Marauders and Companions, oh my!

Blitegrave

Sorry if this has been asked and I'm overlooking it somewhere in the swamp of posts. I'm knocking on the door of level 30 with my Marauder and I'm curious as to what you guys recommend I level with up to 50...do i stay with Vette or is Quinn the way to roll?

Honestly I think it is a design flaw but it will be Quinn all the way.

Now I like the other companions and would love to explore their roles in the game but unless you are running with someone else to offer you tanking or healing you will need quinn.

I leveled with another person from 3 to 50 but even with a second person one of us always had a healer out and it was a great day when I could use other companions but unless you plan to keep everyone up todate with the right gear it just makes the most sence to keep Quinn in as good gear as you can cause he will be your main guy.

Going with any other companion as a Marauder is doable, but the downtime is minimal with Quinn. So it's a personal choice. You can sacrifice some time to run with other companions or just stay with Quinn and have an easier time.

For the most part throughout my leveling experience, I've always maintained 1-2 levels above my mission objectives, so I've used Jaesa. Before acquiring her, I used Quinn. Quinn offers less downtime, though it will take slightly longer to burn through. On elites in some cases, I will still use Quinn (hard hitting bosses in class missions come to mind).

I keep both Quinn and Jaesa up to date with gear, although I prioritize Jaesa more due to the fact she takes flak being at the front lines. Quinn, for the most part on Med Watch, is usually in the backline just healing (I also toggle off his damage abilities).

I hated quinn. Honestly its on play style, i used vette until i got jeassa. As a mara haveing an extra dps normally let me kill anything rather quickly but i would have to heal after every other pull. jeas is a good off tank / dps she can norm get a strong mob to 1/4 by herself and if u use camo properly she can tank elites for the last 50% of there hp

It would also prob depend on spec. ann would prob work better with quinn bc your adding your own heals to his and your dps is less burst, but with carnage you burst mobs down so fast that adding another dps jsut makes mob groups drop twice as fast, just watch out for those extra strong mobs.

edit: to soda (I went to planets 2-3 levels early) so I even used jeas to burn mobs quicker so i wouldnt notice the lvl diff so much

Edited by Whisla

Stopped usnig quinn medicine man as soon as I got Jaessa. My reason is that our class is pure dps and we synergize well w/ her. I litterally can solo champions using cds properly and elites are just a joke. Only time I have problems is when its a strong>elite or double elites. Even then i pop cds and down it w/ no prob. Just have to make sure you keep ur companion and most importanly yourself up todate on gear.

Im 47 and murder murder murder hansolo up to this point. Every planet i been to ive had 0 problems.

Broonmark, when you get him. No one on these forums seems to use him, to me, having a tank companion with a dps class makes perfect sense.

Broonmark only became viable after gearing him in mostly pvp armour from duplicate champion tokens. Until then, he keeps agro ok but takes too much damage which still requires downtime after every fight.

I personally used Jaesa mostly with Quinn occasionally out for heals on kite fights (class story bosses). Keeping more than 2 companions geared requires too much time/credits which can otherwise be put into levelling to 50 and grinding crew skills instead.

Now I like the other companions and would love to explore their roles in the game but unless you are running with someone else to offer you tanking or healing you will need quinn.

No you dont.

I soloed all the way to 50, I used vette. I killed sel makors avatar on Voss at a level below the mission using her, to me its probably the hardest fight you can have on a non heroic quest on the route to 50 as a warrior,.

I still use Vette on Ilum.

ALL the companions are perfectly capable of doing the intended job as long as you gear them up as you would yourself, which you use is down to personal preference.

Broonmark only became viable after gearing him in mostly pvp armour from duplicate champion tokens. Until then, he keeps agro ok but takes too much damage which still requires downtime after every fight.

What downtime? Companions only take 2 seconds, or less, to heal.

If you are in a place where you can use a speeder, pull it out and get off when you reach your next mob; your companion is instantly healed. If you cannot use a speeder, dismiss them and pull them back out.

For the most part throughout my leveling experience, I've always maintained 1-2 levels above my mission objectives, so I've used Jaesa. Before acquiring her, I used Quinn. Quinn offers less downtime, though it will take slightly longer to burn through. On elites in some cases, I will still use Quinn (hard hitting bosses in class missions come to mind).

