Mr Ohlen... I want to comment on what you said to eurogamer

icecoldone

Or they marginalize those opinions by making them sound like part of some vast conspiracy, like what Mr. Ohlen did, and especially like what the OP is doing.

There's a middle-ground being ignored if Ohlen really believes that the negative feedback from this game is just coming from trolls.

It's pretty common for a lot of games where there is a rabid following, have you not followed meta critic ever?

Take a look at what happens with the Call of Duty and BF franchises.

It's common knowledge this kind of thing happens on meta critic all the time. It happens with 10/10 as well.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

I mostly agree that 0/10 are trolls, but the truth is that this game is mediocre at best. Maybe worth a grindy single player game with some multiplayer co-op added in.

If you believe this game deserves anything higher than 6/10 for copying WoW, doing it wrong, launching the game with stupid amounts of game breaking bugs, glitches and exploits, delayed skill response... forget it. You're deluding yourself.

0/10 is not a serious score, but it is not far off the mark.

Bioware is SO getting a false sense of security from the fanboys on this forum, which is why I can't stand fanboys. Now BW devs are starting to regurgitate the same fail logic that the fanboys here spew constantly. Sounds to me like rationalizing.

Has nothing to do with Fanboys. Even if you hate this game 0 out of 10? Come on. Really awful games like Superman 64 don't even deserve a 0 out of 10. So yeah, he is right. People rating 0 of 10 is just blind hate. I could see someone not liking this game giving maybe a 4-5 out of 10 but that's minimum. Or maybe my 0-10 scale is different from others. Id score a 0 out of 10 to a game i couldn't get to work after install. Anyways, people that base what they like and don't like on other peoples opinions and ratings are a waste of time anyways. Think and try things for yourselves.

*edit* If you want to make your criticisms of the game heard, why don't people do it in a responsible manner. Rather than scoring a 0 out of 10 and saying game sucks I'm canceling, people score with logic and explain what they didn't like and what they think could have made it better. You know... logical arguments with thought involved?

Edited by Zazzaro

WoW doesn't need metacritic ratings to destroy TOR both in PvP and PvE, not counting game polish and that kind of thing.

Only better TOR feature is the scenario, and I've finished my main storyline, no reason to sub.

Have fun and see you in a month when you are bored with WoW again...

Now BW devs are starting to regurgitate the same fail logic that the fanboys here spew constantly.

The first time I saw that happen was when DE verbally slapped down the guy who asked about space a few years ago with something about "dicking around in space." The overwhelming weight of requests was merely for 3-axis freedom while keeping the "exciting, cinematic battles", but would constantly get replied to as if the request was to fly off someplace and do nothing.

Seeing a developer, a programmer, someone who above most people should have a sharp sense of logic employ such a weak straw-man/false-dichotomy construct to not just shut down, but outright belittle one of their potential customers for having a concern was an early clue to me about where things might be headed.

I mostly agree that 0/10 are trolls, but the truth is that this game is mediocre at best. Maybe worth a grindy single player game with some multiplayer co-op added in.

If you believe this game deserves anything higher than 6/10 for copying WoW, doing it wrong, launching the game with stupid amounts of game breaking bugs, glitches and exploits, delayed skill response... forget it. You're deluding yourself.

0/10 is not a serious score, but it is not far off the mark.

Sigh, learn what an opinion is. Your opinion is not mine and it's not a fact.

What's with the lack of understanding about this simple concept?

When has the user score on Metacritic been a good source of game feedback.

I mean if you give a game 0/10, that means you can't run it at all, it is impossible to play the game. A game gets a 1/10 if you can at least start the game, user score on metacritic is a waste of time to follow as there are way to many unserious people in the world.

This game has some flaws, but as of now it is the best online game on the market (my opinion) and to give the game less than 8/10 is not proffesionall. SWTOR is very solid game with the smoothest MMO launch I have ever experienced, even if you only played this game throught to the end for 1 character it is worth it as it is a story driven game that takes you at least 150 hours to finish your first playthrough of the story for your character and the planets stories. The fact that this game has so much story to fill in at least 5 normal RPGs is beyond the value of any game out there at the moment.

