[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

No that's not the "only" reason. Granted they cut a corner with the reflections for the republic fleet (i saw that pic a a few days ago), but playing the game with environ settings set the way they intended them to be set, you won't see them anyway. Having LOD set to -3 makes the reflections look horrible and ruin the diffuse texture.

Oh and please explain how the settings with LOD set to 0 appear "choppy". setting it to LOD -3 makes them look far more choppy as they put the alpha compression in a much worse state causing sever pixelation around edges.

setting it to -3 is the only way to have particle effect affect your armor ( when you swing a lightsaber the color will degrade and regrade your armor based on the color of your lightsaber ) if you set it to 0 it simply illuminate your character and look fugly...if they intented their particle effect to look like 1999 well i'm sorry.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enabling high textures will put a strain on your video card. The rendering engine is not optimized and will burn out most peoples video cards.

That is why it is not enabled. Just like back in the day with Starcraft 2 launch with it ui. It was proven to push heat over the top and fry people's vid cards.

That is the only explaination I have. Ever notice heat /fan spin up in cutsceens? That is because their rendering engine is trashing you gpu.

nope.

in fact the game rarely usings 99% gpu. it hovers around 36-75% and my fan never goes above 40% and temperatures never above 78.

gtx 570 classified, latest beta drivers.

i bid you good day sir.

The graphical options for the upcoming 'The Secret World' were recently leaked from beta, take a look! As you can see the game has over 10 options to configure, including Motion Blur, FXAA, and View Distance.

http://imageshack.us/f/24/thesecretworldgraphical.jpg/

I would like to see an FXAA option in SWTOR. Forcing supersampling right now great improves the visuals but with FXAA their would be little to no performance impact.

unfortunately secret world is being made by funcom and has a bad habit of flopping releases.

The high-resolution client was available during beta and was available on launch day.

The game was not advertised with DX10. The developers said they wanted to implement DX10, but DX10 came out during the game's beta so they weren't able to have it in for release.

I would like to comment on the images in your tagline as they relate to my own experience. The world looks fine, you know, mostly anyway. My speeder, the floor in port/fleet, etc.. What makes it stand out to any gamer is how the character gear looks in contrast to the scenery, and even their own nude body. My face looks fine, the detail in my beard and eyes, or tats., but then there is this huge disconnect between the quality of my face and other objects on my body like my gear. It really makes you pause and stare and think, wait. This cant be right? Can it? Really?

Edited by Redorbz

Hey everyone, this may be a little OT but I don't know where else to post it, and don't feel it''s special enough to warrant it's own thread.

I'm getting a max of 24 fps on LOW settings, no shadows, no vsync, running in compatibility mode Windows XP Service Pack 3(I have Windows 7), dropping to 13-14 fps when in crowded areas or buildings.

My specs are as follows:

Intel i3 3.1 ghz processor

ATI Radeon HD 5450

4GB Ram

1 TB Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227290

That's off the top of my head(at work atm), but I'm pretty sure those are accurate. I'm not too tech-savvy, so I couldn't figure out how to turn anti-aliasing on in Catalyst(then again I'm not sure if it would help or which setting to turn it to), and didn't want to overclock it since I don't know the consequences nor if it would help. I'm just pretty stunned that my computer gets higher FPS in SC2 than this game, and changing from high to low makes a very marginal difference(something like 5 fps). I'd like to make sure there's nothing else I can do before going out and buying a new graphics card/power supply. I'd just like to play without it being choppy and looking decent

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps <3

Quickly i would say upgrading to 8Gb of ram would be the cheapeast way to test if it's a hardware problem for you.

Without spending dough you could check :

-your swtor folder make sure it is 19.5gig ( beta client seem to glitch)

- delete client_settings.ini and client_mirror.ini in the users/%username%/appdata/swtor/swtor/settings ( the game will recreate brand new one for you in case it was bugged)

-Defrag your hard disk ( ****** patcher is ******)

-Disable UAC in windows check google or swtor forum for that but your computer should't need this step at all.