I keep both Quinn and Jaesa up to date with gear, although I prioritize Jaesa more due to the fact she takes flak being at the front lines. Quinn, for the most part on Med Watch, is usually in the backline just healing (I also toggle off his damage abilities).

This ^^

With Jaesa I burn through strong/weak mobs real quick, but for elites, Quinn is nice to have.

Only lv. 28 on my Mara, but I tried quinn against Vette, and so far I prefer vette far above quinn. I believe the best defense is a good offense, and when I'm clearing out silvers and golds with no issue with pure dps and just using some cool downs when necessary. I see no point in using a healer.

el oh el.

Well with the other companions I just get grinded down and either have to heal up after every silver pull or on a gold its a definite stoppage after the fight to heal up, if I use Quinn I get non of that as I do more than enough damage on my own, only problem is my health.

I used vette up until 38. i then switched to quinn and toggled all of his attacks off and use him solely for healing. ive been able to take on elites with no worries in dying. and the rotation is pretty simple.

force charge>force choke>obfuscate/saber ward/cloak of pain> then dps as much as i can. at about half hp i pop call on the force and hit saber ward and use a medpack. then its just a steady rotation on ravage, smash, gore, vicious strike, until their dead.

quite simple actually.

Well with the other companions I just get grinded down and either have to heal up after every silver pull or on a gold its a definite stoppage after the fight to heal up, if I use Quinn I get non of that as I do more than enough damage on my own, only problem is my health.

You can get through a few mob groups easily without stopping. Having Jaesa around is much more fun than *** Quin or this annoying Twi'lek slave. The other two options.. yeah, what are they? The Lieutenant doesn't deal damage and Broonmark can't tank. Thanks for two useless companions (except them being my slaves and do all the crafting work :p). And if there's a perfect companion for a real Sith, it's Jaesa. She LOVES chaos. So, what more than damage and a fellow that admires you is needed?

People here don't seem to realize that levelling is all about downtime. More downtime is worse than slow killing. Quinn is our only timely option, and it sucks.

I haven't toyed with the tanks much, but 2 seconds per pull is still a lot longer than 0.

Unless you are taking less than 2 seconds to move from mob to mob -- and quinn can heal you in less than 2 seonds (1.33 moves) -- this makes no sense. You can't heal yourself in less than 2 seconds -- like you can your tank, and if you are doing it right you shouldnt take ANY damage except for a double silver, or possibly an elite + 2 normals. Even then you are relying upon quinn to heal you during all moving to another mob, and if you are using your speeder -- to reduce your downtime -- quinn can't heal you at all.

Unless you are talking about healing your companion. In that case, do you use a speeder bike to go from mob to mob? That is .5 seconds of downtime and instaheals your companion. If not, it is a 1 second cast time to dismiss and resummon them.

Either way, you have less downtime from a tank because you take no damage, and they are much faster to heal than yourself.

People here don't seem to realize that levelling is all about downtime. More downtime is worse than slow killing. Quinn is our only timely option, and it sucks.

I haven't toyed with the tanks much, but 2 seconds per pull is still a lot longer than 0.

Lets take a sequence of five mob groups, all same level as you, one strong three trash.

This would represent the journey to the second last fight in the class quest on corellia, or if youve got through those, pretty much life at 50 on Ilum doing anything.

Using Vette, I kill a group, channel rage for maybe 3 seconds to et health back, go to the next group.

With quinn, you just kill one group, run to the next, no channel rage.

I kill each group at least 10 seconds faster with vette.

who has the most efficient time spent killing those 5 groups of mobs.

Edited by Voblat

Sorry if this has been asked and I'm overlooking it somewhere in the swamp of posts. I'm knocking on the door of level 30 with my Marauder and I'm curious as to what you guys recommend I level with up to 50...do i stay with Vette or is Quinn the way to roll?

I love using Jaesa as much as possbile but sadly even at level 50 as a marauder, you have to use Quinn occasionally, You should concentrate on any gear you get as rewards for this companion as it will help you in the long run.

Also, you can give all your handme downs to your last companion, he uses strength as his main endurance, he jsut uses heavy armor instead of light :D

Edited by AcaciaDragon