Add-ons...Why exactly are they needed?

xNonphixionx

Do you not see ANY bad coming from allowing addons?

If not...Are you dillusional?

Nothing bad will be allowed since bioware can put their foot down.

I open a fish n chip shop, a large portion of customers ask me if i can start selling hot chicken. Then an angry old man who claims to be a veteran in fish n chip shops tells me i shouldnt sell them, what do i do?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Third party addons can increase innovation. 50,000 addon creaters can think of better and nicer ways of customizing a UI than the 10 people BW will hire to do so.

They sure can. They can also think of better and nicer ways to make the game as easy as possible so thumbsuckers can be elite.

This is not WoW so all you fanboys can ****.

Aion had no Addons an it was fine.

Why do we actually need them? DPS metre? Why. Just play with people to find out if they are good.

Threat metres? Why. If the mob targets someone else but the Tank then you know he's lost threat Pretty simple?

You fanboys just want to make an EASY mmo even EASIER. Lets face it WoW is a lazy mans game.

I want to be able to customize my UI, not because I want things to be easier, because I don't want things to suck. I also don't want certain elements of the UI taking up more space than they need too, or even be on the UI at all.

I also want to be able to customize my UI because it's 2012, not 2003. There are so many examples of horrible implementation in the current UI, it's hard to know where to start complaining. Like the mini map in one of the WZs that covers the first space of the right hot keys bar........seriously? There are a ton of things that are just plain wrong with that UI.

I hate having my chat at the top, I like having things in certain places on a UI because it makes keeping track of things more efficient and I spend less time looking at UI information, and more time looking at my enemies. Stuff like this is crucial in PvP especially, where half a second can make a huge difference.

If YOU are happy with the current UI whoopie for you, you can continue to use it. I am not happy with the current UI and would like more control over it. Me wanting to change my UI has absolutely nothing to do with your enjoyment of the game. Why are people always trying to take choices away from other people because they don't see the problem? You like it? Great for you, you can have it. But telling me I shouldn't have things the way I want them because you are happy aint gonna fly.

Nothing bad will be allowed since bioware can put their foot down.

I open a fish n chip shop, a large portion of customers ask me if i can start selling hot chicken. Then an angry old man who claims to be a veteran in fish n chip shops tells me i shouldnt sell them, what do i do?

This is actually an excellent metaphor for the state of the community right now. On both the concept of an automated LFG tool and add-on support, the majority seem for, while Bioware want's to listen to the angry old man who uses his "veteran" card and ad hominem strawman arguments to get his way. Very disappointing.

The extant UI may be great for you, personally. But the same UI doesn't satisfy everyone's needs.

So the question becomes whether BioWare tries to satisfy everyone's customizations from in-house, or opens the APIs to let other UI designers have a crack.

The success of UI customization in World of Warcraft has been because Blizzard recognized early on that it couldn't satisfy everyone's customization desires, and let players decide individually which UI elements they would use. Over time, Blizzard adopted some of the most popular (raid frames, status highlighting, combat text, threat meters) into the default UI.

Opening UI development is a win for players, because it allows us to customize our UI to our own personal preferences. It's a win for BioWare because it outsources UI development to the creativity of its passionate userbase. It's a win-win. Imagine if the same community that built the massive Neverwinter Nights library of content was allowed to do the same thing for SWTOR's UI.

You just dont get it lol. Soon as you open up the flood gates then the ezmode addons will pour in. Next thing you know everyone will have them simply because they dont want to be at a disadvantage. Then SWTOR will be like WOW where a 3 year old girl can "pwn newbz" with all her leet addons that "Make her a better player" (lmao)

What addons are these that you speak of? What add on will put a kid on the same lvl as a top notch skilled player?

This is not WoW so all you fanboys can ****.

Aion had no Addons an it was fine.

Why do we actually need them? DPS metre? Why. Just play with people to find out if they are good.

Threat metres? Why. If the mob targets someone else but the Tank then you know he's lost threat Pretty simple?

You fanboys just want to make an EASY mmo even EASIER. Lets face it WoW is a lazy mans game.

Wow is an ezmoders dream. See to me...As soon as I get word that someone on these threads is an ex-wow player I'd even go as far as saying he's a BAD PLAYER because of it.

I've been in many hard mode groups with ex-wow players that have not played anthing else and let me tell you....It's hilarious how bad they all are.

Greetings everyone!

While we appreciate the constructive nature of this discussion; since we have a active thread on the topic of Add-on's and in order to keep feedback somewhat consolidated, we are going to close this thread and ask that you please continue the discussion here:

This game badly needs mods and macros.

Thank you!

Edited by Ellvaan