Black Lightsaber

Durstilla

Doesn't matter whether the beam is light, plasma, or whatever. Black simply means it's a colour you can't see. Our eyes don't detect the colour in that part of the spectrum, but perhaps insects or Arkanians might see the blade as something completely different.

I'd have preferred a vibroblade myself for Pre Vizla, but the darksaber is pretty cool whenever it shows up, so meh

Exactly.

UV lightsaber would be nice. Black to the direct eye, but "Gloom" in it's surroundings.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a post yesterday about exactly the same reason, lightsaber color + black sith robe absense.

But i only got troll responses and hate...

I dont like the current colors for sith either. You ll see within a month, all sith will run around with only purple and black-red lightsabers, and there would be none with red.

Around 90% of sith atm, have champion lightsaber, which is purple, and soon most of them will run around with black-red. I barely see these days a sith with red Lightsaber.

I wish they would allow us to choose the color we want.

I dont get it why they give mod option and color crystal options only for low lvls and not for 50 lvl gear. It should be exactly the oposite...

Lvling will last half month max and no matter how perfect they made it, it means only the 1% of the game.

Personally, I don't have an issue with purple or black-red lightsabers. However, I can understand your feelings. All you need to do is change the crystals, but the way some lightsabers work, you can't do anything about it. People that don't like those colors are stuck with it if they want a good weapon.

We already have black-yellow (preorder) black-green (Best Buy I think?) and black-red/black-blue for PvP factions. I don't see how just black is going to be any worse. A single, black colored blade is much less ridiculous than a multiple-colored blade (black with a colored glow)

and as others have already stated.. lightsaber blades are not light, they are plasma, contained in a field, which can be altered by any number of factors - not letting visable spectrums of light through could easily result in a black colored blade with a sort of particle glow.

I think the black one isn't much more of an oddity than the tens and tens of other lightsaber crystals that have showed up in canon - some of them supposedly unique, some of them even so far out there. I distinctly remember there being a silver one, for example, on one of Luke's pupils.

Then on the other hand, even George Lucas let Samuel L. Jackson diverge from the established Blue/Green/Red variations because he wanted his character to look more pimp. Go figure.

As for canon, I think they created T-(Television)Canon as a canon level above Continuity Canon for The Holocron, so unless one of the original trilogies, novelisations or radio dramas explicitly states that there's no such thing, yes, the black lightsaber is canon through TCW.

He wanted to stand out so he could find himself in widescreen shots and such, plus he wanted a cool onscreen death, both are perfectly reasonable requests given how everything was much more... colorful and glaring in the prequels.

The black saber with the green glow is an ingame bonus item if you buy any of the official TOR branded Razer products (Mouse, Keyboard or Headset). It has same stats as black-yellow pre-order crystal, so it's more eye-candy than function.

The black saber with the green glow is an ingame bonus item if you buy any of the official TOR branded Razer products (Mouse, Keyboard or Headset). It has same stats as black-yellow pre-order crystal, so it's more eye-candy than function.

It also has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I don't think Black ones exist.

If I remember correctly, there was a very large movement in SWG to get a black crystal, but LucasArts never gave them the go ahead because it was not canon. That, and something about it being impossible to create in game (since black is the absence of light) and it would've ended up looking like a silver saber with a black core. Kinda like how the yellow-black ones look in TOR.

It also has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

It was in response to a post by DarthGlitch

"We already have black-yellow (preorder) black-green (Best Buy I think?) and black-red/black-blue for PvP factions. I don't see how just black is going to be any worse. A single, black colored blade is much less ridiculous than a multiple-colored blade (black with a colored glow)"

I was just mentioning where you got it from. I don't think it's an off topic post

Now, this isn't necessarily a void saber because it's black.

What we perceive as color, are the light waves that are not absorbed by whatever you are looking at. That apple isn't actually red, it just looks red due to the apple not absorbing the red wavelengths. Colors are black because no color is reflected off of it, by this logic, a lightsaber could be black.

Now, this isn't necessarily a void saber because it's black.

