3.Yoda

4.Mace Windu

5.Obi wan Kenobi

6.Annakin Skywalker

7.Cyn Drallig

8.Exile

9.Satele Shan

10. Ki Andi Mundi

For Vader/Revan, I'm not putting them on top of both lists because I'd say Revan was mainly a Jedi and Vader was mainly a Sith.

I like this list, but I don't really buy Darth Tyrannus as a great Sith. I can't base this on any facts, but watching Count Dracula swing his sword around huffing for Oxygen is painful to watch.

Another thing, Darth Maul is the most Underrated Sith. He had to die because Lucas wrote himself into a hole. Not only that, Maul beat Qui Gon Jin and Obiwan, but Obiwan was lucky Qui Gon was lying nearby. Darth Maul should have come back in Clone Wars because (like I said earlier) I hate Count Dooku as a bad guy....not a wizard.

and to the guy above me---- Maul Keeps coming back. Clone Wars, comic books, and he gets revived by some cult who's obsessed with him, so I think if he gets infinity chances he would beat anyone. Even if infinity chances isn't reasonable, it still could happen.

and Darth Bane? the guy you beat like 1/4 of the way through KOTOR? no no no... he's not a challenge. Your character beats him and like 2 or 3 other lackeys of his, and then you have to fight a squad of mandalorians as you run through the forest? I doubt Darth Bane would be so easy to get over if he was a top 10 Sith.

Edited by Gantoris_Aym

and to the guy above me---- Maul Keeps coming back. Clone Wars, comic books, and he gets revived by some cult who's obsessed with him, so I think if he gets infinity chances he would beat anyone. Even if infinity chances isn't reasonable, it still could happen.

Blammo!

Darth Bane gets my vote due to his power of manipulation, and in Sith Sorcery. He manipulated the Brotherhood of Darkness into their own destruction, and even when Darth Zannah struck him down, he still cast his soul into her.

Darth Bane failed in his attempt to take over Darth Zannahs body. This was confirmed by Drew Karpyshyn. This was determined the other day when I asked the question of who actually won, a link was posted with the official word from the authors mouth. Darth Zannah won.

Also in the book Dynasty of Evil, while Bane was powerful, he considered Zannah to be stronger than him at Sith Sorcery. He was considered to be the better duelist of the two. It was stated that Zannahs only hope of defeating him was with her Sith Sorcery.

I read the book a few days ago so it's all pretty fresh in my mind still (which was why I had a few questions of my own). Hope that helps to clear a few things up.

Edited by Lifeshield

If Starkiller would have never died he would have surpassed Sidious in power that is cannon. But from Unleashed 2 its really unclear if Starkiller really did die to who knows we got to wait and see for Unleashed 3

No he wouldn't have. He was in his prime and he barely defeated Vader.

No he wouldn't have. He was in his prime and he barely defeated Vader.

No he wasn't dude he was nowhere near his prime check his wookie page. The guy would have become much much more powerful if he had never died.

I like this list, but I don't really buy Darth Tyrannus as a great Sith. I can't base this on any facts, but watching Count Dracula swing his sword around huffing for Oxygen is painful to watch.

Another thing, Darth Maul is the most Underrated Sith. He had to die because Lucas wrote himself into a hole. Not only that, Maul beat Qui Gon Jin and Obiwan, but Obiwan was lucky Qui Gon was lying nearby. Darth Maul should have come back in Clone Wars because (like I said earlier) I hate Count Dooku as a bad guy....not a wizard.

and Darth Bane? the guy you beat like 1/4 of the way through KOTOR? no no no... he's not a challenge. Your character beats him and like 2 or 3 other lackeys of his, and then you have to fight a squad of mandalorians as you run through the forest? I doubt Darth Bane would be so easy to get over if he was a top 10 Sith.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about..

First, Darth Bane was not in KOTOR.. he is alive about 3000 years after KOTOR 1.

Second, Darth Maul was horrible. In the Darth Plageuis book, we find out that Maul was just a tool for Palpatine and Plageuis. Palpatine only trained him so he could be sent to do things, and was never intended to be a powerful sith lord, merely a lackey.

