the tedium of fighting high level silvers is killing this game for me.

UjellyTrollicus

As a Gunslinger I have no problem with 2+2 regulars or even three (if ones a droid) with either Guss (healer) or Risha (sniper). It's just a useless timesink to slow me down hoping to get $15 out of me. Too bad for them I should finish my single player storyline before my 30 days runs out. The funny thing is Bioware/Mythic has gone out of their way to remove from DAoC some of the very same ancient timesinks that they turned around and put into this game. Good luck with that BW :rolleyes:

There is something seriously wrong with certain people. The game has 8 classes but some less than brilliant people rush through 1 of the 8 stories so they can quit once the free month is over. I guess if you call those people any names you get a warning but it seems a silly strategy. Why do these types ever bother buying these types of games?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this new mantra.... "I don't want it easier, I just want it less tedious!".

Shockingly, to be less tedious what they ask for is an easing of the game or its mechanics.

These complainers sit down and spend a lot of time trying to come up with new ways to complain about the same thing.

There is something seriously wrong with certain people. The game has 8 classes but some less than brilliant people rush through 1 of the 8 stories so they can quit once the free month is over. I guess if you call those people any names you get a warning but it seems a silly strategy. Why do these types ever bother buying these types of games?

Probably because it was marketed as an MMORPG with end game that it doesn't have.

I actually had a lot of fun rushing my belsavis class quest at level 39/40. I hit 40 halfway through and I didnt really have THAT much trouble. But thats prolly cuz Im a scrapper and I make sure to cc one silver elite -> burst the other with relic crit buff

As the game says though, stims are wonderful LOL.

Sounds like you need to up your Personal and companions DPS.

I have a half heal, half balance speced Sage. Put simply I blow up elite mobs. Gold Mobs with 25khps take me a couple minutes though. I can still burn them down very quickly. Also using a DPS companion. Higher level is all about DPS it seems.

Also if you think this is tedium you never played EQ1. There latest expansion has trash mobs that will take you 3 minutes to solo. Trash mobs, not a boss, not a named. High DPS classes have an easier time on these games, it's just simple facts.

I am also a Marauder.

I sure loved beating a Gold in my class quest three times in a row, and having to wait for all my cooldowns to reset (20min an attempt) in order to complete it.

That fight...Dear god that fight. The nightmares.

The Sith Warrior class is the only one I've seen valid complaints about getting WTFSTOMPED in fights where most other classes do not.

Edited by OBLCDiomedes

Sounds like you need to up your Personal and companions DPS.

I have a half heal, half balance speced Sage. Put simply I blow up elite mobs. Gold Mobs with 25khps take me a couple minutes though. I can still burn them down very quickly. Also using a DPS companion. Higher level is all about DPS it seems.

Also if you think this is tedium you never played EQ1. There latest expansion has trash mobs that will take you 3 minutes to solo. Trash mobs, not a boss, not a named. High DPS classes have an easier time on these games, it's just simple facts.

If you read the post below yours, you'll see that it isn't the case that DPS classes are having an easier time. DPS classes in this game have a very small margin of error because of much fewer CC/survivability type skills. In my experience in the game, healer classes have it easier due to the companion mechanic and their survival/CC skills, not pure DPS classes.

I am having no trouble. I am so good at this game. I can kill 10 silver guys at a time. I am a level 85 Paladin. You all must be bad. You should re roll. Learn to play your class. I am so good. You are bad and I don't like you.

Now that we know how each big your e peens are, yes the multitudes of silver mobs are ANNOYING. Is it difficult? No. And before you start saying "but but you said annoying so you think its hard YOU'RE BAD" Let me define:

an·noy·ing/əˈnoi-iNG/Adjective: Causing irritation or annoyance: "annoying habits".

Much like most of these egotistical posts annoy me, I can not describe that annoyance as being "Difficult." Irritating, yes.

