RESPEC costs why?

savantus

Because it prevents whiners like you changing specs every two seconds because of the mere possibility that "that" is the spec flavor of the moment. Make a choice, own it, stick with it, and learn to play it. Or better yet,s top whining and play the game for fun not to stroke your own ego at someone else's expense

One of the most ignorant posts I've seen on these forums.

You might be able to get away with this if there weren't classes with multiple roles. However, the majority of the classes in the game fill multiple roles.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be able to get away with this if there weren't classes with multiple roles. However, the majority of the classes in the game CAN fill multiple roles.

Went ahead and fixed that for you. Classes have the possibility to do many things but it is pretty clear the game wants you to choose only one of those. If you want to be a Sawbones Scoundrel for PVP healing then do that but don't expect to be able to effortless pick-up and go raid later as a dps. You made a PVP HEALING character, so fulfill that role.

I should be able to respec any time I want to. They are my characters. I paid for them. Why does anyone care what I'm doing with my characters?

You can, and we are not stopping you. HOWEVER we must pay the people training you to fill this new role. It takes time and resources which cost money. Those holocubes aren't cheep.

This game is way more lenient when it comes to your roll. Tanks can dps fine, healers can dps fine, tank abilities have use in pvp. If you wish to min/max for every aspect of the game this is the price you pay for performance.

You can, and we are not stopping you. HOWEVER we must pay the people training you to fill this new role. It takes time and resources which cost money. Those holocubes aren't cheep.

This game is way more lenient when it comes to your roll. Tanks can dps fine, healers can dps fine, tank abilities have use in pvp. If you wish to min/max for every aspect of the game this is the price you pay for performance.

LOL... No, I mean. I should be able to go to the Respec NPC and ummmmm... respec. Whenever I want. The cost should be nominal. Something in line with travel or repairs. I have no idea why it's prohibitive. It just seems really really random to me.

You might be able to get away with this if there weren't classes with multiple roles. However, the majority of the classes in the game fill multiple roles.

No, the majority of the classes have multiple roles to choose from. Difference.

LOL... No, I mean. I should be able to go to the Respec NPC and ummmmm... respec. Whenever I want. The cost should be nominal. Something in line with travel or repairs. I have no idea why it's prohibitive. It just seems really really random to me.
You know...you're right.

I paid for my character, too. Why can't I just change classes and get unlimited money?

What do you care?

It's not just an MMO, it's also an RPG.

You create a ROLE and you play that ROLE.

You want to be able to heal and tank? No problem. Create a healer and a tank.

All this whining about respeccing comes down to people being too lazy to level multiple characters and expect one character to be able to do everything.

Respeccing, if it should even be allowed at all, should be BRUTALLY expensive. Like say, 1 million the first time, and doubling every time after that with no reset.

THINK about what selections you're making, and stick with them.

Oh, you specced DPS and they need a healer? Guess what? You lose your slot to someone who leveled a healer. As it should be.

I remember when RPGs actually made you pick a role and that's the role you played...if you wanted to play another role, you created another character. Sadly, it seems today's gamer wants to be able to do it all with just one character. Being allowed to casually hop between two completely different playstyle roles (DPS and healer) in a RPG, pretty much defeats what a RPG (well a true RPG) is all about. The dumbing down of the genre continues...

I remember when RPGs actually made you pick a role and that's the role you played...if you wanted to play another role, you created another character. Sadly, it seems today's gamer wants to be able to do it all with just one character. Being allowed to casually hop between two completely different playstyle roles (DPS and healer) in a RPG, pretty much defeats what a RPG (well a true RPG) is all about. The dumbing down of the genre continues...

Careful, you will have all the ADHD folk here complaining about how actually playing the game is "tedious" and interferes with their "quality of life".

Exactly.

IMO, fans of the traditional MMO genre need to fight these kinda of changes. What you will get if you let free respecing in this game is , free class changes in the next, and before you know it the MMO genre is nothing more than a half assed lobby based FPS, where you jump in the game, pick class/spec to play and join a queue to get into a fight with people you'll never play with again.

Edited by Vydor_HC

Hmmm I at one point went to respec. it cost me 5.6k credits this time; not a big deal. I ran off, tried it out a bit but didn't like my new choice it at all. I went back to respec and it cost me 900 credits.

This is an outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait.

You know...you're right.

I paid for my character, too. Why can't I just change classes and get unlimited money?

What do you care?