Edited by bfishback

I think people should think about this:

"If you were to face an ancient Sith lord in combat, you would learn that we are as children playing with toys compared to the prowess of the old masters."

―Kreia

Probably the first Sith's who won a war against the Rakata Empire are the strongest Sith ever existed (even they were the true pureblood, not this halfblood we got now...).

About Jedi i think Qui Gonn Jinn was pretty strong, as he was able to rediscover how become one with the force when everyone forget it (on the movies i mean), but its supposed that Anakin Skywalker was the strongest ever lived jedi/sith... but... Obi Wan said that "even he couldnt beat Master Yoda". If Palpatine was the strongest sith (as some people claims here) Yoda should be the strongest one as they tied on the third movie (and i would say only because Yoda was near his death).

But again, i think Kreia was right, centuries of peace makes people "confident" and very less skilled as they dont have to use their power. Probably a Sith Lord like Ludo Kressh could be stronger than everyone (as he didnt use even a lightsaber, used a cortosis sword).

And if people talk about "killing", i think Grievous (who wasnt even a full-Sith) was stronger than anyone, as he faced many jedis and killed them with his "half-power".

I think people should think about this:

"If you were to face an ancient Sith lord in combat, you would learn that we are as children playing with toys compared to the prowess of the old masters."

―Kreia

Probably the first Sith's who won a war against the Rakata Empire are the strongest Sith ever existed (even they were the true pureblood, not this halfblood we got now...).

About Jedi i think Qui Gonn Jinn was pretty strong, as he was able to rediscover how become one with the force when everyone forget it (on the movies i mean), but its supposed that Anakin Skywalker was the strongest ever lived jedi/sith... but... Obi Wan said that "even he couldnt beat Master Yoda". If Palpatine was the strongest sith (as some people claims here) Yoda should be the strongest one as they tied on the third movie (and i would say only because Yoda was near his death).

But again, i think Kreia was right, centuries of peace makes people "confident" and very less skilled as they dont have to use their power. Probably a Sith Lord like Ludo Kressh could be stronger than everyone (as he didnt use even a lightsaber, used a cortosis sword).

And if people talk about "killing", i think Grievous (who wasnt even a full-Sith) was stronger than anyone, as he faced many jedis and killed them with his "half-power".

Sidious is the most powerful Sith. This is canon since GL has said so. If you don't believe me, then do some research and look up Sidious's accomplishments because he has done terrifying things not matched by other Sith Lords.

Sidious beat Yoda; they didn't tie. Luke is superior to Yoda in every way since EU has made him almost God like.

Grievous is a great fighter but he wouldn't stand a chance against anyone on these top 10 lists. Obiwan beat him easily and Mace Windu crushed Grievous with the force. People like Revan, Yoda, Luke, Caedus, Vader, and Sidious to name those off the top of my head would beat Grievous easily.

Obi Wan Kenobi is arguably the strongest jedi, in the movies at least.

He defeats darth maul, when Qui-gon Jinn failed.

He defeats Grevious, where Shaak ti failed and was killed by Grevious. (see this in deleted scenes during the early parts of Revenge of the Sith.

He defeats Anakin Skywalker, twice.

First time on Mustafa

Second time he defeats him by letting Luke, Han, Leia etc. escape on the falcon.

He defeats Grevious, where Shaak ti failed and was killed by Grevious. (see this in deleted scenes during the early parts of Revenge of the Sith.

First time on Mustafa

Second time he defeats him by letting Luke, Han, Leia etc. escape on the falcon.

Shaak Ti actually doesn't die then, I'm pretty sure it's canon that she is killed by Starkiller.

And just mere killing can hardly be seen as being more powerful. Darth Maul and Grevious were hardly powerful at all, and Anakin was blinded by his hate.

Sidious is the most powerful Sith. This is canon since GL has said so. If you don't believe me, then do some research and look up Sidious's accomplishments because he has done terrifying things not matched by other Sith Lords.

Sidious beat Yoda; they didn't tie. Luke is superior to Yoda in every way since EU has made him almost God like.

