[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about you, but I didn't preorder this game, and even if I did I sure as hell didn't preorder it for March 2012.

That is a good point, but at least Bioware admits it is an issue and wants to fix it. That shows that they actually do listen and care.

That is a good point, but at least Bioware admits it is an issue and wants to fix it. That shows that they actually do listen and care.

The question is can they fix it?

They disabled it for performance issues, but it obviously didn't help anything, game still runs like **** for a ton of people in various situations.

I don't see their engine evolving over night to support even more weight.

And you must be the type that says "he/she beats me but he/she loves me".

Dude - whether they were "forced" to by EA or not doesn't matter. They have deliberately lied to us about quite a few things - and notice how they have ONLY listened and responded to things the community brings up out of their own detective work. If the community had never brought this to light - you'd still be sitting there with ****** graphics and they would have never said a word.

Wake up - they are not an all nice company that will bake cookies for you. I really think the choice of game engine and the horrible resource intensive code in this game will ruin itself.

The question is can they fix it?

They disabled it for performance issues, but it obviously didn't help anything, game still runs like **** for a ton of people in various situations.

I don't see their engine evolving over night to support even more weight.

You might be right. Can't be sure, only time will tell I guess.

Dude - whether they were "forced" to by EA or not doesn't matter. They have deliberately lied to us about quite a few things - and notice how they have ONLY listened and responded to things the community brings up out of their own detective work. If the community had never brought this to light - you'd still be sitting there with ****** graphics and they would have never said a word.

Wake up - they are not an all nice company that will bake cookies for you. I really think the choice of game engine and the horrible resource intensive code in this game will ruin itself.

I like Bioware, what can I say? They are a company still, of course, and why would they want to spend resources changing stuff when they are this busy right now if people are happy? It is good that they listen to us and change their plans based on what we say.

You might be right. Can't be sure, only time will tell I guess.

In the mean time.. I'll be sinking my new comp I made specifically for this into something more delcious.

I have like 10 more days left here, but I can still browse / not post though, the forums for updates I assume.

any ideas as to what though? Could reactivate rift I guess..

Mmmm, cookies. I am fairly certain that cookies fix everything. Shame on them for not baking cookies. Doesn't matter anyway, even if they did bake cookies they wouldnt be in high resolution unless you were talking to them. And really, who talks to cookies?

I cant find the option for the reflections

THe setting that gives those reflections is found under

Tweaks - Standard Tweaks - Force Mipmap Filter.

But personally I think the game looks better with it off. The reflections are still there, but they're much more subtle. On Dromund Kaas you can clearly tell the difference between the wet and dry surfaces, but with this on many surfaces are too reflective.

Posting my thoughts here, since they closed the other thread... I'm usually not a forum poster since I spend more of my time actually playing the game, but sometimes there's things important enough to bring me here.

Firstly, I realize that Bioware thinks people are stupid and that if you enable high-res textures which would only be usable by top-end PC's, people might whine and complain that their crappy computer can't run the game and they'll feel entitled to just slap their settings on High and say it's the game that's poorly optimized, not them being idiots.

"The development team is exploring options to improve the fidelity of the game, particularly for those of you with high-spec PCs. It will be a significant piece of development work and it won't be an overnight change"

This is nonsense. You already have high-res textures, we've all seen the cutscenes and then wince as we go back to blurry crap. They're already in the game, all you need to do is let us select the setting.

Instead of simply denying the feature to all of us, how about I offer a suggestion...

If you really feel that people are too stupid to be trusted to select their own settings, here's a solution. Have the launcher run a scan at the first time you launch the game, let it detect what a PC's specs are and then set Low/Medium/High/whatever accordingly, and gray out any higher options that they cannot run without severe framerate loss.

This accomplishes the same thing you're trying to achieve, without punishing those who actually have good enough computers to run the game pretty much maxed out.

You think this suggestion would cause people to rage about being prevented from doing what they want? Oh, hey, well you might want to re-read this thread (and the other threads) and consider what you've already done.

People keep telling you that you are wrong, yet you still keep on trucking. I have to admire your perseverance. Now that is the defintion of not giving a F***. ;)

But I'm not wrong nor has anyone said I am. Nowhere does he say they are working on bring the hi-res textures into the game. Cya guy, your previous posts are more that reason enough for anyone to discount however you try to save face. The difference between someone who pretends to know what they're talking about in a forum such as yourself this is that there are many here that actually do, and we can automatically recognize persons such as yourself that don't have a clue,

And go as far in thier frustration as to report very vanilla comments such as you have to mods as violations. Like I said several pages ago quit while you're behind.

Edited by United_Strafes

In the mean time.. I'll be sinking my new comp I made specifically for this into something more delcious.

I have like 10 more days left here, but I can still browse / not post though, the forums for updates I assume.

any ideas as to what though? Could reactivate rift I guess..

Blech, I hated Rift. I would wait for GW2 maybe, if you still feel like playing fantasy. Or skip the mmo scene altogether and play single player games. That is where the good graphics really are.

There really isn't any other mmo that I consider fun right now. SWTOR may have its issues, but it is better than what else is out there (my personal opinion only, don't flame me *ducks and covers* !).

That is what he is talking about. Please explain how greater visual fidelity of you character and others around could mean anything but better textures in the context of his post. I would seriously love to hear an alternative.

It's simple, really, he didn't come out and say "high rez textures", he didn't come out and say "cutscene-quality textures" he said "greater visual fidelity"

If we have 50% texture compression now, "greater visual fidelity" could be 49% texture compression, 25% texture compression, textures even better than what we have in cutscenes now, it could be bloody anything.

I think the terminology for this is "weasel word". It was a promise of some liquid, intangible amount of improvement, rather than a cut-and-dry "this is our intended goal".

Mmmm, cookies. I am fairly certain that cookies fix everything. Shame on them for not baking cookies. Doesn't matter anyway, even if they did bake cookies they wouldnt be in high resolution unless you were talking to them. And really, who talks to cookies?

what I bought : http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/oreo100.jpg

Wha I REALLY bought: http://www.taquitos.net/im/sn/CremeBetweens.jpg

But I'm not wrong nor has anyone said I am. Nowhere does he say they are working on bring the hi-res textures into the game. Cya guy, your previous posts are more that reason enough for anyone to discount however you try to save face. The difference between someone who pretends to know what they're talking about in a forum such as this is that there are many here that actually do, and we can automatically recognize persons such as yourself that don't have a clue,

And go as far in thier frustration as to report very vanilla comments such as you have. Like I said several pages ago quit while you're behind.

Reread the thread from where we started talking if you want to see where others said you were wrong. You clearly skimmed over those ones.

Blech, I hated Rift. I would wait for GW2 maybe, if you still feel like playing fantasy. Or skip the mmo scene altogether and play single player games. That is where the good graphics really are.

There really isn't any other mmo that I consider fun right now. SWTOR may have its issues, but it is better than what else is out there (my personal opinion only, don't flame me *ducks and covers* !).

Wouldn't flame you for giving me advice haha

I've been thinking about Single Players, but I feel like I'm about to leave one >.>

The MMO grind is pretty tiresome though. Haven't played portal 2 yet, maybe I'll get that bad boy.

Lol, I have a strange sense of pride in the fact we just summed up an entire thread with cookie comparisons.

Its basically how I feel, when I go somewhere with old people and they say OH I BROUGHT COOKIES, and hand me those vanilla rip off things...

Edited by mcfabulous