Add-ons...Why exactly are they needed?

xNonphixionx

Quite a few threads about people saying the game requires addons. Most of the posts I read people say "We need addons to clean up our UI" or "We need addons to sort our inventory". Pretty much all of them say they dont want stuff like Decursive, Deadly Boss Mods, Threat meters, etc. So none of the "pro add-on" people want the addons that change the game making it easier?

I really dont understand why people think they are needed. If you want a better, more customizable UI why not ask Bioware for that? Why does it need to be 3rd party addons? Bioware is currently reworking the User Interface so that's already in the works, so why need addons?

After playing mmo's for over 14 years it's quite obvious that these people want an "easy button" but just wont admit it. Truth be told, should addons get implemented then EVERY 3rd party developer will be looking for any and every possible way to give players an advantage in combat whether it be PVP or PVE. To say they wont is just silly.

All it comes down to is...Bioware just needs to tweak what we already have. That being said, I guarantee that the pro addon fanboys would not be happy with a DPS meter and a fully customizable UI. They truelly want ezmode as that's what they are used to in World of Warcraft. There's LOTS of bad players out there that more than likely thought they were good after playing lolWOW for years. They got used to having a coach on their screen telling them exactly what to do and when to do it.

As I see it, yes there are advantages to allowing addons. But the bad that comes with them FAR outweighs the good. Solution? Bioware, finish up tweaking the UI for all the cry babies. Add a combat log that shows only your own numbers. To me, this is a great compromise. But like I said...It will never be enough until the pro-addon ezmoders get their "I win" button.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Because if you're going to spend hundreds of hours playing a game, you want to be able to make youself comfortable with the UI, and addons are one of the best ways of doing that.

Did you even read my post? You quite obviously did not.

You made ZERO sense at all...Why do you relate "customizable UI" with 3rd party addons? There's MANY mmo's out there with FULLY customizable UI's without requiring 3rd party programs.

Also...Bioware is already working on UI customization...Again...Learn to read.

You are just another ezmoder using the "customizable UI" excuse for addons to try and mask your ezmoder style.

Anyone that thinks putting gameplay and game mechanics in the hands of third party developers and think "nothing bad can come of this!" is quite obviously an ex-wow fanboy that cant survive without his DBM and Threat meters.

Edited by xNonphixionx

Why do you care 1 bit if anyone wants a add on or not? Just shutup and go play you're game and let others play the way they want to...

I could care less if people "WANT" addons. I am just curious why people think they are NEEDED when they are clearly NOT needed.

Did you even read my post? You quite obviously did not.

You made ZERO sense at all...Why do you relate "customizable UI" with 3rd party addons? There's MANY mmo's out there with FULLY customizable UI's without requiring 3rd party programs.

Also...Bioware is already working on UI customization...Again...Learn to read.

You are just another ezmoder using the "customizable UI" excuse for addons to try and mask your ezmoder style.

Anyone that thinks putting gameplay and game mechanics in the hands of third party developers and think "nothing bad can come of this!" is quite obviously an ex-wow fanboy that cant survive without his DBM and Threat meters.

There are limits, even to "full customisation". Can you replace the entire UI with an image of a fruitbat with full customisation? No, you can't.

But you can do it with addons.

Edited by TheTurniipKing

Because obviously BW has no idea how to create UIs.

What's so bad about the UI other than not being able to move hotbars around? Honestly, the only thing I'd change with the current UI is to put 1 extra hotbar on the bottom. Then maybe add a target of target. Aside from that it's an excellent UI.

Know who doesnt know how to make a UI? Square Enix.

There are limits, even to "full customisation". Can you replace the entire UI with an image of a fruitbat with full customisation? No, you can't.

But you can do it with addons.

So you want fluff? That's it? Is that all this addon crap it about? People want pixies and snowflakes all over their UI therefore the UI is horrible because you cant have them?

Then let me ask again, Why not ask Bioware for some fluffy pretty bunny UI's? Why does it NEED TO BE ADDONS?

So you want fluff? That's it? Is that all this addon crap it about? People want pixies and snowflakes all over their UI therefore the UI is horrible because you cant have them?

Then let me ask again, Why not ask Bioware for some fluffy pretty bunny UI's? Why does it NEED TO BE ADDONS?

Because Addons LET THE PLAYER BASE DO THE UI DESIGN.

And if you ask me who I want doing my UI design, a professional UI designer, or another player who's spent countless hours actually playing the game, honestly, I'm probably going to go with the player.