Grievous is a great fighter but he wouldn't stand a chance against anyone on these top 10 lists. Obiwan beat him easily and Mace Windu crushed Grievous with the force. People like Revan, Yoda, Luke, Caedus, Vader, and Sidious to name those off the top of my head would beat Grievous easily.

The George Lucas canon applys only if you take it: Its said that in any two-sides story you must pick the hierarch he said (Movies > Series > etc), but there is no conflict between Sith Emperor Vitiate and Darth Sidious, they are from different times and one can be stronger than the other :3.

First time on Mustafa

I'd love to agree as Obi-Wan is my favorite.

But he was lucky in killing Darth Maul. He actually lost the dual then did exactly what Anakin did in ep.III and attempted to jump over somebody on high ground. How Darth Maul never sliced him I'll never know.

Anakin was an emotional wreck in their first fight. He was lost and still not at the peak of his potential. Also a school boy error in doing what he did. "You underestimate my power" sums that one up for me!

I'll give you Grevious though.

Keep in mind when Kenobi beats Maul he's just a padawan. He is shown to be one of the best duelists during his time, but duelist doesn't make a powerful Jedi/Sith. If that was the case then Jaina should make the list, but mostly I see her as a great fighter who beat Caedus, but he had a much better grasp of the Force.

Anakin vs. Vader is a real argument to make...as stated the suit hindered him and that was planned by Sidious to ensure his status on top. Because of his suit Vader couldn't use or stand up to Force Lightning. As someone good with robotics he knew his cybernetics their materials and how they were fitted were inferior so he had a constant hindrance.

Bane and older Sith Lords should probably be higher. As time passed alot of the Sith techniques were lost or kept secret to provide advantages between master and pupil. The challenge was not just can you beat your master, but have you learned as much as you can before you kill them.

The George Lucas canon applys only if you take it: Its said that in any two-sides story you must pick the hierarch he said (Movies > Series > etc), but there is no conflict between Sith Emperor Vitiate and Darth Sidious, they are from different times and one can be stronger than the other :3.

Sidious has done what Vitate has done and more. And Sidious was also a better Sith.

People are missing the point with Darth Sidious. Due to the Rule of Two he is the most powerful Sith ever.

WHY?

He has/had at his disposal all the knowledge of the Sith before him. Everything! He had all the holocrons from the Jedi temple. The whole Empire to use and exploit in his search for Sith relics, holocrons, lore... With that kind of manpower he could find anything. He already had clones of himself. He perfected the technique using TOR lore, practiced to make clones during the clone wars. He used Starkiller to figure out how to clone force sensitive users. Can make Sith/force creatures, man the list goes on.

And Vader was his apprentice. The “Chosen One” was learning under Darth Sidious. You can’t get any more powerful than that. I can’t understand why people think just because he lost his legs and arms, that his suit wouldn’t be created to fix those issues. The only thing Vader could not do was Force Lighting, that’s it.

So one and two are

Darth Sidious

Darth Vader

IMO it doesn’t matter who’s third and beyond.

As for Jedi, please don’t think age makes you powerful. It just makes you smarter, and more knowledgeable. So sorry Yoda you’re not in my top three and you know how I feel about third place already so… Luke was taught by two masters and was the child of the “Chosen One”. Went to the dark side and came back. (Yes its EU I know) But that means he was learning under Darth Sidious as well.

Only one other person that fits this bill, and I’m not talking about Galen/Starkiller either. (He just was a tool created and used for a single purpose. And his powers were engineered to accomplish this goal).

I’m talking about Darth Revan. He was a Jedi, Dark Jedi, Sith and back to Jedi again. Not going to insult anyone’s intelligence. And TL; DR about it this thing is long enough. My only problem with this is SW:TOR.

So one and two are

Luke Skywalker

Darth Revan

BTW two could be the redeemed Anakin Skywalker...for about one - two mins LOL :p

Sidious has done what Vitate has done and more. And Sidious was also a better Sith.

Sidious annihilated all life on a planet with a dark side ritual and planned to use more to complete a ritual to annihilate all life in the galaxy? And stayed alive for over 1000 years?

