Does Dark Side Jedi Knight make sense?

defendurname

Companions don't get alignment like PCs. All companions stay neutral which means that unfortunately they can never wear gear with light/dark requirements.

in my experience, this is not true. both my kira and doc wear the boots from the light side vendor on the republic fleet station (requires light II or III i think). I believe your companions are restricted to the same gear as the player character.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my experience, this is not true. both my kira and doc wear the boots from the light side vendor on the republic fleet station (requires light II or III i think). I believe your companions are restricted to the same gear as the player character.

yes, that is my experience as well.

I'm enjoying rolling a Dark Jedi. It's not like your a sith, think of it as, your willing to do whatever it takes to protect and serve the Republic, your able to make the tough decisions that are required for the greater good.

So if there was a scenario where a weapons factory is about to blow up and you have a choice between save the civilians and save the mass weapon. You choose the weapon because it can be used to cripple the Empire.

I'm enjoying rolling a Dark Jedi. It's not like your a sith, think of it as, your willing to do whatever it takes to protect and serve the Republic, your able to make the tough decisions that are required for the greater good.

So if there was a scenario where a weapons factory is about to blow up and you have a choice between save the civilians and save the mass weapon. You choose the weapon because it can be used to cripple the Empire.

Yeah, like this. Or in Esselses when the lady wants to blow those people out of the engineering department to get to the cabin, if you do it, its not that your evil, your doing it for the greater good. I find alot of options are are "good" don't seem good at all, like for example (I can't remember where) but there was a quest (oh commando story line before you get to needles? I think) you reach a mass murder general and you can let him go (light) or kill him (dark), but hes a murder, he should be killed right?

So overall, dark jedi =/= SITH, however, corruption can lead into it IMO

Dark Jedi doesn't mean you're out slaughtering everyone that is innocent.

You could just be looking out for what's best for the Republic and going against the Jedi code. I'd like to think that's what Anakin would have done if he didn't completely get consumed by power and join the sith.

In his mind, he was actually trying to save the Republic from the Jedi who palpatine said were trying to destroy the republic.

Or even Revan, going against the judgment of the council to help the Republic in the war. They eventually fell to the dark side and did some nasty things but you get my point. :cool:

Exactly! It's hard to be a Jedi Knight. So many rules, so many restrictions. I don't understand why so many ppl hate on Anakin. trolls i say.

You know that whole crystal restriction makes no sense to me

Anyone remember in KOTOR when you could make your lightsaber any color?

I mean it's just a crystal, a component in the machine, the color of your saber should have nothing to do with your alignment

There were no 'Jedi' in any star wars movies with a red saber. Only Sith. Maybe that's why?

As far as Companions it becomes a wash.

T7/Kira prone to liking light side choices only

Scourge/Rusk prone to only liking DS choices only

Doc prone to light side, but a fair share of DS works for him too as he is a scoundrel.

I would argue that though they are called Dark Side points and alignment for a Jedi your really just gravitating towards a less diplomatic position.

Mace Windu is more of what you end up as. Mace Windu was going to kill Palpatine/Sidius as he said "he is far to dangerous alive" this is after he appears to have beaten him into submission, this is not exactly what you expect from a true follower of the Light Side, but it is a valid choice in protecting the Light.

The Jedi story choices that award DS points tend to be in the "for the greater good you must be eliminated" more than the "I'm only doing this for power and passion" Sith reasoning.

Your Jedi DS choices are always as a reaction to the situation you are in.

The Esseles is a good example of that, you get DS points if you blow the engineers out the airlock, or leave the Diplomat behind, but these aren't truly dark choices if you honestly feel the only way to save the people on the Esseles is to make that hard choice.

As Yoda said, A Jedi does not seek these things that's the difference in us taking DS vs LS points and a true Sith

Sarge Rusk wasn't a Dark sider, just a hardline trooper. He has a reasonable amount of affection with me and I'm mostly light. He didn't like when I wasn't extreme or put the rest of my team before the mission that's for sure.

"So overall, dark jedi =/= SITH, however, corruption can lead into it IMO "

Sith can only be Sith with the help of other Sith, it's an order with it's own customs not just being an evil misguided Jedi. In all fairness I think the storyline as it is(unless there's another ending) wouldn't make that much sense at the end... You're decorated and given the rank of Master by the High Master of the order, why would they do that with a guy who killed everyone and broke the code more than once? Right, Anakin and everyone around him not noticing the same stuff happening. But Yoda was very clear when he mentioned more than once that their sight was extremely clouded by the Emperor's Influence. I haven't seem mention of the same effect in the game.

