The question of the month: Will you keep your subscription up? and why?

Nasq

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I have an end-game 50 doing ops, pvp, dailies, etc. on Republic side. I have two lowbies on the Empire side, one of which was scratched and re-rolled at 15. I took almost a month off from work around Christmas last year, so I have quite a bit of /played time. But now I can only spend 2-4 hours a night. So there's still a ton for me to do.

And with the 1.2 update, better character gear customization, revamped UI, and more end-game stuff I'll be here in the short run. With future updates/expansions, level cap increases, and additional worlds I'll be here in the long run too.

Personally I'm finished. It was a great game, I would like to play through the other classes but, I don't know if I can justify $15 a month (yeah I know it's cheaper if you commit) to play a game I already purchased just for the satisfaction of completing solo content.

I don't know if you can comment in this thread if you haven't reach 50 with one class. Maybe if you are only putting in 2 or 3 hours a week this game will work out for you in the long run (though you may want to examine your enjoyment per $ ratio in that case). Bioware is a great game maker, but they don't know anything about MMORPGs.

If anyone is interested (and I know you aren't) the key to making a great MMORPG is to create the most comfortable hamster wheel with automated rewards combined with a vibrant moving backdrop. That's all it is. A hamster wheel, a time sink, finis.

Bioware is a great game maker, but they don't know anything about MMORPGs.

If anyone is interested (and I know you aren't) the key to making a great MMORPG is to create the most comfortable hamster wheel with automated rewards combined with a vibrant moving backdrop. That's all it is. A hamster wheel, a time sink, finis.

This x 1000. Bioware got it all wrong. Skyrim is more time consuming than SWTOR.

Imagine a TES MMORPG.... drool.

This x 1000. Bioware got it all wrong. Skyrim is more time consuming than SWTOR.

Imagine what TOR could have been: exploring the galaxy with a Star Wars backdrop. Less instanced and more sandbox. That would have been awesome.

But *alas*, I still enjoy TOR for its storylines and a sprinkling of MMO elements and themes as an "amusement park". But I'm still waiting for a galactic sandbox game (and no, not interested in EVE).

Edited by cipher_nemo

Personally I'm finished. It was a great game, I would like to play through the other classes but, I don't know if I can justify $15 a month (yeah I know it's cheaper if you commit) to play a game I already purchased just for the satisfaction of completing solo content.

I don't know if you can comment in this thread if you haven't reach 50 with one class. Maybe if you are only putting in 2 or 3 hours a week this game will work out for you in the long run (though you may want to examine your enjoyment per $ ratio in that case). Bioware is a great game maker, but they don't know anything about MMORPGs.

I think that's entirely the wrong way to think about MMOs. For one thing there are much more addictive things than hamster wheels. And hamster wheels give the hamster exercise.

No, I will not keep my subscription up. I really wanted to but I just can't. To borrow a phrase I have seen multiple times on this forum, "this game has no soul". That sums up my feelings. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to care for lack of a better word, about my characters. I feel like I am just going through the motions, killing time when I play.

I started playing right after Christmas so my first 30 days ended in at the end of January yet I stopped playing around January 5th. I attributed this to just "being busy" and figured I would get back to playing. When my sub was about to expire, I added another month because I knew I wanted to get back into it. Well, again, I haven't even been on in over a month.

I thought maybe I am just burned out on mmo's and that's why I am not enjoying this game. I came to the forums and was hoping to read something that would inspire me to want to play. Instead, I found myself agreeing with all the negative comments. I wanted to love this game and it just didn't happen. I keep telling myself that maybe I will come back in a few months and give it another shot, but deep down I know that this just isn't the game for me.

Edited by dangerousdomino

* -- Just to note, I play a few hours a night. Normally well after my kids go to bed and sometimes after my wife has. I don't consider myself a power gamer, but I did basically "solo" this game to 50 and have "end game" gear.

I'm on the fence. I'm at cap, 56 valor, full pvp gear. I don't have a lot of time to "raid" so I do what I can, but that's a filler for me. I like questing, exploring and crafting too. (PVP is a given).

