the tedium of fighting high level silvers is killing this game for me.

UjellyTrollicus

There are a few silvers in the game that are borderline too strong, but once you get down the flow of your class, it isn't such a bother anymore.

Also, if they're mixed into groups of little baddies, CC works wonders. This is not the game that you can really face-roll around in with little to no consequence.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I leveled as a Medic spec Operative using Scorpio to Tank.

For double Strongs I just CC one and we burn the second. DoT, Backstab, Shiv then Debilitate to stun, repeat. It always went pretty fast so I don't see how a DPS would be slower.

For 2 Strongs plus a pile of Weak mobs I would Sleep one Strong the put my Companion on Passive and LOS pull the pack to me then AoE down the Weak mobs while Scorpio holds the Strong. It's fun actually. Kiting, LOS, CC. I feel like I'm playing an MMO again.

Strong mobs at high level require you to use all of your abilities. CC, temporary stuns, knockbacks, everything. You need to especially pay attention to their long casts and interrupt them with any and all available resources.

I personally enjoy the challenge.

this! and im loveing takeing down lvl 45 mobs at lvl 40, longish fights but very satisfiying imo

You're complaining that something takes effort to accomplish. The fact that you don't understand how fundamentally ridiculous this is shows that you shouldn't be playing an MMO.

Your masochism shouldn't effect other people.

It has nothing to do with MMOs. I've been playing them since 98, on an almost daily basis. They didn't used to be this way.

Silver levels should be weaker than the player. Not total pushover weak, but pretty close. The thing is, effort is good. Difficulty is good. The problem is that it needs to be balanced. Would you like a game where every monster you face is a boss fight? Where it takes several hours to get through a stage because you're having to do it over and over, and every fight is killing you, or pushing you to your limits? If you do, you're in the minority. That kind of thing wears normal people out. It's why games like Demon Souls and now Dark Souls aren't played by your average gamer.

Look at any game. You tear through normal enemies, as you work your way towards whatever your goal is, and then when you get there, you face a challenge. It has to be paced that way, because the player builds up motivation and begins having fun due to how powerful they feel. This is what makes the boss feel strong, and the peons feel weak, and thus makes the player feel like a hero. When everything is kicking the crap out of you, you just feel weak. You question if you're doing something wrong, you get frustrated, and you lose motivation to play.

This is how the game is for the beginning. However on the last handful of planets they seem to pile more and more silver and gold level mobs onto you. This would be fine so long as the player still feels like they have momentum and are strong, but in a lot of cases it just slows the progress of the quests down. It just doesn't seem to in most cases.

Your masochism shouldn't effect other people.

It has nothing to do with MMOs. I've been playing them since 98, on an almost daily basis. They didn't used to be this way.

Silver levels should be weaker than the player. Not total pushover weak, but pretty close. The thing is, effort is good. Difficulty is good. The problem is that it needs to be balanced. Would you like a game where every monster you face is a boss fight? Where it takes several hours to get through a stage because you're having to do it over and over, and every fight is killing you, or pushing you to your limits? If you do, you're in the minority. That kind of thing wears normal people out. It's why games like Demon Souls and now Dark Souls aren't played by your average gamer.

Look at any game. You tear through normal enemies, as you work your way towards whatever your goal is, and then when you get there, you face a challenge. It has to be paced that way, because the player builds up motivation and begins having fun due to how powerful they feel. This is what makes the boss feel strong, and the peons feel weak, and thus makes the player feel like a hero. When everything is kicking the crap out of you, you just feel weak. You question if you're doing something wrong, you get frustrated, and you lose motivation to play.

This is how the game is for the beginning. However on the last handful of planets they seem to pile more and more silver and gold level mobs onto you. This would be fine so long as the player still feels like they have momentum and are strong, but in a lot of cases it just slows the progress of the quests down. It just doesn't seem to in most cases.

Weak mobs are weaker than the player..hence the name. Strong are on par with the player but AI makes them inferior. It's perfect TBH.

Again. I don't have CC. What do I do? Besides die.

I played a mara, now that I'm over geared for content it's pretty simple. Yet, other classes do things better because of the tools they have. So my advice? Reroll, if you play the counter part to mara.

Again. I don't have CC. What do I do? Besides die.

So you have no CC, but do you have a pet that does? I have no clue but I an't for the life of me imagine you wouldn't. Seems to me the pet system is designed to give players a balanced and formidable fighting team no matter what spec you have chosen. I'd also venture to say if you personally do not have CC then you must have extremely high dps output. In that case, you have two choices, murder the weak quickly and then focus on strong, or murder the strong quickly and pick off the weak mobs afterwards. I'm sure its situational, you'll want to kill any mobs that cc, heal, interrupt, or have a long cast high dps move.

To the gentleman who responded to me, I have no idea what class you play, I imagine a high dps output class. I rolled healer, so my fights take longer, and where I am at now strong mob pats tend to join my party, so for me, its been enjoyably challenging.

I played a mara, now that I'm over geared for content it's pretty simple. Yet, other classes do things better because of the tools they have. So my advice? Reroll, if you play the counter part to mara.

