[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I hear from that dev post is:

YOU WANT HIGH QUALITY TEXTURES?! YOU CAN'T HANDLE HIGH QUALITY TEXTURES!

Why it isn't made an option, which is, you know, optional, is beyond me.

I think if that happened, there would be a forum post from people screaming about how the game is crap because their high end pc's cant run it on high, dont know which one was the easier route out :S remove a feature, or add a feature which possibly wont work (according to them) I played beta and the textures and performance worked fine, seems they must have hit some bad issues later.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/kolbenwarrior/bustedcrap.jpg

Taken during TBC. Couple things on WoW textures, they actually went back and cleaned them up a lot just prior to Cataclysm. It was very noticeable and looked really good. The other thing is they tend to make really detailed skins for models. Since it's release you have been able to spot someone's race, class, basic look and what gear they are wearing from max draw distance. There is no mistaking a female undead rogue wearing full tier 2 with perdition's blade ... from as far away as you can see them you can identify these things about them.

Okay, so back on SWTOR. I am REALLY REALLY disapponited that they chose to handle this technical problem this way. I get that they want the game to be accessible to lower end PCs, great. Why in the world would you basically force everyone to use low end graphics settings? All this has done is bring a lot of scrutiny on the game in it's first few weeks after launch and cause LOADS of headaches for people who have systems that KNOW can handle much better graphics.

I love this game. I have to say though, the track record so far is lame. Fix it up so that we can play a game that looked like the beta if your system can handle it. If I am going to run a gaming rig that can handle any other title at max settings with no FPS issues, I am not going to stick around in one that requires a bunch of tweaks to eek out just enough FPS that I am not distracted by it the whole time I am playing.

Also, if the game looked like those promotional screenshots I would play it even at 30 FPS just to have it look THAT GOOD. But since this is impossible and my graphics and FPS is ****** anyway lol, come on have some sense ffs.

I think if that happened, there would be a forum post from people screaming about how the game is crap because their high end pc's cant run it on high, dont know which one was the easier route out :S remove a feature, or add a feature which possibly wont work (according to them) I played beta and the textures and performance worked fine, seems they must have hit some bad issues later.

And whose fault would that be ?

Many games come to market with high end settings the vast majority of pc gamers have trouble with. Many deal with them or upgrade their PCs.

I have never once seen a company actually remove settings because they want their "high" to fit everyone.

This isn't Soviet Russia one plan fits all.

I was fully aware that the pictures were incredibly old, but it pushes my point that most games dont start out incredibly good straight off the bat, you're comparing something that has just come out of production and still needs to work through its issues, to something that has been around for 8 years and had several texture overhauls in its time.

Understandably swtor is a current game and should contain improved features due to it being brand new but then again they have alot of features which have to be taken into consideration compared to wow, for instance the shader in swtor seems to support much greater bump/normal maps as well as cubemapped reflections on reflective surfaces, both games handle their textures differently as well as the priorities in which their shown.

Im in no way saying WoW has bad graphics/Textures, alot of the stuff is incredible but im saying crucifying swtor against it as it has come from production is hardly a great way to promote your disappointment in the developers. The armour seems to be the biggest issue in the game from alot of peoples posts but so far the environments and content has been absolutely amazing.

But in 2012 they should start off looking good. Technology is better, engines should be better, pratices are better. Games being made today have the luxury of a full 7 years of WoW development to look back over to see what was done wrong and right. Lots off MMO's are releasing with high res textures, look at tera for instance. To just say all mmo's start off with bad graphics is just a fanboy excuse because the devs have a plethera of research and devopment pratices to look at.

WoW has made all the mistakes for them, this game shouldnt look worse or be so badly optimised

But in 2012 they should start off looking good. Technology is better, engines should be better, pratices are better. Games being made today have the luxury of a full 7 years of WoW development to look back over to see what was done wrong and right. Lots off MMO's are releasing with high res textures, look at tera for instance. To just say all mmo's start off with bad graphics is just a fanboy excuse because the devs have a plethera of research and devopment pratices to look at.

WoW has made all the mistakes for them, this game shouldnt look worse or be so badly optimised

Spot on, sir.

Just to add when WoW released back in 04 it actually looked quite good for that time.

To give us an answer like this and no more than a day later release promotional materials using high resolution textures and effects is disingenuous at best.