I am having no trouble. I am so good at this game. I can kill 10 silver guys at a time. I am a level 85 Paladin. You all must be bad. You should re roll. Learn to play your class. I am so good. You are bad and I don't like you.

Now that we know how each big your e peens are, yes the multitudes of silver mobs are ANNOYING. Is it difficult? No. And before you start saying "but but you said annoying so you think its hard YOU'RE BAD" Let me define:

an·noy·ing/əˈnoi-iNG/Adjective: Causing irritation or annoyance: "annoying habits".

Much like most of these egotistical posts annoy me, I can not describe that annoyance as being "Difficult." Irritating, yes.

lol. Well said.

I don't mind silvers most of the time. I had a blast throughout almost all of the leveling experience, which included me killing uncounted thousands of silver mobs along the way. But the last few planets seems to hit you with them relentlessly, and they have annoying CC, and/or are large walls of health.

I theorize that BW is trying to motivate people to learn how to use their CC, so they will be better players at 50 doing level 50 things. But there is no transition, no warning, you just go from being able to cut through stuff at a decent pace, to spending huge amounts of time getting through one group, and then looking at the 20 other identical groups you are going to need to get past to get to the little green dot on your map. As someone else said, even with CC, the sudden hike in difficulty makes you feel like you're doing something wrong, and like you've suddenly become bad. I ended up looking on the forums for that specific reason. I wrote a post that began with 'Am I doing something wrong here?'

I like difficulty just fine. I spend longer than I needed to trying to strategize ways to solo

heroic quests, just because it's a good feeling when you manage to succeed. That good feeling is absent when it's just regular stuff.

i love this game, but i am absolutely astonished at how notfun silvers are at higher levels. they take just far too long to kill, scale up way higher than players do. a level 30 strong enemy is nothing compared to a lv 45 strong enemy. in most cases 2 of them together is absolutely lethal, and they basically force me to use my healing companion, thus lowering total damage, and lengthening fights, which only makes them more boring.

they are so anti-fun that i find myself just leveling alts constantly. i log on ready to play this awesome game, ready to do some missions, and experience the story, then after a few silvers all the fun gets completely sucked away, and i feel like doing something else.

Posted previously about this, was shot down by the so called "Elite" crowd, game simply has too many Elites.

I'm sure someone will respond and say, "I like the added "challenge"", those folks are masachists and enjoy stupidity.

They are called Idiots, ignore them.

If you read the post below yours, you'll see that it isn't the case that DPS classes are having an easier time. DPS classes in this game have a very small margin of error because of much fewer CC/survivability type skills. In my experience in the game, healer classes have it easier due to the companion mechanic and their survival/CC skills, not pure DPS classes.

If they aren't doing the type of DPS my sage does, than they aren't a DPS class. I blow through elites without ever having to heal. It's more about my range damage and knockbacks + slows that might give me the edge there.

• 2 weeks later...

Making something easier is not the exclusive solution to making something less tedious. That argument is narrow, simplistic and indicative of either an inability/unwillingness to think laterally, or a deliberate distortion of reasoning to support an argument.

More emergent gameplay, and not in the forms of patrols and respawns, is a solution to the tedium.

Chess is challenging. Snakes and ladders is tedious.

Just get rid of Strong con mobs altogether. They are not heroic enough to give any satisfaction when you kill one, and they've got just enough health and damage to annoy the crap out of you.

Weak > Normal > Elite > Champ > Boss

Edited by Traumahawk

The issue I've found with the silver mobs with my Knight is not so much that they're "difficult" per se, but rather the way they seem to have been balanced. More than gold elites, fights with silver strong mobs tend to revolve more around proper use of cooldowns and interrupting their more dangerous skills.