I could pay full price for a game like CoD and have fun for 6 hours until the campaign was over, then myabe 5 more hours of multiplayer until I would be bored to death. Or I could get a game like SWTOR and play for hours upon hours a day for the same price, even if you do not subscribe past the first months the value you get from your purchase is so different I wonder how these games can be graded in the same scale.

Congrats OP,

It's for gullible people like you that statements like that are made.

^^ Perfect example of someone who is afraid his raiding buddies will leave WoW. I was wondering when you would chime in as you have hated this game from the start. Few more days and you will be gone. I just feel sorry for the GW2 forums.

When has the user score on Metacritic been a good source of game feedback.

I mean if you give a game 0/10, that means you can't run it at all, it is impossible to play the game. A game gets a 1/10 if you can at least start the game, user score on metacritic is a waste of time to follow as there are way to many unserious people in the world.

This game has some flaws, but as of now it is the best online game on the market (my opinion) and to give the game less than 8/10 is not proffesionall. SWTOR is very solid game with the smoothest MMO launch I have ever experienced, even if you only played this game throught to the end for 1 character it is worth it as it is a story driven game that takes you at least 150 hours to finish your first playthrough of the story for your character and the planets stories. The fact that this game has so much story to fill in at least 5 normal RPGs is beyond the value of any game out there at the moment.

I could pay full price for a game like CoD and have fun for 6 hours until the campaign was over, then myabe 5 more hours of multiplayer until I would be bored to death. Or I could get a game like SWTOR and play for hours upon hours a day for the same price, even if you do not subscribe past the first months the value you get from your purchase is so different I wonder how these games can be graded in the same scale.

I like the game and I am playing the game, but this is not the best game on the market by a long shot. I actually think as far as stability goes you can pick just about any other MMO out there. As for content you could rank several MMOs higher. Same thing with challenge. I know its a new game and will be improved upon but when you overlook some of the flaws and follow blind optimism around here when the industry has a horrible track record as a whole you are going to be disappointed.

No mature, rational person would give this game a 0 out of 10, regardless of how disappointed they were with it's state as of today.

0 means it has no merit whatsoever, absolutely nothing was done properly, absolutely nothing was positive or enjoyable. The music alone is worth a point (yes I know it's the same music we've heard since '77, that doesn't change the fact)

I have a very hard time believing someone could honestly feel that way. At the very least, you'd give it a 1/10 for trying, and failing to recreate SWG or something. (not my opinion, I enjoy the game quite a bit, I'd probably give it an 8/10 at least)

Pretty sure there are a lot of defenders who gave the game a 10/10 that they really didn't believe either. But there are hundreds of 10/10's on metacritic and all I can say is that this is NOT a perfect game by any measure.

Pretty sure there are a lot of defenders who gave the game a 10/10 that they really didn't believe either. But there are hundreds of 10/10's on metacritic and all I can say is that this is NOT a perfect game by any measure.

His point remains valid.

Also because people had access to beta and EARLY ACCESS before metacritic allowed ratings?

No way, who could have thought of that!

Yes, but SWTOR does in no way deserve a 0/10, period. That doesn't make remotely any sense. The people who were posting 0/10 reviews were either trolls or they were mentally impaired. I'm going with trolls.

The first time I saw that happen was when DE verbally slapped down the guy who asked about space a few years ago with something about "dicking around in space." The overwhelming weight of requests was merely for 3-axis freedom while keeping the "exciting, cinematic battles", but would constantly get replied to as if the request was to fly off someplace and do nothing.

Seeing a developer, a programmer, someone who above most people should have a sharp sense of logic employ such a weak straw-man/false-dichotomy construct to not just shut down, but outright belittle one of their potential customers for having a concern was an early clue to me about where things might be headed.

