system specs and configuration options could not possibly be part of the problem.

People with 2-minute load times have far greater problems than just their drive type.

the folks who will get the most overall improvement are probably sitting in the 30s to 1 minute load time range with a HDD.

Also, just a protip: only thing better than 1 SSD is 2 SSD's. One for isolating your OS and all its functions, and one for the game.

The engine is horribly coded. I have an i7 at 4.1 ghz, SLI 580 gtx, and an SSD, but I still get 3-4 minute load times.

What is the speed of your memory? I have a AMD phenom 2 x4, a normal 7200rpm drive and dual amd 6950s and I never hit a minute load time, let alone 3 or 4

You consider weekly patches as being, "constant rewrites"?

No, they're talking about data that is literally being rewritten, changed, moved, fragmented, etc throughout a single day's use. Situations where this would occur would be video/audio encoding/decoding and compression; anything that would change the data in a database; programming compilation, etc. Another big one would be to have you browser cache directory pointing to an SSD...that would be bad.

Something that sits on your drive and possibly makes a couple GB worth of changes at a single time, once a week, is NOT bad for an SSD. That is extremely infrequent, comparatively-speaking in today's hardware technology.

Actually MMOs in general, and this game in a really big specific, does a lot of reading and writing.. Here a clue, if they didnt an SSD would not be beneficial so why get one for the game. Not to mention all the voice overs and cust scenes (video/audio), the file databases for the game.

I upgraded to a M4 128gb, and good lord did it speed up. I load into warzones within 7-9 seconds, fleet about the same. The only thing that loads slower is correlia and belsavis around 14+ seconds.

And even with MMO's or any kind of daily use your SSD lifespan will still be 3-5 years on heavy use.

Edited by Leadslinger

Human beings exist and experience events only so fast.

Anything faster and they won't notice.

The game client still has to communicate with the server in order to know what to render. Your SSD probably does actually make a difference, but you might never notice it in any real way.

The proper use for an SSD is in large database apps where there are an overwhelming number of records to query. Thats why it was popular in business. Out here... probably makes a big difference playing single-player games.

Edited by Gleneagle

Umm, you guys do know that MMOs are one of the things you shouldn't put onto a SSD?

Constant rewrites (read: patches) kill the lifespan.

Eh, its not like the lifespan of an SSD is measured in minutes and you have to count any precious second. And it's not like you have any vital data stored locally even if the drive does die.

I have a 240GB PCI SSD. Not only the amazing read/write of SSD, but the transfer speed of the PCI-E slot versus the limited transfer speed of SATA.

My load times average 20-25 seconds. I've only played on this rig, so I have no comparison, but that seems very fast.

Revodrive, it is nice thing to have, 1Gb/s read and 950Mb/s write. Or if you have newer version, then it is even faster than old model.

im getting 10-15 sec load times on the loading screen on my OCZ SSD.

Same here, I have the OCZ pci-e SSD.

EDIT: the only time the game takes a long time to load is after clicking play on the character screen and even still it only took 33 seconds. Just checked it.

So maybe there is indeed a bottleneck in OP's rig, I dunno really.

Edited by Gehoornde