The Legacy Alt: Play yourself as a companion!

swdrgn

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how, if this had been posted as "I want to dual-box," the replies would have been nearly 100% negative. I guess it's all in how you say it.

Personally, as cool as this sounds, I can't see how this could possibly work. One of the things that makes companions usable is that they have a limited skillset. The companion the OP's proposing would need to be severely stripped-down to be playable. There'd also be fairly major story and voiceover issues to handle.

It sounds cool on the surface, but the devil's in the details.

I'm not sure it would be as hard as your making it out to be there. The companion responses could be in line with your characters current alignment leaning (and could come from their already populated voice catalog of responses). As stated by the original poster and many since, the alt you "companionize" wouldn't be earning xp so its not really a quick leveling scam. I would imagine your skill options would pull from either your most used skills or defining character skills (my sawbones main would primarily have his healing skills, my vanguard would primarily have his taunt based skills). I actually think allowing the companion to have access to all their skills would make it unreasonable to coordinate as a companion, but allowing them access to their higher level skills would reflect the nature of the relationship between the companions (e.g. if my smuggler was level 50 and my trooper was level 20 the smuggler should still have his ship callin skill even when he's acting as a 20th level companion).

I like it, its simple (relatively) and really gives the legacy system a feeling of family implementation. You could then have that epic family moment when Darth Vader turns on the Emperor to save Luke. Now really, now amazing would that be?

Personally, as cool as this sounds, I can't see how this could possibly work. One of the things that makes companions usable is that they have a limited skillset. The companion the OP's proposing would need to be severely stripped-down to be playable. There'd also be fairly major story and voiceover issues to handle.

I don't speak for everyone, obviously, but I'd be fine with the alt-companions being stripped down to the core powers that a companion of the same class would have. I don't think anyone here believes that they should be able to play their main, with an alt comp that has ALL of their player abilities. When used as a companion, your alt should be scaled down, appropriately. Really, it's all about visuals and the shared legacy, to me.

One of the things that makes companions usable is that they have a limited skillset. The companion the OP's proposing would need to be severely stripped-down to be playable. There'd also be fairly major story and voiceover issues to handle.

Yea I already thought of this. The higher level character who become a companion to a lower level alt will only have and use the abilities and skill/spells availble at that level for their class.

Everquest 2 has a mentor system where a high level character could group with a lower level and have their higher level skills either removed or watered down.

For Story sequence one of Three things happen. Either your alt is dismissed or stands in the background saying or doing nothing, or your selected real compaion drops back in. Also as it currently is. You can fight with one companion, and dismiss them, and summopn the other before you start a story sequence (for affection purposes)

Alt companions would have no voice , if they did, it would be stuff already recorded and used like "consider it done" or "whats in it for me' :"yes my master" etc

But what would you do about Class Story associated with an alt?

They could handle it similiarly the way that they do in the Inquisitor story line (and im sure others) where you are forced to take a certain companion for certain situations.

I.E:

the end of Act 1 forces you to take Khem Val instead of Adronikos for the fight against Zash.

Edited by RefugeASSASSIN

Yea I already thought of this. The higher level character who become a companion to a lower level alt will only have and use the abilities and skill/spells availble at that level for their class.

Well, see, that's sort of my point. I can't see that being workable. Have you seen how many skills a PC has? Now look at how many a companion has.

They'd need to be stripped down a lot farther than you're suggesting to be usable as a companion.

Edited by imtrick

Well, see, that's sort of my point. I can't see that being workable. Have you seen how many skills a PC has? Now look at how many a companion has.

They'd need to be stripped down a lot farther than you're suggesting to be usable as a companion.

Oh I know, I have skills up the wazoo. I suggested that a stance would help make it more reasonable. So a heal / dps / tank stance . You set what stance you want your alt companion to do, and they will do within the best of their abilies to fulfill that role. I know it sounds a bit fudged but like I said I am not a developer :)

*wipes sweat off of brow* Whew, tragedy averted. Almost messed up my whole entire weekend all because I dared to post before reading your post. Next time I'll keep a refreshed page of the thread open in another tab while typing my own post up. Thank you, non-counterfeit Michael.

I love you! ^^

I'd love to see this idea.

As it stands, my companions receive the scraps I find for them because they're only useful in certain situations.

If I had my alts as companions, I'd have all the reason in the world to make sure their gear was up to snuff.

Hmm, you know, this system, if implemented, could also make BOP gear work for your ALT. I don't see any reason why, if an item drops while your ALT-COMP is being used, you can't share the item with them.

Hmm, you know, this system, if implemented, could also make BOP gear work for your ALT. I don't see any reason why, if an item drops while your ALT-COMP is being used, you can't share the item with them.

Yea it could I never thought of it that way. You just click the companion tab and drag and drop. I could see people in a group rolling need for BOP armor they cant wear and say "hey I need it for my alt!" lol

Edited by swdrgn

Yea it could I never thought of it that way. You just click the companion tab and drag and drop. I could see people in a group rolling need for BOP armor they cant wear and say "hey I need it for my alt!" lol

Well damn, that would open another can o' worms, but I think the positives out-weigh the potential negatives, in this case. :D

I thought this same thing, right after I posted that: legacy is all about giving advantages anyway. Makes me wonder if those Legacy talents have level restrictions, or will new level one alts be able to use them right off the bat? It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I also discovered from a friend that there are Epic Rakata versions of some of the Biochem stuff, including a reuseable stim and medpack. Just thought I'd pass that along.

They have already said that there will be bind on legacy items - I would assume this would be the happy medium. I think the most powerful items in the game really shouldn't be able to be given to all your alts, but having a pretty darn powerful one would be pretty cool.

This was a subject of a post a few weeks ago and I agreed there as well.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=97363

here is a quote from that thread on how i thought it would work, with a few minor edits to better explain my thoughts.

it would work like the bolster system. items the alt/main was using would level down or up to the equivalent gear quality of the level of the character being played. after first use of the alt, it would be saved as a companion and items would work just like all other companions and would neend to be upgraded as you level.

the abilities would be a select set of abilities based on AC. Sorcerers would have lightning and heals like Talos Drellik, while assassins would have stikes and tanking abilities Khem Val.

This is awesome!

Honestly, don't give the alt-companion access to all their skills. Bioware could just create 16 (one for each Adv. Class) skill bars that are comparable to regular companions. So a mercenary would have a healing and dps stance, as well as some heals and dps skills, while a juggernaut would have tank and dps stance, etc. etc.

Also, on gear.... I kinda say the alt just looks like whatever gear they have on normally, and that you can't modify it, it just scales down (or up), that would probably be the simplest method, and the least open for abuse.

edit: and monegames beat me to it while I was typing... lol!

Edited by MorpheousXO