The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Swtor's Secret Space Project Speculation

DesktopMinion

I'm hoping so, been crying after space combat since Freelancer.

However can't imagine doing space combat with current ships, AKA slow turning corvette class.

Perhaps fighters will be introduced.

You need to buy FreeSpace 2 off gog.com and download the HD graphics mod(s). Makes the game (not the menues though :() look like it came 1-2 years ago.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking of ways the core, existing, engine can be modified in a reasonable span of time. I think it's very likely a full, free-flight, space game will appear at some point, just not in the next year.

More ships, with different base performances (speed, armor, weapons, shield).

Multiplayer rails, with some kind of aid/buff other players ("I shoot kolto missiles at your SHIP!")

Upgrades that have more complex tradeoffs of functionality.

Class powers that impact your ship -- bounty hunter can mount unusual weapons, Jedi can use the Force to increase their shields.

Cosmetics -- change color and pattern of your ship.

Space missions that interact with ground quests, where you need to fight through a space mission to go from one part of the quest to the next.

I really hope we get some better space options in this game. I also played SWG for years just for the space content and I was disappointed with what they came up with for this game.

I want to fly my ship untethered.

The space content is not even worthy of its own forum. That is how much was put into it.

My guesses (without actually having tried the current space combat yet):

• Group space combat missions allowing you to fly two or more spaceships in the same mission
  • Group space combat missions, allowing players to fly the same ship with 1 pilot and 1 or more gunners
  • Guild ships, destroyers or something

Exploration would be fantastic but doesn't feel like it would fit, yet.

Hey Forum,

Firstly let me direct your attention to this link.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/what%E2%80%99s-next-old-republic

"We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way..."

What do you guys think this 'Special Project' will turn out to be?...personally i think it might be some sort of pvp based OFF RAILS space combat.

Please understand that this thread is for pure speculation and nothing here will be confirmed unless posted by a developer.

Let the speculation begin...

Why they would work on so-called "special projects" instead of fixing all the bugs that have been in since the Beta is beyond me... But then again, look who the project lead is...

In terms of a space combat related PVP gamemode, i think they should just rip Battlefront 2's space combat RIGHT out and plonk it into a PVP match.

• Start off on faction ship (Either Republic or Empire obviously) and get in a ship and start dogfighting in OFF RAILS combat.
  • Head toward enemy ship and land in docking bay, jumping out and heading to the ship's defences (Shields etc)
  • After depleting enemy shields you work with your team to sabotage the hyperspace engine.
  • After the objective above has been completed you can place charges on the main engine and blow the ship sky high.

Bare in mind that this kind of gamemode would need around 30-40 player PVP game.

THIS! Combining space combat with normal ground combat in both PvP and PvE scenarios would be awesome.

Why they would work on so-called "special projects" instead of fixing all the bugs that have been in since the Beta is beyond me... But then again, look who the project lead is...

because, and hold on this may blow your fragile mind, DIFFERENT people work on content updates and bug fixes

IF they do free-flight, and that's a big IF, I would hope they would put in support for all the different peripherals out there for flight sims. I have a Saitek x52pro and rudder pedals, it saddens me that the only game I have that both will work for is IL2 1946. They don't work for X3, no pedal support for X-W:A, Freespace 2, there was none for JTL either.

Support for Black Prophecy was also pretty bad.

mouse and keyboard do not a good flight experience make.

Here is the thing that gripes me to this day . EA bought the company that created my childhood favorite games . It was free form ( not on rails ) space combat and was YEARS ahead of its time combat and just overall gameplay wise . While consoles and pc gaming were in there infancy , they were pushing story telling , charachter attachment , a bioware trademark . The games had a cult following , even a movie produced after it . A great story , awesome combat way ahead of its time , all for what ?

The kick in the crotch is the company is now honored by being the name of our download service ( Origin we build worlds ) . Yes , I'm talking about none other than Wing Commander http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_(video_game) which EA bought out and later dissolved .

With a team that talented that produced one of the best space simulation video games IMO ever , how can you not have them working on SWTOR space combat , or at least have them consult with the team ? What they did in that era with that technology was absolutely amazing , when you look at the crap we have today .

Wing Commander was one of those games that got me into gaming , and I would hope that EA would have the common sense to have them lend a hand , if members of the team still exist within EA .

Not to mention Origin was also responsible for Ultima http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_Systems

Edited by ProphetX

Eve style space flight scares the hell out of me. Your the Captain of your ship, but not the *pilot* Hit a button to set your course, what passes for dogfighting is "click here to circle the other ship and shoot at it." I quit Eve after less than a day. X-Wing vs Tie Fighter is the way to go!

I really can't see it, but I hope they take space off rails and allow us to fly around, PvP in space, collect resources from asteroid fields etc. But yeah, can't see that happening ever, so I'll expect something like "You can buy new ships!" or "2 player space missions!".