Xalek can't tank.

Blackout

Switched to Ashara, less good as a tank in general (much more like a player tank), much more single target dps so good for trash and open world PVP, i end up tanking myself more that i wanted to. though.

Ashara isn't a tank companion.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashara might not be a tank and have a shield but when you get her she is a much better tank the Khen for a healer, even without a shield and or Heavy armor she could tank better, her DPS more than made up for me not casting affliction or crushing darkness.

I did stack her with some spare tank gear i had picked up so she wasnt in full greens or anyting.

However for a SI who doesnt want to heal, i could see how people could have issues using her, it going to come down to spec and playstyle.

i know on my op i dont heal my companion so a companion that is as tanky as possible is better than dps for me, but when 62% of my talents are in the haling tree it would be silly to pretend to be able to dps.

My Xalek is in a mixture of full Tank/DPS Columi gear and he tanks better than my Khem. Why? Because as a Sorc, I have much easier access to Inquisitor gear that khem can't use so I outfitted Xalek.

Love Khem, stuck with him for 50 levels, but eventually Xalek overcame him.

I find the only problem with Xalek is that I can't raise his chance to shield. Its stuck at 5% despite a ton of extra shield rating on gear. Is this intended even though some of his own gear has shield rating that's not changing stats?

I think the 5% shield proc is the reason why people are having difficulty with him tanking when compared to Khem's 20-25% chance to shield.

On Voss i was pissed on Khem that can't tank a ****.(under geared)

So when i got Xalek i was satisfied with him. Loaded him with tons of gear - columni/champion geared.

But: whenever you fighting more than one mob he will just not hold aggro on anything. He hardly cen hold agro on one mob most of time that mob was trying to hit me.

Then i switched back to Khem - at first i crafted him some green/blue stuff (synth...)

And tried heroic 2+ dailies. Suddenly all fights were so easier.

So i bought Khem tionese gear + crafted rakata and now he can tank almost everything. He can hold aggro even in multile enemies fights. (at least for a while ).

Major difference for me. - I use Xalek only as trashcan for gear that is assigned to by briliant normal ops loot system......

My suggestion stick with Khem and get mu good gear.

Sorry for poor English.

I don't understand this... Xalek's shield chance and shield absorption never change.. It shows them at 20% and 25% no matter what I do..

He came with some absorption rating on his gear.. and the tooltip shows absorption rating (48) +0.0%... And it always shows his shield chance bonus at 20%.. added to the 5%

I don't understand this... Xalek's shield chance and shield absorption never change.. It shows them at 20% and 25% no matter what I do..

He came with some absorption rating on his gear.. and the tooltip shows absorption rating (48) +0.0%... And it always shows his shield chance bonus at 20%.. added to the 5%

Hmm so adron > khem > xalek ? for tanking ?

or just trolling ?

I laugh when people say Khem is such a low class tank and Xalek is so awsome. Xalek can't hold agro worth ****. Even in a full set of battlemaster/champion gear, he can't hold agro for more than 3 seconds off my assassin. He also can't take a hit to save his life and dies super easily. Khem, in level 40 orange items with level 40 modifications rocks. He easily tanks level 50 elites and holds agro on everything. I can pop all my CDs and lay into the mobs without him even leaving agro. If they want to make more than one tanking companion viable, they really need to make Xalek not suck so much.

The only ones who say the "dps" companions are better tanks than Vhem are sorcerers who can heal them. Yeah, you'll see stuff dying faster cuz they are an actual dps and you are healing them to keep them alive. That doesn't mean they are a good tank. Try not healing them, and none of them will hold up to Khem when it comes to damage taken.

I laugh when people say Khem is such a low class tank and Xalek is so awsome. Xalek can't hold agro worth ****. Even in a full set of battlemaster/champion gear, he can't hold agro for more than 3 seconds off my assassin. He also can't take a hit to save his life and dies super easily. Khem, in level 40 orange items with level 40 modifications rocks. He easily tanks level 50 elites and holds agro on everything. I can pop all my CDs and lay into the mobs without him even leaving agro. If they want to make more than one tanking companion viable, they really need to make Xalek not suck so much.

