The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Forum Changes Coming!

AllisonBerryman

When someone is punching me in the face. I will not say thank you when he continues to punch me in the face, but not as hard.

I don't think this is so extreme.

This is like, I was punching you in the face, but now I've stopped and I am thinking about why I did this. Maybe now I will poke your arm instead!

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone is punching me in the face. I will not say thank you when he continues to punch me in the face, but not as hard.

Oh, get down from that cross and spare us, huh? You're not helping. The current forums suck, yes. But they're not comparable to assault, so just knock it off.

Thanks for your constructive feedback! We're looking forward to improving the Forums and getting continued feedback from everyone, and hope the new layout will be helpful and make the Forums much easier to use!

I hate to sound like a nay-sayer, but wouldn't it have been just as easy to make individual server forums? Yes, this helps some, but not very much. Why not just give us the server forums, so that we can communicate with our communities. It doesn't help much to talk about "hosting events and grouping up" with people on other servers. That is what the General Discussion boards are for.

Now if you all would give us a 'mark forums read' option and do something about long names not fitting in the allotted space...:D

I look forward to a suggestions section because things move way too fast in General and I often wonder if you all are really able to catch every single thread.

I hate to sound like a nay-sayer, but wouldn't it have been just as easy to make individual server forums? Yes, this helps some, but not very much. Why not just give us the server forums, so that we can communicate with our communities. It doesn't help much to talk about "hosting events and grouping up" with people on other servers. That is what the General Discussion boards are for.

this reminds me of a great lesson that every photographer learns about tripods.

• when you have a 200 dollar camera, a 30 dollar tripod seems expensive, but it did the job
  • then you upgrade your lens, and your camera equipment is worth 500 bucks, and the 30 dollar tripod is a bit underwhelming
  • you upgrade your tripod to a 60 dollar one that's sturdier, and can open up bigger
  • you upgrade some more lenses, and now the tripod head is too weak
  • you buy a new ballhead that can take the weight, another 100 bucks
  • you upgrade lens some more, and the weight exceeds the tripod again
  • you buy a new tripod
  • now you need a new ballhead again
  • you buy a big lens
  • now you need a gimble mount

with all the upgrades, you end up spending hundreds more in the end, than you would have, if you had simply known what objective you want to reach, and bought the right equipment from the start.

if BW wants to keep revamping the forums as they become necessary, vs. just aiming for the ultimate goal.. well, it's their man hours.

In two simple steps I was FINALLY able to find answers to problems that have bugged me since pre-launch. TWO SECONDS.

Did it really take that long to design a search feature from scratch. I wish I could pat your staff on the back for doing this but this should have been done a long time ago.

Oh, get down from that cross and spare us, huh? You're not helping. The current forums suck, yes. But they're not comparable to assault, so just knock it off.

It's an allegory. The point of which is just because the problem is being reduced doesn't mean it is being solved. In the effort they are spending to diminish the problem they could instead work on making it no longer exist.

Unrelated to these specific new features, but related to the topic of forum changes...

Can you also add the ability to set the local timezone in the forum profile so that we can have forum post times adjusted? Having everything GMT is kind of annoying.

Edited by JCinDE

More proof that despite being constantly attacked by their own "fans" BioWare is always listening and knows how to react in a professional manner. I am already a fan of the way BioWare is handling the release of their new game and the community that goes along with it. I was pretty skeptical when I found out there were no server forums and that BioWare did not intend to build any. Now that I know they have swayed their opinion based on fan feedback I am rather impressed.

I am also very excited to have a suggestion forum because I have had many ideas and didn't know where to put them. They never seemed to fit under any existing board except maybe general where it would get buried by loads of whining, spam, and troll threads.

Thanks BioWare. Keep up the great work. You have me as a fan for as long as you maintain this attitude and dedication to the community (even when you make decisions I don't like, at least I'll know you thought about them first).

Edited by Chevex

These are the things I would like to be added to the forums, and are status quo for every other MMO forum I have been a part of:

1] Of course, return the search capabilities.

2] Have a link for NEW POSTS, which is generally a search function link, that shows you the posts which have been made the most recently, that will span the entire forum sections.

3] A marker on a thread indicating that you have posted there.

4] When you click on the icon to go to the last post u have read, please have it take you to the actual first post you need to read instead of the top of the page, making you have to scroll down and find which post you have to read.

5] An OFF TOPIC forum. While I know this doesn't mean much to Bioware, there are plenty of things the player base want to discuss that are not directly involved with the game. With and Off topic forum, they can hide down there and the moderators don't have to keep closing threads that aren't directly involving SWTOR

6] Is there going to be a Tech forum?

7] Oh! And a LIKE button would be great :D

Like I said, these functions are status quo on every other forum for every other MMO I have played, and it would be very nice to have them initiated on these forums as well. Right now it is so hard to find anything, except maybe if you "follow" every single thread, which becomes pretty cumbersome. Time these forums served the playerbase more.

Thanks! Glad to finally see some work put into this.

Edited by Appletaz

Unrelated to these specific new features, but related to the topic of forum changes...

Can you also add the ability to set the local timezone in the forum profile so that we can have forum post times adjusted? Having everything GMT is kind of annoying.

you can already do that, under "my account" -> "basic information" -> "time zone"

It's an allegory. The point of which is just because the problem is being reduced doesn't mean it is being solved. In the effort they are spending to diminish the problem they could instead work on making it no longer exist.

I think you mean "analogy". And it's a poor one. I stand by what I said.

except it doesn't work...or doesn't seem to. Your post said it was made at 10:39pm, when my timezone setting is set to PST (GMT - 8). It is now 2:41 pm, so...

i've got nothing for ya then. seems like a local problem on your end, because the option is definitely there, and it's definitely working on my end.

maybe try flushing your browser cache / cookies? dunno :rod_confused_g:

Good step in the right direction.

Maybe too late but I think it's a problem that you can post in these forums without an active SWTOR account. This allows people to troll and post misinformation without even owning or playing the game. Or maybe a way to tag if the poster has an active account or not.

Good step in the right direction.

Maybe too late but I think it's a problem that you can post in these forums without an active SWTOR account. This allows people to troll and post misinformation without even owning or playing the game. Or maybe a way to tag if the poster has an active account or not.

You have to have an active subscription to post in the forums. You don't need one to read them, htough.

Why can't we just get individual server forums?

In previous posts, devs made comments that seem to boil down to not granting server forums because they tend to carry forum trolling over into the game, server griefing back into the forums and generally heating up server drama. It appears they prefer to keep the forum side of server communication less direct to keep things more cooled down.

I can sort of see the sense of it since it keeps the back and forth more fleeting as your gameside comments appear and then scroll off the screen and are much harder to refer back too with strongly considered responses but, it hinders more legitimate uses of the forum. Seeing as we get search back, I can cope and won't miss the drama.