• We can't explore (theme park)
  • Crafting is subpar (RE RNG is craptacular)
  • Champ/BM bags suck (RNG again)
  • Only 4 stories to work through and they're easy

Now, I don't know what it takes to make a game, but as a software engineer, I know the life cycle. I'm POSITIVE I could come up with some SOLID fixes for this game and there HAS to be someone like me working for BW right? (right?....)

This game has so much potential and I'm done already, nothing left for me but to grind crafting (to RE), Dailies (for comms), PVP (for comms, valor and bags) and finally ignore my family for ops/raids.

I'll come back and add a list of "suggestions" when I have more time (so it's not just a QQ fest).

Swijr

I'm in doubt whether to cancel it or not; for the moment it's on cancel.

I find it funny the James Ohlen quote was in there; I can still remember that quote very well; it was repeated many times: "Star Wars The Old Republic will be all about heroic combat" (Dallas Dickinson). When I followed this game halfway around 2009 I really thought this game was going to be great. But I'm disappointed. I think WoW was a great template to start at, but unfortunately they haven't (dared to) move[d] away from it. There's my great disappointment. What's the great innovation of this game? I can only name three:

- Voiced NPC's and PC's.

- Storyline

- Companions (although most games have pet classes, which in mechanic come down to the same)

I enjoyed those elements (even though I think that some voice acting wasn't bad, but wrongly allocated so that the VO's at a great many times sounded awkward - The female Smuggler has a self gloating line that's just too appalling to listen to, for being so out of place - and not just once). The storyline for some classes (Consular? Ugh) was bad (although all in all the Republic is getting shafted in story, mirror abilities and aestetics). The other 'missions' were just Teldrassil Boar killing missions of fetch '10 sniper guns' (Rep, Tatooine) or defeat 10 attackers of gun x, y and z (Alderaan, Rep). Except for the Planet storyline quests, there wasn't much special or 'heroic' about them.

That's a bloody shame in my opinion (and that's apart from a class that I really like in terms of mechanics - Sawbones -, but which is so out of balance when compared to other classes that I find it not suprising that some evenings I encounter premades consisting solely out of sorcerers). Lack of communication by the dev's is kind of annoying as well. What are they working on? At least Blizzard communicated "Working as intended" and then you knew you were screwed for the coming months (Arcane Missiles took them a while to figure out).

Yes, I will keep subscribing a while. I budget about $20-50 a month for either new games or subscriptions. This game will get $15. FWIW, I don't buy many new games. Therefore games I do buy get a lot of subscriptions.

The best ever was Lotro which gave me a one time fee for lifetime. That is the best deal ever. Login and play once a year if I want and has been paid out of my budget.

Edited by Dawgtide

Will i continue my sub?

Yes.

All the people saying they wont renew their sub, have played wow.

The sole reason why those people dont want to sub any more, is because its "not as good as wow".

Youre expecting a 2 month old game to be as good as an 8 year old game (or something like that), well its not.

I have patience. I believe this game will turn out great in the long run, just got to give it some time. Games arent created or even perfected over night, this happens over YEARS - i.e. WOW

WRONG! I cancelled my subscription. Ends today. Didn't play WoW. Played EQ, DOAC, EQ2 and SWG. Loved all of them.

Can't stand this abomination of a linear, play-the-way-we-want-you-to-play MMO. BORING!!

Now, I don't know what it takes to make a game, but as a software engineer, I know the life cycle. I'm POSITIVE I could come up with some SOLID fixes for this game and there HAS to be someone like me working for BW right? (right?....)

Swijr

There are people like you working for Bioware.. The problem is that EA now produces and oversees this project. EA cares about one thing only... cash. There are so many bureaucratical controls on this game now via LucasArts and EA that nothing meaningful will get accomplished to turn this game around.

Been canceled, just waiting for my subscription to run out!!! (too bad I paid for 3 months)

Why?