The only ones who say the "dps" companions are better tanks than Vhem are sorcerers who can heal them. Yeah, you'll see stuff dying faster cuz they are an actual dps and you are healing them to keep them alive. That doesn't mean they are a good tank. Try not healing them, and none of them will hold up to Khem when it comes to damage taken.

As a healer, when i do my dailies I have switched between both tanks, and do not note much of a difference. I keep Xalek out because I prefer him cosmetically/rp wise over Khem. I solo lvl 50 elites and champions with ease with Xalek so i see no reason to ever change. So i really do not understand the "Xalek sucks so bad" threads.

• 1 month later...
So, I also have the issue where shield and absorb rating are not affecting my Xalek's stats. My question is: Is it just the stat display that's bugged? or does Xalek actually not benefit from these ratings. Anyone with data, test numbers or developer comments would be most appreciated.

I was wondering that as well, but came to the conclusion it was just bugged.

My xalec is in full columni assassin tanking gear, with tionese level implants and ear, even switched out some mods that had accuracy and traded them for defense/shield rating... sitting at around 20k hp.

Khem has a mix of orange, blue implants / ear, and 2 piece of tionese tanking gear, sitting at around 16k hp.

khem tanks way way way better then xalec, even had him some bosses in hard mode flashpoints, and it was much easier healing him the xalec. While the armor rating does make a difference, it's clear to me the shield and absorption rating simply don't work on xalec. Ended up sending a /bug about it, and they replied to me saying they were awared of it and they were planning on taking care of it in the near 'future'. Guess we'll see....

Edited by Loraquin

Incorrect, he has a verifiable bug regarding Block and Absorb. He is statistically inferior to Khem Val as a tank.

Except you can gear up Xalek with your tier gear once you no longer need it :p. I always use Xalek to tank. I have never had any problems with him at all.

Incorrect, he has a verifiable bug regarding Block and Absorb. He is statistically inferior to Khem Val as a tank.

And yet still functions perfectly well. I use all my companions. And while he does have a shield rating bug, he is still an acceptable tank. I have soloed Lord Raxxus/Old Enemies using Xalek.

Thanks for playing though. When people can use companions effectively and others cannot, the problem isn't the companion.

Another Xalek supporter here; as a healing sorcerer, I too have solo'd Lord Raxus with Xalek tanking (did it with Ashara too actually, although she's tougher to keep alive!). I agree with the statements above that, despite the known issues with shield and absorb, he does indeed make a perfectly acceptable tank with proper gear. His advantages over Khem are his aoe threat gen and that he initiates combat / establishes threat faster. I used him from the day I got him and never looked back. Edited by Natarii

And yet still functions perfectly well. I use all my companions. And while he does have a shield rating bug, he is still an acceptable tank. I have soloed Lord Raxxus/Old Enemies using Xalek.

Thanks for playing though. When people can use companions effectively and others cannot, the problem isn't the companion.

I said he is statistically inferior. He is. That's an objective fact.

Xalek really isnt a very viable tank compared to Khem, or Lt. Iresso (or Qyzen, but hes khem's mirror) , the mirrored counterpart on the Jedi Consular. The fact that his tank stance gives him 42% increased armor when the assassins tank stance gives 150% armor probably says it all, his armor is sub par, and he takes too much damage for a tank, and doesnt deal enough damage to be dps.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love his unique mechanics, but ive invested a lot into fully gearing him out and my khem val (in level 30's) has roughly the same damage mitigation.

I find them both worthless as a heal spec.

This is a game where it's really kill or be killed. Even standard enemies do fair damage with their attacks. Neither Khem nor Xalek have the durability to support the lower then average DPS a sith sorc healer can put out.

I find running with Ashara as a 'tank' is much more effective. All I do is keep her upright and keep dots active on boss , and she'll burn them down.

Edited by islander