[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I'm so glad this celebrity decided to chime in. Thanks for letting us know. Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you, as they say.

Seriously, if you folks obsess over character graphics, you're losing sight of the big picture. Do you play zoomed in nearly all the way, and do you focus on the sharpness of the Sith Inquisitor's chest texture when you're carrying a Huttball to the goal, and two guys are doing their darnedest to slow you/kill you?

Because if that is a concern for you in a game like this... where you should be playing at a decent zoom-out to see the action around you... and FP/Ops/PVP action abounds... well, I feel bad for you. You either haven't played many MMOs, or your priorities are severely messed up.

Power windows don't make or break a car either, but if you order 2012 luxury car that shows up with with manual windows, you're still gonna say 'w t f fix it now'.

Edited by Khechari

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He could mean something like higher res textures based on how close you are to the person. It could be a million things, but we could speculate all day long and still be wrong. I think the safest bet is he meant hi res textures, or at least something better than what we have now. That is all my point is really, nothing else.

"higher" in your words "higher res" is ambiguous.

You said "I think the safest bet..." is ambiguous.

That is the point. You do not understand PR and please pull your head form between Bioware's "r" and "e".

Good. Thank you for proving me right. Next.

Please don't take my responses as indicating you are trolling me. I see what you're doing.

How bout reading the rest of it, as aposed to seeing what you want and only quoting that?

Didn't think so.

TOR does not put my 69502gb at 100% usage, nor are either of the first 2 cores on my quad at 100% usage.

Nor have I ever heard my gpu fan pick up speed.

The graphics SUUUUUCK, and my PC is half asleep.

Get it got it good?

Mkay,lol.

As for the Fleet fps, the juttery fps is bad coding, not a 1337 AAA 2012 mmo title.

I can play any other mmorpg that looks 2x better, without this issue.

Old ones that were released years ago I might add.

Conan, Lotro, or Aion blow TOR outa the park graphicaly, and run like butter.

Edited by Your_dominus

Dude, Stephen Reid said they are looking at improving the fidelity of the characters around you and yourself. That may or may not be hi res textures (Mr. Reid probably doesn't even know for sure yet), but the option is certainly possible, as he is replying to everyone's issue about no hi res textures in game. I do not have the power to tell the future, so I cannot say for sure what options they will come up with, but he has certainly expressed in his post that they want to increase the character model graphics because people are unhappy with the current textures (this could mean higher res textures, or it could mean something else that produces the same effect). Are you trolling me here? If so, please let me know so I can stop talking to you.

Trolling? You've reported 2 of my vanilla posts and sent me a PM 'Dude' how the hell am I trolling you?

Edited by United_Strafes

You don't notice.

You.

That's the difference between you and me. I'm an avid gamer, and can see unpolished half finished crud when I see it.

Uh, son, I've been playing MMOs since 2000. I've seen the launch of probably a dozen MMOs, I've spent thousands of dollars on F2P and P2P MMOs, and I've probably been max level in more MMOs than most people have heard of, I AM an avid gamer. You may be more experienced at MMOs than me, that's unimportant as I'm more experienced than the overwhelmingly vast majority of gamers.

I've been a faction leader (12sky2, LongHaoKan faction leader of the Guans), the highest level in a game (was also the strongest person in it, by far, LOA), I've done 16 hour+ grinds (Rappelz, 12sky2, Cabal), I've been in the top guilds of entire games (LOA Avalon, 12sky2) as well as top guild on servers (BSGO ReB on Caprica prior to their fall from glory, Rappelz HnK on Bahamut, 12sky2 Die4honor on Devotion, GodzAmongMien in Warrock). I am experienced in all forms of MMO to an extreme degree, and while you can say with certainty that I have ABSOLUTELY no life, you can also say with certainty that I'm more of a gamer than Eta Carinae is a star.

As such, I know that the fact is while you're fighting something you're not staring at your body thinking "wow, these graphics aren't very hi res". You're a bit more busy with, I don't know, managing your skills, observing your opponent? So unless you play all the way zoomed in, and don't focus on the fight at all and are instead focusing on your characters looks, my point still stands. While you're actually playing (fighting, dialogue, etc.) you're not going to notice the textures.

Edited by BobTheTeepo

"higher" in your words "higher res" is ambiguous.

You said "I think the safest bet..." is ambiguous.

That is the point. You do not understand PR and please pull your head form between Bioware's "r" and "e".

I really don't care that much. Think whatever you want.

My computer already runs the game at like 120fps on the highest settings allowed including forcing AA. Please give me some options to utilize my computer... I only need 60fps so I can jam in a lot more detail. Those high res textures and lighting when I click my ships holo terminal for a second make me sad.

Not everyone is running 5 year old tech. Those of us with lots of memory, video memory, and have the game running off a SSD can handle the hardcore texture thrashing to support using high res textures. Its why we build our own rigs like this.