Sith Emperor is all kinds of ridiculous. It's actually something that annoyed me about the Jedi Knight storyline in this game.

Power creep in general is a big problem in the expanded universe.

Edited by Hyperionthethird

Sidious annihilated all life on a planet with a dark side ritual and planned to use more to complete a ritual to annihilate all life in the galaxy? And stayed alive for over 1000 years?

Sith Emperor is all kinds of ridiculous. It's actually something that annoyed me about the Jedi Knight storyline in this game.

Power creep in general is a big problem in the expanded universe.

Sidious destroyed all life on a planet with force lightning (correct me if I'm wrong) by himself without a ritual and without dozens (or was it hundreds?) of sith lords helping. Sidious become immortal without using a ritual. Sidious doesn't depend on relics to be all powerful. Sidious is all powerful because of sheer will and his own power. Sidious can create and control worm holes that can destroy a fleet of ships. And he did that all in far less time than the Sith Emperor.

More detailed explanation from another poster on another thread:

A FEW SPOILERS TREAD CAUTIOUSLY

Immortal doesn't mean invincible. Immortal is the ability to potentially live forever. Vitiate is immortal but isn't invincible. We also do know he dies as he doesn't exist in the later Canon. Sidious was immortal as well. He didn't need clone bodies. He could transfer his essence into anything. He used clone bodies because he preferred his own body. So he made replica's of his body in his physical prime and used those. In the very end he decided to transfer his essence into Anakin Solo.

It took another Jedi to step in the way and force Sidious to become one with the force. Again, Sidious was using the essence transfer ability. He'd transfer his essence into another being to live on through them. This IS immortality.

Sidious had the ability to drain the life of billions of beings at once. Much like Vitiate. He simply didn't consume them entirely and he didn't need a ritual to make himself immortal. Sidious was able to mind wipe billions of people at once. We never see Vitiate performing something on that large of a scale.

A ritual requires time and effort to put into action and a lot of preparation. Vitiate consuming a planet isn't a combat ability. He wouldn't be able to do this to Sidious. The sith lords he stole the life from were willing participants of Vitiate's ritual. So this isn't comparable.

Sidious was able to release wormholes in the middle of combat. These were capable of destroying planets though he never used them in such a manner. He did however use them to destroy an entire starfleet.

Sidious was a master of all the saber styles and forms. He was also described moving, as emperor reborn, faster than the eye can see. We have no description of Vitiate being able to do this. We have no knowledge of his saber performance. Going by lack of evidence we can't compare vitiate's saber abilities to Sidious.

Vitiate has been said to use artifacts and relics to bolster his power. Sidious does not use relics or artifacts. Vitiate is said to control other bodies while his main body is hidden away. This gives the assumption his main body is vulnerable to destruction. Sidious transported Luke who was on another planet to his side.

Sidious managed to take control of the entire republic and turn it into his empire. Sidious does not need to sleep. Sidious has been shown to have the most powerful force lightning in existence. If Sidious dies before he can transfer his essence he can do so as a spirit freely.

The emperor, as per the game once again, can not transfer bodies until his current one dies.

In effect. Vitiate uses a lot of trinkets and relics to bolster his power and Sidious does not. Despite that fact. Sidious has displayed far more power than Vitiate ever has. Your main argument is this.

"Vitiate had to use a ritual to destroy a planet" (Which Sidious can do without a ritual mind you) and he lived 1400 years. Set Harth lived 400 but was a weakling. Yoda lived 900 and wasn't as strong as Sidious. Anddedu also lived for well over a thousand years but was destroyed effortlessly by Darth Wyrrlok.

The sith code isn't about being immortal. It's about being free. The idea of a sith is to transcend physical limitations. In effect becoming Gods. One could argue sidious was the closest to achieve it. If it wasn't for Luke and his allies he would have.

Vitiate never had to contend with someone on Luke's level. Revan is not as powerful as Luke.