What we perceive as color, are the light waves that are not absorbed by whatever you are looking at. That apple isn't actually red, it just looks red due to the apple not absorbing the red wavelengths. Colors are black because no color is reflected off of it, by this logic, a lightsaber could be black.

You're thinking of reflected light, which is what you learned about in kindergarten and works for something like an apple, but not for a lightsaber. For example, computer monitors and the sun do not use reflected light to create color, they use emitted light. Same with Lightsabers: they emit their own light, which is why they glow. Pure Black in emitted light is the absence of all light, while the mix of all primary colors of light (Red, Green, Blue) is White Light. This is the opposite for reflected light, where White is the absence of all color, and the mix of all primary reflected colors (Red, Blue, Yellow) is Black.

By this logic, Lightsabers can never be black unless the blade was made of something solid or sucked all light in, which means it would have to be made of a black hole. Not happening.

Edited by Vid-szhite

You're thinking of reflected light, which is what you learned about in kindergarten, but for example, computer monitors do not use reflected light, they use emitted light. The Sun does not reflect light, it emits light. Same with Lightsabers: they create their own light, which is why they glow. Pure Black in emitted light is the absence of all light, while the mix of all primary colors of light (Red, Green, Blue) is White Light. This is the opposite for reflected light, where White is the absence of all color, and the mix of all primary reflected colors (Red, Blue, Yellow) is Black.

By this logic, Lightsabers can never be black unless the blade was made of something solid or sucked all light in, which means it would have to be made of a black hole. Not happening.

Maybe there's something towards the base of the blade that would suck all the light in, leaving only the black plasma?

Maybe there's something towards the base of the blade that would suck all the light in, leaving only the black plasma?

It would still have to be made of a black hole or something so dense as to be impossible to move. Barring Deus Ex Machina from The Force, of course.

Edited by Vid-szhite

i have to say I find bringing science into this argument is hilarious. light sabers on their own are completely impossible.

This is like arguing that in the Harry Potter movies the spell "eat slugs" is impossible because it's not said in a latin phrase.

To be fair, that spell does have an actual name in the books, but it was changed for the movie.

Regardless, when arguing about something in a sci-fi fantasy, you use the science from the lore to argue it, not the science of real world.

To be fair, that spell does have an actual name in the books, but it was changed for the movie.

Regardless, when arguing about something in a sci-fi fantasy, you use the science from the lore to argue it, not the science of real world.

well thats just it they aren't using science from the lore. If they were then the arguement would be over since darksabers exist in the clone wars

well thats just it they aren't using science from the lore. If they were then the arguement would be over since darksabers exist in the clone wars

For some reason people like using RL logic to explain something in a fictional universe, while completely ignoring the universe's logic which explains pretty much anything wihin the universe of where said question is coming from the fictional universe.

RL logic + Fictional universe= NO

Fictional logic + Fictional universe= YES

Its not that hard to understand.

Tbh it makes those people who do use RL logic look like a bunch of...well you know, to try and explain something that isn't going to make any sense unless you use the universe's logic.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

You're thinking of reflected light, which is what you learned about in kindergarten and works for something like an apple, but not for a lightsaber. For example, computer monitors and the sun do not use reflected light to create color, they use emitted light. Same with Lightsabers: they emit their own light, which is why they glow. Pure Black in emitted light is the absence of all light, while the mix of all primary colors of light (Red, Green, Blue) is White Light. This is the opposite for reflected light, where White is the absence of all color, and the mix of all primary reflected colors (Red, Blue, Yellow) is Black.

Black isn't necessarily the absence of all emitted light, it can also simply be the absence of all perceivable light. As I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread, if the plasma that makes up a lightsaber only emitted UV or Infrared light, and didn't reflect/transmit incoming visible light, it would appear black. If it transmitted light that impinged on it, it would be clear.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pritty sure the death watch leader states that its a Ls (a very very old one) taken from the jedi. I could be wrong though that episode killed TCW for me.

yes ur rite its in s2 e12 and it in the new season Episode 14 A Friend in Need its a bad *** lightsaber and i wot 1 for my sith