It happened a few days ago too when Ohlen made it sound like people having graphics problems in this game all just have horrible, outdated machines. The tone of that interview was "well, we're just doing the best we can to make TOR run on outdated, barely functional machines but, you know, we can only do so much!"

Again, totally regurgitating the stock response from the knights who defend the graphics here on the forums despite the fact that almost everyone complaining of poor graphics performance gives specs that exceed, and often greatly exceed the game's recommended specs.

Metacritc..lol.

I have a better chance of getting an honest review out of my neighbor's cat than from the user reviews on Metacritic.

Most likely scenario is, that it's the same group carrying on the slamming that Dragon Age 2 got, for the reason that this also says Bioware on the box.

Million spacebucks says we see it happen to ME3 too.

It happened a few days ago too when Ohlen made it sound like people having graphics problems in this game all just have horrible, outdated machines. The tone of that interview was "well, we're just doing the best we can to make TOR run on outdated, barely functional machines but, you know, we can only do so much!"

Again, totally regurgitating the stock response from the knights who defend the graphics here on the forums despite the fact that almost everyone complaining of poor graphics performance gives specs that exceed, and often greatly exceed the game's recommended specs.

What was even better is when he said 95% of players have no performance issues and then a split second later says he had no idea what the percentage was. That was hilarious.

"Was not meant as factual information"

His point remains valid.

Except every game gets 0/10's from haters. When you view the metacritic scores relative to other games, the user scores are almost always lower than the critics' scores because of this. Critics never give a game a 0/10. In the mind of a player, a 0/10 is simply a "don't bother" rating. And when you view TOR's metacritic scores relative to other games it's not that amazing. So unless you believe, as Ohlen apparently does, that there's some vast conspiracy specifically directed at TOR and no other games, the user scores for TOR are just as valid as they are for any other game on Metacritic.

Could some of you folks with WoW separation anxiety issues please try to spin it a little less, do ya think?

He mentioned a specific type of feedback, (0/10s on metacritic), and he already pwned your false argument about a conspiracy. He clearly stated that he doesn't even know if the people who were doing it know each other (which is the same as saying "not sure if it's a conspiracy"). For those with a bit of attention span and reading comprehension, this is obvious. Yet somehow, in the WoWbrain, what he said about a specific type of review = "OMG ALL NEGATIVE REVIEW R A KINSPIRUCEE!!" Hint: when you spin like this, you just reinforce our thoughts about a certain type of WoW player and their motives.

Try harder. Really. We get that you have insane amounts of time and probably money invested in WoW, and that this is likely what really drives you to hate on everything else, and the longer you "concern troll" other MMO forums, the sooner your type is going to become just another internet joke. So enjoy the back-patting from other misanthropes and lulz while you can. You've had a good run but your little pity-party won't last forever.

Yes, but SWTOR does in no way deserve a 0/10, period. That doesn't make remotely any sense. The people who were posting 0/10 reviews were either trolls or they were mentally impaired. I'm going with trolls.

Neither does SWTOR deserve a 10/10. In fact if you only take reviews from 4-7 and then read them you actually get a nice view of the game.

Could also be that the critics score is not high because the game is not that amazing afterall.

Just wanna throw that option out there:D

We aren't discussing people that are giving it a low rating but 0/10.

Same thing happens with COD and BF, the fanbois and trolls go to the 'other' product and do this kind of thing.

"The user rating of Star Wars: The Old Republic on Metacritic is lower, however - but Ohlen was quick to explain why he thinks that is.

"Oh that's easy," he retorted. "Several of the designers were watching the Metacritic page when it finally came up and what happened was there is a community out there, and we don't know who they are - it could be a bunch of different people - who aren't really playing the game but have a vested interest in hating the game. And we saw literally hundreds of 0/10s come up within the first couple of hours of Metacritic coming on. So it was people who weren't even playing the game basically putting on that they hated it."

THis is an extract from an interview with Eurogamer.

When you say it could be a bunch of different people.