Honesty and trust are what the foundations of good customer relations are built on. I now feel that the foundation of this castle is built on sand.

I also feel that we are going to experience EA customer relations 101: Put fingers in ears and go "la la la la la" until the "problems" (being us) go away.

To give us an answer like this and no more than a day later release promotional materials using high resolution textures and effects is disingenuous at best.

Honesty and trust are what the foundations of good customer relations are built on. I now feel that the foundation of this castle is built on sand.

I also feel that we are going to experience EA customer relations 101: Put fingers in ears and go "la la la la la" until the "problems" (being us) go away.

I always pictured EA as a bunch of executives in suits slapping each other with handfuls of hundred dollar bills during their board room meetings.

Can we get a response as to why you are still marketing the game with textures and settings that are impossible to achieve with your live client?

See today's press pack at MMORPG.com for an example.

just to remind everyone of this again, the press release pics looked awesome, if the game would look like that I'd love it. and what the OP of this said: why are you advertising with that material if you clearly said to us the sh*t textures we have are all we will get for now?

I was playing around with some Nvidia inspector tweaks and over riding the game's handling of AA and anisotropic filtering instead of just enabling it in the ini and letting the game engine handle it. There was a huge improvement on armor crispness and texture sharpness in general.

No it didn't magicly make them high rez, but it took probably 80% of the bury mush out of them and made them presentable. I also picked up 20 fps in the process and ended up with a surprisingly realistic looking skin tone and hair.

It only required turning how to render things from the game's control to the video card... there's something very wrong when the video card can render things more efficiently than the game engine. Usually overriding like that results in a huge performance penalty since it's using non optimized methods.

I'm certainly not an expert at graphics optimization, I pretty much was just turning things on to see if I could get something a bit nicer looking. Here's what I came up with so far to try and help while Bioware decides to do something about this or else ignore threads with more than 40,000 views filling up every day.

My computer is slightly faster than average so these settings obviously might not work for everyone, but there was no noticeable slowdown either in PvP or large open environments.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2069/swtorsettings.jpg

I can't believe this"Remote Rendering" story,that would explain a lot of things especially that 30 seconds freeze that occur sometimes when I hit "Attack" and when the image is back I'm dead.

But it's so big that I just can't believe it,it's better than any conspiracy thread I've read since I don't know when.Just can't believe it.

EDIT/Are you guys serious?And then Ppl wonder why they have an input lag when they fire a Skill.

Edited by TucoR

I spent some time playing around with settings on several computers and I found following:

On my desktop (Phenom II x4 3.2, SSD, 8GB RAM, Radeon 5850) average fps in 1920x1080 is above 100 (High settings, shadows disabled). When the ugly looking shadows are enabled, fps goes somewhere around 70. When you see other playe(s), it goes further down to approx 40. In my case, it was the same drop for 1 player as well as for 15 players in PvP)

On the laptop (corei5 2.4, 7200rpm, 8GB RAM GT540M 1366x768) the situation is nearly the same. Significant change in performance when you turn on the shadows, and additional decrease when you see other players.

Than I decided to try it on low performance device (core i7 2.1, SSD, 8GB RAM, Intel HD) Having everything on low/disabled the game is frankly speaking unplayable. The fps is somewhere around 2 – 15.

Why I am posting this to discussion about hi-res textures? The results I got make me think, there is something wrong in the engine, and that is why they decided to exclude hi-res textures from the game. If the horrible shadows can cut the fps nearly to half, god knows, what can happen with good textures enabled. People are asking for an option to turn it on by themselves on high end machines, but what if it they will go from 150fps to eg 20? Being in the shoes of someone with decent SLI/Gross-fire configuration and seeing such performance issues, I would freak out. And discussions would be rightfully full of complains.

What I also don’t understand, why the low performance laptop I mentioned above (Lenovo x201 Tablet PC) can not run the game on low settings. Anyone saw, how the game looks on low? It is not even looking like game from current decade and I can hardly imagine anyone playing it with such settings. If I can imagine any reason for existence of such a low settings, it would be because of big crowd with integrated intel graphis in the laptops.