Light/Dark =/= Good/Evil.

A light Jedi follows the code. It's a way of life, and they wouldn't break it for anything. Not many Jedis can call themself 100% light.

A Dark jedi will break off the code, for own reasons. This does not mean they go out like a maniac and murder everybody, and apply for apprenticeship under a Sith lord.

That said, the Jedi Light/Dark options are the worse I've seen. You are either a doormat for everybody to walk on, and are the little chore boy who wants to be a priest. I see no leadership or leader in that kind of person, just a mindless doormat.

Then we got the Dark options. I don't now, you act like this unstable dude, who the council are not sure what to do with. It's like you havn't made up your mind: Being a Sith or being a Jedi.

For me, I had to go Neutral as a Jedi. Only because some options are nothing but naive. "If you as much as blink without me saying so, you are on yout way to the dark side!!!111". eh... You know what? Screw you!

I am also not being an idiot to fellow Padawans at Tython, by getting the 1 dude expelled for helping him, for telling on the romance and I am sure as heck not letting anybody live after they try to murder me.

Also, even if I am more a "good" guy, who goes towards the light side, I cant help it: Some of the dark side options are awesome! Good for a laugh here and there.

I am also not being an idiot to fellow Padawans at Tython, by getting the 1 dude expelled for helping him, for telling on the romance and I am sure as heck not letting anybody live after they try to murder me.

Then you don't understand the Jedi at all, the romance part is kinda troublesome and weird, but couldn't you see the guy was being corrupted when he tried to bribe you? The other guy learned nothing when he asked you to help him, you've lied for him and just helped him advance into greater failure, instead of being discharged now he'll likely die in a more dangerous way further ahead. And revenge is the antithesis to everything the Jedi believe in, so... Go Sith Warrior?

Being Dark side influenced will get you expelled if not worse. Everyone has dark side points, do you think Obi-wan was calm and concentrated when he murdered Darth Maul? He was pissed off and desperate because of Qui-gon's death, this doesn't make him an evil dark sider, but clearly some of the options you're given in the game just make you unfit for Jedi life, especially when/if your eyes turn into yellow and you are getting paler under the influence of the dark side.

About the crystal colour, red crystals are mostly artificial crystals made especially by the Sith and they have a few different properties. It's also considered an aggressive colour and the trademark of the fallen. Why in the blazes would the Jedi wield it?

Edited by Lightmaguz

• 3 weeks later...
The dark-side always lead to the dark-side. Makes absolutely no sense of a dark-side Jedi. Every Jedi that fell to the dark-side became a sith lord, ie Darth Vader. And the ones that fell to the darkside but came back to the light side was no longer dark. So a Sith lord posing as a Jedi Knight is utterly ridiculous.

Not ridiculous at all, the difference between sith and jedi was not always obvious, before the sith order was created you could be a jedi and still be completely in touch with the dark side, know all of it, use it, etc. The term for this was Dark Jedi or Fallen Jedi, it is completely plausible to roll a jedi and go darkside. Not every single jedi gone dark has become a sith lord.

I tend to disagree. The dark jedi is still a good guy, but gets things done a different way. Dark jedi does not equal sith.

Wrong.

Dark Jedi and Sith difference is that:

Dark Jedi is a Jedi, who turned to the Dark Side and don't have to be part of Sith religion or Empire. In fact, Dark Jedi is also someone who have Sith title, but was a part of Jedi order before.

Sith is someone, who is Sith by race or religion. You can born a Sith (Pureblooded) or you can become a Sith after joining them.

For a few examples, Naga Sadow or Darth Maul were Sith, but Darth Vader was both Sith and Dark Jedi.

Asajj Ventress was a Dark Jedi and never became a Sith (because there were only two - Dooku and Palpatine).

Jedi who is able to sacrifice everything for greater good etc. is Gray Jedi. Like Revan.

About Dark Sided Jedi - I play Sith, but want to make Jedi. Propably Dark Sided, because Light don't feat to me. I expect that Light Sided Jedi is ''old wise man'' style - you forgive everything, give credits itp. - the way of stupid one.