I usually do pretty well when it comes to rotating cooldowns, so to speak, but when trying to use the instants (riposte, kick), or the "opportunity strikes" (opportune/pommel strike), it's not so great. Ability delays AND things just plain not firing can be a massive PITA when so much of what the Sentinel does depends on firing these things as appropriate. Kick is specially bad, not only it recharges slower than the CD it creates on the abilities it interrupts (so you can't really use it constantly to interrupt the same thing), but often it won't even bloody fire. If it's delayed it's even worse, not only it doesn't interrupt what it's supposed to, but by firing too late it'll enter its cooldown and leave you hanging for the next attack. Many of these silver mobs have one (rarely two) ability that you HAVE to interrupt or it makes mincemeat out of you (I've registered up to 1/3 of my lifebar in a single shot). Riposte could make quite a difference when it comes to DPS, but again, for that to happen it has to freaking work when fired. Ability delays just don't mix with the Sentinel.

There's also the fact that rotating soft CCs and interrupts works well when you have one, but does diggity bugger all when there's two of them. That's why, paradoxically, I much rather fight one gold than two silvers - soft CC is a lot more effective with a single target. On top of that, I often find myself waiting between some groups when there's an abundance of silvers accompanied by normal mobs, just for the cooldowns to come back.

It's a bit better when the silvers are droids, the Sentinel can take one of them out of the fight, but the long-CC ability doesn't work on organics.

Frankly, I'm not thrilled by how my Sentinel has turned out, and the problems are more glaring when it comes to fight Silver mobs (which are often mixed with more mobs, be it a second silver or a handful of normal ones). My merc is a hell of a lot more fun to play - kiting and line-of-sight games work every time as expected, as opposed to all the abilities that may or may not fire when you need or have the opportunity to.

In theory having a strong category somewhere between a weak and an elite is a good idea, however, they are dumped liberally in junk packs you have to clear a bazillion of them, which slows down the pace of the game without really adding a challenge level, unless you are unfortunate to cop multiple chain healing strong mobs and you can't CC. which is just bad class/content design.

Strongs avoid the debilitating stuns most classes have a few and it is often cumbersome to CC a strong in a pack without your companion breaking the CC. Again, this doesn't add to the challenge level, it is just a time sink or you have to go to annoying lengths to break them up allowing your companion to use half their abilities which have an area of effect.

Strongs the way the game currently plays should have a lot more health than weaks, a bit better mitigation and a bit more damage. Some strongs are more potent than elites and some put out more damage than some champions of the same level if they are given a number of elemental or internal damage attacks. The mob rating system of level + weak/strong/elite/champion/boss should be fairly easy to determine what challenge level a mob is going to be.

If you are going to have a lot packs with strongs in them then they need to be tuned down so the pacing is not way off. Given how long it takes to get from 1 to 50 having strongs there as a level time sink is pretty much obsolete as it wont add a material amount of time to the overall journey, it just makes the journey less enjoyable. Toning them down a bit also allows you to add multiple strongs in packs to adjust packs you want to be more challenging, but having them individually require a fair bit of effort makes them cumbersome for tank/healer classes that don't put out the same amount of dps as a dps class and much harder to balance packs across all types of class combinations.

The flow of fighting, the pace of the game needs to be at a good place and I avoid packs with a strong in them where possible not because it is hard, but because it is a greater time sink, i will take more damage needing to spend more time post fight recovering but the fight is as much a foregone conclusion as the pack of just weaks. Multiple strong is the only time the presence of a strong is a challenge and 2 strong, especially chain healing strongs can be too difficult for tank or healer classes.

Edited by traft

I agree with OP. Although I am a scoundrel healer and I get stealth and cc. So when i get bored of killing Stealth past everything.

Since I pvp a bit i've out leveled my class content so I only need to CC on heroic 2+ quests.

But if I didn't have stealth and had to fight my way out, that could be very tedious.

P.S I did try that locusts quest solo and I managed to kill 2 out of 4 in the first group before i was forced to vanish. So not quite that OP yet. (in the end I did with a group of 4) :D

Edited by Ugugg