The graphical options for the upcoming 'The Secret World' were recently leaked from beta, take a look! As you can see the game has over 10 options to configure, including Motion Blur, FXAA, and View Distance.

http://imageshack.us/f/24/thesecretworldgraphical.jpg/

I would like to see an FXAA option in SWTOR. Forcing supersampling right now great improves the visuals but with FXAA their would be little to no performance impact.

Yeah those look exactly like Aoc, which is a fun game, with lots of great voice acting. But that interface and those options are in AoC too.

Edited by Redorbz

Enabling high textures will put a strain on your video card. The rendering engine is not optimized and will burn out most peoples video cards.

That is why it is not enabled. Just like back in the day with Starcraft 2 launch with it ui. It was proven to push heat over the top and fry people's vid cards.

That is the only explaination I have. Ever notice heat /fan spin up in cutsceens? That is because their rendering engine is trashing you gpu.

The temperature issue with SC2 and later for a bit in the WoW Cata expansion was due to the framerate. Without an ini workaround, the bug was allowing cards to attempt to render too many frames per second - the byproduct of such being extreme temperatures and fried cards.

Edited by shhael

So, seriously, the last word we're going to get on this is the PR spin from SR? No producer attempt to put out fires that are popping up on game news sites or here in their own forums? I really need a more solid reassurance than what they gave us with regard to trying to improve 'fidelity.'

Well they should because it is an obvious glitch.

At least in march they plan to have things all fixed up. Now that's a company that works with the community.

"A company that works with the community."

Uh.. huh.

A company that shows you high def graphics in ads and in beta but disables them in the actual game, is called out on it, then admits it... yet still releases ads showing high def graphics is deceptive, not one that works with the community.

You know what Bioware was hoping? They were hoping we'd be so overwhelmed by the lightsabers that we wouldn't notice the game wasn't finished, they were hoping that their users would be too stupid to actually go into the game files and find these things out.

Bioware was betting on the stupidity of their player base to make their game a success.

Sadly with a lot of them they succeeded.

So, seriously, the last word we're going to get on this is the PR spin from SR? No producer attempt to put out fires that are popping up on game news sites or here in their own forums? I really need a more solid reassurance than what they gave us with regard to trying to improve 'fidelity.'

Well it took them...3? days to craft that full of BS PR spin so imagine how long it will take them to craft up something to put out these fires. How many lawyers have to be consulted? How many EA 'suits' have to get involved? =P

Yeah those look exactly like Aoc, which is a fun game, with lots of great voice acting. But that interface and those options are in AoC too.

AOC's graphic engine is head and shoulders above any MMO on the market. too bad they F'd up there launch so bad it was a great game a year after

It is just disgusting that Bioware uses graphics in a 'gameplay' trailer that can't even be used in the actual game. That is ridiculous.

agreed. a bit pissed about that. as they have luxury in house and i bet the computers they use are the same specs if not a bit better than what i use.

Edited by Threefiddie

I'm wondering the same - I mean they certainly do know that nobody believes this BS statement, yet they just go on as if nothing happened? :confused:

Edited by Quorthun

I'm wondering the same - I mean they certainly do know that nobody believes this ******** statement, yet they just go on as nothing happened? :confused:

I can remedy your confusion. This is EA's business as usual. case closed.

I find it hard to believe the actual programmers and developers or artists made this choice. Whoever leads them made this choice and then they just did their jobs. Just like stephen reid is parroting whatever they prepared for him.

I doubt he came up with that statement without at least 1 EA exec making edits first.

I would bet any of you that all of this wouldve been avoided if EA had no hands in this game.

Definitely don't count on another response anytime soon. Stephen Reid has only made one Twitter post today and it was to say he was going out of town for a long weekend and wouldn't be back until Tuesday.

Apparently he had no comment to those of us who tweeted him yesterday asking why Bioware is still using high res textures in their PR materials.