Right, I agree with you. When you overgear/overlevel it isn't an issue, but on level quests shouldn't feature mobs that require you to overlevel them to beat.

And, as was noted above, not all classes *have* a CC, including some classes that are very vulnerable to melee attacks.

To the gentleman who responded to me, I have no idea what class you play, I imagine a high dps output class. I rolled healer, so my fights take longer, and where I am at now strong mob pats tend to join my party, so for me, its been enjoyably challenging.

Healer classes are easier in this game due to the companion system -- on my healer class, I have no issues. On the DPS class, however, there are substantially more difficulties with the same "type of" challenges.

You need utilize your cooldowns better. Even your only a few second stuns like Stasis, Force Push, and Pommel Strike make all the difference.

As a tank I used a DPS companion 90% of the time, and rarely have much trouble. You're complaining about having to heal afterwards? What do you want? To end every fight with 80% HP? :rolleyes:

I hear you! The worst ones are the patrollers who walk. When you think you're going to heal back to full after your current battle a walker could either join and kill you, thus throwing away your upper hand, or attack you during a meditate/recup. I always watch for patrollers/walkers and take them out when I have them alone, and if there are mobs all along their route I take out the mobs, wait for them, then wait for the patroller.

I noticed that at around 40, you not only get multiple silvers but they have their own CCs. Companions don't have stun breakers. Sorcerors can unstun companions, but can other classes?

I found it a steep learning curve because fighting them at level 36 means they will resist CCs frequently, but even without that it'd be pretty tedious.

One thing it's not is a 'challenge'. Going from being a human flow chart (spell rotations) to a slightly more complex human flow chart (spell rotations w/ mandatory CC and interrupts) isn't challenging. It isn't even thinking, and any notion of requiring skill to interrupt a 3 second cast when you have 1.5 second latency on top of a 1.5 second ability activation delay is just bunk. A challenge makes you think creatively, a hard thing to do in MMOs except in pvp and new content.

Yeah, I really don't like Strong NPCs.

They just have too much health and it slows down the game a bit too much. Buff their damage, give them interesting abilities, whatever, just lower their health pool so I'm not burning time killing high health mooks. The same with those generic elites scattered here and there.

It's not challenging or fun to just whack at a high health mob.

"Dear MMO maker. I have found that something in the game is still somewhat challenging. Please nerf it."

I really hate the mainstream sometimes.

I guess you didn't read the OP at all. He didn't complain about difficulty at all. He complained about tedium. The mobs are easy, they are just annoying to fight because they take forever. Either read topics before you post or go look up a little thing called reading comprehension. You need a bit of it.

I want the boss fights to be challenging, that's fun. It is NOT fun to sloooowly wade through pack after pack of trash mobs, each fight the same as the last, just to reach a specific set of coordinates on the map, and then do it again for the next quest.

did i say they were too hard? no, i said they were tedious.

people need to learn that time consuming =\= difficult.

MMO are tedious.

Complaining on the forum you're saying its hard.

About stop complaining and play the game?

I got to 50 easily with my Smuggler/Gunslinger with their broken cover.

You die, you figure out a way and you get them down.

Simple.

Yeah, I really don't like Strong NPCs.

It's not challenging or fun to just whack at a high health mob.

As a Gunslinger I have no problem with 2+2 regulars or even three (if ones a droid) with either Guss (healer) or Risha (sniper). It's just a useless timesink to slow me down hoping to get $15 out of me. Too bad for them I should finish my single player storyline before my 30 days runs out. The funny thing is Bioware/Mythic has gone out of their way to remove from DAoC some of the very same ancient timesinks that they turned around and put into this game. Good luck with that BW :rolleyes:

I guess you didn't read the OP at all. He didn't complain about difficulty at all. He complained about tedium. The mobs are easy, they are just annoying to fight because they take forever. Either read topics before you post or go look up a little thing called reading comprehension. You need a bit of it.

Why did you think he took the time to come here and complain? He wants them dropping faster. That would take a nerf bat to their health.

To the OP.

Gear and skill rotation.

Learning to play the build you have is the key to success.

Your complaining about a Vanguard etc.. try a Shadow.

A shadow sucks until level 32, and it comes down to one skill " Spinning Strike "

I pulled my hair out over that stupid class but now have learned to love it.

Just stick at it.

Use your 1 minute stun etc on one mob, then burn the other down without using area of effect.

2 silver mobs is the same as an elite. So yeah, 2 of those + some trash and it is a tough fight.

Some of the enemy skills totally **** me in seconds, those darn fire droids, or the supressive fire ones, I am so dead if I don't crowd control quickly.

I think there is a misunderstanding in this thread. I don't think the OP is talking about the DIFFICULTY of fighting mobs but the tedium of it. For those that don't know... it means to be tedious - which is different from difficult.

Tedious means too long, slow, dull. Which explains exactly what silvers are like. They aren't hard or difficult, they are tedious fights which put people to sleep.

Edited by Thaonnor