I've already written several posts on why but I'll throw up a few points:

- Crappy customer service

- Lack of REAL communication from developers

- Patches are slow and seem to break more things than they fix

- Archaic UI

- Lack of things to do at level cap (yes I have datacrons, world bosses, gear, maxed profs, maxed companion affection, daily commendation gear, and alts)

- Empty, static, linear, lifeless world

- Many missing quality-of-life features

- Massive amount of bugs I've endured. Why did I pay you just to beta test your game?!?!

Edited by Nymaeria

Been canceled, just waiting for my subscription to run out!!! (too bad I paid for 3 months)

Why?

I've already written several posts on why but I'll throw up a few points:

- Crappy customer service

- Lack of REAL communication from developers

- Patches are slow and seem to break more things than they fix

- Archaic UI

- Lack of things to do at level cap (yes I have datacrons, world bosses, gear, maxed profs, maxed companion affection, daily commendation gear, and alts)

- Empty, static, linear, lifeless world

- Many missing quality-of-life features

- Massive amount of bugs I've endured. Why did I pay you just to beta test your game?!?!

The customer service thing was the final straw for me. I thought back to how many times I had to contact Blizzard support or an in-game GM over the 7 years I played WoW and realized that I don't want to play an MMO with crappy CS.

People complain about Blizzard support, but I have yet to see a game company that had better in game GMs or out of game tech support. I've posted threads on the WoW tech support forums and had a blue poster answer me 5-10 minutes later and had the problem resolved within 30 minutes. This has happened on major patch days too.

Myself, my fiance and about 15-20 of our friends all unsubbed. Most returned to other games. For the majority of us we went back to Rift and are having a great time. It has lots to do end game and makes doing stuff very convenient/fun, but still rewards the time you spend in it. Nothing ever feels like a 'grind' cause you get rewards very often on your way to the main prize (for instance in pvp). The LFD tool is excellent, as is instant adventure.

Basically Trion came out with an 'ok' game and in the course of a year has made it excellent. They did that by aggressively expanding content and having lots and lots of large patches. They had huge things out within 2 months of release.

All I heard from SWTOR so far is

A) legacy system will be..something?

B) something with space combat some day

C) guild banks

Woo?

Theres nothing to do at 50, regardless of what fan boys and girls say. MMO's are about long term content, and having nothing to do at the end game is the #1 way to lose your players.

WRONG! I cancelled my subscription. Ends today. Didn't play WoW. Played EQ, DOAC, EQ2 and SWG. Loved all of them.

Can't stand this abomination of a linear, play-the-way-we-want-you-to-play MMO. BORING!!

Exactly. People keep comparing this game to WoW when someone brings up negative aspects, claiming anyone that is against it must like WoW.

I play EVE and Rift and I love both. They give me what I want; fun.

SWTOR is boring after the first few levels to be frank. Its just fetch quests with voice overs. Your choices mean nothing in terms of your 'story', the ending is always the seem and is irrelevant. Companion interaction means nothing in the end game.

Once you hit 50 all the story elements just stop meaning anything. You are left with at terrible end game pvp and pve system, or sitting around doing nothing.

I'm a good gamer. I level fast. while enjoying the story, maxing pvp and maxing raiding. by this i mean i have RL issues and work during the day and play at night. I sacrifice sleep, but i'm used to it being a hardcore raider when i was a kid in EQ. Now will i keep my sub? untill march when they say they'll fix everything. I've never seen a game where faction inbalance was this huge for so long. Talents not working. I'ts a big deal. I play with some old gaming friends on another server ..and i enjoy that since we're buddies. Much more than my raiding guild that downs everything at one night.

Would be great but unless my mind is playing tricks on me I think they tried once before with Battlespire which was a mess. Hopefully all other single player game designers can see the mess an excelent RPG game designer made when they tried to enter the MMO genre with out thinking "what would make a great MMO" and "What more do we have to offer than a single person game with an internet connection".

However would love to see an elder scrolls MMO just would have to hope they would not ruin the series with a crap MMO game just to cash in.