Well you get eight character slots so you can play any class you want... and I honestly don't care what you are doing in the game. Why would I care what class you are? Why would I care how many credits you have?

I don't get it.

I haven't respec'd for two weeks and my respec cost was near the 5 digit range.

Did not reset every week.

If you wait a week between respecs, it resets to zero after you pay whatever # of credits you are currently on.

Mine did it last night, and I was pleasantly surprised. :)

Well you get eight character slots so you can play any class you want... and I honestly don't care what you are doing in the game. Why would I care what class you are? Why would I care how many credits you have?

I don't get it.

I don't want to level 8 characters. I want one character and I can just change my class based on what I feel like doing.

I can't understand why people can't just dedicate to certain role, when thanks to companions you can easily quest as healer/tank too, and tanks are viable in PvP.

*shrug*

What happens when a group needs something in a multi-player game? Why should classes with multiple roles be penalized for accommodating their group by having to pay a lot of coin to be accommodating?

SW:ToR should take a page from Guild Wars 2. You can respec anywhere in the world when out of combat. If you think about it, this allows devs to be WAY more creative with mob spawns. What worked against a few mobs in a zone, may not work against other mobs and you may have to switch your tactics. Variety is called the spice of life. Making respecs double in price and having to use an NPC to do so limits variety. If you don't want it this way and want to be locked in to one role, then why do you care if others get to switch up their play style at will?

Edited by IasonEvan

I haven't respec'd for two weeks and my respec cost was near the 5 digit range.

Did not reset every week.

It does. I don't know what to tell you. /bug it?

You must have not waited a whole week.

What happens when a group needs something in a multi-player game? Why should classes with multiple roles be penalized for accommodating their group by having to pay a lot of coin to be accommodating?

Because respec is not dual-spec.

Dual spec is on the way. That doesn't mean you can treat the respec feature as an on-demand dual-spec substitute. If that's what you want to use it for, then be prepared to pay out the butt.

Edited by Azurewind

I don't want to level 8 characters. I want one character and I can just change my class based on what I feel like doing.

LOL... I love it. OK this goes both ways.

You should have to play during 7PM to 11PM CST because if you don't you are avoiding peak times and you are impacting my experience.

I can't understand why people can't just dedicate to certain role, when thanks to companions you can easily quest as healer/tank too, and tanks are viable in PvP.

*shrug*

Because pvp as a tank or healer all the time can get extremely boring, and not everyone wants to do that.

I MT for our guild but pvping all week between raids as a tank spec makes me want to /wrists after a while.

God forbid you think about what you are doing when respeccing

You certainly wouldn't want to DPS to help your friends and then heal later when someone has to leave and you can only get a DPS to replace the healer, right?

Respec costs exist for one reason: To discourage group activity and cost money; encouraging solo activity to grind money. When a game sheds huge numbers of subs, solo activity becomes more and more important to keeping the remaining subscriptions active. Sadly it's another thing that became tradition in MMOs, and while more forward companies do away with it the more primitive MMOs that have come along with far less thought involved in them keep the tradition alive and ill.

You certainly wouldn't want to DPS to help your friends and then heal later when someone has to leave and you can only get a DPS to replace the healer, right?

Respec costs exist for one reason: To discourage group activity and cost money; encouraging solo activity to grind money. When a game sheds huge numbers of subs, solo activity becomes more and more important to keeping the remaining subscriptions active. Sadly it's another thing that became tradition in MMOs, and while more forward companies do away with it the more primitive MMOs that have come along with far less thought involved in them keep the tradition alive and ill.

I have a crazy idea, so please try and keep up. Find someone...who is specced...as a healer...to replace your healer. :o

Edited by Manjiyomi_Jun
typo

LOL... I love it. OK this goes both ways.

You should have to play during 7PM to 11PM CST because if you don't you are avoiding peak times and you are impacting my experience.

Well that's silly. Me having one character that I can change classes on doesn't affect you at all, does it?

You trying to schedule my playtime does affect me, though. You've just introduced a grapefruit into a discussion of apples.

Careful, you will have all the ADHD folk here complaining about how actually playing the game is "tedious" and interferes with their "quality of life".

I object!

Actually ADHD folks probably have 16 characters minimum. Each Class on each faction with both AC.

I actually knew a guy in World of Warcraft with 5 hunters...

Hehe, that's not the way class-based RPGs work.

You have the flexibility within each advanced class to perform at least two trinity roles. BioWare gives you a method to re-spec.

That, in my opinion, is more than enough.