You also take destruction too lightly and if it's arguable you can't use it as fact. Arguable means opinion. Opinion isn't fact. If his ability to destroy is far beyond Vitiate's it means if he had to contend with Vitiate or Vitiate him Sidious would destroy him. Then his immortality would be gone.

Edited by DarthFanatic

ah good to know the expanded universe makes palpatine laughably over the top too.

because it makes so much sense that palpatine would build a bunch of death stars and all that when he could wipe out a planet himself.

At least tor tries to justify the ridiculousness of vitiate a bit, with things like the creature on voss implied to have given him lots of power etc.

edit: and i know the EU expands luke's abilities a great deal too, but revan comes off as plenty powerful.

Edited by Hyperionthethird

I have watched all of the movies multiple times and read almost every single EU Star Wars book. From all of my amassed knowledge, this is how I would rank the most powerful Jedi and Sith. Abeloth is NOT included in this list because she is not a Sith, even though she uses the dark side.

Jedi:

1) Luke Skywalker - Unarguably the most powerful Jedi.

2) Jaina Solo - Defeated Darth Caedus, who was one of the only Sith to injure Luke at his full potential.

3) Yoda - Lived for 900 years, ranked first in knowledge of the force.

4) Mace Windu - One of the most skilled Jedi in lightsaber combat.

5) Obi-Wan Kenobi - Best practitioner of Soresu form.

6) Anakin Skywaler - Before the turn to the dark side. He was almost evenly matched with Obi-Wan, but lost the battle.

7) Kyp Durron - It is stated in one of the NJO novels (forgot which one) that Kyp Durron has more raw force power than Luke Skywalker, but lacks the control that Luke has.

8) Jedi Master Revan - Easily dispatched one of the members of the Dark Council in the novel, and lasted in battle for a reasonable amount of time against Darth Vitiate.

9) Jacen Solo - Killed Omini and ended the Yuuzhan Vong threat to the galaxy, and persuaded Zonama Sekot to join the fight. Could flow-walk and change the past.

10) Qui-Gon Jinn - Said to rival Mace Windu in lightsaber combat and discovered the child of the prophecy.

Sith:

1) Darth Sidious - Culmination of the Rule of Two.

2) Darth Plagueis - Darth Sidious' master. Possibly more powerful than Sidious, as the two never had a real final confrontation.

3) Darth Vitiate - Lived for over 1000 years, maintained the greatest Sith empire in history. Easily defeated Revan.

4) Darth Caedus - One of the most powerful Sith of all time. Defeated Kyle Katarn and 3 other Jedi Knights at the same time. Could use flow-walking to alter past events.

4) Galen Marek - Defeated Darth Vader in combat, and wielded force lightning that rivaled Sidious' in intensity. Ranked as a Sith because while his final goals were good, he still drew on dark side power (force lightning, force choke).

5) Darth Vader - Never achieved his full potential but still one of the more powerful Sith. Stated to have been 80% as powerful as Sidious.

6) Exar Kun - Took the entire Jedi Order to kill his body, and drove Luke into a coma for weeks while in a dark side spirit form that he had been in for thousands of years. No other Jedi or Sith has remained in the universe for that long after death to my knowledge.

7) Darth Tenebrous - Darth Plagueis' master, only defeated through trickery. Also possibly stronger than Plagueis or Sidious in force power.

8) Darth Bane - WITH orbalisk armor. Without it he is not nearly as powerful, though more cunning.

9) Naga Sadow - Could cause stars to go supernova with the force.

10) Darth Maul - Though not skilled with force powers, one of the best lightsaber duelists. Beat Qui-Gon Jinn, who was stated to rival Mace Windu.

Other notables:

- Raynar Thul

- Lomi Plo

- Kit Fisto

- Anakin Solo

- Kenth Hamner

- Saba Sebatyne

- Kyle Katarn

Edited by Coronae

Good list but didn't Luke help Jaina win the fight against Caedus? I didn't think it was just her own ability that let her beat Caedus so I don't know if i would rank her that high but she's definitely up there.

I also didn't know Qui-Gon rivaled Mace's lightsaber skill. Makes Maul more impressive than I thought he was before.

Edited by DarthFanatic