Uh, son, I've been playing MMOs since 2000. I've seen the launch of probably a dozen MMOs, I've spent thousands of dollars on F2P and P2P MMOs, and I've probably been max level in more MMOs than most people have heard of, I AM an avid gamer. You may be more experienced at MMOs than me, that's unimportant as I'm more experienced than the overwhelmingly vast majority of gamers. I've been a faction leader (12sky2, LongHaoKan faction leader of the Guans), the highest level in a game (was also the strongest person in it, by far, LOA), I've done 16 hour+ grinds (Rappelz, 12sky2, Cabal), I've been in the top guilds of entire games (LOA Avalon, 12sky2) as well as top guild on servers (BSGO ReB on Caprica prior to their fall from glory, Rappelz HnK on Bahamut, 12sky2 Die4honor on Devotion, GodzAmongMien in Warrock)

As such, I know that the fact is while you're fighting something you're not staring at your body thinking "wow, these graphics aren't very hi res". You're a bit more busy with, I don't know, managing your skills, observing your opponent? So unless you play all the way zoomed in, and don't focus on the fight at all and are instead focusing on your characters looks, my point still stands. While you're actually playing (fighting, dialogue, etc.) you're not going to notice the textures.

wall of text translated- 'I can piss farther than you'

Uh, son, I've been playing MMOs since 2000. I've seen the launch of probably a dozen MMOs, I've spent thousands of dollars on F2P and P2P MMOs, and I've probably been max level in more MMOs than most people have heard of, I AM an avid gamer. You may be more experienced at MMOs than me, that's unimportant as I'm more experienced than the overwhelmingly vast majority of gamers. I've been a faction leader (12sky2, LongHaoKan faction leader of the Guans), the highest level in a game (was also the strongest person in it, by far, LOA), I've done 16 hour+ grinds (Rappelz, 12sky2, Cabal), I've been in the top guilds of entire games (LOA Avalon, 12sky2) as well as top guild on servers (BSGO ReB on Caprica prior to their fall from glory, Rappelz HnK on Bahamut, 12sky2 Die4honor on Devotion, GodzAmongMien in Warrock)

So what? That changes nothing trololol. Same variations of the same argument are all valid. "they lied" "it was in beta" "no high res textures in game right now" "losing the high res option"

nothing you said in that post means a weasel to me. oh wait that is because i am a bad selfish person who should die. I know, you don't need to tell me again.

Guys Mr Ried said they were fixing it. What the heck more do you want? He said around the 1.2 patch which is probably pretty soon, since he said around Q1 which is Jan-Apr. Simmer down. We got an official response and a estimate of when they are gonna fix it. Edited by Oddzball

The way I see it is this.

Why not give the user the option to run the game on any setting they want? In the end, if they choose poorly, it will only hurt their personal gameplay. After which, they can turn it down again. This leads me to believe that they are not allowing this for reasons beyond what they say. Perhaps they noticed something during beta when using the textures and opt to just disable for now like they did with the matching armor option, remember that?

I see no harm in giving options. Or did I miss something? Is there harm in it?

In any case, I believe they should be up front about this stuff.

Strange, I've been playing for longer than you and I'm right on the same page as the other fellow.

Fact of the matter is you're arguing subjective points - however, anyone who calls the current textures great has exposed themselves and undid on subjectiveness. They suck. The textures are TERRIBLE - on ANY scale or metric used to compare bad to good textures.

wall of text translated- 'I can piss farther than you'

No, was just saying that I count as an avid gamer. I know plenty of people that have more qualifications than I. I just think people should learn about what they talk about... Before they talk about it. It's a wise policy.

I've never played an MMO before ever, and I notice the textures all the time as well as the other horrible graphical missteps, judging by the size of this thread others do as well, A LOT of others, so my question to you posting in a thread about hi-res textures is:

What is your point, because you grind for hours on end I'm not suppossed to notice the horrible low res textures?

Edited by United_Strafes

I could write a video game in Unity 3-D that WOULD just about destroy any high end GPU - and bog down your CPU to the point that it would be like alt tabbing in 1994.

Because I know how to code it very very very badly. I wouldn't destroy anything that's been instantiated, and I would make the engine draw everything that isn't even on screen. But hey, your GPU is made to process things right?

You're just not understanding. Bad code handling an intensive engine is just as important to your gaming experience as really thoughtful, good code in an engine that floats.

Well, I agree with you that things can be coded badly, but we're talking about textures here.

Just because they up the textures doesn't mean they add a bunch of lousy code on top of it. The scale up to the higher textures should be linear. i.e. a more powerful card should be able to handle it.

No, was just saying that I count as an avid gamer. I know plenty of people that have more qualifications than I. I just think people should learn about what they talk about... Before they talk about it. It's a wise policy.

So I guess the 6 times this thread has been reposted, and all its posters fighting against the crappy textures, must not be avid gamers.

lol. People like you make me glad I give charity.

Strange, I've been playing for longer than you and I'm right on the same page as the other fellow.

Fact of the matter is you're arguing subjective points - however, anyone who calls the current textures great has exposed themselves and undid on subjectiveness. They suck. The textures are TERRIBLE - on ANY scale or metric used to compare bad to good textures.

I am arguing subjectively, that's why I mentioned multiple time that this is MY opinion. I'm just saying I THINK it's shallow to quit a game over graphics. You can be more qualified than me, but that does not mean that my qualifications are not more than sufficient to discuss this topic (which the person called my qualifications into question, so it's not like I was going out of my way to show them).

I can respect that people have a different opinion than I, but don't claim that I don't know what I'm talking about. Especially if you have NO idea if I do or do not have a clue.

Trolling? You've reported 2 of my vanilla posts and sent me a PM 'Dude' how the hell am I trolling you?

I only reported because you insulted me. If you want to say that Stephen Reid does not mean that the graphics will be imrpoved for character models in patch 1.2, please take it up with him. I read what he said, and that is what it seemed like to me.

Edited by Fellthar

Guys Mr Ried said they were fixing it. What the heck more do you want? He said around the 1.2 patch which is probably pretty soon, since he said around Q1 which is Jan-Apr. Simmer down. We got an official response and a estimate of when they are gonna fix it.

No, he said nothing of the sort.

He said improvments to visual fidelity. And what does that even mean?

Are they fixing the attrocious, hidiously pathetic draw distance on foliage?

How bout the low res textures?

Who knows!

But wait! He said visual fidelity, so /thread.

I mean, really?

Edited by Your_dominus