Dark Side as Jedi is clear thinkin - if someone is too dangerous to be alive, he have to die for greater good. If it is jedi dark side than it's more logical than light one

Edited by powersl

Eh even if you are chosing dark/light choices that go against your companions views it shouldn't be to hard to keep their affection up assuming you aren't trying to RP it or something. For example, my trooper was darkside every time that choice came up, however he was very respectful of chain of command and didn't choose the ahole choice if there was no dark choice. Generally speaking you will get more affection gain/loss just based off non dark/light choices. Sure the dark light choices might be worth more affection but in the long wrong non dark/light choices carry a great deal more weight.

Just as an example as a trooper 1st choice +15 for pro republic 2nd +15 for duty 3rd 0 4th choice +15 duty 5th +15 moral 6th dark side choice kill the guy for being a traitor -1 to -30 at worst. This would still net you +30 in a worst case scenario. Most likely +59.

All companions stay neutral which means that unfortunately they can never wear gear with light/dark requirements.

This is incorrect. You can put light/dark gear on them but I think you have to meet the alignment requirements yourself.

As to companions, why do people act like you can't switch out the ones you want when you're doing certain dialogues? And if you mess up and lose massive points, ESC out.

Edited by Aeryl

This is incorrect. You can put light/dark gear on them but I think you have to meet the alignment requirements yourself.

As to companions, why do people act like you can't switch out the ones you want when you're doing certain dialogues? And if you mess up and lose massive points, ESC out.

That is correct. My companions on my shadow can wear light gear based on my alignment.

Light/Dark =/= Good/Bad =/= Pragmatic/Paragon

You can be a servitor of light and yet be "bad" , empire LS for example.

You fight for the empire , for your home etc etc yet you also fight for slavery/genocide and such.

You can also be a darksider and fight for "good" , example "save the mass destructive weapon" , which will kills hundreds of hundreds of "bad guys" and many innocents along , that's beeing pragmatic like in Mass Effect.

So yeah you can have a "Dark Jedi" and work for the greater good .

Revan IS DA exemple :

-he went to war to save the republic from the mando

-he felt to the darkside and tried to take over the republic BECAUSE he knew that they wouldn't be strong enough to fight agaisnt the True Sith .

He became a Sith Lord yet he fought for greater good.

And last , please , Luke is not a dark jedi , it's not because you had a brief moment where you were "angry" that you became a dark jedi...

If you think so , then Luke is a Sith since he became the Emperor apprentice in Dark Empire...

LOL , luke on a scale of ten , is at 12 in goodness...

(Just look at him in FOTJ...)

And Katarn is not a Dark Jedi , he is a Unifying force user , much different and he's not pragmatic like a dark jedi would be...

• 2 weeks later...
I like to look at the LS DS scale in the game differently. If you are a jedi and you are all the way dark side I look at it as you are as dark side as a LS Jedi can get without switching sides. So it's like you are grey like Windo. Make since? And if you are LS Sith you are you are as light side as a Sith can get without switching sides. You still use emotion but you dont just go out killing peps for no reason. But you a still Sith. Make since? You have to look at the scale umm...scaled. With the extreme actually being the middle of the overall scale.

Title says it all. I'm rolling a JK, probably sentinel, and thinking of going dark side as a change of pace but not sure if the dark side story/choices make sense for a JK? Would the story be better if I was light side?

No and to that end, players should "fall" or "turn" when favoring light/dark side choices.

I.e. Start off Jedi, fall to the dark-side, become KOS (kill on sight) to Republic NPCs.

Too easy

I'm level 50 and I have yet to put on a light required item on and from what I have been seeing, I probably never will. The orange gear that the dark/light vendors are in the end cosmetic, just like the social gear is. The only other thing youd miss out on is I guess the crappy leveling relics from Treasure hunting.

And the relic thing is pretty easy to circumvent by assembling matrix cubes.

The sith and jedi are just organizations that people follow by the code lifestyle ect expect we know half the time a sith is a sociopath.

But look at revan he fell to the dark side didn't want to join the sith because he was patriotic about the republic so assumed the Dark Lord split the republic between sith and republic to seize it and prepare it for the Empire. He became a Necessary evil for the greater good so yea a dark side jedi does make sense