George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series

KaidinVox

I found that his 'nagging' is reasonable enough. He doesn't want to do any sequel and state that several time. The story was done so why force him to do more. He can't win. Whatever he do, his hatedom will always be there to blame him like he was reincarnation of devil instead of just sit back and watch the film(or don't watch it if they prefer).

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? you guys are posting on the forum of a game that would never be possible without George Lucas. Sure he inst the best director, but that isn't why he does not want to make more Star Wars films, its because people outright hate him and send him hate mail and bash him into the ground. The whole saga was good, and if your whole life revolves around Star Wars just so you can complain about it on the internet, well that's just sad.

Gungans are silly, but Ewoks aren't?

Seriously? you guys are posting on the forum of a game that would never be possible without George Lucas. Sure he inst the best director, but that isn't why he does not want to make more Star Wars films, its because people outright hate him and send him hate mail and bash him into the ground. The whole saga was good, and if your whole life revolves around Star Wars just so you can complain about it on the internet, well that's just sad.

So it's fine to get the money and fame from making films, but not criticism? Lucas is only showing that he's a thin-skinned coward who seems to take criticism as a personal attack, like many immature people tend to do. He's got his billions to keep him comforted, though I guess he's proving that money can't buy you happiness.

Uh... Good? He totally ruined his movies by adding all this digital fluff to the original series, when the original series was awesome by itself with NO additions.

I'm sorry, but it's a good thing he's no longer involved with ANYTHING. Because he just totally RUINS crap. Look at Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull... Ruined crap of nothing. Just Indiana Jones and the remains of an ancient alien with flying saucers!

Uh... Good? He totally ruined his movies by adding all this digital fluff to the original series, when the original series was awesome by itself with NO additions.

I'm sorry, but it's a good thing he's no longer involved with ANYTHING. Because he just totally RUINS crap. Look at Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull... Ruined crap of nothing. Just Indiana Jones and the remains of an ancient alien with flying saucers!

Because nothing else from the Indiana Jones series was ridiculous. Aliens make more sense then ghosts in a box, or some old guy who lived in a cave for hundreds of years without dieing.

So it's fine to get the money and fame from making films, but not criticism? Lucas is only showing that he's a thin-skinned coward who seems to take criticism as a personal attack, like many immature people tend to do. He's got his billions to keep him comforted, though I guess he's proving that money can't buy you happiness.

So he's a thin-skinned coward for taking criticism that isn't constructive ever since TPM came out?

So he's a thin-skinned coward for taking criticism that isn't constructive ever since TPM came out?

Exactly, people just hate on him so much, but they don't realize most of their hate is blind and illegitimate. Obviously the older Star Wars movies were better and had a more profound experience to them, but then new trilogy isnt bad in any sense, and usually people just go to the "Jar'Jar is all i havto say" argument, which is completely invalid when looking at the whole saga.

Telling Lucas that he can't develop characters in films is "non constructive"? Telling Lucas that he can't write decent dialogue for his films is "non constructive"? Asking Lucas why he even took on the task of directing the PT films when he *by his own admission* is not a good storyteller is "non constructive"?

I'm bringing up specifics while you're making a generalization. When you figure out the difference between our arguments, you'll likely see where I'm coming from when I call Lucas a thin-skinned coward.

Edited by RagnarokJC

Exactly, people just hate on him so much, but they don't realize most of their hate is blind and illegitimate. Obviously the older Star Wars movies were better and had a more profound experience to them, but then new trilogy isnt bad in any sense, and usually people just go to the "Jar'Jar is all i havto say" argument, which is completely invalid when looking at the whole saga.

It's funny that the fanboys defending the PT films always accuse the critics of bringing up Jar Jar Binks, when the best reviews of the PT films don't spend much if any time on him. I myself never focus on Jar Jar- I'm not a big fan of his character, but he's the least of the problems with those films as far as I'm concerned.

George Lucas is like the Fred Figglehorn of Science Fiction now. Sure he makes stuff that seems idiotic and shallow to adults but kids will eat that crap up and George is a good business man for going where the bigger market is.

George Lucas just isn't a good story teller anymore. Maybe he is alright for kids but he cannot create good storytelling for a mature audience. If George Lucas wants to focus appealing to kids that is his choice.

Thank god we have competent writers that can deliver a mature Star Wars medium for an adult audiance through Bioware and authors like Timathy Zhan etc.

Edited by mandrillagon

I found this really hilarious. I honestly had no idea about all this trash talk and criticism toward George Lucas over the Star Wars saga until I read about it here and subsequently looked up a few things. Holy crap. What a bunch of incredibly huge nerds out there. Who the **** cares if the something was a little different in one movie from the other or slightly different from some book? Just watch the movie and enjoy it for entertainment and stop getting your nerd panties in a wad because you drool at the thought of anything deviating even one single iota from your precious source material (or any other material).