No it's not a bunch of different people. It's the self proclaimed "WoW Veterans".

And their reason for hating is a simple one.

They don't want anything to compare to wow. They want WoW to remain the undisputed king for all time. Why they care so much that other people are playing a different game comes down to the fact they are uphappy that WoW is dieing and they are doing what they can to destroy other games.

They have done this to every single other mmo to come out and they have succeeded in destroying the community of other games. They troll new mmo forums (especially the big name titles) to increase the intensity of every problem the game has.

At the end of the day that's the truth. People hate your game cos they want want WoW or GW2 to be the champion. In their eyes you never stood a chance. Yes i admit i wanted FFXIV to win not you but at the end of the day you won.

It is important for me to admit this cos this genre is dieing big time. It hasn't moved forward for almost 7 years and if TRUE GAMERS don't speak up we will lose one of the greatest genres available to gaming.

This is what these trolls don't understand

The other option is that Blizzard is actually paying people to troll you. Yes it could be other companies as well but i'm glad you recongnise something is up.

The reason your not getting all 90s

Simple answer to this. The media has no idea what fans want from an mmo. How could they when nethier the fans or devs knew what anyone wanted from an mmo.

However the media still has to churn out their media garbage. So what have they taken to doing? let me tell you their dumb tatic.

They simply listen to what are the major whines. Sum that up and spit it out. why cos they think they are saying what the fans want to hear. Either that or they've been bribed.

Let me give you and example.

Do you know how many times i've heard that your space shooter is not X-wing versus tie fighter. It's on every single review.

It's not X-wing versus Tie FIghter

over and over from each review

I have neverd played bloody X-wing versus Tie Fighter and i already hate it.

I mean what the hell.

The space shooter isn't bad but don't rate the game down cos it's not as good as a fully fleshed out game dedicated to space shooting.

I mean jesus.

Finally

I'm afraid the final reason you got lower scores that you soooo deserved is cos really you did take a while to release this game and well.....There hasn't been anything since wow and therefore the boom time of mmos has gone.

Bioware we've had to wait 7 years for a new Triple A MMO.

7 years. That's too long and has affect the industry that people either want nothing to do with WoW or anything that could be considered WoW, or they hate anything that's not got orcs.

You will still do very well but i just wanted to say to you mister Ohlen you did a fantastic job and deserver alot more 10/10s but however times has just been bad for us for so long. the excitment as gone from this young genre and well all that's left is Jadded WoW Veterans and silly Media with no clue.

However i have stopped reading gamespot just to let you know. Not just cos of this game but there have been a number of games i though we pathetic and they got 9s and some that were actually quite good and did poorly.

I mean for example while dragon age was praised as an amazing game. And indeed i thought it was very good. I'm amazed it didn't get more 8s out of 10s due to it's combat system I thought was convoluted and very annoying sometimes.

However there you go. Sometimes you can get away with murder in this genre you can't even get away with doing the right thing.

Bioware you did an amazing job and please be proud of yourselves

icecoldone out

im a wow veteran from day 1, my wow accoutn expires tomorow, i raided lastnight for the lastime with my guild, and not once since this games launch has it been talked about even once. the star wars fan boys who think this is the best game ever need to realize that haters come from everywhere and there is no rhyme or reason to believe otherwise. people like to hate. look at all the 0 modern warfare 3 got, yet it still sold what, 15 million copies to date?

bottom line is metacritic user scores are beyond worthless. and to be fair, video game review sites are almsot the same.http://digitaljournal.com/article/246790. this article here talks about a reviewer being fired for not towing the company line on a game a few years back that was a heavy advertiser to that site.

players need to play demos, and make thier own calls on games.

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your thoughts on the subject. We do appreciate both the support and the constructive criticism. However, we also ask that threads in the general discussion forum be related to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Since this one is mostly about the community and meta-critic ratings, we're going to close it.

In the future, please create threads that encourage gameplay discussion and not ones which criticize the community.

Thanks!