It MOVES icons around on me!

Look, if i put an icon somewhere, I **** well want it to stay where it's put. I don't give a hyper-fig if I'm now in cover and it's not usable at the moment, I want it to be where I put it so I know where to find it the second i pop OUT of cover.

Sounds like you just dont know how to play. You know that when you take cover you have a separate hotbar that comes up right? PRO LEET TIP INCOMING!!!! Make your take cover hotbar the same as your normal hotbar.

I find it hilarious you think your skills are moving on you. They are not...it's just a different hotbar.

Because Addons LET THE PLAYER BASE DO THE UI DESIGN.

And if you ask me who I want doing my UI design, a professional UI designer, or another player who's spent countless hours actually playing the game, honestly, I'm probably going to go with the player.

Have you even played an MMO with a fully customizable UI? Like Rift? or LOTRO? I dont think you have....Because you can do ANYTHING you want with those UI's WITHOUT the use of 3rd party addons.

You design your own UI in Rift. You design your own UI in LOTRO. Wouldnt you rather design your own UI than have another player design it for you?

I assume you copy and paste class builds from forums too? I mean you want to copy and paste someone elses UI...Typical ezmoder from WOW that's never played anything else before.

2 words...Spoiled brat.

Edited by xNonphixionx

Have you even played an MMO with a fully customizable UI? Like Rift? or LOTRO? I dont think you have....Because you can do ANYTHING you want with those UI's WITHOUT the use of 3rd party addons.

You design your own UI in Rift. You design your own UI in LOTRO. Wouldnt you rather design your own UI than have another player design it for you?

I assume you copy and paste class builds from forums too? I mean you want to copy and paste someone elses UI...

Actually, no. I haven't played RIFT or LOTRO.

You know you can usually customise addon UI's too, right? You can start from someone else's base and fit it to your preferences.

So here's the gist of the anti-addon crowd.

'You only want addons because you're elitist and you're really bad at the game and want easy mode.'

There's absolutely no middle ground.

Why else would they want addons other than for ezmode buttons? Anything else can be implemented by Bioware. Bioware obviously wont add ezmode buttons and that's why "ADDONS ARE A MUST" instead of just petitioning Bioware to give more cutomization.

Rift's UI is very customisable out of the box, but it is very far from fully customisable in the sense that addons allow, and that the other poster is talking about. You most certainly can't do "anything you want". At least, you couldn't until they actually added addons to Rift, that is...

Actually, no. I haven't played RIFT or LOTRO.

You know you can usually customise addon UI's too, right? You can start from someone else's base and fit it to your preferences.

Yeah, I know. I've played more than 1 mmo... But to say that allowing 3rd party developers is REQUIRED is just absolutely silly.

All I read is:

pro-addon guy ~ "We need addons to customize our UI"

anti-addon guy ~ "Why not just ask Bioware for a more customizable UI?"

pro-addon guy ~ "Did you not hear me? Addons will allow for UI customization, THATS ALL I WANT! I SWEAR!"

anti-addon guy ~ /facepalm

Rift's UI is very customisable out of the box, but it is very far from fully customisable in the sense that addons allow, and that the other poster is talking about. You most certainly can't do "anything you want". At least, you couldn't until they actually added addons to Rift, that is...

What exactly could you NOT do in the Rift UI? Care to elaborate?

Is there anything you could not do that was a game changer for you? I'm just curious.

Yeah, I know. I've played more than 1 mmo... But to say that allowing 3rd party developers is REQUIRED is just absolutely silly.

All I read is:

pro-addon guy ~ "We need addons to customize our UI"

anti-addon guy ~ "Why not just ask Bioware for a more customizable UI?"

pro-addon guy ~ "Did you not hear me? Addons will allow for UI customization, THATS ALL I WANT! I SWEAR!"

anti-addon guy ~ /facepalm

Actually, I never ever claimed that it was required. That was anti-addon guys strawman. The default UI is largely serviceable. A little horrible, underexplained and those two hotbars on the side are really awkward and out of the way...

Personally I prefer a sphere of icons, to reduce the amount of distance I need to move the mouse.

Edited by TheTurniipKing

I would love and addon that make the trade market more indepth, a way to track trends and compare prices of what i have in my inventory to whats on the market at a glance in a tool-tip, I love buying and selling to make profit (to much a business man :p)

Now why an "addon" i say... I would be VERY surprised is bioware did this themselfs, would be nice if they did! :D