The same exact issue I've with the Lord of the Rings series. I was a huge fan growing up of Tolkien and read all the books, the Silmarillion, Book of Lost Tales, and so on. And I waited in line for a couple hours every year to get into the movie theater early when the movies were being released. There are still people who complain emphatically about the movie's and any deviations from the source. Jeezuz. Who *********** cares? If the movie was bad (really bad) that would be one thing but no one in their right mind can say the Lord or the Rings trilogy or Star Wars are "bad" movies unless they are some deluded super nerd. Just watch movies for entertainment purposes and stop playing critic. Maybe you will enjoy it more.

I found this really hilarious. I honestly had no idea about all this trash talk and criticism toward George Lucas over the Star Wars saga until I read about it here and subsequently looked up a few things. Holy crap. What a bunch of incredibly huge nerds out there. Who the **** cares if the something was a little different in one movie from the other or slightly different from some book? Just watch the movie and enjoy it for entertainment and stop getting your nerd panties in a wad because you drool at the thought of anything deviating even one single iota from your precious source material (or any other material).

The same exact issue I've with the Lord of the Rings series. I was a huge fan growing up of Tolkien and read all the books, the Silmarillion, Book of Lost Tales, and so on. And I waited in line for a couple hours every year to get into the movie theater early when the movies were being released. There are still people who complain emphatically about the movie's and any deviations from the source. Jeezuz. Who *********** cares? If the movie was bad (really bad) that would be one thing but no one in their right mind can say the Lord or the Rings trilogy or Star Wars are "bad" movies unless they are some deluded super nerd. Just watch movies for entertainment purposes and stop playing critic. Maybe you will enjoy it more.

Translation: Stop using your brain when watching movies.

Sorry, but for some of us, using critical thinking is part of our enjoyment of something, including films.

I agree, it is the critics that ruined the franchise, i loved every single movie, they all fit well, and i even love the animated series, george did a good job, it's everyone else that's an arrogant little sod nowadays, you can't go out your front door without having someone tell you that you're exiting your house wrong.

I'm standing in line with you on that one, pal. I even liked the complete saga of those Star Wars movies myself. I even have these movies owned on Blu-ray as the complete saga box set. Those critics against George Lucas are a total joke.

I'm standing in line with you on that one, pal. I even liked the complete saga of those Star Wars movies myself. I even have these movies owned on Blu-ray as the complete saga box set. Those critics against George Lucas are a total joke.

Agreed.

The movies weren't complete garbage, they were different. The prequels were built very different from most other movies, which I find bold, rather than stupid. People are just so prejudiced about how a movie should be, and even if it is so, then they'll still complain.

Star Wars fans, the ones who hate on characters like Jar Jar Binks shouldn't call themselves Star Wars fans at all, saying he doesn't belong in the Star Wars universe is complete and utter nonsense. Think about this, in a huge universe like Star Wars, would it really be unreasonable to find a character like Jar Jar Binks in that universe?

Stop this prejudiced nonsense and enjoy the universe how it's made, and not how you think it should be (This is not your universe!).

You're absolutely right! At last, I see and hear someone bringing up a good point right on the button. :) And I think Jar Jar Binks is funny.

The difference is a lot of the hate for the LOTR movies had nothing to do with the writing, acting, CGI or directing, which were all top notch. The hate came from obsessed fans who felt the movies deviated too much from the source materials.

The newer Star Wars films are deeply, deeply flawed. The writing was awful and so was a lot of the acting. Several great actors like Samuel L Jackson and Liam Neeson were completely underutilized. The only thing that redeemed the movies at all was the CGI - which btw is quickly becoming dated when compared to the latest generation of sci fi and fantasy films. Yes, maybe people had too high expectations - but it's not a good thing when the best Star Wars movie I've seen in the past 10 years was the opening sequence for SWTOR.

yeah had nothing to do with his obsession of special effects resulting in the prequels being packed with special effects and no focus on characters.

Also had nothing to do with the way he screwed over authors.

He may have given us Star Wars but he's been intent on dismantling the franchise for a while it seems

Well I cant blame the man for being tired of all the criticism. Funny though how all the whiners and critics keep coming back to watch the movies, read the books, play the games and buy more merchandise. Even though I may have found some things a little cheesy at times, I think it was really meant to be that way. I know that when I go to my grave star wars will be one of the things that I will remember most and my family spent a good part of their lives revolving around it. Even if Lucas retires and maybe someone else will step in and make the last three movies it will still have Lucas written all over it. The man has made his way in history no doubt so he has nothing to worry about from those that complain all the time. Just do what makes YOU happy and don't worry about the what others say. Either they will love you for it or they will hate you. If they hate you well then it's their loss I suppose.

As far as changing things with star wars, blue ray, enhanced, 3D or whatever, it gives the community the opportunity to choose what they like best. If you like the old stuff stick with it, if you like the new go for that. It's your choice and no one is forcing your hand either way. I think it's great that he gives us the many options to pick from. Hey , you can't please everyone all the time. Personally I congratulate the man on all his accomplishments and for bringing a galaxy far far away into our lives. /salute George Lucas

Edited by Darthmoriquendi