This incarnation of StarWars online misses out on epic music.

Esresro

This game has good points and bad points, highs and lows but one thing that sticks out for me is the serious lack of epic Star Wars music. With all the $$$ thrown at voice acting you would have thought it went hand in hand with music, right?

Well check out these small samples from the days of SWG...

And the videos related.

These music clips you heard all the time from loading in to new planets or just riding up to star ports on your speeder/swoop

These muisc bites were epic and were the same style from the movies (same orchestra). How did they not add this into the game? Music is what makes a bit part of a game from Star Wars to Grand theft auto.

Eh, nice, but I liked FFXI's more:

If you didn't get the vivid peaceful feeling from this music, I'm sad, but I do get those emotions. :)

And let's not forget, one of the best bosses in the world:

The music, the characters, the battle... epic. <3

You shall be defeated by the Apathy that plagues you.

You shall be consumed by the cowardice that binds you.

you shall be twisted by the Envy that drives you.

You shall be overwhealmed by the arrogance that disfigures you.

You shall be burned by the rage that controls you

Eh, nice, but I liked FFXI's more:

If you didn't get the vivid peaceful feeling from this music, I'm sad, but I do get those emotions. :)

And let's not forget, one of the best bosses in the world:

The music, the characters, the battle... epic. <3

I like. I hope Bioware adds some epic music at some stage

Coming from WoW which has almost NO music, I am pleasantly surprised to have some playing in my ears as I quest. There's even different music types for different parts of quests that are supposed to be more dramatic. It's a big step up from where I came from.

Pretty neat how some specific missions trigger specific music.

Good thread.

Now, I haven't played SWG in years (probably only played for a few months upon release); however, I have noticed one piece of music from SWTOR that sounds really, really familiar and it kept nagging me where I had heard it before. Then I thought it was from SWG.

Is there any music from SWG that has made it into SWTOR?

Coming from WoW which has almost NO music, I am pleasantly surprised to have some playing in my ears as I quest. There's even different music types for different parts of quests that are supposed to be more dramatic. It's a big step up from where I came from.

Wow this is so untrue. That game has some of the most epic and evocative music of ANY game. I only have to hear the music from the starting zones and it takes me back years to when I first played. Have you actually played with the sound on ?

I remember the music in both the Burning Crusade and LK, they totally added to the atmosphere. So either you are deaf or just trolling because if there is one thing WoW did right it was the epic music.

Great thread, I know exactly what you mean. So many amazing Star Wars music tracks are simply unused. This is why Star Wars Galaxies felt more like Star Wars than SWTOR. The music was placed properly..they used the right scores. After all this sound development Bioware spent on music....they did a crappy job of making it work in game.

This game has good points and bad points, highs and lows but one thing that sticks out for me is the serious lack of epic Star Wars music. With all the $$$ thrown at voice acting you would have thought it went hand in hand with music, right?

Well check out these small samples from the days of SWG...

And the videos related.

These music clips you heard all the time from loading in to new planets or just riding up to star ports on your speeder/swoop

These muisc bites were epic and were the same style from the movies (same orchestra). How did they not add this into the game? Music is what makes a bit part of a game from Star Wars to Grand theft auto.

I have to completely disagree with you. I know in-game music is important to a lot of people, but, frankly, one of the first things I do in any game is go to the sound options and turn the music as far down as I can, and I am not the only one who does this. When I run around in real life, I don't have a sound track following me. When I do have music playing, if something important were to happen -- oh, say, like someone trying to disembowel me with a light saber -- I would hardly be concerned about the quality of the music playing at the time.

The truth is, there is enough noise going on between the ambient sounds, the voices, the combat effects, and so on, not to mention trying to hear guild mates in Vent. The last thing I need is music blaring in my ears, too.

I don't dismiss your concern for more epic music if that is something important to you, but music doesn't "make" a game. As far as I am concerned, a game could be produced without any music, and I would not care in the least. Just one less thing to have to adjust.

Definitely agree with this thread. There are some good pieces of music in the game (the scripted music after the last boss of The Foundry is incredible, and Hoth's music is really great), but Star Wars has some of the best movie music ever and overall I think TOR misses out on most of that untapped potential.

Its not just abut adding epic music tracks, they need to START by fixing how the current tracks and pieces are being used. There are so many examples/instances of ridiculous placement of music in TOR there are simply too many to list, total and complete immersion ruin. There is one that just jumps out and makes you go "***?"....its the Order 66 music that randomly plays during the most insignificant of tasks...or just standing there doing nothing. Fix the current horrid state of where and when music plays and then move on to adding stuff, they obviously can't do it right yet so no more.

I'm not sure this is true. I actually liked the music in wow and thought they did a good job. In fact there are a few youtube channels just for the wow music to listen to :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/WoWMusicGuru

I have to completely disagree with you. I know in-game music is important to a lot of people, but, frankly, one of the first things I do in any game is go to the sound options and turn the music as far down as I can, and I am not the only one who does this. When I run around in real life, I don't have a sound track following me. When I do have music playing, if something important were to happen -- oh, say, like someone trying to disembowel me with a light saber -- I would hardly be concerned about the quality of the music playing at the time.

The truth is, there is enough noise going on between the ambient sounds, the voices, the combat effects, and so on, not to mention trying to hear guild mates in Vent. The last thing I need is music blaring in my ears, too.

I don't dismiss your concern for more epic music if that is something important to you, but music doesn't "make" a game. As far as I am concerned, a game could be produced without any music, and I would not care in the least. Just one less thing to have to adjust.

The good thing about the music scores in SWG was that they played at the right time. Like loading into a planet or riding into a shuttle port and the music only lasted 10 seconds or so. It was very "starwarsy"

Back in 2008 I posted several times about how Jeremy Soule the original composer of the first game should be used in this game. Instead they hired a Orchestra and some no-name composers to do this and the difference is night and day. The music in this game is very subtle and ambient compared to Jeremy Soule which was riveting and engaging.

Edited by Marculos

EQ2...real orchestra real music....

There is nothing wrong with digital stuff but i do love me some real orchestra music and it is a step above any other mmo's music i have come across in terms of appeal and originality.

The music in this game is lackluster ..I do love when you use the OH HECK skill to regen and whatnot and there is some epic music but other then that.....meh

Or when you or doing Fodor 9space battle) and the capital ship appears....great timing and a superb choice of music.

IMO they music designers and creators need to infuse this game with some really original SW type music and lay off the 'already heard that in the movies" music.