Yes, the game is at its start and issues are expected. I am fine with occasional bugs, missing high end content and balance issues. What is much hared to accept is the fact, that we are seeing issues caused by poor optimization and engine itself. But even that one would not be such a drama, if it would be communicated in some other way. Instead of removing medium settings and indicating, that SWTOR was never meant as nicely looking game (that I still find hard to believe) keep the current Low/Medium/High options and just gray out the high until the issue is fixed. Together with post explaining the problem, ETA and regular status updates, situation could look differently.

So please, take some time and optimize the game so low performance computers can run it on low settings, average computers on medium and high-end devices on really high. And please add also more options to specify the graphics settings like every other PC game. Looking at our actual "high" settings on 32" screen is sometimes quite irritating :-).

I like this game, but currently available graphics is really behind actual industry standards.

Edited by Kyarc

PERHAPS you should goto EA's website and actually see how individual studios are handled in fact if i wanted to open a studio under EA called troller mctrollerson studios

if i had the credentials they would publish my games on their dollar while i do all the creating. under MY DOLLAR.

you have no CLUE as to how EA works do you?

No, I do. You however, no clue at all.

I spent some time playing around with settings on several computers and I found following:

On my desktop (Phenom II x4 3.2, SSD, 8GB RAM, Radeon 5850) average fps in 1920x1080 is above 100 (High settings, shadows disabled). When the ugly looking shadows are enabled, fps goes somewhere around 70. When you see other playe(s), it goes further down to approx 40. In my case, it was the same drop for 1 player as well as for 15 players in PvP)

On the laptop (corei5 2.4, 7200rpm, 8GB RAM GT540M 1366x768) the situation is nearly the same. Significant change in performance when you turn on the shadows, and additional decrease when you see other players.

Than I decided to try it on low performance device (core i7 2.1, SSD, 8GB RAM, Intel HD) Having everything on low/disabled the game is frankly speaking unplayable. The fps is somewhere around 2 – 15.

Why I am posting this to discussion about hi-res textures? The results I got make me think, there is something wrong in the engine, and that is why they decided to exclude hi-res textures from the game. If the horrible shadows can cut the fps nearly to half, god knows, what can happen with good textures enabled. People are asking for an option to turn it on by themselves on high end machines, but what if it they will go from 150fps to eg 20? Being in the shoes of someone with decent SLI/Gross-fire configuration and seeing such performance issues, I would freak out. And discussions would be rightfully full of complains.

What I also don’t understand, why the low performance laptop I mentioned above (Lenovo x201 Tablet PC) can not run the game on low settings. Anyone saw, how the game looks on low? It is not even looking like game from current decade and I can hardly imagine anyone playing it with such settings. If I can imagine any reason for existence of such a low settings, it would be because of big crowd with integrated intel graphis in the laptops.

Yes, the game is at its start and issues are expected. I am fine with occasional bugs, missing high end content and balance issues. What is much hared to accept is the fact, that we are seeing issues caused by poor optimization and engine itself. But even that one would not be such a drama, if it would be communicated in some other way. Instead of removing medium settings and indicating, that SWTOR was never meant as nicely looking game (that I still find hard to believe) keep the current Low/Medium/High options and just gray out the high until the issue is fixed. Together with post explaining the problem, ETA and regular status updates, situation could look differently.

So please, take some time and optimize the game so low performance computers can run it on low settings, average computers on medium and high-end devices on really high. And please add also more options to specify the graphics settings like every other PC game. Looking at our actual "high" settings on 32" screen is sometimes quite irritating :-).

I like this game, but currently available graphics is really behind actual industry standards.

indeed

Quite disheartening that we are getting only console quality graphics and very dumbed down graphics preference settings in this game which cost a premium price and also requires a premium monthly subscription.

As tons of other people have said, why is it that 98% of the other PC games out there for the last 10 years have had advanced graphics settings and this doesn't? I would think that if we are even playing SWTOR, it shows that we are atleast PC game veterans (mostly I would bet) and unlike console players, know how to tweak settings for best gameplay on our own machines.

Pathetic that other games like Rift (which was developed in a fraction of the time this was) have much more stellar graphics. Since the graphics are there in cutscenes and were there in the beta, it must not be something that should reasonably take eons to fix, and not even a week. It would simply be adding the disallowed/removed ability of advanced graphics control to the client.

Rant for ages on this, and yeah I love the game, but I love pushing my PC to the graphical max, and as it stands, I could run 5 instances of SWTOR on high settings no prob.